PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Reed says “no thanks” to Bengals, former teammates lament his departure

TampaSteelGirl
11-18-2010, 01:58 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/18/jeff-reed-says-no-thanks-to-bengals-former-teammates-lament-his-departure/

Jeff Reed says “no thanks” to Bengals, former teammates lament his departure

Jeff Reed says “no thanks” to Bengals, former teammates lament his departure
Posted by Mike Florio on November 18, 2010, 9:35 AM EST
Initially, agent Don Henderson wasn’t willing to identify either of the teams that have offered a job to former Steelers kicker Jeff Reed.

Henderson has since decided to sing.

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Henderson acknowledged that the Bengals wanted Reed.

When the Bengals signed undrafted rookie kicker Aaron Pettrey after Reed was released on Tuesday, we assumed that the Bengals were simply filling the roster spot after the placement of Mike Nugent on injured reserve, in the hopes of making their interest in Reed less obvious. Don’t be surprised if the Bengals sign a guy with actual regular-season kicking experience before Sunday.

Meanwhile, the sudden termination of Reed has ruffled some feathers in the locker room. Henderson said that linebacker James Harrison and other players “flooded” Reed with phone calls, and that many of his teammates “could not understand” the decision to dump the man who had kicked for the Steelers since 2002.

“It just gives us a sense that nobody’s bigger than the team,” linebacker James Farrior said, per Bouchette. “Jeff Reed was one of our main guys around here. He’s been here nine years, he came in with me. He’s definitely a leader who came in, he’s always done a good job. He’s had a rough year this year. They decided to release him. It was a big release, he’s a big-time player, and we’re sad to see him go.”

“I hate to see Jeff Reed leave under the circumstances in the middle of the season,” receiver Antwaan Randle El told Bouchette. “I’m sure something other than just kicking had to be involved in that deal.”
We think Randle El’s instincts are right on the money. The Steelers could have easily justified letting Reed walk away after the 2009 season, but instead the Steelers used the $2.8 million franchise tag to keep him around. Surely, something more than a shanked 26-yarder in a game the Steelers were going to lose anyway caused the Steelers suddenly decide to move on.

Im glad he said no....

HUNT4SEVEN
11-18-2010, 02:15 PM
lmaoooooooooooooo atleast he was smart enough not to go to the Bungels lol, I for 1 am glad he's gone though...

LatrobePA
11-18-2010, 03:15 PM
He'll move on to a better team than that..Glad he said FU...

SteelCityKid5
11-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Meanwhile, the sudden termination of Reed has ruffled some feathers in the locker room. Henderson said that linebacker James Harrison and other players “flooded” Reed with phone calls, and that many of his teammates “could not understand” the decision to dump the man who had kicked for the Steelers since 2002.

Really? Come on, I know youre all locker room friends and buddies outside of football but "to not understand"? He was great for us and has been struggling for the last two years. Thanks for the good times but its time to move on

LatrobePA
11-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Lets not forget him whiffing last year on some of the KO's returned for TD's...I think it was the right move!!

LarryNJ
11-19-2010, 11:34 AM

Really? Come on, I know youre all locker room friends and buddies outside of football but "to not understand"? He was great for us and has been struggling for the last two years. Thanks for the good times but its time to move on

Exactly, it's very easy to understand, and if it's true you that you don't understand let me explain it to you. Do your job at a high level or you're gone.

nuclearchihuahuas
11-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Exactly, it's very easy to understand, and if it's true you that you don't understand let me explain it to you. Do your job at a high level or you're gone.

YEP! I hope the rest of the team catches the message. Maybe it will help kick some of our less than stellar veterans into focus mode.

Scorp
11-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Does it really matter what team he goes to? I would not be surprised if he's back with the Steelers. lol.

nuclearchihuahuas
11-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Does it really matter what team he goes to? I would not be surprised if he's back with the Steelers. lol.

I was thinking that too. I bet they told him to take the rest of the season to work out his issues and try and come back again next year.