PDA

View Full Version : Raiders won't attack Steelers like the Patriots did

harpo
11-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Raiders won’t attack Steelers in same way Patriots did
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 18, 2010, 8:39 AM EST

New England had some success spreading the Steelers defense out last Sunday night, but that’s not the Raiders style. Oakland has improved offensively this year with power running and play-action passing. Don’t expect them to change.

“We’re really not [built that way],” Cable said via the Oakland Tribune. “We have to be who we are. At the same time, you look at some of the issues that they had on Sunday night was about spreading them out and mixing them up. . . . At the end of the day, be who you are and you might mix in a few things.”

Read more:

Raiders won't attack Steelers the way Patriots did (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/18/raiders-wont-attack-steelers-in-same-way-patriots-did/)

LatrobePA
11-18-2010, 09:09 AM
Of course not their QB isn't Tom Brady!

They will run the ball....

harpo
11-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Of course not their QB isn't Tom Brady!

They will run the ball....

They don't have the WR personnel to do it, either.

SteelDad
11-18-2010, 09:16 AM
And they don't have Rich Gannon either who absolutely destroyed us with the short passing game years ago.... If I'm LeBeau I'm bringing pressure from the first damn play. Campbell cannot stand in there and everyone knows it. Don't give him a chance to gain confidence. Release the hounds!

TampaSteelGirl
11-18-2010, 09:16 AM
But the Steelers better not underestimate the Raiders like they did last year..they are on a roll and we all know how that goes....i.e. Browns!!

harpo
11-18-2010, 09:32 AM
But the Steelers better not underestimate the Raiders like they did yesterday..they are on a roll and we all know how that goes....i.e. Browns!!

^^^ This....I totally agree.

Jason Campbell may not be Tom Brady but as of late, he's been solid. All they need is one play to gain some confidence. They need to hit them in the mouth early and often.

Farrior Fan
11-18-2010, 12:27 PM
"New England had some success spreading the Steelers defense out last Sunday night"

Are you serious? Does this guy get paid to write? Thats like saying Mike Tyson was a decent fighter in his prime, like saying Elle McPherson was ok looking in the SI swimsuit issues when I was a teenager, the Nazis were somewhat mean to various groups during WWII, Sycamore trees in CA are kinda big, Hurricane Katrina was kinda a big deal, do I need to go on? Did this guy watch more than 2 plays? Brady officially dissected our D and we had ZERO answers. Brady completed 70% of his passes, had 3 TD's to his ROOKIE TE, and totalled 350 yards. Our awesome run D gave up over 100 yards rushing, yeah they had "some success" spreading out our D.

Whats next from this Pulitzer Prize winner? Michael Vick had a mildly effective game vs the Redskins?

LatrobePA
11-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Jason Campbell is a turd...He won't finish the game as the starter!!

However McFadden has been running like a run away truck he'll punish us if we play soft..

lloydfan4life
11-18-2010, 12:55 PM
it's really gonna hurt not having Aaron Smith this weekend. :evilshake:

Goodfrom55
11-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Well, hopefully this give the Steelers an opportunity to do what they do best - stop the run and punish people. My main concern is the o-line and their inability to protect Ben.

Possible vintage 70's game here; 3 yards clouds of dust, last man standing wins.

LatrobePA
11-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Oh yea, Ben is in trouble you can count on that. Their defense is better than the Pats and we all saw that game...

Rampage
11-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Like others alluded to, my first thought was "'Won't' or 'can't'?" Campbell is nothing special. Remember several years ago when this team played Washington and Campbell had not thrown an interception to date? I believe the team walked away with three interceptions in a win.

The issue is whether or not the Steelers look past this game. Last year this team played poorly against poor competition. This year the Raiders are doing somewhat well (top of their division), so will this Steelers team make the same mistake?

The defense should come out and force the Raiders into passing. The secondary has not looked great this year, but I give them the edge versus a quarterback such as Campbell. On the offensive side of the ball they need to protect Ben and quit shooting themselves in the foot with terrible play calling. Wishful thinking, I know.:lol:

coach
11-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Oakland plays in the West and have run up their numbers on some weaker teams, but we have more injuries than a nursing home. This team should not be taken lightly.

OFFENSE

RK TEAM YDS YDS/G PASS P YDS/G RUSH R YDS/G PTS PTS/G

12 Oakland 3249 361.0 1789 198.8 1460 162.2 235 26.1
24 Pittsburgh 2822 313.6 1804 200.4 1018 113.1 200 22.2

DEFENSE

RK TEAM YDS YDS/G PASS P YDS/G RUSH R YDS/G PTS PTS/G

6 Oakland 2786 309.6 1663 184.8 1123 124.8 188 20.9
9 Pittsburgh 2839 315.4 2270 252.2 569 63.2 162 18.0

Raideraholic
11-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Raiders won’t attack Steelers in same way Patriots did
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 18, 2010, 8:39 AM EST

New England had some success spreading the Steelers defense out last Sunday night, but that’s not the Raiders style. Oakland has improved offensively this year with power running and play-action passing. Don’t expect them to change.

“We’re really not [built that way],” Cable said via the Oakland Tribune. “We have to be who we are. At the same time, you look at some of the issues that they had on Sunday night was about spreading them out and mixing them up. . . . At the end of the day, be who you are and you might mix in a few things.”

Read more:

Raiders won't attack Steelers the way Patriots did (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/18/raiders-wont-attack-steelers-in-same-way-patriots-did/)

Raiders have some weapons that should be able to hurt the steelers in the passsing game, even if Steelers can control their running game . The players to watch there are RB darren Mcfadden , FB marcel Reece( has wr skills and TE Zach miller. All can make big plays down the field.

If Raiders oline can give Jason Campbell time, his wr's (louis Murphy, J Ford and DHB) should be able to make some big plays down the field.

LatrobePA
11-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Raiders have some weapons that should be able to hurt the steelers in the passsing game, even if Steelers can control their running game . The players to watch there are RB darren Mcfadden , FB marcel Reece( has wr skills and TE Zach miller. All can make big plays down the field.

If Raiders oline can give Jason Campbell time, his wr's (louis Murphy, J Ford and DHB) should be able to make some big plays down the field.

Not the Raiders of old...It'll be a fight to the end I'm betting!!

Raideraholic
11-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Oh yea, Ben is in trouble you can count on that. Their defense is better than the Pats and we all saw that game...

Raiders Dline is playing as well as any Dline right now. Both DT's R seymour and Tom Kelly have been unstoppable. Raiders DE's Matt Shaughnessy and L Holuston are playing just as well. You can throw out that 26 against the run as the last five games Raiders have been very stout in that area too. Will get back Big John Henderson 6'7 335 wich should further strengthen that run defense.

ctsteelah
11-18-2010, 08:04 PM

Is Bey hurt? I was really impressed with Ford in that he looked like a typical track guy at Clemson but made some nice catches against KC.

The one thing like you said is Campbell needs time. I hope the Steelers bring it often and early because like what others said (ref the Washington game) we may be able to get in his head and he will look pressured even at times when we are not close to sack him.

It will not surprise me if this is a close battle.

harpo
11-18-2010, 08:04 PM
That's all i'm saying and that is this team should not be taken lightly. A lot of fans on this forum took the Ravens, Saints and Patriots lightly and the Steelers broke their hearts.

Raideraholic
11-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Is Bey hurt? I was really impressed with Ford in that he looked like a typical track guy at Clemson but made some nice catches against KC.

The one thing like you said is Campbell needs time. I hope the Steelers bring it often and early because like what others said (ref the Washington game) we may be able to get in his head and he will look pressured even at times when we are not close to sack him.

It will not surprise me if this is a close battle.

Bey had a sore hamstring but he practiced today and will play sunday. DHB gets behind a secondary at least three times a game but Campbell elects to take the safe pass.

IF Campbell struggles Raiders will go to Bruce Gradkowski who is healthy. gradkowski is probably a better matchup against the steelers. He gets the ball out real quick and will use the Wr's. Campbell dosen't throw enough to his wr's electing to throw to the Rb's and Te.

BTW THe Matchup that scares me the most is Steelers NT Casey Hampton versus Raiders Center Samson Satele. Satele struggles against Massive NT and my biggest worry he gets thrown in the backfield and prevents Campbell from stepping up in the pocket. another one to watch is raider rookie LT Jared Veldheer versus James harrison . Veldheer going to be a very good LT in this league but he still a rookie making jump from divison 11. He still learning his craft as a pass blocker and improves every game in that area. Very good run blocker at Lt.

Speeed
11-18-2010, 08:42 PM
My daughter's Daisy Troop could have spread the Steelers out last week. That was ugly. Regardless, I am hoping for a win!:cope:

Farrior Fan
11-18-2010, 09:12 PM
My daughter's Daisy Troop could have spread the Steelers out last week. That was ugly. Regardless, I am hoping for a win!:cope:

yeah but Troy has better hair than any of the Daisy Troopers.

LatrobePA
11-18-2010, 09:15 PM
yeah but Troy has better hair than any of the Daisy Troopers.

LOL at this point that's all he has going for him!!

Raideraholic
11-21-2010, 08:57 AM
They don't have the WR personnel to do it, either.

Raiders Wr can hurt the Steelers secondary bad if Campbell gets time(louis Murphy, Jacoby Ford and DHB(if plays)

You can bet you will see Raiders play alot of two TE formations(with extra OT (khalif barnes) as one of the Tes) Barnes will line up on the side of the OT that needs the most help. Also Raiders Run alot of times sucessfully out of that formation. Steelers come and they don't get there and Raiders Wrs will have a chance to make some big plays down the field.

What your missing is Raiders don't need their Wrs or their running game to win this game. If D Mcfadden dosen't hurt you on the ground he capable of destroying you in the passing game(big time recieving skills that you can use way down the field) FB Marcel Reece was once A WR- he a mismatch against anyone defense . Last point If patriots Te gave the Steelers problems, what to you think a hopefully healthy Te zach miller going to do.

Farrior Fan
11-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Raiders Wr can hurt the Steelers secondary bad if Campbell gets time(louis Murphy, Jacoby Ford and DHB(if plays)

You can bet you will see Raiders play alot of two TE formations(with extra OT (khalif barnes) as one of the Tes) Barnes will line up on the side of the OT that needs the most help. Also Raiders Run alot of times sucessfully out of that formation. Steelers come and they don't get there and Raiders Wrs will have a chance to make some big plays down the field.

What your missing is Raiders don't need their Wrs or their running game to win this game. If D Mcfadden dosen't hurt you on the ground he capable of destroying you in the passing game(big time recieving skills that you can use way down the field) FB Marcel Reece was once A WR- he a mismatch against anyone defense . Last point If patriots Te gave the Steelers problems, what to you think a hopefully healthy Te zach miller going to do.

Luckily none of that mattered because you nailed it on the head with "if Campbell gets time" - finally we blitzed our opponent consistently. And the result is our opponent never had time to let plays develop. I wish we could have seen 1/2 this fire against the Pats.