PDA

View Full Version : New D-Cord?

super cleats
11-17-2010, 04:55 PM
TBH I haven't been impressed with Dick Lebeau's play calling this season, and it was horrible last season.

Has his time come and gone, does he need to retire? I think so we need a new d-cord with fresh new playcalls who actually doesn't leave crappy corners 10 yards off of receivers because there crap and will get beat, he also get's schooled by brady each time, embarrasing steeler nation each time, that was the worst game i have ever seen him call a play, all week leading up to the game i knew brady would toy with him. Obviously some people think he's a sacred god to the steelers and that nobody should question his skills but no adjusting and leaving gay on t.o brings up huge question marks.

your opinions?

SnakeEyes43
11-17-2010, 05:29 PM
I don't think he should reitre, but I am questioning why Gay is not being dealt with. That's on the coaches. The last three weeks Gay has been picked on, and it's costing us games. This needs to be addressed by the D-cord. The entire secondary has been pretty much absent, but Gay is especially horrid. I wish we would try Lewis a little bit at the nickel, I have liked what I've seen from him.

LatrobePA
11-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Be prepared to face some flame...

K Train
11-17-2010, 05:30 PM
when dick retires it will be butler....he must have been promised the job to be sticking around so long

LatrobePA
11-17-2010, 05:32 PM
when dick retires it will be butler....he must have been promised the job to be sticking around so long

Yes this is pretty much etched in stone...

K Train
11-17-2010, 05:34 PM
i agree dick has gotten predictable over the last few weeks....but smith being out and troy being made a fool of theres only so much he can do....the steelers would never fire lebeau, theres too much respect there

LatrobePA
11-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Agree, Dick isn't getting the play out of Troy that he's use too, this alone I believe is why it's gotten soft...AS being out is a huge blow!!

SnakeEyes43
11-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Ever since Keisel and Smith have been out this D has changed dramtically.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Seriously man, there is no way the Steelers should even consider getting rid of Lebeau. My goodness, the scheme is not the issue here. It's proven to be effective for decades. It's not like the 34 is suddenly a bad defense. When you are missing Smith, having Keisel out for weeks, and transitioning Troy's job to Timmons, you are in a state of flux. that's where we are at this point.

Yes, all the crazy running around and mixing up coverages and what not that Troy used to to, is now be turned over to Lawrence Timmons. Troy is being asked to play a more traditional Safety role and he's not used to it.

Lebeau will never be fired, nor should he be.

Steel Trap86
11-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Lebeau would never get cut loose, he'll leave on his own terms. If Tomlin can't even fire a **** show like Arians, why would he think about a new defensive scheme. They just watched him get inducted into the HOF as a defensive player, he's been in the NFL 50 years, he's not going anywhere.

SteelCityKid5
11-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Aaron Smith should be inducted to the HOF for what he does for the Steelers defense

LatrobePA
11-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Not to be a prick, but why would we even bring up our DC when we already have a long running OC to slam???

super cleats
11-17-2010, 07:07 PM
Seriously man, there is no way the Steelers should even consider getting rid of Lebeau. My goodness, the scheme is not the issue here. It's proven to be effective for decades. It's not like the 34 is suddenly a bad defense. When you are missing Smith, having Keisel out for weeks, and transitioning Troy's job to Timmons, you are in a state of flux. that's where we are at this point.

Yes, all the crazy running around and mixing up coverages and what not that Troy used to to, is now be turned over to Lawrence Timmons. Troy is being asked to play a more traditional Safety role and he's not used to it.

Lebeau will never be fired, nor should he be.

of course we will never fire him and i will be against that if that ever occured but i do suggest he retires, i think he should of done it in the 2008 season, the perfect ending.

but his 10 yards off the wide receiver with no pressure is just resulting in big plays, that needs to stop.

troy better get use to doing whatever he needs to do, because ed reed is has played all over the secondary for the ratbirds and has done great results, antrel rolle has played lights out for the giants so far in a new team and new system, we are running out of excuses, maybe it's our age, im not asking for a 2008 defense again but these secondary errors are really causing us harm.

jpele
11-17-2010, 07:12 PM
I've been on Dick for awhile now but I really don't know what goes on behind closed doors.It would appear we are playing more cover two which would lead me to believe the fault lies with Tomlin.

And then there's a quote from Jerome Bettis that I can't verify:

The coaching staff does not adjust to what the other team is doing. He said that the Steelers have a defensive gameplan that they use against every team. Even though they know the other team is going to Pass..Pass..Pass...they don't roll out more defensive back help to make the opposing team run. This works against a run happy team, but that is why pass happy teams carve up the defense...because the defensive coaches are too stubborn to change the strategy.

Goodfrom55
11-17-2010, 07:12 PM

Thank you, finally someone gets it. Although I believe the defense is less predictable when Troy is the one running around like Taz.

Pats, as always, exploited matchup issues on our defense, starting with Gay. IMO, neither he nor McFadden are NFL CB's.

super cleats
11-17-2010, 08:20 PM
I think this Troy as the rover is all BS, this defense still has massive flaws whoever is getting to roam around free

Rampage
11-17-2010, 08:20 PM
I think that this team needs new (read: better) defensive personnel (read: corners) before it needs a new coordinator.

Zachintosh66
11-17-2010, 08:23 PM

agreed, they have pretty much already stated this in not so many words :plus1:

NO, currently we do not need a new DC... DL just needs to get creative and start sending some heat again!

Zachintosh66
11-17-2010, 08:25 PM
I think this Troy as the rover is all BS, this defense still has massive flaws whoever is getting to roam around free

At this point Id rather Gay be the rover and leave troy to cover... at least if Gay misses we still have Troy in coverage, not the other way around...

Dee Mca
11-17-2010, 11:11 PM
The mad man love Cleats was showing for Brady the other night is now confusing me. SO is he saying we didn't get beat by the "God of Football" Tom Brady? We lost b/c Dick Lebeau's playcalling? The way our defense is built is with the 11 starters. We missing our star DE's that open it up for Harrison and Woodley to come around the outside. Well if Woodley and Harrison don't keep force the qb to step up the blitz up the middle doesn't work. I agree some with the corners playing so far off, however it did help us win 6 games. Lets remember we are 6-3 without a Ben in the first 4...

Farrior Fan
11-18-2010, 01:33 AM
I am perplexed at what happened to our D over the last few weeks. Smith and Keisel missing has obviously hurt but can't we at least put a hand on Brady? I blame Coach T and really do think he is trying to implement some Tampa 2 bullchit. Hey coach T go and worry about what is really broken with my team and fire the OC. Hell I'll take $500 per game (plus travel expenses of course) and I GUARAN DAMN TEE we have more success scoring and working the clock. BTW the clock is part of the game so why don't you look at it when we are on offense? Just in case no one on the sidelines has figured it out the prevent D doesnt work early or late in games.

Nolrog
11-18-2010, 08:18 AM
I think LeBeau is playing more conservative because he's trying to cover up for a weak secondary. So he's not blitzing very much at all anymore, hoping to get better coverage. That's clearly not working though. Blitz and if the QB completes, so be it. At least we'll knock him down.

We'd all like to see the young guys get a chance to play a bit. Hopefully we see that soon.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-18-2010, 09:44 AM
This is probably one of the most pointless threads ever. The Steelers will not get a new coach to replace Lebeau. His scheme didn't suddenly start to suck after decades of success. You can't win every one, players come and go, injuries happen every year. He has to play the best scheme he can to utilize his players to the best of their abilities. Missing Smith and Keisel is devastating to our DL. The players need to step up their game too.

Sure I'd love to see more press coverage instead of zone coverage and giving a cushion to the WR's but that's not how this defense is built. We've talked about it many many times. The theory behind a 34 zone blitz defense is that sooner or later the offense is going to make a mistake and the defense will capitalize on it. The chances of a team driving up and down the field all day long on you, 80+ yards, is not that good. Sure they'll get some drives in on you, hit a big play now and then, but overall they will force you into a mistake enough times to help them win. The key is don't get beat deep on a the quick score. Make them work for every yard and as the game wears on the defense gets tougher and the offense gets beat down more.

That's how it works, and it usually works very well.

harpo
11-18-2010, 09:49 AM
This is probably one of the most pointless threads ever. The Steelers will not get a new coach to replace Lebeau. His scheme didn't suddenly start to suck after decades of success. You can't win every one, players come and go, injuries happen every year. He has to play the best scheme he can to utilize his players to the best of their abilities. Missing Smith and Keisel is devastating to our DL. The players need to step up their game too.

Sure I'd love to see more press coverage instead of zone coverage and giving a cushion to the WR's but that's not how this defense is built. We've talked about it many many times. The theory behind a 34 zone blitz defense is that sooner or later the offense is going to make a mistake and the defense will capitalize on it. The chances of a team driving up and down the field all day long on you, 80+ yards, is not that good. Sure they'll get some drives in on you, hit a big play now and then, but overall they will force you into a mistake enough times to help them win. The key is don't get beat deep on a the quick score. Make them work for every yard and as the game wears on the defense gets tougher and the offense gets beat down more.

^^^ What he said.....

:plus1:

HUNT4SEVEN
11-18-2010, 12:54 PM
The point is that Dick is predictable him and BA and that's why we are losing,Hell when a team has injuries it's there job to adjust and try something different, If Dick is such a genius he should be able to adjust to the talent he has and come up with something different other teams do it, this is Bill Coward offense and defense even though Bill is gone, we need to clean house in the offseason and bring in a new OC and DC, let the Rooneys make Lebeau retire...:cursin:

harpo
11-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Boy, I am glad that some of you guys don't make personnel decisions for the Steelers. :lol:

Blazedby92
11-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Boy, I am glad that some of you guys don't make personnel decisions for the Steelers. :lol:

Most of them calling for DL's head are most likly people that jumped on the Bandwagon when they were winning and now we lose a couple games and they aren't used to Steelers losing. Shame shame:nono:

I don't hear people calling for Gregg williams head or Pats D-cordinator after they got smoked by clowns.

The wagon has slowed down for you guys, nows the time to jump off.:crossfingers:

igor0190
11-19-2010, 10:38 AM
It's 19-4 in favour of not firing DL....

The 4 should give their head a shake :nono:

DanRooney
11-19-2010, 11:54 AM
It's 19-4 in favour of not firing DL....

The 4 should give their head a shake :nono:

I'm in favor of firing DL...as in the defensive line. Namely Nick Eason and Ziggy Hood.

super cleats
11-19-2010, 01:05 PM

well then have fun watching baltimore win the super bowl, im not going to read that ****** second paragraph of how defenses work, because what the team has done in the past 2 seasons it hasnt worked.

i look forward to brady schooling lebeau in the playoffs... again... for what, like the 8th time???

The theory behind a 34 zone blitz defense is that sooner or later the offense is going to make a mistake and the defense will capitalize on it. The chances of a team driving up and down the field all day long on you, 80+ yards, is not that good.

um happened all last week AGAINST A GOOD QB, we havent faced good qb's yet with the exception of brady.

oh yeah and were is our defense ranked like #10 and allowing 18 points per game, that's more than the Rams.

lolololol. this team isn't defensive no more, argue all you want bunch of homers :lol:

we will get our asses kicked in the playoffs by indianapolis, san diego or new england and will enjoy it as it will lead to lebeaus retirement.

Dee Mca
11-20-2010, 06:53 PM
:imho::pissonpats:

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Most of them calling for DL's head are most likly people that jumped on the Bandwagon when they were winning and now we lose a couple games and they aren't used to Steelers losing. Shame shame:nono:

I don't hear people calling for Gregg williams head or Pats D-cordinator after they got smoked by clowns.

The wagon has slowed down for you guys, nows the time to jump off.:crossfingers:

oh yeah and were is our defense ranked like #10 and allowing 18 points per game, that's more than the Rams.

lolololol. this team isn't defensive no more, argue all you want bunch of homers :lol:

we will get our asses kicked in the playoffs by indianapolis, san diego or new england and will enjoy it as it will lead to lebeaus retirement.

18 points a game leaves them 5th in the league, .2 ahead of Rams, behind da bears, packers,jets and saints. Still leading the league in running defense by a HUGE 15 yd average. So thiese numbers ain't all that bad without 2 of your starting d linemen...

the highlighted section in Blazedby92's quote I believe is for you...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Ya know what Cleats, you sit here and call us homers for talking intelligently about a team. Good or bad, none of believes we are perfect. None of us here believes this team is a lock for Dallas this February but quite frankly I'm pretty freekin tired of your attitude. Get off that holier than thou kick and riding Brady's jock!