PDA

View Full Version : "Skippy" Reed Cut - Good move or bad?

Iron City South
11-17-2010, 07:08 AM
So here we are .... 1 day after Skippy Reed getting the boot (no pun intended).

How do you feel about this move knowing we're coming into the most inclimate kicking conditions of the year (cold, snow/ice, wind, etc.) and we hire a kicker who has no experience kicking in our stadium? :eek1:

JensK
11-17-2010, 07:44 AM
It was bound to happen. I don't believe this had too much to do with the missed FGs, as much as it had to do with all the **** his been saying and doing for the last few years. Obviously, missing so many vital kicks this season have not helped his cause at all. I am happy that Reed helped us all these years, and he has been mr. automatic for a long time, but sometimes it's just best to move in different directions, and I truly think this was the right time for both parties.

Scorp
11-17-2010, 08:03 AM
When you start to lose it that is pretty much the end. Teams /coaches have to move on and make decisions all the time. He had a great run. At least that i know.

tuggysteel822
11-17-2010, 09:35 AM
He helped us win many games. For that i'm thankful. But maybe he was losing it? For him being franchised and needing to "prove himself worthy for a longterm deal", he just wasn't getting it done. I think this is going to be a good move, hopefully in the short term, but definitely in the long run, if Suisham is the guy.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Reed sealed his fate after his media rant after the game. Art II doesn't take kindly to players going to the press and calling out the fans, the field, and pretty much laying blame on everybody for his misses.

The fans have gotten into Jeff's head and his lack of production is evident. If they were going to make a change it had to be now. Reed can say he's still confident in himself all he wants but the fact is that he never misses kicks like that before and his inconsistently this year shows you that he's got a confidence problem right now. He was good for many years for us and helped us win a lot of game. I tip my hat to him and wish him well in the future.

Suisham has kicked in Heinz before and he worked out in the rain, wind, and cold at Heinz for Tomlin and colbert. If he hadn't made the kicks necessary to win the job he wouldn't be there. I don't think he's an upgrade or a downgrade over Reed at this point but we'll see how it goes and hopefully it works out.

LatrobePA
11-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Bad timing for Tomlin IMO, a couple weeks after losing your 4th round draft pick to waivers you cut a player that could of brought trade offers to the table...

That's how I feel about it...Right or wrong move??? we'll see!!

Iron City South
11-17-2010, 11:16 AM
I agree with the author in this blog:

http://www.yinzpitt.com/jeff-reed-released-my-take/

http://www.yinzpitt.com/wp-content/woo_uploads/249-Jeff-Reed-Pittsburgh-Steelers.jpg

Jeff Reed Released, My Take
Wed, Nov 17, 2010

It’s not often that I get fired up about a situation, and it’s certainly not often that I want to put myself out on a limb and go after a situation because of what I believe the management is doing or has done in a poor fashion. It’s certainly not that I don’t agree with the Jeff Reed release, his stats, his attitude, and his last comments deserved it. Jeff Reed lost his job, on his own terms, and by his own leg.

What I’m talking about is how the Pittsburgh Steelers are fleecing their fans into thinking that this move was based on some kind of necessity. It was purely tailor made to make Jeff Reed a scapegoat. Nothing more, nothing less. I mean let’s be honest, there are multiple fires in the Pittsburgh Steelers house as I sit here and type this. The offensive line is in shambles, sure injuries helped, but we have had no static depth there for a long time. I mean, we go round and round year after year about the Steelers and their line once injuries occur. The “vaunted” Steelers defense, is again showing last season form in 3 of the past games. Unwilling to approach different teams with different schemes, squandering away fourth quarter leads, and just sub par play from Troy Polamalu has completely made their secondary look average.

These things need worked on, in a bad bad way, however Jeff Reed is the only logical choice at this moment. While it’s been highly favorable, and I agree with the move, it’s just done something in my mind that makes the thought of the Steelers being an organization based on “class” a joke.

Jeff Reed was and is as much of a scapegoat as Santonio Holmes was. :yesnod: It’s not about class and character for this Pittsburgh Steelers team, because if that were the case, James Harrison would have been cut/traded, as well as Ben Roethlisberger. This move only cemented in my mind for the Steelers, that if you’re producing, you’re golden, and you have no fear of getting in trouble unless you do severe damage multiple times.

Jeff Reed, was our bumbling idiot, but he was our bumbling idiot up until this year and partial parts of last year that could make kicks. Up until that time, management could look past Jeff Reed’s arrests, naked online pictures, and straight idiotic antics because he was making kicks. Now that Jeff Reed is having a rough patch and continued with his antics? He’s expendable, and the Steelers shortchanged themselves with cutting Reed and hiring Shaun Suisham who has a lower made Field Goal percentage 79% to Jeff Reed’s 81-82%.

Josh Miller of the Fan said it best yesterday. The Steelers had a Porsche, and went to a car dealership and traded that Porsche in for a Lexus. Both are ok, but the Porsche is clearly superior in terms of performance. Will it be enough? Who knows. Like I said, the Steelers have more to worry about than the kicks that were missed.

The people that keep preaching that the Steelers are the cream of the crop in terms of “class” and “character” really need to stop, because as of yesterday, they proved nothing more than being a normal run of the mill NFL team. A man who’s been with the team 9 years, has given and helped the team win plenty of games was released with a 50 word press release. 50 words. For a guy who helped the Steelers get two Super Bowl rings, that’s a slap in the face, regardless of what he said or did to cost him his job.

Reed was made to be a scapegoat much like Santonio was. A diversion if you will. We've got a lot bigger issues to solve for at the moment. :2cents:

This franchise isn’t a beauty contest of “character” or made to be some self- proclamation that our team “values” are better than anyone else’s. That’s pure 100% USDA bullshit. If that were the case, many past (and present) players should never have been kept around.

The decision to release Reed did NOTHING to improve this team. In fact, there's a good arguement that doing this in the middle of a season where the bad weather is just upon us and replacing him with a journeyman who was sitting on his couch out of work just a week ago, has made us worse. It's not like Reed wasn't a well liked guy in our locker room. The truth is, this move hurt the players emotionally in the interviews that I saw yeterday because they considered him their friend, a guy they liked and hung out with for the past 8 years. He was considered a good teammate.

Isn’t "improving the team" what personnel moves should be predicated upon? :thinking:

LatrobePA
11-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Damn this guy hit the nail on the head!!!

LarryNJ
11-17-2010, 11:54 AM
The truth is, this move hurt the players emotionally in the interviews that I saw yeterday because they considered him their friend, a guy they liked and hung out with for the past 8 years. He was considered a good teammate.

If they are emotionally hurt over someone getting cut we have HUGE problems. People get fired everyday who no longer carry their weight at work. Even after years of service, unless of course you are a teacher or have a government job.

Iron City South
11-17-2010, 01:03 PM
If they are emotionally hurt over someone getting cut we have HUGE problems. People get fired everyday who no longer carry their weight at work. Even after years of service, unless of course you are a teacher or have a government job.

Yea, but this isn't General Motors or WallMart we're talking about Larry (not corporate America who's imperial capitalistic performance based wet dream is only outpaced by it's lust for profit),

It's a professional sports team. A cohesive team of athletes.

Troyisabeast_43
11-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Yea, but this isn't General Motors or WallMart we're talking about Larry (not corporate America who's imperial capitalistic performance based wet dream is only outpaced by it's lust for profit),

Im sure a lot of the Steelers players are hurt and upset about this move but at the end of the day they have got to realize much like when free agent players move on after being with a team for so long that this is a business and things like this are going to happen. Nobody likes it but it is what it is and the Steelers players need to move on and get over it because being upset and pissed off about it is not going to help anybody on this Steelers team in the long run...

Goodfrom55
11-17-2010, 02:32 PM
No doubt Reed had to go. . .BUT only if there is/was a solid veteran replacement for him. This guy suisham (however you spell it), is risk reward as well. only thing is he is better kickoff guy than Reed. Hopefully Steelers lick their wounds, and prep to stomp the Raiders on Sunday.

steelersbabex25
11-17-2010, 02:41 PM

A cohesive team of atheletes who SHOULD want to do whatever they can to win. Of course they're going to go to the media and say, "Yeah we're really sorry to see him go. He's been a really good teammate :blah:" but in the end, they want to win just as badly as we want to see them win, regardless of who stays and who goes. If they really value Reed as a friend, they'll keep in touch, not a big problem. They should value the success of the team more than their personal relationships (for our sake.)

Prosdo
11-17-2010, 03:32 PM
The way I look at it is Suisham has been inconsistent in his past. Jeff Reed has been very inconsistent this year. So maybe it's not an upgrade but you minus the headache and drinking issues.

Rampage
11-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Indifferent.

Reed has done very well in the past which will always make you think that maybe he is just off and he'll be back in a matter of time.

On the other hand, what if Reed has already reached the glass ceiling to his career? In that case, he'll need to go.

Then I get to thinking about his replacement. Is Suisham going to be the long term answer? More than likely he won't. Will he be better than Reed in the short term? Who knows?

I do not think this move fixes the kicking situation. I feel that this action was taken in order to remove a player from the locker room that was having a negative impact on morale and to send a message to other players that may consider acting that way in the near future.

Goodfrom55
11-17-2010, 08:09 PM
The irony here is the Jets are thinking about bringing Reed into camp. They'll probably sign him and he'll kick 6 FG's aginst us on 12/19.

Diamondhead
11-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Obviously I thought this was a rash move. (Making Jeff shave his beard would of been a more appropriate disciplinary measure than cutting him, in my opinion) But as Blitzburgh Rock City pointed out, his post-game comments tipped the scales with Tomlin and co.

Man, if Reed lands with another team and performs well, and this Suisham character ends up stinking up the joint... Well, It's gonna get ugly around here.

steelersbabex25
11-17-2010, 09:28 PM
At the end of the day, we can't have it both ways here. We can't complain and whine about Reed, then as soon as he gets cut we start playing the what if game. If BA was fired and thy bring in a guy that's worse (don't know how that's possible), are you gonna bitch and moan because they fired him and hired someone worse after you've been calling for his head for a year? No. You can't. It's the same situation as far as I'm concerned.

Brad 69
11-17-2010, 09:43 PM
this is the right thing to do in this situation i believe he not only "sucked" at kicking but he also been in trouble in the past and from his most recent stats it seems as though hes bein distracted by off feild issues. who knows i support the every move the steelers make. i may not agree with every move they make but i will always stand behind my team

Iron City South
11-17-2010, 09:46 PM
At the end of the day, we can't have it both ways here. We can't complain and whine about Reed, then as soon as he gets cut we start playing the what if game. If BA was fired and thy bring in a guy that's worse (don't know how that's possible), are you gonna bitch and moan because they fired him and hired someone worse after you've been calling for his head for a year? No. You can't. It's the same situation as far as I'm concerned.

Well, Jeff Reed has nothing in common with Bruce Arians so that's a bad analogy to begin with. Reed has a damn good resume as a Steeler and is having a bad year. Probably needs to work through it and get his confidence back.

Arians on the other hand hasnt done jack diddley for us. The road that got us to SBXLIII was paved by the #1 defense in the league. OC's and DC's generally get Head Coaching interest after they win Super Bowls. Do you know who called Bruce Airans after we won? ..... I'll tell you ... The Domino's Pizza delivery driver

.... and he had the wrong number. :hilarious:

steelersbabex25
11-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Well, Jeff Reed has nothing in common with Bruce Arians so that's a bad analogy to begin with. Reed has a damn good resume as a Steeler and is having a bad year. Probably needs to work through it and get his confidence back.

Arians on the other hand hasnt done jack diddley for us. The road that got us to SBXLIII was paved by the #1 defense in the league. OC's and DC's generally get Head Coaching interest after they win Super Bowls. Do you know who called Bruce Airans after we won? ..... I'll tell you ... The Domino's Pizza delivery driver

.... and he had the wrong number. :hilarious:

I never said Arians and Reed had anything to do with each other. The only thing I said they had in common was that people have been calling for both their heads for a while now. Never mentioned anything about what either of them did or didn't do for the Steelers. So...

LatrobePA
11-17-2010, 11:01 PM
I'll give Reed a thumbs up for turning down the Bengals...Smart move dude!!!

coach
11-18-2010, 08:03 PM
My take on Reed:

If we picked up a horse who could kick field goals and he made them and we won the games we should win, I would never give Reed a second thought.

We have issues that need to get fixed or this season will be lost. If those issues get fixed and our kicking game goes to hell, we'll all be talkin about Reed.

If we don't fix those issues and the kicking game goes to hell, we'll all be talkin about Reed.

If Reed gets picked up and kicks well, and our kicker doesn't, well all be talkin about Reed.

Let's hope that we don't read any more posts about Reed. If we do, our season may have just went to hell.

Clevelandsux
11-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Well if we could score some tds we wouldn't be talking about it.

And what does 'we' on this board have anything to do with anything?