PDA

View Full Version : Less blitzing?

mwittman5
11-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Is it just me or have the Steelers been blitzing less recently? Especially last game against the Pats I didnt see many blitzes and the few times they did Brady threw the ball away or it was incomplete

DanRooney
11-17-2010, 12:30 AM
I haven't seen any blitzes. 4 man rush since week 4.

steelersbabex25
11-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Guess they've wanted more people back in coverage. Isn't really working for them.

SteelDad
11-17-2010, 09:59 AM
LeBeau is in a difficult spot because his corners can't cover whether we blitz or not.

igor0190
11-17-2010, 10:06 AM
This league is way to easy for the offenses to lay back and be passive on defense. Just doesn't work. Aggressive playcalling and blitzes make things happen... sure bad things happen too, but with the talent on our defense there is no reason we shouldn't come out ahead more often than not.

Steelersfan
11-17-2010, 10:16 AM
This league is way to easy for the offenses to lay back and be passive on defense. Just doesn't work. Aggressive playcalling and blitzes make things happen... sure bad things happen too, but with the talent on our defense there is no reason we shouldn't come out ahead more often than not.

Agree. Always said the Steelers secondary is only as good as the blitz.

LatrobePA
11-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Guess they've wanted more people back in coverage. Isn't really working for them.

Yeppers....Note to Tomlin, let DL call the plays!! lol

Steelersfan
11-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Yeppers....Note to Tomlin, let DL call the plays!! lol

I thought everyone was blaming DL for this one?......lol

LatrobePA
11-17-2010, 10:38 AM
I thought everyone was blaming DL for this one?......lol

Nope, it appeared to be all Tomlins defense...I could be way off??!!??!!

Steelersfan
11-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Nope, it appeared to be all Tomlins defense...I could be way off??!!??!!

With that damn cover two I wouldn't doubt it's Tomlins! But some here think it's DL fault and he's too old.

LatrobePA
11-17-2010, 10:48 AM
With that damn cover two I wouldn't doubt it's Tomlins! But some here think it's DL fault and he's too old.

The truth is Brady owns DL, and has for the past couple games he has faced him. There isn't too many DC's out there that fair too well against him...

Water under the bridge at this point, but I personally think we need to start bring the house!!

Steelersfan
11-17-2010, 10:50 AM
The truth is Brady owns DL, and has for the past couple games he has faced him. There isn't too many DC's out there that fair too well against him...

Water under the bridge at this point, but I personally think we need to start bring the house!!

I agree!

igor0190
11-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Agree. Always said the Steelers secondary is only as good as the blitz.

I'm not exactly an expert, but the way I see it our corners play off the receivers regardless whether we blitz or not. If they are playing off the receivers and giving them anything less than 10 yards, why not blitz??? Isn't that how our defense is designed? A zone blitz scheme? Mix up the zone coverage and send different players from different places to create confusion.

I hate the bend but don't break theory of the cover 2 defense. It doesn't suit us, and it is not a very effective defense in the pass happy NFL, imo.

Steelersfan
11-17-2010, 12:46 PM
I couldn't agree more. If your not sending people then let the CB's play some bump and run. At least disrupt the timing of the O.

coldrolled
11-17-2010, 02:02 PM
I couldn't agree more. If your not sending people then let the CB's play some bump and run. At least disrupt the timing of the O.

:plus1:

should have been done on every play of the Pats and Saints game with blitzes mixed up from every position...

Nah! Lets give two great QB's 8-10 yards buffer zone and watch them destroy us..

And then lets not adjust either...

SnakeEyes43
11-17-2010, 04:37 PM
And then lets not adjust either...

That's the WORST part of it, and what worries me about Tomlin, it's that we aren't seeing the adjustments where we obviously need them... *cough *GAY* cough*.

Goodfrom55
11-17-2010, 06:20 PM
A lot of teams have "given up" on running against the Steelers so they come out in a lot of 3 WR sets or more. This means more often that not, the Steelers are in a nickel defense, which puts Harrison and / or Woody in coverage.

And, as Steeldad pointed out, if they blitz and don't get the QB, you're exposing weak CB's to big plays.

Farrior Fan
11-18-2010, 09:48 PM
may as well just blitz Gay also, its not like he is covering anyone

Rampage
11-19-2010, 11:06 AM
may as well just blitz Gay also, its not like he is covering anyone

I agree. Gay is quick enough and when they have blitzed him, he's provided some quarterback pressure. If this team did more bump and run coverage and blitzed with guys like Gay, perhaps they could really disrupt a QB's clock.

coldrolled
11-19-2010, 11:10 AM
I agree. Gay is quick enough and when they have blitzed him, he's provided some quarterback pressure. If this team did more bump and run coverage and blitzed with guys like Gay, perhaps they could really disrupt a QB's clock.

:plus1: Let Gay do it sometimes he seems to get it down when asked.

Dont let Farrior do it.. We need Sly to do it, hes a ball hawk...

Let Worilds in for Woodley and Harrison in a rotation.. he hawks the ball also..

Randel L needs to be benched.. had to throw that in.. :imho:

coach
11-19-2010, 09:41 PM
A lot of teams have "given up" on running against the Steelers so they come out in a lot of 3 WR sets or more. This means more often that not, the Steelers are in a nickel defense, which puts Harrison and / or Woody in coverage.

And, as Steeldad pointed out, if they blitz and don't get the QB, you're exposing weak CB's to big plays.

I think you guys are right if you do it too much. I think in the second half of the Bungals game though you could see times when they sent folks it actually did disrupt the plays at times. You can't do anything all the time or you become predictable. I think the NO and NE games were examples where some people might have been happy just to see an attempt to blitz, or show that you the ability to try something different when you are getting shredded play after play. I think we are all hoping that the pressure works because, as you pointed out, weak CBs and no pressure is a terrible combination.

coldrolled
11-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Added inside linebacker and defensive captain James Farrior: "We can't put those guys (cornerbacks) on an island and expect them to cover for a long time. We have to get a better pass rush. We definitely have to take it upon the front seven and the guys that are rushing the quarterback to have those guys' backs. They've got the hardest job on the field.''

Steelers cornerbacks have been a lightning rod for criticism following losses to Baltimore, New Orleans and New England. However, Tomlin's comments offered a different perspective about what went wrong defensively in those games.

The lack of a pass rush, for one.

In their three losses, the Steelers allowed six touchdown passes against only three sacks in 124 pass attempts.

"There were times when we could have done things better. And there were times there was nothing you could do about it,'' said outside linebacker James Harrison, who leads the Steelers with seven sacks this season. "We could have had more pressure when Brady held the ball long enough to where we could have got there.''

Former New England safety Rodney Harrison offered another perspective that could help explain Brady's success against the Steelers.

Appearing on NBC, Harrison predicted before last week's game that Steelers cornerbacks would play man-to-man against New England's receivers because "the teams that have beaten the Patriots (Cleveland Browns and the New York Jets) played tight man-to-man coverage. The Patriots love those short, intermediate routes. If you're playing zone coverage like the Pittsburgh Steelers do all the time, there's some openings. But I think they're going to play man coverage.''

The Steelers played mostly zone against New England as Brady had a field day.