PDA

View Full Version : SA fan overreaction

igor0190
11-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Everyone seems to be assuming the Steelers are destined for a full blown meltdown. New England is a good team who always gives us trouble. It is one game. Sure we looked terrible, but we are still 6-3. If you remember 2005, it's not how you start, it's how well you are playing going into the playoffs that really matters. Let's hope we can pull it together and get a W this week and string together some good performances from now and through December when it really starts to count.

Let's hope we can all enjoy the Raiders game! :tt02:

Troyisabeast_43
11-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Let's hope because a loss this week to the Raiders and I believe this season has a better then average chance of imploding the exact same way it did last season. This is a big big game in my opinion for Mike Tomlin to get this win at home against a team you absolutely have got to beat in the Raiders to get this teams psychi right...A loss to Oakland and Im telling you it could very well be the start of this season imploding...Steelers better be aware of this and be very careful...

Zachintosh66
11-16-2010, 06:24 PM
its b/c we imploded last year... and it seems (so far) history is repeating itself

Scorp
11-16-2010, 06:24 PM
I for one am not and have not overreacted. I can say for myself i was pissed over the missed field goals and int's and underthrows from Ben. A new game is on the horizon with a very familiar foe. I want to see Steelers hand the Raiders a severe beatdown. Then win the game and i will overreact with yeah baby that's what i'm talking about rants and cheers.

DanRooney
11-16-2010, 06:29 PM
It's not just the New England game. We were showing signs of the downfall since the Miami game.

LatrobePA
11-16-2010, 06:33 PM
After the Browns game we've been on a down slide....You'd think the opposite with Ben back, but this means more aweful play calling from you know who!!

It also seems like the defense is backing off a bit thinking the same or they're just too scared of being fined!!

MattyVfromCT
11-16-2010, 06:56 PM
After the Browns game we've been on a down slide....You'd think the opposite with Ben back, but this means more aweful play calling from you know who!!

It also seems like the defense is backing off a bit thinking the same or they're just too scared of being fined!!

plus losing aaron smith is a huge factor. i thought he was a far bigger loss last year than troy. just like in 07 our d wasnt the same without him. to me smith is our defensive mvp

coldrolled
11-16-2010, 06:56 PM
i really think the team felt we were going to explode on offense and we went right back to last year... like a bad dream... they are down on themselves.....

somone said they play like they are on sand... that is true.. they need a spark.. a good firing is in order. it cant get worse with a new OC. off with his head... now......

Nolrog
11-16-2010, 07:29 PM
New England is a good team who always gives us trouble. It is one game.

It's not one game. In the last 4 weeks, they got blown out twice (NE, NO), won a game they should have lost (Miami) and barely won against Cincinnati (another game they could easily have lost.)

I've seen a team that cannot stop 3 rushers with their FIVE offensive lineman, and puts absolutely zero pressure on the QB.

It's not just New England. This team is in deep deep trouble.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-16-2010, 07:32 PM
There is nobody here that wants a complete meltdown, but the signs are evident that this team needs to tighten up and in a hurry. The tough part of our schedule is behind us and in theory we should own the rest of the games with the exception of an always tight Ratbird game. However it's hard to put a finger on this team right now so the next couple weeks will tell alot about them.

Perhaps they were just exhausted after the road trip and had nothing left for the Patriots, and this weekend they regroup...we'll see.

steelersbabex25
11-16-2010, 07:33 PM
It's not just the New England game. We were showing signs of the downfall since the Miami game.

This. It seems like every week since Ben got back we've been getting progressively worse.

Nolrog
11-16-2010, 07:45 PM
This. It seems like every week since Ben got back we've been getting progressively worse.

The play calling has been horrid though, and the offense has no imagination. Even the announcers said that Ben is a great play action passer, except they never do that. And they run right nearly all the time. Need more variety.

steelersbabex25
11-16-2010, 07:51 PM
The play calling has been horrid though, and the offense has no imagination. Even the announcers said that Ben is a great play action passer, except they never do that. And they run right nearly all the time. Need more variety.

Not saying it's because of Ben. It's just been getting worse since he's been back. Take that as you wish.

Nolrog
11-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Not saying it's because of Ben. It's just been getting worse since he's been back. Take that as you wish.

I don't disagree. Maybe because they tried to be more balanced and take advantage of other players when he was out, and now that he's back, they are trying to rely on him more to make plays and not get sacked.

Root4Stlrs
11-17-2010, 02:03 AM
I don't know what the main problem is - I think there are a multitude of things. The o line has been decimated. Smith and Kiesel are both out. The play calling is horrible. The defense looked terrible - no pass rush, unable to cover tight ends - on that one TD BMac and Gay were trying to figure out who was supposed to cover who and they looked confused. Brady deciphered all their blitzes and coverages, got rid of the ball and delivered a strike even when they were right in his face. Troy has been a non-factor, not sure what the reason is. I think Ben misses Santonio. I could go on and on.

Real Deal Steel
11-17-2010, 03:05 AM

The defense has performed horribly since Goodell targeted Harrison. Since then, I haven't seen the overall aggressiveness of the defense that we're used to seeing.

Dean Denton
11-17-2010, 03:11 AM
EVeryone is right about this team getting worse once Ben came back, and I'm not ready to say its because of him. That would be saying that the team doesn't want to play for him, and maybe they dont. I just dont see it that way. They are pros, and want to win. Play calling in the red zone has been a joke since Tomlin took over this team, and the last year Cowher was here. I guess its been bad since we lost Jerome. Injuries to the O-line have maybe taken away frm the run, and forced the ball in Bens hands a little more too. But the Def looks tired and flat. I know Smith being out hurts, but his deal is stopping the run, and we have been fine there. I dont know whats wrong with this team, but again, dont be shocked if they lose their next two games. The Raiders are playing better ball then the Steelers. The Steelers are so lucky this game isn't in Oakland..

DanRooney
11-17-2010, 04:12 AM
Tone is the only guy we had that could turn a quick slant on a 3 step drop to a 50 yard touchdown.

Dean Denton
11-17-2010, 04:57 AM
Tone is the only guy we had that could turn a quick slant on a 3 step drop to a 50 yard touchdown.Wallace can do it too. He's faster and will only get better. I'm more worried about Ward being able to play anymore. The guy isn't doing so good this season...

UKSTEELER
11-17-2010, 05:45 AM
Wallace can do it too. He's faster and will only get better. I'm more worried about Ward being able to play anymore. The guy isn't doing so good this season...

Sanders is coming along nicely, and Brown needs to be kitted up, he's got plenty of upside, failing that, there's always Sweed?:grin1:

Hines played well out of the gate, but his threat can be negated against better teams.

coldrolled
11-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Tone is the only guy we had that could turn a quick slant on a 3 step drop to a 50 yard touchdown.

i thought this was battles specialty??? Brown should be in their on crossing plays also....

Randel needs to sit.. he drops more balls then sweed.. and you all made fun of sweed.

the coaches benched sweed after every drop just for rookie confidence building, why not do that with L he drops them in the field, goal line, end zone (2), flips them up for INT's and hes not benched...?? its amazing... alot of two faced decisions on this coaching staff....

igor0190
11-17-2010, 10:26 AM
i thought this was battles specialty??? Brown should be in their on crossing plays also....

Randel needs to sit.. he drops more balls then sweed.. and you all made fun of sweed.

the coaches benched sweed after every drop just for rookie confidence building, why not do that with L he drops them in the field, goal line, end zone (2), flips them up for INT's and hes not benched...?? its amazing... alot of two faced decisions on this coaching staff....

Wow... That is a REALLY good point about El VS Sweed. :plus1:
If El's crap performance doesn't yield Sanders more opportunity then the coaches need to give their head a shake :banging:

BA = what crossing plays?

I really do understand the panic because we havn't been playing very good. But lets not forget our 3 losses have been against very good competition. Regardless of the Raiders doing better this year, I still expect us to win that game. If not, I will then be VERY worried.

SteelDad
11-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Where there is smoke there is fire guys and we have had little plumes of smoke coming from several areas for the last few weeks. The injuries are to blame, the play-calling is to blame, the execution is to blame and so on. Things right now look really familiar to last year so an over-reaction from the Nation is to be expected. This Sunday's game is quite possibly the biggest we'll play the rest of the season because a loss sends us into a tailspin and a win could set us up for a nice streak.

mwittman5
11-17-2010, 09:10 PM
fans are overreacting. Look at the patriots, last week after losing to the browns they looked like a joke and now after beating us down they look like the best team in the AFC. Steelers are 6-3, 2nd best record in the AFC

jnes1216
11-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Overreacting some, disappointed for sure. We barely beat the teams we're supposed to and cannot beat the good teams, Ben looks like a 2nd stringer, and the coaches flat out refuse (from the looks of it) to change players or schemes that are not working. Injuries have been an issue but that cannot be helped. Well it could be helped but we would rather draft 20 lbers than provide depth for our off and def lines. We are losing the game at the line of scrimmage and that is affecting everything else imo.

Root4Stlrs
11-18-2010, 04:02 AM
Overreacting some, disappointed for sure. We barely beat the teams we're supposed to and cannot beat the good teams, Ben looks like a 2nd stringer, and the coaches flat out refuse (from the looks of it) to change players or schemes that are not working. Injuries have been an issue but that cannot be helped. Well it could be helped but we would rather draft 20 lbers than provide depth for our off and def lines. We are losing the game at the line of scrimmage and that is affecting everything else imo.
:plus1:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Let's look at this from a neutral perspective here alittle bit. Everybody keeps talking about "oh the scheme doesn't work" "oh the playcalling sucks" "oh the clock management is terrible". While some of that may be true at various points in all the games this year there is another reason. The fact is the Steelers are getting murdered by injuries this year. Tomlin and the coaches can talk all they want about expectations staying the same, but as we know the production does not.

I don't care who are when you lose a list of players like this over the course of the season so far, you are going to suffer.

Aaron Smith
Lawrence Timmons
Brett Keisel
Hines Ward
Chris Kemoeatu
Flozell Adams
Ben Roethlisberger
Ryan Clark
Max Starks
Willie Colon
Troy Polamalu

All these guys so far have missed atleast some parts of games during this year with various injuries or issues. You lose 2 of 3 starting DL, that affects your ability to pressure the QB which affects your secondary as well.

You lose guys on your offensive line every week, that affects your protection which affects the entire offense.

You lose a Hines Ward, suddenly you have no middle presence in the redzone to make the tough catch. You lose blocking for the run game as well.

You have Harrison who is getting crushed by fines, so he's thinking too much about his game, yet still is doing an admirable job producing.

Polamalu's role in the defense is changing, he's not the same free lancing guy he was before. That affects your entire defense.

Jeff Reed, struggled all year long with consistency. When you miss FG's you put your defense in a bad position and the offense goes right to work with a short field and their backs to the wall.

There's other things we could talk about but the fact is, it's not just 1 thing here. It's everything happening and injuries are behind a lot of it. Our depth is decent in some areas and not so decent in others. Then injuries happen and your depth is now starting there's no relief so they play longer with out a rest and get tired. Combine all that free agency, general lack of depth, uncertainty in the league on the rules, and what have you. It's a cycle that every team goes through. All of those factors make up the that there is so much parity in the league right now. The reason that a team like Cleveland goes in and crushes the Patriots and Saints and then those teams wake up the next week, get removitated and come back strong.

Now, it's our turn. We have a lot to deal with right now, but we need to come back strong vs the Raiders. No time to lick your wounds or over analyze your strategy. Just go out, do your job, and put the loss behind you.

coldrolled
11-18-2010, 12:51 PM
heres some fan reaction to the ocho show.....

Bengals' Sellout Streak Ends
The Cincinnati Bengals 57-game sellout streak will come to an end this week, Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

LatrobePA
11-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Are we better with Ben?? Right now we're 3-2 with him back and have seemed to lose direction (again).

This week is huge for this team, a rebound pounding will erase the fear of another slide. But a loss will be one foot in the grave...

I personally think we as fans have a right to overreact after last season!!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-18-2010, 02:23 PM
We are better off at QB, there is no question of that at all. Batch, Lefty, or Dixon can't hold a candle to Ben. Now, has the offense changed since then, no doubt. It was basically run run run and we were successful at it. Also keep in mind too during that stretch without Ben, everybody on the team was healthy so we had a full compliment of starters. So the comparison is compromised when you look at the big picture.

LatrobePA
11-18-2010, 02:39 PM
We are better off at QB, there is no question of that at all. Batch, Lefty, or Dixon can't hold a candle to Ben. Now, has the offense changed since then, no doubt. It was basically run run run and we were successful at it. Also keep in mind too during that stretch without Ben, everybody on the team was healthy so we had a full compliment of starters. So the comparison is compromised when you look at the big picture.

I know you're right but it seems like all that we did the first 4 games went out the door with Batch.

Now we're back to struggling....Ones gotta wonder you know what I mean??

igor0190
11-18-2010, 03:00 PM
I know you're right but it seems like all that we did the first 4 games went out the door with Batch.

Now we're back to struggling....Ones gotta wonder you know what I mean??

It's BA

coldrolled
11-18-2010, 03:01 PM
we could have this QB...

Brian St. Pierre to Start For Panthers this week.

LatrobePA
11-18-2010, 03:04 PM
It's BA

Has to be...I'm not blaming Ben more like blaming the **** poor play calling!!

--- Added 11/18/2010 at 01:04 PM ---

we could have this QB...

Brian St. Pierre to Start For Panthers this week.

LOL, no thanks!

airbrake 1
11-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Warning this may come as a total shock to some...the players on the opposing team are professional football players...some people act as if the steelers are playing against high school boys...injuries are the biggest problem this season same as last, lets just hope this year doesn't conclude like 2009....the sky is falling...the sky is falling---chicken little---

coach
11-18-2010, 08:05 PM
The injuries are half of it, but that's the half every fan has to live with. They happen and number 2 or 3 on the depth chart means there will be a drop off. AZ had a list of players who missed time and those lineman (O and D) make a difference.

The other half that is frustrating are calls on both sides of the line. You can't blitz all the time, but surely you can dial it up when your are getting thrown on play after play. This is just a simple game time decision to adjust and I don't see it. It shouldn't even be a game time adjustment. NE doesit to us every game.

Now we have another west coast guy coming and he is going to hope to dink n dunk us down the filed all day. We should actually be prepared for this.

It is just as frustrtaing on the Offensive side. Your O-line is decimated so the pressue is coming on every play. Why no quick throws? We don't even have Moore coming out of the backfield to catch a pass or screen. Instead, he is running bewteen the tackles.

If the line can't protect Ben for long, build a plan that is based on quick throws, sceens, draws and maybe even the occasional wild cat to keep the D guessing. Don't build it on 7 step drops and hoping that the protection will give you the 4.5 seconds you need for the receivers to 15 yards down field.

We had our number one QB on shelf for 4 games. The team schemed based on the players they had. Ben comes back and they seem incapable of scheming or adjusting.

It doesn't guarantee success, but you can't keep doing the same things and expect a different result.

harpo
11-18-2010, 09:08 PM
I can guarantee you one of three things will happen after the game, win or lose: someone will make a thread blaming either Bruce Arians, Mike Tomlin or Dick LeBeau.

Every week is "Panic Bowl" for the Steelers.....:lol:

LatrobePA
11-18-2010, 10:46 PM
You can certainly bank on a thread started about ole stinky pants BA!!

Moondog
11-19-2010, 01:19 AM
The injuries are half of it, but that's the half every fan has to live with. They happen and number 2 or 3 on the depth chart means there will be a drop off. AZ had a list of players who missed time and those lineman (O and D) make a difference.

The other half that is frustrating are calls on both sides of the line. You can't blitz all the time, but surely you can dial it up when your are getting thrown on play after play. This is just a simple game time decision to adjust and I don't see it. It shouldn't even be a game time adjustment. NE doesit to us every game.

Now we have another west coast guy coming and he is going to hope to dink n dunk us down the filed all day. We should actually be prepared for this.

It is just as frustrtaing on the Offensive side. Your O-line is decimated so the pressue is coming on every play. Why no quick throws? We don't even have Moore coming out of the backfield to catch a pass or screen. Instead, he is running bewteen the tackles.

If the line can't protect Ben for long, build a plan that is based on quick throws, sceens, draws and maybe even the occasional wild cat to keep the D guessing. Don't build it on 7 step drops and hoping that the protection will give you the 4.5 seconds you need for the receivers to 15 yards down field.

We had our number one QB on shelf for 4 games. The team schemed based on the players they had. Ben comes back and they seem incapable of scheming or adjusting.

It doesn't guarantee success, but you can't keep doing the same things and expect a different result.

Great post...you hit the nail on the head. This is what I've been thinking all week. :yellowthumb:

igor0190
11-19-2010, 10:43 AM

:plus1:
EXACTLY... and Ben can make those quick throws so there's no excuse for them not being called. Slants, screens, 5 yard outs, the odd roll out... I havn't seen any of this.