PDA

View Full Version : Seriously since hood isnt doing anything...

steelchamp204
11-16-2010, 04:40 PM
why not just play 2 dl and 5 linebackers? It might sounds ****ing crazy but we can rotate, hampton, hood, hoke and eason until keisel is fully healthy, it would keep the dlinemen frsh all game. Maybe im just to excited to see sylvester and worlids play but why not? I mean were gettin pushed around anyway up front, plus it could put more speed on the field, I dont understand why woodley can play de for a little bit either just in a linebackin position. Im just trying to think of what we could do differently on defense to keep on rotatiing bodies in there to keep them fresh since this is kinda a old defense. I know this wont happen but would you guys be open to this idea if it could happen?

I think ima regret this thread :(

super cleats
11-16-2010, 04:48 PM
how about put hampton as the goal-line back and see what happens, this team lacks creativity.

LatrobePA
11-16-2010, 04:51 PM
how about put hampton as the goal-line back and see what happens, this team lacks creativity.

Not true, running to the right 98% of the time is AWESOME!!

HUNT4SEVEN
11-16-2010, 05:20 PM
why not just play 2 dl and 5 linebackers? It might sounds ****ing crazy but we can rotate, hampton, hood, hoke and eason until keisel is fully healthy, it would keep the dlinemen frsh all game. Maybe im just to excited to see sylvester and worlids play but why not? I mean were gettin pushed around anyway up front, plus it could put more speed on the field, I dont understand why woodley can play de for a little bit either just in a linebackin position. Im just trying to think of what we could do differently on defense to keep on rotatiing bodies in there to keep them fresh since this is kinda a old defense. I know this wont happen but would you guys be open to this idea if it could happen?

I think ima regret this thread :(

I agree we need to change things up when u have injuries u have to be creative or atleast u should be IMo that falls directly on Tomlin and Lebeau, other teams do it:cursin:

Scorp
11-16-2010, 05:29 PM
I think you guys might be on to something.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-16-2010, 05:32 PM
You need 3 big bodies in there to stop the run and clog up the lanes with those big offensive lineman. If you only have 2 you're going to have lanes open all over the place and asking a LB to block an offensive lineman isn't the most productive way to go about it all game lone.

They do run some schemes with less than 3 DL to change things up but your base defense has to have 3 big guys up front to help stop the run. The reason we stop the run so well is because those 3 DL are there holding the OL lineman in place so the LB's can make the plays.

JensK
11-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Just thinking that 2 linemen and 5 LBs would work is a complete lack of understanding a 3-4 scheme. LBs are only as good as the linemen allows him to be. Basically, the 3 linemen opens up holes for the LB to burst through. With a lineman missing, there would be no holes for the LBs to run through. They would more or less run into a wall.

Lunchbucket
11-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Totally agree with Blitzburgh and JenK,a 3-4 is critical to 3 big bodies busting up blocking schemes,it takes a special type of athelete to play these spots.

Nolrog
11-16-2010, 07:41 PM
They should just blitz more. Instead of rushing 3 and getting picked apart, rush 5 or 6 and put pressure on the QB, make him hurry and maybe make a mistake. And if he still gets the pass away, at last you should have a shot to knock him on his ***

steelchamp204
11-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Totally agree with Blitzburgh and JenK,a 3-4 is critical to 3 big bodies busting up blocking schemes,it takes a special type of athelete to play these spots.

Hood is special? I think woodley could do a better job than hood could tbh with you, I never seen someone get pushed off the ball as bad as hood does, I would rather take 5 linebackers than try and have hoke,eason,hampton and hood try to put pressure on the qb, Yea the run might suffer a little bit, but it would help our pass defense out a little bit more since Gay is non-exsistant, Plus I think if you put woodley and harrison one the left side of the line and move the two dl over the right and played two lb's near them, we would be fine, Its not like harrison and woodley get pushed off the ball as bad as hood or hoke.

--- Added 11/16/2010 at 07:09 PM ---

They should just blitz more. Instead of rushing 3 and getting picked apart, rush 5 or 6 and put pressure on the QB, make him hurry and maybe make a mistake. And if he still gets the pass away, at last you should have a shot to knock him on his ***

Qb cant make a mistake with corners playing off 10 yards and reciever running slants and rb's running to the middle and getting catches for 6-8 yards a pop.

Lunchbucket
11-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Never said Hood was special,but it takes a special player to be effective at the front 3 spots.My point is, that is exactly what we are lacking,cause good 3-4 linemen are rare.Maybe Hood will improve in time, remember Smith and Kessel took time to develope.

JensK
11-17-2010, 06:39 AM
Never said Hood was special,but it takes a special player to be effective at the front 3 spots.My point is, that is exactly what we are lacking,cause good 3-4 linemen are rare.Maybe Hood will improve in time, remember Smith and Kessel took time to develope.

This is true, and it is true that 3-4 end in LeBeaus systems is not the easiest position to play, but Ziggy is a first-round player, whereas Smith and Keisel were 4th and 7th round picks. Furthermore, Ziggy was a huge reach in the first for Steelers, as there was still plenty of really good talent on the board, which would have suited us a whole lot better. As I said in another treat, I hope Ziggy will pan out, but I am having my doubts the way he is playing at the moment.

coldrolled
11-17-2010, 07:53 AM
give it up about hood. we have way more problems than hood...

this is a dumbass thread...

JensK
11-17-2010, 08:46 AM

I don't see too many problems being bigger. Not all topics can be about dreadful play-calling. Our defense is build around the front 7, and if the keystone constantly gets beat, I would say that is a pretty damn big problem.

Iron City South
11-17-2010, 08:52 AM

A player like Hood will take time to develop in this system. Look at Timmons, he's just now coming along to be the player some thought he could be. To be fair, Hood will need another year or two to find his niche. I'm just glad he's getting the experience earlier than planned.

With the Pats laying out the blueprint to own our secondary, our MLB's (Foote/Farrior) better be ready to answer the bell. If they're not, we will fold like deck chairs on the Titanic. :2cents:

UKSTEELER
11-17-2010, 09:18 AM
We're in a whole world of trouble . . .

Smith is the best player, but his body has reached it's limit he can't hold out much longer.

Kiesel does a job, nothing flashy, he too is missing more and more time through injury and is on the slide.

Casey can still hold his own, he has a two years left on or below this level of play.

Hoke, Eason can do a decent fill in job, but aren't the answer long term.

Ziggy, this is his third year, his first of any sustained time on the field, and it looks very average to date, i'll give him another year, but his ceiling is no where near as high as I expected. He might turn into the next Kiesel?

We need to find a new Nose tackle and another end pronto!

Lunchbucket
11-17-2010, 09:53 AM
We're in a whole world of trouble . . .

Smith is the best player, but his body has reached it's limit he can't hold out much longer.

Kiesel does a job, nothing flashy, he too is missing more and more time through injury and is on the slide.

Casey can still hold his own, he has a two years left on or below this level of play.

Hoke, Eason can do a decent fill in job, but aren't the answer long term.

Ziggy, this is his third year, his first of any sustained time on the field, and it looks very average to date, i'll give him another year, but his ceiling is no where near as high as I expected. He might turn into the next Kiesel?

We need to find a new Nose tackle and another end pronto! WOW Definately,if we don't get that disruption up front,from the 3 down lineman,causing havoc and double teams,then the blitzes are easier to pick up, LB's become less effective,the DB's are asked to cover longer. We need another stud to step up but,who will it be this year? I don't know..........

coldrolled
11-17-2010, 10:46 AM
I don't see too many problems being bigger. Not all topics can be about dreadful play-calling. Our defense is build around the front 7, and if the keystone constantly gets beat, I would say that is a pretty damn big problem.

Farrior is slow... Gay cant cover only blitz good.

Clark is slow or hurt

McFadden is not really helping troy out...

all kinds of stuff other than picking on a rookie.

JensK
11-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Farrior is slow... Gay cant cover only blitz good.

Clark is slow or hurt

McFadden is not really helping troy out...

all kinds of stuff other than picking on a rookie.

First and foremost, Ziggy is not a rookie.

Clark have been slow for a long time. He never was a good safety when it comes to coverage. He is decent against the run, but he never have been anything but that.

McFadden is a problem, but that is being taken care of as far as I've read. Coaches don't like how he is playing so changes may come here.

Farrior is slow, but still a stud in the running game. He just can't cover people anymore. Certainly, a replacement needs to be found.

As I've written somewhere else, Gay is not all that horrible as most try to make him look like. He is just not supposed to cover the other teams best WR as a nickelback, period.

What is funny though is, that 3 out of the 4 examples you come with is in our secondary - a secondary which suffers greatly due to absolute lack of pressure. I am not saying any of them are great players, but a little help from our front 7 would not hurt...

coldrolled
11-17-2010, 11:06 AM
[QUOTE=JensK;380206]
Farrior is slow, but still a stud in the running game. He just can't cover people anymore. Certainly, a replacement needs to be found.QUOTE]

Maybe farrior should run in on run plays and someone else with speed should play on passing downs..

we need an ILB to blitz.... we can just have harrison and woodley coming in from the ends play after play... all game long... we need ilb crossing blitzes... corner blitzes, gay is quick on those...

anyway.. all this is still the fault of the offense for handcuffing the defense because they cant score enough in the first half of a game.... :imho:

harpo
11-17-2010, 11:55 AM

This is only Ziggy's 2nd year.

UKSTEELER
11-17-2010, 12:16 PM

Heck, your right, . . I stand corrected, seems like he's been in the wings for longer than that!:duh:

SteelerFan87
11-17-2010, 01:10 PM
I would like to see some of this against the Pats (I was just saying the same thing in the silver lining thread. lol) since that's what the Browns did against them and it was effective. But I don't think this can be an every down defense against every team. Teams that run will tear that scheme apart. I'd just save it for teams like the Pats and maybe the Colts, where you need something crazy like this to confuse their QBs and O-lines and get some pressure while also being able to cover short passes.

coldrolled
11-17-2010, 03:04 PM

And how many actual nfl plays under hood's belt???

Maualuga has alot more..... he actually played two years. he still is developing also with a lot more playing time then hood has had..

harpo
11-17-2010, 03:38 PM
And how many actual nfl plays under hood's belt???

Maualuga has alot more..... he actually played two years. he still is developing also with a lot more playing time then hood has had..

I just made this point in another thread. He really hasn't played consistently to get to the level that most fans want him to be. He was a rotational player last year, and he's started, what....2 games this year?

I'm willing to give the kid a few years to develop. I mean, Aaron Smith didn't jump right in and become an 'All-Pro' type player in his few years. It took him a while, but he finally got it right.