PDA

View Full Version : Steelers cut kicker Jeff Reed

PsychoWard
11-16-2010, 12:19 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10320/1103742-66.stm

Tuesday, November 16, 2010
By Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

Former Steelers kicker Jeff Reed was released by the club today.The Steelers have released struggling kicker Jeff Reed and are expected to sign former Washington Redskins kicker Shaun Suisham, who worked out for them this morning, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Suisham, who was cut in by the Steelers in training camp in 2005, kicked at Heinz Field in gray conditions under the watchful eye of Coach Mike Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert.

In parts of four seasons with the Redskins, he converted 81 of 101 field goal attempts, a conversion percentage of 80.1 percent. In 12 games last season, Suisham made 18 of 21 field goals (85.7 percent).

Suisham also kicked for the Dallas Cowboys after being cut by the Steelers.

lloydfan4life
11-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Buh Bye Drunk! :bluehello:

DIESELMAN
11-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Now he has plenty of time to act a fool and contemplate his kicking future in the NFL.

BlitzburghRockCity
And there you have it, they finally had enough. I think some of this had to do with Reed's comments to the media the other night. Right now it's in his head and they don't feel they can risk how long it would take for him to work out of this funk.

Suisham has kicked here before, and how ironic is it that in the same manner that Reed was hired on that rainy, cold, day when he kicked for Cowher is how Suisham ends up trying out and getting signed.

Big T
I honestly don't think Shaun Suisham can do any better lol...

tuggysteel822
11-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Wow. This is quite a shock. Though I expected that, it's quite a surprise. Good luck to suisham, but poor sheetz towel dispensers. Lol
This is crazy.

Rampage
11-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Can't say I am surprised. Thanks for the past service Reed. Good luck Suisham.

nuclearchihuahuas
11-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Thank God that's over! I hope the new guy has a great run

Steelersfan
I'm a little surprised because the Steelers don't usually do this. Now if someone with the initials BA would get cut, all Steeler nation would be happy!

BlitzburghRockCity
Honestly, I think Reed deserves some thanks from the Steeler Nation. He was there kicking for us in SB XL and SB XLIII. He won many many games for us and made a lot of clutch kicks. It's unfortunate it didn't work out, he was a fan favorite for a lot of years.

That's life in the NFL though, it's a what have you done for me lately kind of league.

lloydfan4life
11-16-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm a little surprised because the Steelers don't usually do this. Now if someone with the initials BA would get cut, all Steeler nation would be happy!

:yellowthumb: exactly.

steelersgal86
11-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Honestly, I think Reed deserves some thanks from the Steeler Nation. He was there kicking for us in SB XL and SB XLIII. He won many many games for us and made a lot of clutch kicks. It's unfortunate it didn't work out, he was a fan favorite for a lot of years.

That's life in the NFL though, it's a what have you done for me lately kind of league.

I agree...he use to be Mr Reliable ..... Thanks for the good years Reed....:yellowthumb:

StlersGuy
11-16-2010, 12:36 PM
About time don't let the door hit you on the way out... good ridings

*Sent from my HTC Droid using the Now Network..

coldrolled
11-16-2010, 12:47 PM
I agree...he use to be Mr Reliable ..... Thanks for the good years Reed....:yellowthumb:

I bet his short kickoffs created this move more than a few missed field goals.

he still hits nice field long goals... but his kickoffs do suck....

I wish BA was driving him out of town... :greengrin:

LatrobePA
11-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Please let BA be next!

Reed will be in Cinci by the weekend!!

igor0190
11-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Please let BA be next!

More than likely.... I feel sorry for Reed if he goes to Cinci.
BA not going anywhere... unfortunately.

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-16-2010, 12:56 PM
hope he takes tomlin's/ba's worthless 4year old playbook with him. you know, the one all the other teams in the nfl use to beat the **** outta us. okay, is dsep gonna do it? at least kick a long ball. wonder what clued management into figuring out "houston we got a problem".

LatrobePA
11-16-2010, 12:56 PM
More than likely.... I feel sorry for Reed if he goes to Cinci.
BA not going anywhere... unfortunately.

I know, but wishful thinking will help pass the time!! lol

super cleats
11-16-2010, 01:00 PM
i think this was a stupid decision, everyone has a bad ****ing year. we wern't going to win the super bowl this year so we didn't need to make any rash decisions.

thanks for your time jeff... stupid *** front office

Big T
11-16-2010, 01:02 PM
i think this was a stupid decision, everyone has a bad ****ing year. we wern't going to win the super bowl this year so we didn't need to make any rash decisions.

thanks for your time jeff... stupid *** front office

so you are mad about this but not about getting rid of Santonio for a 5th? :thinking:

coldrolled
11-16-2010, 01:07 PM
so you are mad about this but not about getting rid of Santonio for a 5th? :thinking:

A 5th. Hey.. we can get a good kicker... or another DL we can put on the PS or inactive list. :cope:

LatrobePA
11-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Holmes being traded will haunt us! He's already won 2 games for the J-E-T-S!!

Reed should of been traded a month ago, IMO Tomlin knew he wasn't keeping him around, this way they could of at least got something for him. Kinda like his decisioin to drop a 4th from this past draft.

I agree with Tomlin on Reed, but timing wise is not the greatest!!

HUNT4SEVEN
11-16-2010, 01:12 PM
I honestly don't think Shaun Suisham can do any better lol...

He probably can't but I'm glad they got rid of that cancer P.O.S Reed :tt02: Also now we need to let BA punk @$$ go and a few others also, then we will be ok...

coldrolled
11-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Suisham booted a career-long 52-yard field goal in 2006 while playing for the Cowboys.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-16-2010, 01:13 PM
A 5th. Hey.. we can get a good kicker... or another DL we can put on the PS or inactive list. :cope:

We used that 5th on C.Butler this year

coldrolled
11-16-2010, 01:14 PM
i love butler. he is inactive... i think he played a play on ST this week and hurt his leg.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Suisham probably isn't an upgrade by no means but again just like the Holmes trade the player forced the Steelers hands here.......Reed's performance has been terrible all year and his comments after the game didn't help his case.....

Holmes and Reed won games for the Steelers and I still miss Holmes.....But both Holmes and Reed are to blame as well for not being Steelers anymore.......

Zachintosh66
11-16-2010, 01:22 PM
The paper towel dispensers are now safe in the 'burg!

Didnt think they would do it, but glad they did...

steelfury455
11-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Finally! All the Steeler problems have been solved, lol. This is in no way an upgrade so something else in the background had to have happened to get fired midseason..

Zachintosh66
11-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Assuming that Shaun Suisham will wear #6...

Hopefully this isnt this years version of Tomlin "Unleashing Hell"

LarryNJ
11-16-2010, 01:48 PM

:plus1: Thanks Jeff, see ya!

Blazedby92
11-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Don't let the turf trip you on the way out the door.

SteelDad
11-16-2010, 01:56 PM

You're absolutely right BRC, but I think this move also is about the team recognizing it has problems right now and that just about everybody is on the chopping block in one way or the other.

Scorp
11-16-2010, 01:58 PM
As much as i wanted to see you go Reed. Just want to say thanks for all the memories. Good luck with whatever you decide to do next Bro.

super cleats
11-16-2010, 02:10 PM

mike wallace will replace santonio fine.... Jeff was great in the playoffs, lest not forget the AFC Championship and Super Bowls...

Jeff will be harder to replace, yes let's just trust Suisham straight outta the door as he comes in.

we better draft a kicker in this year's draft, i know there are some very good ones coming out.

--- Added 11/16/2010 at 01:10 PM ---

i like jeff but these are funny

Xjo2iOUIz18

8jNXnH0xm-k

bth i know it's "kickers are only as good as their last kick" but show the dude some respect, and he was absolutley right, some pittsburgh fans are *******s to their players, so go trip over and fall in a ditch

Farrior Fan
11-16-2010, 02:22 PM
nice videos...maybe suisham can put some kickoffs in the endzone. Thanks for the good years Reed, you were money. Too bad you cost us at least 2 games at the beginning of last year and have stunk up the joint this year.

LatrobePA
11-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Lets hope some fans can start getting on BA's nerves so he has an outburst then shown the door!!

super cleats
11-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Lets hope some fans can start getting on BA's nerves so he has an outburst then shown the door!!

why dont people throw their burgers and cool drinks at him from the stands, it's not like the security guards will care, they would probably join in lol

coldrolled
11-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Please let BA be next!

Bengals Sign K Aaron Pettrey
The Cincinnati Bengals have signed free agent kicker Aaron Pettrey, Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

Pettrey was signed to replace Mike Nugent, who tore the ACL in his right knee during Sunday's 23-17 loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

igor0190
11-16-2010, 02:34 PM

:plus1:

He won a lot of games for us.... Thanks is definately in order.

LatrobePA
11-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Bengals Sign K Aaron Pettrey
The Cincinnati Bengals have signed free agent kicker Aaron Pettrey, Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

Pettrey was signed to replace Mike Nugent, who tore the ACL in his right knee during Sunday's 23-17 loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

Ok my next guess is the Pats....

steelersbabex25
11-16-2010, 02:43 PM
In past years, Reed has been such a stand up guy. "Mr. Reliable," nice to the fans, good with the media. I used to really like him. But lets face it, he's a total ******* now. No other way you can spin it. He's bad mouthing Steeler nation and he just MISSED a 27 yard field goal. Peace out Reed. Maybe now you can go back to what you do best..picking up trashy drunk girls at bars.

Speeed
11-16-2010, 02:45 PM
I will miss him. Despite how many feel about his recent antics and performance, his service to The Nation cannot be denied. Everyone looses their edge over time, especially in the role as an NFL kicker. I don't understand the hate.

I don't think they should have made the move just yet. However, I am sure there is more to it than what we see on the field. Regardless, I wish him well and I hope to see him kick elsewhere.

Despite letting him go, my money says we lose at least one game on kick at Heinz field that Reed would have more than likely made. Oh well. . . .

SteelCityKid5
11-16-2010, 02:47 PM
I mean its good hes gone but lets be honest Reed was a damn good kicker minus these past two years. So thanks for the good years Jeff.

LatrobePA
11-16-2010, 02:49 PM
I mean its good hes gone but lets be honest Reed was a damn good kicker minus these past two years. So thanks for the good years Jeff.

Ditto!

SteelDad
11-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Suisham may not be any better than JR so as long as he makes all of his field goal tries things will be fine.:stirpot:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Suisham probably isn't an upgrade by no means but again just like the Holmes trade the player forced the Steelers hands here.......Reed's performance has been terrible all year and his comments after the game didn't help his case.....

Holmes and Reed won games for the Steelers and I still miss Holmes.....But both Holmes and Reed are to blame as well for not being Steelers anymore.......

Nah Suisham isn't an upgrade, but at this point I'm just hoping he can make all the "makable" kicks for us this year. We are getting into the bad weather season in Pittsburgh so we need someone that can at least make the kicks they are supposed too. Since he's coming in fresh, he won't have the pressure of the fans beating down on him like Reed did.

Steel Trap86
11-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Glad they did it. a change had to be made, I hope Tomlin keeps the feeling going and makes a change at OC.

super cleats
11-16-2010, 03:27 PM
lol it's funny how when the dude goes, everyone backstabs and hates him, I would laugh so much if he signs with a team and kicks us out of the playoffs one day, i will laugh and **** myself to death

jnes1216
11-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Sometimes a change of scenery will benefit both parties.

Troyisabeast_43
11-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Nah Suisham isn't an upgrade, but at this point I'm just hoping he can make all the "makable" kicks for us this year. We are getting into the bad weather season in Pittsburgh so we need someone that can at least make the kicks they are supposed too. Since he's coming in fresh, he won't have the pressure of the fans beating down on him like Reed did.

Well for now he wont if he misses a kick that costs the Steelers a game people are going to ripping him to shreds. Suisham isnt a great kicker but he isnt terrible either. He has hit over 80 percent of his kicks in his NFL career and has kicked in bad weather and is familiar with Heinz Field. I think he will be fine and do a good job...

Clevelandsux
11-16-2010, 05:12 PM
I'll give Tomlin credit. It had to be done. Reed has been with us a longtime, and two super bowls.Reed was a great kicker. But he just wasn't doing it anymore. Plus, all of the offseason shananigans weren't helping. Not sure if the new guy will be any better, hope so.

--- Added 11/16/2010 at 04:12 PM ---

I saw the pittsburgh post gazette, and Ed Bouchette thought the Steelers made a mistake. They interviewed the fans, all the males seemed to think it was a good move. All the females didn't?????

I agree with the one gentleman, he thought there was more to it than just reeds bad kicking.

Diamondhead
11-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Goodbye, old chum. You may have been an incorrigible rum-pot, but you were OUR incorrigible rum-pot. I hope another team picks up your tab.

You will forever live on in my avatar.

I'm off now to celebrate Jeff's memory by choking down a twelve pack and urinating in the parking lot of the local Walmart.

'Tis a sad day in the Diamondhead Household. But the show must go on.

coldrolled
11-16-2010, 06:05 PM
See ya reed.

TheButt
11-16-2010, 06:20 PM
This all well an good but when in the hell is the freakin bum known as Willie Gay gonna be cut.... ?

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-16-2010, 06:49 PM
he was tired of playin for the steelers. whoopi.

tuggysteel822
11-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the points JR. You helped us a lot the past 8 yrs. You will be missed. Good luck in your future endeavors.

jpele
11-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Was it a 23 yarder Jeff missed ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhovxwaZ4VY

Clevelandsux
11-16-2010, 08:49 PM
lol it's funny how when the dude goes, everyone backstabs and hates him, I would laugh so much if he signs with a team and kicks us out of the playoffs one day, i will laugh and **** myself to death

Then go root for the Browns.

bobbybelliv
11-17-2010, 01:10 AM
Jeff got a bad rep for doin what single guys do. Jeff had an amazing rep ("guaranteed Reed) for his clutch kicking style. The guy did a hell of job, have some of you forgotten his clutch kicks as a 6 seed in the SB? WTF! Jeff is a class act around here in NC with a where and when attitude toward charity work or pickin up a bar tab for the local drunk. Hats off to you Steeler fans who remember the good with the bad, isn't that one of the defining charachteristics of The Steeler Nation? God forbid Cincy picks him up, that guy knows our offense a bit better than the average kicker I promise you!

Dean Denton
11-17-2010, 04:02 AM
I honestly don't think Shaun Suisham can do any better lol... I have to agree with you on this one. I fail to see the upgrade here. Maybe they should have plucked someone out of the Arena league...

--- Added 11/17/2010 at 03:02 AM ---

I'll give Tomlin credit. It had to be done. Reed has been with us a longtime, and two super bowls.Reed was a great kicker. But he just wasn't doing it anymore. Plus, all of the offseason shananigans weren't helping. Not sure if the new guy will be any better, hope so.

--- Added 11/16/2010 at 04:12 PM ---

I saw the pittsburgh post gazette, and Ed Bouchette thought the Steelers made a mistake. They interviewed the fans, all the males seemed to think it was a good move. All the females didn't?????

I agree with the one gentleman, he thought there was more to it than just reeds bad kicking.offseason shananigans? I must have missed all of that. I was too busy paying attention to All of Bens offseason shananigans.

coldrolled
11-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Free Agent K Jeff Reed Turned Down Cincy Offer
Kicker Jeff Reed successfully passed through waivers, which isn't surprising considering the team claiming him would be on the hook for $1.158 million in guaranteed base salary for seven weeks' work from a struggling kicker.

What is surprising is that Reed received offers to kick this weekend, but turned them down.

"We had three calls and two offers," Donal Henderson, Reed's agent, told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "But we're not going to kick this weekend."

Henderson added that one of the offering teams were the Cincinnati Bengals, who signed rookie free agent kicker Aaron Pettrey. San Francisco added a temporary kicker (Shane Andrus) this week, and likely inquired about Reed, as well.

Reed will receive the $1.158 million remaining from the Steelers. Based on Reed signing what will likely be a one-year contract at league minimum salary of $755,000, he passes up a game-check worth nearly $45,000.