PDA

View Full Version : Steeler players that better be on the hot seat

mwittman5
11-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Jeff Reed: obvious reasons
mcfadden: getting picked on more than a nerd in middle school
gay: Getting torched by a TE? really now?
hood: time to step up, seems non-existent
randle el: dropped an easy TD yesterday, taking time away from rookies w/ potential
essex: look at film of him and hes horrible, weakest link on the line

Tomlin should be on the hot seat too if the Steelers stumble to the raiders or bills, no excuses to lose to them. Raiders arent that good, they are just beating up on their weak division

coldrolled
11-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Steelers Pondering Kicker Change
The Pittsburgh Steelers are contemplating a change at kicker, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports.

Schefter adds that the team will be bringing free agent kickers in for workouts on Tuesday.

Steelers kicker Jeff Reed was franchised in the off-season, and is earning a fully guaranteed base salary of $2.814 million this season. Reed is just 15-of-22 field goal attempts, missing at least one field goal try in each of the last three weeks.

Reed also missed both of field goal attempts, from 45 and 49 yards out, in the Steelers' 17-14 loss to the AFC North rival Baltimore Ravens in Week 4.

Reed chalked last night's miss from 26 yards out to the choppy turf at Heinz Field.

"I'm not one to make excuses," Reed said. "I'll take the credit for the miss. It was a great snap, a great hold, great protection. It's kind of hard when you plant your foot and the hole--a piece of ground moves where the ball's under the holder. I almost missed the ball completely.

"I'm not going to make excuses. If you've played any kind of sports in your life, you realize that what we play on is not very good turf. It happens."

mwittman5
11-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Steelers Pondering Kicker Change
The Pittsburgh Steelers are contemplating a change at kicker, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports.

Schefter adds that the team will be bringing free agent kickers in for workouts on Tuesday.

Steelers kicker Jeff Reed was franchised in the off-season, and is earning a fully guaranteed base salary of $2.814 million this season. Reed is just 15-of-22 field goal attempts, missing at least one field goal try in each of the last three weeks.

Reed also missed both of field goal attempts, from 45 and 49 yards out, in the Steelers' 17-14 loss to the AFC North rival Baltimore Ravens in Week 4.

Reed chalked last night's miss from 26 yards out to the choppy turf at Heinz Field.

"I'm not one to make excuses," Reed said. "I'll take the credit for the miss. It was a great snap, a great hold, great protection. It's kind of hard when you plant your foot and the hole--a piece of ground moves where the ball's under the holder. I almost missed the ball completely.

"I'm not going to make excuses. If you've played any kind of sports in your life, you realize that what we play on is not very good turf. It happens."

ya I've seen that. They should let him go, idk about you guys but I have no confidence in him making kicks anymore

JensK
11-16-2010, 06:13 AM
Furthermore, word out of training is that Steelers have started to rotate McFadden out, even before the Patriots game. Obviously, there is no official word on this, and reporters are not allowed to write about training sessions, but they have not been pleased with McFadden so far.

Dean Denton
11-16-2010, 06:30 AM
After another beat down at the hands of the Patriots I would think this entire team needs to be on the hot seat. Coaches too. Its one thing to lose a game, but when you lose everytime you play a team (Patriots) you need to take a look at everyone. The Steelers need to thank whoever took Brady's knee out a couple years ago because if he were playing the Steelers would have never made it to the SB if they had to play the Patriots. Thanks for not playing Brady you let the Steelers win a 6th ring. You really are a great guy Tom brady, thanks for taking time off to make Steeler Nation happy.....hey, maybe the Steelers can ask Eli Manning how to beat that team.....sigh

coldrolled
11-16-2010, 07:14 AM
After another beat down at the hands of the Patriots I would think this entire team needs to be on the hot seat. Coaches too. Its one thing to lose a game, but when you lose everytime you play a team (Patriots) you need to take a look at everyone. The Steelers need to thank whoever took Brady's knee out a couple years ago because if he were playing the Steelers would have never made it to the SB if they had to play the Patriots. Thanks for not playing Brady you let the Steelers win a 6th ring. You really are a great guy Tom brady, thanks for taking time off to make Steeler Nation happy.....hey, maybe the Steelers can ask Eli Manning how to beat that team.....sigh

The ryan brothers just beat them in 2010 why look into history. The Jets beat them last year in game 1 the same way as a matter of fact.

obviously the browns and jets had a plan that worked. did we copy any of that.. would we.. no... were better than that..... ugh... :banging: the saints... the browns beat them down with TJWard. copy that... no... :willybs:

if we are that subborn to adjust... we deserve to lose.

DanRooney
11-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Woodley's stats:

vs Falcons - 2 solos, 1 assist, 1 sack
vs Titans - 2 solo, 1 assist, 1 sack
vs Bucs - 1 solo, 1 assist, 0 sacks
vs Ravens - 2 solos, 3 assist, 0 sacks
vs Browns - 1 solo, 0 assists, 1.5 sacks
vs Dolphins - 1 solo, 1 assist, 0 sacks
vs Saints - 2 solos, 0 assists, 0 sacks
vs Bengals - 0 solos, 1 assist, 2 sacks
vs Pats - 1 solo, 2 assists, 0 sacks
TOTAL = 12 solos, 10 assists, 5.5 sacks

Blazedby92
11-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Woodley's stats:

vs Falcons - 2 solos, 1 assist, 1 sack
vs Titans - 2 solo, 1 assist, 1 sack
vs Bucs - 1 solo, 1 assist, 0 sacks
vs Ravens - 2 solos, 3 assist, 0 sacks
vs Browns - 1 solo, 0 assists, 1.5 sacks
vs Dolphins - 1 solo, 1 assist, 0 sacks
vs Saints - 2 solos, 0 assists, 0 sacks
vs Bengals - 0 solos, 1 assist, 2 sacks
vs Pats - 1 solo, 2 assists, 0 sacks
TOTAL = 12 solos, 10 assists, 5.5 sacks

WOW even in his contract year

UKSTEELER
11-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Woodley sucked for the first 2/3rds of last season too, he only turned it on when it didn't matter!

He's got to be the most over-rated Steeler at the moment.

Prosdo
11-16-2010, 09:50 AM
William Gay is definitely on the hot seat. The first TD it looked like he was in good position. Brady threaded in a hell of a throw. The last two he just got beat. He is liability back there.

Steelersfan
11-16-2010, 10:06 AM
He is liability back there.

That's putting it nicely.......lol

jnes1216
11-16-2010, 10:23 AM
At what point does drafting for the best player available become a liability? Some of these issues with personnel (except Reed) could have been negated with a more concentrated effort to fill some of the need areas with depth. How many linebackers do we need to draft just to let them go? Drafting for a need does not always mean its a reach pick. Our o-line is a shambles and could have done better than Scott in the 5th (in addition to MP). I don't think the draft process needs to be changed a lot but just some more emphasis put on the areas that are thin. This coupled with their reluctance to enter free agency has limited our options when injuries occur and starters are on the "hot seat" (def. secondary especially). Just my :2cents:

HUNT4SEVEN
11-16-2010, 11:16 AM
The ryan brothers just beat them in 2010 why look into history. The Jets beat them last year in game 1 the same way as a matter of fact.

obviously the browns and jets had a plan that worked. did we copy any of that.. would we.. no... were better than that..... ugh... :banging: the saints... the browns beat them down with TJWard. copy that... no... :willybs:

if we are that subborn to adjust... we deserve to lose.

Them Ryan boys knows DEFENCE...MEMO to the Rooneys clean the entire house and bring in Rob Ryan and let him bring in a REAL OC and i bet u with the talent we have and NEW schemes on Offense and Defense we win multiple SB...we are still running BC offense just ask Greg Williams and D.L defense is still well in effect also we need change...:tt02:

--- Added 11/16/2010 at 09:16 AM ---

William Gay is definitely on the hot seat. The first TD it looked like he was in good position. Brady threaded in a hell of a throw. The last two he just got beat. He is liability back there.

I wouldn't mind seeing Butler in the Nickel package in Gays place, he has better speed than Gay and looking at his college film he knows how to stay with his guy, Tomlin needs to give this young talent we have a chance i thought the Rooneys told Tomlin to bring along the young talent faster?:rant2:

Prosdo
11-16-2010, 12:14 PM
That's putting it nicely.......lol

Indeed it is. They need to figure out how to address that problem quick.

coldrolled
11-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Tomlin needs to give this young talent we have a chance i thought the Rooneys told Tomlin to bring along the young talent faster?:rant2:

What is up with that... A fullback, the pony, a backfield even, young player rotations..

crap the pats had 4 rookies starting on defense and swapped 5 players at a time on defense during the game. thats fresh rotation..

we ran our old guys 4 qtrs..... the rookies play special teams. they will learn a bunch in that spot...

you guys are starting to make me feel that maybe Tomlin is dead wood too. Arians is already driftwood.. but looking at the overall picture. tomlin maybe starting to die out...
:evilshake:

SteelDad
11-16-2010, 01:17 PM
I would think every single guy is on the hot seat, but certainly the ones mentioned are accurate. Being a University of Michigan fan, I watched every game of Woodley's career including his days at Saginaw High. One thing I was always concerned about was the fact that he could absolutely disappear in a game or series of games. Keeping in mind he played in a 'down position' at Michigan, but was still primarily a rush guy, if he had tackles with long arms and decent bases, then he struggled. His motor seemed completely predicated on early-game success too. The running joke was that if he didn't have a sack in the first half, then he would disappear in the second. I would think he is clearly a guy on the hot seat and will need to step up his game.

JensK
11-16-2010, 07:37 PM
I have to say I don't understand the hating on Gay. Is it just because he sucked last year, and he is an easy target because of that?

First of, Gay have been playing nickelback this season, which means he is responsible for either the TE or their third WR, which he have handled very well this season. He's been burned by teams first WRs and some really good TEs, who have burned players much better than Gay. Gay should NEVER be placed 1 on 1 against T.O. without safety help for instance. That is not Gays fault, but a bad call by LeBeau, or a blown coverage by Troy (atm im leaning towards the last).

Besides, we are not getting enough pressure on the QB at the moment. Even the best CBs in this league cannot cover a man for too long. If guys like Brady and even a underperforming Palmer get too long in the pocket they'll pick you apart, especially when the NB is lined up against one of the best players on the respective team.

You can hate all you want on Gay, but the fault is not only to put on him, but on bad playcalling, and a bunch of other players not getting their job done.

Goodfrom55
11-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Definitely don't want to overreact, but Gay being torched by a rookie TE, unacceptable.
McFadden is absolutely killing our pass defense. Too soft in coverage. Hood needs to stop dancing and if nothing else, apply pressure to the opposing QB. As I read today how Jonathan Scott did well enough to start again? What game was I watching? He should be paid by the Pats this week. What an awful performance! Legursky needs to be back in there and let Essex park the cars for the players.

One more point, Troy mentioned in an interview that the job of rover is now in the hands of LT. Well, I think it should go back to Troy; defense was much less predictable when he held that responsibility.

--- Added 11/17/2010 at 02:34 PM ---

oh yeah, and the best job in America belongs to Tony Hills. When are they gonna give this guy a chance to earn his paycheck? Is he really as bad or worse than Jonathan Scott? I don't get it.

super cleats
11-17-2010, 04:37 PM
mcfadden sucks i told you we needed a db in the draft but nooooooooooooooooooo everyone was in love with o-lineman

igor0190
11-17-2010, 04:45 PM
mcfadden sucks i told you we needed a db in the draft but nooooooooooooooooooo everyone was in love with o-lineman

Ummm.... I wouldn't go there if you're referring to Pouncey :nono: :nono:

super cleats
11-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Ummm.... I wouldn't go there if you're referring to Pouncey :nono: :nono:

if hartwig could get us to the super bowl then that was fine, it's CLEAR we are not going back to the super bowl unless we drastically revamp our secondary. I would choose Earl Thomas always over Maurkice Pouncey, don't get me wrong Pouncey is a great player, but we could of easily got a great center in next year's draft, we just missed out on one of the better safeties to come out in years.

so me and you will be watching the playoffs or super bowl from the sofa this january :D :cope:

Goodfrom55
11-17-2010, 05:00 PM
To put it in perspective. . .Swap QB's past SUnday night and put Brady behind the Steelers O-Line and he does less than half of what he or Ben did on Sunday night. With a good O-line, Ben is bar none, the best QB in the league. With what he has now, he's top 5.

Pouncey is one of those rare guys who defines a position for the next 12-15 years, hopefully all in black and gold. There are glaring needs, but when a blue chip guy comes along to make an immediate impact on the team, you have to take him.

--- Added 11/17/2010 at 03:00 PM ---

My opinion, but safety is not the issue in the secondary; Steelers need a shut down corner.

igor0190
11-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Trading up in the top 10 to get Earl Thomas was hardly an option anyways. For where we were in the draft, having Pouncey available has obviously turned out to be the best case scenario.

--- Added 11/17/2010 at 03:14 PM ---

To put it in perspective. . .Swap QB's past SUnday night and put Brady behind the Steelers O-Line and he does less than half of what he or Ben did on Sunday night. --- Added 11/17/2010 at 03:00 PM ---

Did Brady throw the ball further than 10 yards all game? Sure didn't seem like it. He dinked and dunked (the offensive gameplan BA could never imagine) to perfection.

K Train
11-17-2010, 05:32 PM
woodley always starts out slow....but hood doesnt help him at all

LatrobePA
11-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Trading up in the top 10 to get Earl Thomas was hardly an option anyways. For where we were in the draft, having Pouncey available has obviously turned out to be the best case scenario.

--- Added 11/17/2010 at 03:14 PM ---

Did Brady throw the ball further than 10 yards all game? Sure didn't seem like it. He dinked and dunked (the offensive gameplan BA could never imagine) to perfection.

Lets just say Brady could of had sex with each and everyone of these defenders wives and they wouldn't of done a thing about it. They are terrified of him!!Sorry if this is offensive but it's the truth!!

Goodfrom55
11-17-2010, 07:23 PM
He had a lot of passes in the 10-20 yard range to receivers that were WIDE OPEN, especially on 3rd down. In contrast, Ben ran for his life and was able to make some plays.

jnes1216
11-17-2010, 11:15 PM
I didn't see any throws or reads for Brady that Brian St Pierre could not have made. WR's were wide open. There was one point where the pats were at the Steelers 11yd line or so and McFadden was standing at the goal line. 11yds off the ball near the end zone?? Players and coaches failed miserably this game.

Brad 69
11-21-2010, 09:59 PM

Its not that hard to lose to a team every time you play them when they have one of the best but gayest QBs in the game and one of the best recieving cores in football. But that doesnt mean the whole team needs to be on the hot seat. The game may have turned out differently if theyre tight end wouldnt have burnt william gay 3 times for touchdowns. On a side note it takes more than a QB to make a team and i doubt that eli on the giants offense is even close to our offense. If our defense would have played better against the pats we DEFFINATELY would have won that game.

DanRooney
11-21-2010, 10:12 PM
So when is Woodley going to explode in these next 6 games? Because the slow first half is already over...

mcfly06
11-21-2010, 11:41 PM
I just Hope Woodley stays with us,the players i see on the hot seat now:Gay,Randel el,McFadden are your main ones.Gay more so than McFadden.

GoBenGo
11-22-2010, 12:09 AM
If I were a steeler, and I were on the proverbial hot seat, I would learn how to play o-line, real well, real fast......

coldrolled
11-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Worilds needs to get off the seat more and play olb... it seems he has as many sacks and hits on a qb as plays on the field as an olb..

Brad 69
11-22-2010, 11:07 AM

Well when you have the worst offensive line in the nfl and one of the best defenses In the nfl I think the offensive line needed to be adressed first as you can see the situation we are in now with no back up offesive lineman