PDA

View Full Version : Coach Tomlin

super cleats
11-15-2010, 04:52 PM
I like him, do you?

Zachintosh66
11-15-2010, 05:04 PM
I tried to like him... honest

But It bothers me when coaches dont show emotion. You could still tell when Tony Dungy was pissed, im just saying. He doesnt make adjustments well or put his foot down with the cordinators.

Tomlin is also the king of stating the obvious while not saying anything at all during his pressers...

Im sold... that we need a new direction.

Unfortunatley Tomlin isnt going any where... fast, for that I clicked NO.

Troyisabeast_43
11-15-2010, 05:10 PM
No I think he is in over his head and does not know how to finish the last half of the season. He has had collapses in 2 of his 3 seasons here as head coach and the way things looked last night it looks like a 3rd could well be on it's way. He lucked into a Super Bowl in 2008 getting to play the Chargers and Ravens instead of two teams that beat them in the regular season the Colts and Titans. Ill say this much a loss this weekend to Oakland here at Heinz Field and this Steelers team is in huge huge trouble and in danger of falling apart...

Rampage
11-15-2010, 05:17 PM
I am beginning to lean towards a no vote; however, I will give him the benefit of the doubt. If this team continues to squander opportunities and leads, use poor clock management, and haphazardly challenge calls, I will be a concrete no vote. Tomlin needs to get this team its motivation back, like it had the first four weeks of this season. Until he does that, I will continue to be less than impressed with his coaching ability.

steelersbabex25
11-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Everytime they showed Belicheck yesterday, he was on the bench, with his players, going over schemes. Everytime they showed Tomlin he was staring off into the distance with an angry look on his face. And there lies your problem. Tomlin doesn't communicate. He doesn't do anything to turn the game around.

super cleats
11-15-2010, 05:29 PM
has anyone got a clip where it showed a split screen of bellichick and tomlin, and they both had heartrate box monitors.... LOL tomlins was like /\_/\_/\ and bellichecks was _______

LatrobePA
11-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Tomlin at one point looked to be shivering...I think he was under the weather!

Do I like him, not that much. Is he a decent coach, sure!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-15-2010, 06:06 PM
The Rooney's are not going to fire Tomlin so whether you like him or not he's going to be our coach for a long time. The Steelers don't replace coaches at will like some teams so they are going to give him every opportunity to be successful.

Tomlin is the type of coach that lets his assistants do the coaching on gameday and what they say goes. That's ok for Lebeau because he is a master mind genius, a legend. However for a guy like Arians, it's not ok. Even Cowher would step in and throw in his 2 cents during the game.

KSSteelerfan
11-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Not ready to throw in the towel just yet for my support of Coach Tomlin...IMHO however Arians should have been gone yesterday....:rant2:

HUNT4SEVEN
11-15-2010, 06:18 PM
I use to, but not any more... he looks confused as hell when he is getting his @$$ whooped in a game and he doesn't makes the necessary adjustments to win the game, he has horrible clock management skills, he sucks in challenges, He doesn't hold his Coordinators responsible for their BULL SH&! game plans...He doesn't play rookies when he should,i bet he didn't want to play Maurkice Pouncey @ Center because even with the talent MP displayed Hartpig was working with the 1st teamers up untill week 3 of the preseason i believe, he had no choice but to turn to MP because Hartpig was due 2 million if he made the opening day roster, i don't see Tomlin taking charge of the team like i think he should, with the talent we have i say clean house and bring in Rob Ryan, i would love to see a Ryan boy with our defense we need new schemes on offense and defense IMO...I supported Tomlin in the beginning but IMO he is just not getting the job done anymore even though he has never had a losing season yet...

super cleats
11-15-2010, 06:38 PM
I use to, but not any more... he looks confused as hell when he is getting his @$$ whooped in a game and he doesn't makes the necessary adjustments to win the game, he has horrible clock management skills, he sucks in challenges, He doesn't hold his Coordinators responsible for their BULL SH&! game plans...He doesn't play rookies when he should,i bet he didn't want to play Maurkice Pouncey @ Center because even with the talent MP displayed Hartpig was working with the 1st teamers up untill week 3 of the preseason i believe, he had no choice but to turn to MP because Hartpig was due 2 million if he made the opening day roster, i don't see Tomlin taking charge of the team like i think he should, with the talent we have i say clean house and bring in Rob Ryan, i would love to see a Ryan boy with our defense we need new schemes on offense and defense IMO...I supported Tomlin in the beginning but IMO he is just not getting the job done anymore even though he has never had a losing season yet...

i agree with rob ryan as our defensive co-ordinator, i think he can be better than his brother, he always has had a bad defense to manage with, and yet he masters some of the better offenses lol.

i also wouldn't mind ron rivera although it's a different system.

LarryNJ
11-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Sure I like him. Forget the Super Bowl win, he would never have gotten to where he was at such a young age if he wasn't a good coach. That being said it's very possible to be a great good or even great position coach or coordinator and not so good as a head coach. We'll see the rest of this year if he learned anything from last years experience. Look at all the dumb **** Cowher did for his first 13 years and now everyone thinks he's one of the top 2 or 3 coaches around.

I'm not a big fan of Jason Whitlock but he makes a few good points on coaching today.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-coaches-have-lost-power-and-league-is-paying-for-it-111510

Nolrog
11-15-2010, 07:58 PM
has anyone got a clip where it showed a split screen of bellichick and tomlin, and they both had heartrate box monitors.... LOL tomlins was like /\_/\_/\ and bellichecks was _______

That was in response to Tomlin's quote that the Steelers were an emotional bunch but the Pats were cerebreal (sp?). They don't show emotion, but they have smart thinking players.

Not exactly the kind of thing you want to say about your players. We have guys who are stupid but play hard, they have guys with less talent but make the most of it by playing smart and always thinking. Hmmmmm.

Iron City South
11-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Sure I like him. Forget the Super Bowl win, he would never have gotten to where he was at such a young age if he wasn't a good coach. That being said it's very possible to be a great good or even great position coach or coordinator and not so good as a head coach.

Given Tomlin's well polished motivational orator skills, I just think he's the type that interviewed well. I've interviewed enough people to knowthat some do it much better than others.

The correct decision at the time would have been Ken Whizenhut IMO. That was my 1st choice. Whiz was smart, creative, had the players respect, and knew their skill sets better than anyone. :2cents:

Moondog
11-15-2010, 10:51 PM
I thought Tomlin did a good job in getting the players ready for the first four games when Ben was suspended. Mike was fired up and his players responded, but now, since Ben's return it's like he just went into cruise mode and so has his team.

LarryNJ
11-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Given Tomlin's well polished motivational orator skills, I just think he's the type that interviewed well. I've interviewed enough people to knowthat some do it much better than others.

The correct decision at the time would have been Ken Whizenhut IMO. That was my 1st choice. Whiz was smart, creative, had the players respect, and knew their skill sets better than anyone. :2cents:

Well I guess he has a lot in common with our president. :lol:

Seriously I'm sure he does interview well but he also had a very impressive resume. Wiz is really setting the world on fire out there in that very competitive NFC west.

coldrolled
11-16-2010, 06:36 AM
I thought Tomlin did a good job in getting the players ready for the first four games when Ben was suspended. Mike was fired up and his players responded, but now, since Ben's return it's like he just went into cruise mode and so has his team.

i really think our fans, myself, the steelers players, the media.. all thought wow after going 3-1 without ben we are going to tear teams up.... then Ben came back... our offense went back to Arians-Ben mode and everyone is being deflated.. :imho:

Iron City South
11-16-2010, 06:42 AM
Seriously I'm sure he does interview well but he also had a very impressive resume. Wiz is really setting the world on fire out there in that very competitive NFC west.

Comparing how Whiz is doing out there isnt really a relative comparison. Whiz did just fine when he had a veteran QB leading his team. Defensively, the personnel are much better in Pittsburgh.

Very possible that Whiz could have gotten us 2 rings by now.

harpo
11-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Whiz getting us two rings? Really?

Wasn't it Whiz's team whom the Steelers beat in 2008? Also, isn't Whiz's team currently 3-6 but Tomlin's team is 6-3?

Whiz is where he needs to be....in Arizona. Give me Tomlin, but WITHOUT Bruce Arians.

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-16-2010, 01:23 PM
right now i vote no. the team has flat lined and shows no semblance of aggression and new play calling to counter an extremely knowledgeable nfl that knows everything the steelers are going to do on o and d every single time. the coach is supposed to correct this situation. ???when. it may be or more than likely is too late to do that.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Honestly I don't know what to think of Mike Tomlin........I think he has messed up big time for letting his OC and DC to have free reign to do what they want......Even the old man has been as bad as Arians this year.....I don't give anybody a free pass and that includes one of the best defensive minds ever in the NFL....Honestly I think its times for LeBeau to go....Just retire already.....I'm sick of his 7-10 yards cushions and his 3 and 4 man pass rushes.....People bash BA constantly for lack of adjustments but LeBeau isn't making any either.....lol

Blazedby92
11-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Honestly I don't know what to think of Mike Tomlin........I think he has messed up big time for letting his OC and DC to have free reign to do what they want......Even the old man has been as bad as Arians this year.....I don't give anybody a free pass and that includes one of the best defensive minds ever in the NFL....Honestly I think its times for LeBeau to go....Just retire already.....I'm sick of his 7-10 yards cushions and his 3 and 4 man pass rushes.....People bash BA constantly for lack of adjustments but LeBeau isn't making any either.....lol

Get rid of Lebeau???? REALLY!!!!

He has been giving 7-10 yard cushions for years now and his unit has a bad game even a year and now he should be done, WOW what losing makes people say...

Put down the crack pipe it isn't worth it.:evilshake:

super cleats
11-16-2010, 02:14 PM

THANK YOU SOMEBODY AT LEAST SEE'S PAST WHAT IS A LEGACY.

Just because someone has a legacy doesn't mean he's still the best, he's running on prestige right now, it's time for a shake up.

how can you let cornerbacks have a 10 yard cushion with no pressure, it's idiocy at it's finest, it's telling the quarterback have a 1st down very easily.

i wouldnt mind wade phillips as our d-cord, but i would prefer someone so much more aggressive like gregg williams, my favorite d-cord out there.

Put down the crack pipe it isn't worth it.

I respect your opinions blaze, but i think you need to put the crack pipe down now lol.

Blazedby92
11-16-2010, 05:56 PM
His defense has always gave the cushion to WR for yrs and his defensive unit is having bad games so that means he's done really, where were these thoughts the first four games when the defense was playing lights out.

Football is the ultimate team sport, if the Defense plays bad the offense has to cover for them and vice versa and even special teams plays a big part into how the game is played with field position. If one isn't playing well some part of the team has to step up.

It wasn't just defense plus when the offense can't get rolling that means the defense is on the field alot. it isn't just one aspect of the game

super cleats
11-16-2010, 05:59 PM
His defense has always gave the cushion to WR for yrs and his defensive unit is having bad games so that means he's done really, where were these thoughts the first four games when the defense was playing lights out.

Football is the ultimate team sport, if the Defense plays bad the offense has to cover for them and vice versa and even special teams plays a big part into how the game is played with field position. If one isn't playing well some part of the team has to step up.

It wasn't just defense plus when the offense can't get rolling that means the defense is on the field alot. it isn't just one aspect of the game

his defense has regressed each year with the exception of the 2008 season.

makes you wonder... the game has evolved, you can no longer give so much yards to wide receivers, he hasnt made any adjustments he has to go, he has always been the reason why we lose to new england, he gets schooled by brady each and every single time.

coldrolled
11-16-2010, 06:00 PM

the defense knew they had to take control without ben.. then when ben came back the defense is thinking the game will get easier and they wont need to win every game 10-6 but that hasnt happened and we are in an exhausted cycle. im tired of watching the offensive nonsense, they must be tired of playing to save it..

steelchamp204
11-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Yea just cuase DL is a hofer doesnt mean he gets a free pass, I mean, Brady was making the game look easy and we still didnt press the recievers, bump the receivers or even drill ****ing woodhead when he blocked us. The schemes he runs now are the one from when Porter played, The league knows them and we need something new.

LatrobePA
11-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Brady has always torched Dicks defense, this is no big suprise...The suprise was lack of offense, we all seen the Saints game, so did the coaches and OC, why was there nothing in place to counter that type of rush???

Black@Gold Forever32
11-17-2010, 02:14 AM
Get rid of Lebeau???? REALLY!!!!

He has been giving 7-10 yard cushions for years now and his unit has a bad game even a year and now he should be done, WOW what losing makes people say...

Put down the crack pipe it isn't worth it.:evilshake:

No **** LeBeau's been giving 7-10 year cushions for years...You know what I didn't like it either when they worked...lol I especially don't like when his defense is owned by a rookie TE, Brandon Tate, Wes Welker coming off a knee injury and without Moss to dedicate coverage for his over-rated ***, a Pats OL that isn't great even with Logan Mankins back.......Plus the Pats ran the most basic plays and the Steelers couldn't stop them....Its not all on the old man....The Players are as much to blame as him.....But coaches do put players in position to succeed or fail....Once again Belichick proved his greatness by owning us with 4 defensive rookies starting for his defense......

I never have smoked crack........nice lame *** try by you to be funny.....But like usual you never bring anything to the table......People like you should play in traffic and die......:lol:

Dean Denton
11-17-2010, 03:50 AM
I like him, but I dont like that he doesn't make adjustments when they need to be made. Not sure how or why he doesn't see it, but all the fans do. (Arians) Never saw him give Dick an earfull when the Def is getting beat all over the field by Brady either. Again....I know Dick is the man, and is a Hall of Fame guy, but that doesn't mean you dont jump in his *** when he's getting beat all day. Who's the head coach here?????

Iron City South
11-17-2010, 07:00 AM
Whiz getting us two rings? Really?

Wasn't it Whiz's team whom the Steelers beat in 2008? Also, isn't Whiz's team currently 3-6 but Tomlin's team is 6-3?

Whiz is where he needs to be....in Arizona. Give me Tomlin, but WITHOUT Bruce Arians.

Yes (to use the over-used word) ... REALLY!

Whiz took a perpetually losing franchise and turned them around in 2 years when we met them in SBXLIII ... Whiz did it with a lot less talent on defense too.

Tomlin took over a team that was ripe with talent and experience from the Cowher years and just 2 years removed from from SBXL ..... with most of the roster still intact. (much like Gruden did with Dungy's team in Tampa) :yesnod:

Blazedby92
11-17-2010, 07:33 AM

Whiz took a perpetually losing franchise and turned them around in 2 years when we met them in SBXLIII ... Whiz did it with a lot less talent on defense too.

Tomlin took over a team that was ripe with talent and experience from the Cowher years and just 2 years removed from from SBXL ..... with most of the roster still intact. (much like Gruden did with Dungy's team in Tampa) :yesnod:

REALLY??? HA HA
All i'm going to say is Cardinals NFC West they won a division at 9-7 LMAO
It's been a toss up on NFC playoffs for a few years now and so Whiz had a good team on defense and a not to shabby offense with an good QB.

They got really hot in the playoffs NOBODY could cover those WR

And then their were SIX

harpo
11-17-2010, 10:48 AM

Ok, so what you're saying is that the Steelers would've won the Super Bowl, regardless of who the coach was? How do we even know for a fact that if Whiz was HC, the Steelers would've won it all in 2008?

***NEWSFLASH***

We don't know. We'll never know.

If Whiz is so great at coaching, why are the Cardinals 3-6? :nahnah:

The coaching staff their don't draft very well and they don't staff well.

Again, Whiz is where he should be....in Arizona trying to replicate what's in Pittsburgh. :tt02:

LatrobePA
11-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Tomlin won't panic and start yanking players/ coaches...That's his problem I believe, cutting Reed does nothing.

Now firing an OC (won't mention names) would IMO. Rally around the new guy!!

Iron City South
11-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Whiz was the insider and a great offensive mind. He was the right choice for the HC'ing job in Pittsburgh at the time, not the outsider Tomlin.

Tomlin is a defensive guy .... we already had 1 guru in LeBeau and didn't need another (who didn't even embrace LeBeau's 34 defense at the time .... he just went with it)

igor0190
11-17-2010, 11:31 AM
There are at least 20 other teams would would rather have Tomlin as their head coach... The problem is our offensive coordinator. NOT Tomlin.

Look at Kansas City. I would much rather have Tomlin than Haley. I doubt any of KC's players or fans would argue. Difference is Haley has Weis and Crennel (and Polian). All very good at what they do.

harpo
11-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Whiz was the insider and a great offensive mind. He was the right choice for the HC'ing job in Pittsburgh at the time, not the outsider Tomlin.

Tomlin is a defensive guy .... we already had 1 guru in LeBeau and didn't need another (who didn't even embrace LeBeau's 34 defense at the time .... he just went with it)

I don't know if Whiz was the right choice or not. But what I do know is that, as of right now, Tomlin is having more success than he is. So, in that regard, Tomlin was the right choice.

But, I will say this......

If the Rooneys had hired Whiz, we wouldn't be stuck with Bruce Arians. (lol). But, i'll take a Super Bowl and Bruce Arians instead of Whiz and 'what might've been'.

Tomlin didn't embrace the 3-4? Well he must've lied in the interview that I saw of him, because he said it was a 'no brainer' to go with what had been working. He said there was no reason to change it because 'if it aint broke, don't try and fix it'. He also said that he had so much respect for Dick LeBau that it would've been a 'slap in the face' to him. That sounds like him embracing it to me.

Steelersfan
11-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Then why all the (Tomlin) cover two lately???? Yes, it's there. Just go look and see. Sounds like he is adding his :2cents: to the D these days,

harpo
11-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Then why all the (Tomlin) cover two lately???? Yes, it's there. Just go look and see. Sounds like he is adding his :2cents: to the D these days,

So, the Steelers never used play cover 2 before Tomlin became the head coach?

Steelersfan
11-17-2010, 12:27 PM
So, the Steelers never used play cover 2 before Tomlin became the head coach?

It's not about "if" they used it before. It's about how often and how well it is working now.

harpo
11-17-2010, 12:38 PM
It's not about "if" they used it before. It's about how often and how well it is working now.

You're exactly right because they've been using it for years....long before Mike Tomlin became head coach.

If it's not working, then I think that falls on the defensive coordinator. But then again, maybe the Steelers think that it is working. :thinking:

coldrolled
11-17-2010, 02:09 PM
You're exactly right because they've been using it for years....long before Mike Tomlin became head coach.

If it's not working, then I think that falls on the defensive coordinator. But then again, maybe the Steelers think that it is working. :thinking:

funny.. it does seem at times we are watching 1 team and they are watching a different steeler team by the way they call games and adjust in the games..

igor0190
11-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Ryan Clark via Twitter:
"Great day at work! Coach T turned the heat up at practice and he should have. A great leader for an amazing organization. Massage time! l8er"

When I read this I thought... That is why I like Mike Tomlin and think he is a good coach. He is a great leader and motivator. He's well spoken. He may not have a great offensive mind (which is why were stuck with BA) but he has the players respect and I don't ever see him losing that to be honest. He does have a defensive background, but most of all a head coach needs to be a GREAT leader. Tomlin is that and more.

Compare guys like Brad Childress (offensive mind, not a great leader). Wade Phillips, defensive mind but not a great leader or motivator.

LatrobePA
11-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Tomlin had the players in full pads today, is this a sign??

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c31cd8/article/concussed-ward-passes-tests-back-in-time-for-physical-practice?module=HP_headlines

Rampage
11-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Tomlin had the players in full pads today, is this a sign??

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c31cd8/article/concussed-ward-passes-tests-back-in-time-for-physical-practice?module=HP_headlines

I like seeing that, it could be the KITA motivation that this team needs. Sayonara Camp Cupcake.

Steel Trap86
11-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Ryan Clark via Twitter:
"Great day at work! Coach T turned the heat up at practice and he should have. A great leader for an amazing organization. Massage time! l8er"

When I read this I thought... That is why I like Mike Tomlin and think he is a good coach. He is a great leader and motivator. He's well spoken. He may not have a great offensive mind (which is why were stuck with BA) but he has the players respect and I don't ever see him losing that to be honest. He does have a defensive background, but most of all a head coach needs to be a GREAT leader. Tomlin is that and more.

Compare guys like Brad Childress (offensive mind, not a great leader). Wade Phillips, defensive mind but not a great leader or motivator.

Tomlin is a well spoken guy and I think the players like him, but when I saw him last week all stoned face while getting whipped by the Patriots it made me wonder if he really knows how to face adversity. Last year with his whole unleash hell thing and then this year seeing that just makes me question him a bit. These next games on our schedule are really gonna show how good he is