PDA

View Full Version : Silver Lining About Loss

Cricker24
11-15-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm probably going to be made fun of for saying this, but I did see something positive about last night's loss. I thought from the middle of the 3rd quarter on, the passing game, minus Ward mind you, finally got going. I know people will say that the Steelers were down 23-3 so of course the passing game had to get going. I completely understand that, but this was the first time since Roethlisberger returned that he and the receivers looked like they were on the same page. I know everyone wants the Steelers to be this great running team and I agree that that part of the offense is not up to standard at times, but next Sunday against the Raiders, I would like to see Pittsburgh come out throwing to build a lead and then turn to the running game to keep the lead. I thought Sanders played well in place of Ward last night. Did he make some rookie mistakes? Yeah, but overall I thought he did well. I know this won't happen, but I would like to see Antonio Brown replace Randle El. The drop ARE had in the endzone cannot happen!! Mike Wallace just continues to get better. I know he dropped a touchdown too, but he made up for it. It was kind of funny when he caught that last touchdown pass and was sitting there in the endzone with his hands up like, "Why couldn't we do this all game?" Yes, this was a bad loss, but it happens to every team. I think NE just caught the Steelers at the perfect time; coming off a thrilling Monday night divisional game and right after the Patriots got embarrassed. Am I concerned about the pass defense? Yes, but no more than I was before last night. Looking at the rest of the schedule, I don't see a team that can do what the Patriots did last night. Cincinnati possibly could, but by the time we play them again, Carson Palmer might not be the quarterback and the 2 stooges will be more interested in working out comedy skits for their TV show than trying to win a football game. Don't throw in the towel Steeler Nation!! The 2010 Pittsburgh Steelers will not repeat what happened in 2009!!

GO STEELERS!!!!!!

Chris :tt02:

steelchamp204
11-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Yea it happened in the 3rd quarter, thats when we finally get going, thats the sad part, we can never get into rythym at the 1st quarter. Im not trying to bash this, just saying.

TampaSteelGirl
11-15-2010, 03:58 PM
If anyone makes fun of you Cricker I'll :club: them!!!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion....some good points there. it's nice to see a bright light during a bad situation....hope we regroup sunday!!! :tt02:

LatrobePA
11-15-2010, 03:59 PM
It's called prevent defense, no pass rush etc etc...

They just got whooped!!

Lets see how they rebound Sunday against a red hot Raiders team that has been running the ball very very well and playing outstanding defense...It won't be a cake walk!!

If there is a bright side to our loss last night, here it is: At least we don't play Brady every week!!!

Cricker24
11-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Let's hope the offense can carry over the rhythm they found in the 4th quarter last night into the beginning of the game next Sunday!!!!

K Train
11-15-2010, 04:00 PM
i think mike wallace became a man yesterday....he played his most physical game as a pro and refused to quit

TampaSteelGirl
11-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Let's hope the offense can carry over the rhythm they found in the 4th quarter last night into the beginning of the game next Sunday!!!!

I agree!!!

--- Added 11/15/2010 at 03:03 PM ---

i think mike wallace became a man yesterday....he played his most physical game as a pro and refused to quit

I DEFINATELY agree with this and this is why he's making a perfect fit for this team.

Cricker24
11-15-2010, 04:04 PM
It's called prevent defense, no pass rush etc etc...

They just got whooped!!

Lets see how they rebound Sunday against a red hot Raiders team that has been running the ball very very well and playing outstanding defense...It won't be a cake walk!!

If there is a bright side to our loss last night, here it is: At least we don't play Brady every week!!!

It wasn't all prevent defense. The Patriots were still bringing pressure most of the 4th quarter and whether they were in prevent or not, Ben still had to make the reads, throw the ball and the receivers still had to catch the ball. I'm just saying that hopefully the rhythm they found continues, regardless of how they found it. I'm notorious for trying to find a positive in everything...it's just the way I am!! :lol:

LatrobePA
11-15-2010, 04:05 PM

I agree, you were down on his toughness, you think he's over that? I do, he was taking hits scratching and clawing to the endzone...

--- Added 11/15/2010 at 03:05 PM ---

It wasn't all prevent defense. The Patriots were still bringing pressure most of the 4th quarter and whether they were in prevent or not, Ben still had to make the reads, throw the ball and the receivers still had to catch the ball. I'm just saying that hopefully the rhythm they found continues, regardless of how they found it. I'm notorious for trying to find a positive in everything...it's just the way I am!! :lol:

I'm with you, but they stopped the mad rush for the most part..

I agree Ben woke up to end on a good note, I too hope it carries over...

K Train
11-15-2010, 04:06 PM
he was getting doubled and tripled and still make big plays. but what really got my **** hard was him throwing his body around as a blocker and didnt just go limp on contact....ive been critical of him in that regard (i miss that about santonio) but he was a beast last night

SteelerFan87
11-15-2010, 04:34 PM
First off, I want to dispell the idea that the Steelers' offensive production in the 2nd half was anything but legitimate. Michaels and Collinsworth were saying it; I've heard it on the radio too that it was "garbage time". There's no such thing as garbage time against Bill Belichick. He's shown time and time again that he doesn't care what the situation is, he treats every play as if it's critical, whether he's losing by 3 or winning by 30. So yes, Ben and Wallace were shredding a Patriots D that was still playing like it mattered.

Secondly, I too see a silver lining. I'm actually fairly confident. Our offense played without Ward, or a significant part of our O-line. Our D played without Keisel, with a hurt Harrison, Timmons got hurt, and we played a very conservative D. I saw alot of 3 man rushes. LeBeau didn't have a full week to prepare. So I think LeBeau played it conservative to see how his guys matched up against the Pats, with an eye on a possible playoff rematch where he could have more time to prepare some exotic schemes. NE used alot of 2 tight end sets. IMO, as long as we don't do something stupid like put Gay on a TE, I'd rather they do that than use 3+ WRs. CB is our biggest weakness, and if they have less WRs on the field, that means less CBs we have to put out there.

I'd like to see something similar to what Cleveland did with their "amoeba" defense. I'd go with Hampton and Keisel on the line, with Harrison, Woodley, Timmons, Farrior, and Foote all on the field together. Put Ike and BMac man to man on their 2 WRs, with safety help over the top from at least Clark, and sometimes Troy. Move the front 7 around alot up to the moment the Pats snap the ball. Hampton and Keisel can do what they do, eat up blocks and stop the run. Foote and Farrior are good against the run. (This is just in case the Pats try to mix things up and run it against our 2 man line) Harrison and Woodley are great pass rushers (Woodley is practically a 4-3 DE, which adds even more versatility) and Timmons can do anything, even cover WRs.

So at any given time, you might have Timmons and Polamalu covering the TEs, Hampton, Keisel, Harrison, and Woodley rushing the passer, and Foote and Farrior dropping back into a short zone. Or maybe Troy will blitz, and one of the other guys will drop back in coverage, or maybe Timmons or Foote or Farrior will blitz, and one of the other guys will drop back in coverage. Maybe you'll have 2 guys coming from 1 side, or 1 guy coming from each side. Maybe someone you thought was blitzing will drop back in coverage. Maybe someone you thought was going to cover will come in on a blitz. I think this scheme could give Brady fits, because it's harder for him to read it at the line. I think you could see some pressure from this, and possibly some INTs. The thing about Brady is a QB hurry is as good as a sack, because if you surprise Brady by getting near him, he'll throw the ball away. A couple incomplete passes totally ruins the rhythm the Pats dink and dunk offense depends on.

super cleats
11-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Dude that was garbage play, it was CLEAR CLEAR CLEAR, when do fans just admit that we got our asses handed to us.

Moondog
11-15-2010, 06:42 PM
We got our asses handed to us.

coldrolled
11-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Arians sucks. So lets fire reed...

LatrobePA
11-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Ben said he needs to be better and that they stunk on offense.

Is it reaching a boiling point with him now??