PDA

View Full Version : Defense knew it was coming but couldn't stop it

BlitzburghRockCity
11-15-2010, 12:56 AM
Everybody knew that the Patriots were going to get back to basics tonight after getting embarrassed last weekend. They were going to use Brady the way they have for years with that short passing game. Harrison and Woodley were dropping back in coverage a fair amount during the game trying to clog that middle zone, but Brady still found ways to exploit it.

You just can't allow them that much free space and expect to win the game. When they did blitz and got in Brady's face they had some success in stopping them. IMO they didn't do that enough tonight. Possibly fearing giving up the big play down field? Then Timmons went out and that didn't help matters any.

Speaking of the big plays, each time Brady did the play action they fell for it every single time and gave up a big play. It's not like the Pats were running the ball at all tonight, but for whatever reason they couldn't stop biting on it.

DanRooney
11-15-2010, 12:59 AM
If Crezdon Butler doesn't dress and we don't sign a kicker to compete with Reed, I've lost all faith in the coaching staff.

steelersbabex25
11-15-2010, 01:00 AM
I recall on the first game of the season, I came on here and said the secondary still wasn't very good. AND I RECALL that I got my head cut off for it. Well here ya go folks, this is what I was talking about. It hasn't been recognized in games that we've played before this one, because those teams weren't smart enough to realize that our pass defense is absolutely pathetic. But here we are, faced with an opponent who is smart enough to realize that they could get away with 5-8 yard dumps all game without the secondary making any adjustments.

Not only that, everytime there was an incompletion, it was like the defense had made an extraordinary play. Like ALRIGHT we got an incompletion. That's when you know somethings wrong. I shouldn't be jumping out of my chair cheering everytime Tom Brady misses a reciever. That should be happening a lot more often. But it isn't. And teams are gonna start to realize that and they're gonna pick us apart.

Side note: WHY IN GODS NAME are they putting William Gay in coverage again? The beginning of the season they had it right. Put him in for the nickel plays, don't ever ever ever put him in coverage ever again. Didn't we find out that that was not such a smart idea when he got smoked by every single reciever that he faced last year? Come on LeBeau. That one's on you. STOP PUTTING WILLIAM GAY IN COVERAGE. He's not made to be a corner!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-15-2010, 01:01 AM
They were improved the first 4 games. They were making plays everywhere, but since then it's been nothing but problems for all of them.

Scorp
11-15-2010, 01:03 AM
They soundedly got beaten. Steelers had no answer for them.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Secondary is only good as its pass rush......I'm sticking up for the secondary at all but how can any fan just blame the secondary.....The entire defense is to blame even LeBeau.......Now defense just didn't lose this either since the offense added its own stink up the joint performance.....Just saying Brady had a clean pocket all night and really wasn't hurried that much.....Even a great secondary would have struggled tonight......The great Troy P. with yet another silent performance...

I agree with whoever said Butler should dress and be active on game days....Butler fits our defense well in its zone principles and has a good knack for the ball.....He couldn't do any worse at this point....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
11-15-2010, 01:10 AM
There's no doubt the pass rush was non existent tonight. The Steeler secondary always has needed a solid pass rush to be effective, it's how the 34 really works when you don't use pure cover corners. The entire unit has zero pressure on Brady, and zero answer for anything they did virtually all night.

steelersbabex25
11-15-2010, 01:10 AM
Secondary is only good as its pass rush......I'm sticking up for the secondary at all but how can any fan just blame the secondary.....The entire defense is to blame even LeBeau.......Now defense just didn't lose this either since the offense added its own stink up the joint performance.....Just saying Brady had a clean pocket all night and really wasn't hurried that much.....Even a great secondary would have struggled tonight......The great Troy P. with yet another silent performance...

I agree with whoever said Butler should dress and be active on game days....Butler fits our defense well in its zone principles and has a good knack for the ball.....He couldn't do any worse at this point....lol

Don't get me wrong, the whole defense played a pretty putrid game, but even if you don't get to the quarterback you shouldn't be allowing Brady to complete all of those passes. After the first quarter you discover that all they're doing is throwing short dump passes for 7 yards. Then you gotta make the adjustment and start playing tighter and stop giving all that stuff up. That's all you need to do. But they didn't.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-15-2010, 01:15 AM
Don't get me wrong, the whole defense played a pretty putrid game, but even if you don't get to the quarterback you shouldn't be allowing Brady to complete all of those passes. After the first quarter you discover that all they're doing is throwing short dump passes for 7 yards. Then you gotta make the adjustment and start playing tighter and stop giving all that stuff up. That's all you need to do. But they didn't.

Bum QBs, rookie QB's pick apart our defense when they have time....What do you expect a 3 time Super Bowl Hall of Fame QB to do with all the time to grill a steak in the pocket..........

Adjustments....You're kidding right?....I love LeBeau to death but it seems if he is making adjustments then they're not working.....So leaves me to believe he has the BA attitude we're going to do what we do no matter what the other team is doing......Maybe its time for the old man to retire.....I don't want to see him go but I'm sick of seeing this defense just flat out suck....I also don't if the players are thinking to much out there since if they hit to hard they will be fined or suspended.....its just a bunch of blah right now.....:lol:

Steel Trap86
11-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Brady tore this defense up plain and simple. I HATE losing to the patriots, but they came in and laid it to us. Short pass after short pass after touchdown our defense couldn't stop them tonight and I agree with steelersbabe on the part where you shouldn't have to jump out of your seat because Brady got an incompletion lol he had NOBODY on him all night, he got knocked down maybe twice. The finishing touch was him spiking the ball in our endzone, that's when you knew the Steelers were done tonight

BlitzburghRockCity
11-15-2010, 01:25 AM
Brady, 30/43 350 yds. 3 TD's. and 117 QB rating. That pretty much sums it up. The Steelers lost this game sometime on Saturday afternoon...

Zachintosh66
11-15-2010, 01:26 AM
The next person who says Gay is a good nickel back I'm gonna kick my dog... Ive said it once and ill say it again, this guy has no reason to be on the field, period. END OF STORY!

steelersbabex25
11-15-2010, 01:28 AM
The next person who says Gay is a good nickel back I'm gonna kick my dog... Ive said it once and ill say it again, this guy has no reason to be on the field, period. END OF STORY!

...I mean...He really doesn't need to be on the field at all, but if he's going to be it needs to be as a nickel and not as a corner.

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-15-2010, 01:30 AM
I believe the plays he was on the field he was on as nickel back...Brady was smart enough to realize it and took advantage of it.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-15-2010, 01:30 AM
...I mean...He really doesn't need to be on the field at all, but if he's going to be it needs to be as a nickel and not as a corner.

nickel is still a corner......Nickel is just a term for the 3rd corner out there......Gay was solid in 2008 when filling in for an injured McFadden......But 2009 and this year he has been terrible no doubt......

steelersbabex25
11-15-2010, 01:33 AM
nickel is still a corner......Nickel is just a term for the 3rd corner out there......Gay was solid in 2008 when filling in for an injured McFadden......But 2009 and this year he has been terrible no doubt......

Okay let me rephrase that. When he's on the field it should be for some kind of blitz scheme, not playing one on one coverage on a guy who's been tearing the defense up all night.

Zachintosh66
11-15-2010, 01:35 AM
Gay was solid in 2008 when filling in for an injured McFadden......But 2009 and this year he has been terrible no doubt......

with all due respect did you watch last years games?

then we got B-Mac back and yall tried to tell me Gay will be fine at nickel...

yeah um, about that... :evilshake:

Black@Gold Forever32
11-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Okay let me rephrase that. When he's on the field it should be for some kind of blitz scheme, not playing one on one coverage on a guy who's been tearing the defense up all night.

Blitzes didn't work tonight....coverages didn't work tonight.....Gay has been terrible no doubt but.......Who wasn't tonight?......Time to see what our 5th round pick Crezdon Butler has to offer.....Is he the savior of the Steelers coverage woes?.....Hell no but he couldn't do any worse....lol

steelersbabex25
11-15-2010, 01:38 AM
Blitzes didn't work tonight....coverages didn't work tonight.....Gay has been terrible no doubt but.......Who wasn't tonight?......Time to see what our 5th round pick Crezdon Butler has to offer.....Is he the savior of the Steelers coverage woes?.....Hell no but he couldn't do any worse....lol

That's what we all wanted last year too. SOMEONE else to come in for Gay jut to see if they could do any better. But it never happened. Maybe they'll realize that they need to do some things differently this year.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-15-2010, 01:39 AM
with all due respect did you watch last years games?

then we got B-Mac back and yall tried to tell me Gay will be fine at nickel...

yeah um, about that... :evilshake:

I did say he was terrible in 2009 and this year so far......I guess you missed that.....

Sorry I thought he was going to be fine in his nickel role since he did well in 2008....I was wrong and you were right....Want a ****ing cookie now?....lol

Zachintosh66
11-15-2010, 01:50 AM
I did say he was terrible in 2009 and this year so far......I guess you missed that.....

Sorry I thought he was going to be fine in his nickel role since he did well in 2008....I was wrong and you were right....Want a ****ing cookie now?....lol

No but Im gonna kick my dog anyways, lol

Black@Gold Forever32
11-15-2010, 01:53 AM
No but Im gonna kick my dog anyways, lol

Don't kick your dog....Really man I'm not mad at you so I hope you don't take it that way....Just really frustrated by that pile of crap that I watched tonight......I guess I was just hoping Gay would bounce back.....He is trash but to me the defense is trash right now....From LeBeau to the entire unit.....they all were bad tonight.....

JensK
11-15-2010, 08:00 AM
The thing is, Gay have no been terrible as a NB this year. He played horrible against Patriots and Bengals, but that is purely bad coaching. You cannot expect your 3rd CB to line up against TO and Welker and actually win that battle. When he is allowed to do the job of a NB, Gay is doing a great job. The problem comes when they decide to use their NB as 1st CB...

super cleats
11-15-2010, 02:07 PM
brady owned dick lebeau... enough said, he's done it three times in a row.

our defense and dick lebeau is overrated, i knew it was coming before the game. There's nothing wrong with being embarrased by one of the all-time greats.