PDA

View Full Version : League acknowledges blown calls against Steelers

jpele
11-12-2010, 07:02 PM
The NFL has informed the Pittsburgh Steelers that a pair of penalties that nearly cost them a win over the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday should not have been called in the first place, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The two calls in question against the Steelers -- a roughing-the-passer penalty on nose tackle Casey Hampton and a pass interference call on cornerback Ike Taylor -- came during back-to-back plays in the fourth quarter of the team's 27-21 win.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin sent a formal complaint to the NFL after the game, according to the Post-Gazette. In response, the league informed the Steelers that Hampton's penalty was incorrectly flagged because Hampton hit Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer on the thigh -- not to the head or below the knee. The call on Taylor was also a mistake, according to the newspaper.

The calls, which helped Palmer and the Bengals drive to Pittsburgh's 1-yard line, were not enough in the end.

The Steelers escaped with the victory when Palmer's fourth-down pass to rookie wide receiver Jordan Shipley was knocked away by Taylor and Steelers linebacker James Harrison with 34 seconds remaining.

Link
(http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c0fa3b/article/report-league-acknowledges-blown-calls-against-steelers?module=HP_headlines)

Guess it's safe to say nothing will be done to the refs.

Goodfrom55
11-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Imagine if the Steelers lost that game because of those calls created a free TD?

LatrobePA
11-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Horsechit!

This is the best game the bungles will have played the rest of the season!!

Doesn't hurt to have the zebras chipping in!!

JensK
11-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Imagine if the Steelers lost that game because of those calls created a free TD?

Then this forum would be an unbearable place to be, as there are so many Steelers fans living by the saying: Morale is good, double morale is double as good!

When we played Miami, that was just tough luck for Dolphins, and they could have just closed the game earlier. Same can be said about our game against Bengals. We had PLENTY of opportunities to close that game altogether, but we did not. You should never rely on the refs. to win or loose a game.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2010, 07:41 PM
It's not like this never happens, the league sends out letters every week to teams all over the league when calls are blown. We just hear about the Steelers letters more now because of all the controversy surrounding Harrison this season.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda, this is why should be allowed to challenge significant penalties like this.

jnes1216
11-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Woulda, coulda, shoulda, this is why should be allowed to challenge significant penalties like this.

Are you saying we should be allowed to challenge pass inter. calls or calls within the last minutes of the game? There are so many penalties called already I'd worry about the length of the game.

Speeed
11-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Would those fouled calls have been acknowledged and letters subsequently sent if the Bengals would have won?

igor0190
11-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Roger Goofball was tailgating in Cinci... I suspect he had something to do with those calls. He probably said to the refs "at least make it close, will ya"

:lol: Nice try goofball

nuclearchihuahuas
11-12-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm glad those calls didn't cost us the game, but they very nearly did. With all that has gone on with Harrison it would make the NFL appear clearly against the Steelers. I am very glad they especially recanted the call against Hampton--now I wonder if they will fine him even though it wasn't a foul.

jpele
11-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Would those fouled calls have been acknowledged and letters subsequently sent if the Bengals would have won?

Yes they would,I don't recall the year off hand but the Eagles ran two illegal on sides kicks and recovered the ball and went on to win the game.

We received an apology the following week.

SteelDad
11-12-2010, 10:07 PM
the league is stupid to even make these apologies public. they do nothing but inflame fans and the media. admit to the team in question you screwed up and move on.

steelersbabex25
11-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Now all we need is a letter saying "sorry we haven't called the past 3498098 holds on James Harrison."

twag
11-13-2010, 11:02 AM
all plays inside2 min. are reviewed from "upstairs" what are they doing for the first 58 min.? if it is an obvious BLOWN call like hamton or pass interference why cant they replay it in the booth while the refs are telling each other who what and where. if a flag comes out you cant tell me they cant hit rewind and instantly see and say dude you blew that call cnd change it!!!!:2cents::cope::imho:

Blazedby92
11-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Pass interferes call Taylor admitted to so it must have been borderline. Regardless it happens EVERY game so teams have to fight through them. Like baseball every ump has a different strike zones and in the NFL the refs see things differently too. Players need to recognize this and play accordingly IMO

JensK
11-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Pass interferes call Taylor admitted to so it must have been borderline. Regardless it happens EVERY game so teams have to fight through them. Like baseball every ump has a different strike zones and in the NFL the refs see things differently too. Players need to recognize this and play accordingly IMO

:plus1: Good teams find ways to overcome this. A game should never come down to a refs. call regardless.

Speeed
11-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Yes they would,I don't recall the year off hand but the Eagles ran two illegal on sides kicks and recovered the ball and went on to win the game.

We received an apology the following week.

Interesting. I am surprised. Thanks for the info.

Callax
11-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Looks like it would have been another" whoops, our bad, sorry we blew that one" we get the loss and a letter from NFL refs that we could post on the wall @ Heinz field (along with several others) saying that they were sorry!!!

JensK
11-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Looks like it would have been another" whoops, our bad, sorry we blew that one" we get the loss and a letter from NFL refs that we could post on the wall @ Heinz field (along with several others) saying that they were sorry!!!

I really don't think they are blowing more calls against us than for us tbh. As TG said, this happens a lot, we just hear about it because Steelers have been in focus regarding rules this season.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-13-2010, 07:19 PM
This is nothing new...The blessing is it didn't cost us the game, even a blind man could see that those 2 calls were BS, GO STEELERS!!!!!!:tt02:

steelersbabex25
11-13-2010, 11:54 PM
On one hand, I could see how at a cursory glance that may have looked like Hampton hit Palmer below the knees, and it may have looked like Taylor got a hand on whoever the reciever was. On the other hand, I think those ticky-tackey, could have been, might have been calls need to be removed, especially on such a crucial drive.

I was talking to my brother who's a police officer today, and he said unless he's absolutely 100% sure that he KNOWS that someone committed a traffic violation, he won't pull them over. I think those kind of calls in football need to be looked at the same way. Unless the refs DEFINITELY know that they saw that there was a personal foul, or a hold, or a pass interference, then they should leave the call on the field and let the palyers play.