PDA

View Full Version : Steelers defensive meltdown ranks this season

super cleats
11-11-2010, 06:00 PM
First 3 quarters: PPG Allowed: 1st YPG Allowed: 2
fourth quarter: PPG Allowed: 28th YPG Allowed: 32

That's disgusting, embarrasing numbers. I saw these cracks coming since the Super Bowl game.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/11821/d-gaps-steelers-fourth-quarter-troubles

When the Pittsburgh Steelers took a 27-7 lead over the Cincinnati Bengals early in the fourth quarter Monday night, the thousands of Steelers fans in attendance at Paul Brown Stadium undoubtedly began to turn their thoughts to the team’s week 10 showdown with the New England Patriots.

And who could blame them? Never in the 77-year history of the Steelers has the team lost a game it led by at least 20 points. And no team has overcome a 20-point, fourth-quarter deficit in nearly four years, since the Tennessee Titans beat the New York Giants 24-21 in week 12 of the 2006 season.

But over the following 14:50, the same Steelers defense that held the Bengals to seven points and 156 yards through three quarters allowed 14 points, 116 yards and was a Jordan Shipley drop away from giving Cincinnati four shots to win the game from the 5-yard line. The Steelers’ late meltdown is the latest in a disturbing trend for one of the league’s premier defenses.

Pittsburgh has allowed an NFL-best 123 points through nine weeks, but more than half -- 63 to be exact -- have come in the fourth quarter. It’s not a one-year phenomenon for the Steelers, who allowed more fourth-quarter points than all but two teams in 2009, and let up 16 unanswered points in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XLIII before coming back to win.

Three of Pittsburgh’s seven losses last season came after it led by more than a field goal entering the final quarter, shocking when you consider in the previous 10 seasons (1999-2008) the Steelers were 75-3-1 in games where they led by at least four entering the last quarter, the best record in the NFL. Since 2009, Pittsburgh is 10-3 in such games, the league’s 27th-best record.

steelersbabex25
11-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Dissapointing, but it's nothing new. That's the way the Steelers have played since the year they won the superbowl. They always allow that one last touchdown, whether the game is close or not. As long as they keep winning games regardless, it's not a problem to me.

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Wins 6 losses 2 !! That's the only stat that counts. If you have not figured out that the defense is meant to bend not break ya really need to start paying attention.Do I like the fact they give up alot of points late no but the bottom line is wins.

Scorp
11-11-2010, 10:15 PM
As long as we win the important games like Sunday, i hope. And if we make the playoffs it's all over for whoever we face.

igor0190
11-12-2010, 12:18 AM
These so called "meltdowns" are a sign of what the NFL has become. The No deFense League. Another sign of it tonight in Atlanta when they go 80 yards to score a TD in 1:05. It's unfortunate, but the league has so many advantages for the offense now that football has changed. Thanks again Roger Goofball.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-12-2010, 12:20 AM
But even though the Steelers defense let the Bengals back in the game they still made plays to win it in the end.....Harrison laying the smack down on 4th down to seal the victory.......

aaronsmith91
11-12-2010, 02:47 AM
I blame a fair amount of this on the offence. They never seem to effectively take time off the clock in the 4th quarter. I mean Bill Cower football was get a lead, run the ball and kick a field goal here and there to keep the margin safe.

I mean the 4 minute drive they had when it was 27-20 was the first time I saw that in a while but they still missed the fg that would have sealed the deal

DanRooney
11-12-2010, 02:55 AM
I blame a fair amount of this on the offence. They never seem to effectively take time off the clock in the 4th quarter. I mean Bill Cower football was get a lead, run the ball and kick a field goal here and there to keep the margin safe.

I mean the 4 minute drive they had when it was 27-20 was the first time I saw that in a while but they still missed the fg that would have sealed the deal

Blame weak-legged Guido Reed who can't kick 40 yard field goals anymore.

Dean Denton
11-12-2010, 03:29 AM
Blame weak-legged Guido Reed who can't kick 40 yard field goals anymore.

Every time I read your post, I watch that Troy tackle about ten times. What a great play by him....love it.

super cleats
11-12-2010, 05:49 AM
Wins 6 losses 2 !! That's the only stat that counts. If you have not figured out that the defense is meant to bend not break ya really need to start paying attention.Do I like the fact they give up alot of points late no but the bottom line is wins.

we could of easily been 4-4 from that dolphin and bengals game, it's dissapointing how we are doing the calls on defense.

steelersbabex25
11-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Every time I read your post, I watch that Troy tackle about ten times. What a great play by him....love it.

:rofl: me too!

LarryNJ
11-12-2010, 07:23 AM
it's dissapointing how we are doing the calls on defense.

haha..All of Baltimore is blaming their defensive woes on their coordinator and calls. It's almost as bad as us and BA.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Wow really??? There is not a defense in the NFL that is not having a meltdown this year. The defenses are behind the 8 ball with how the NFL is cracking down, the parity in the league is more rampant than ever, offenses are more creative than ever. We're 6-2, the defense is making enough plays to win and the offense is getting alittle better each week.

Be thankful we are not the Bengals and stop complaining!

LatrobePA
11-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Who cares!

I'd rather have something to work on midseason while being 6-2 than have already peaked this time of year...

super cleats
11-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Wow really??? There is not a defense in the NFL that is not having a meltdown this year. The defenses are behind the 8 ball with how the NFL is cracking down, the parity in the league is more rampant than ever, offenses are more creative than ever. We're 6-2, the defense is making enough plays to win and the offense is getting alittle better each week.

im sorry but the giants defense is beasting it this year.

THEY KNOW HOW TO FINISH.

apart from the indianapolis game, they have been lights out.

nuclearchihuahuas
11-12-2010, 09:45 AM

:plus1::plus1::plus1:

Thank God, the voice of reason! I am not happy with the "prevent" D we seem to be employing in the 4th quarter either, I would much rather maintain an attack D until the final tick on the clock. But with all the penalties being called rather an actual foul occured or not (better to call the penalty on the field and apologize later according to Goodell) the D is choosing to avoid the situation. I don't like it but I do understand.

jnes1216
11-12-2010, 09:54 AM
im sorry but the giants defense is beasting it this year.

THEY KNOW HOW TO FINISH.

apart from the indianapolis game, they have been lights out.

They've beat Carolina, Chicago, Houston, Detroit, Dallas, and Seattle. No huge threats on offense there except Houston.

They lost to Tenn. and Indy.

Their defense should be "beasting it" against those six teams. They weren't beasting it when Chris Johnson put up 125 yds on them. Steelers defense gave him 34 yds. I think I know who's defense I would rather have.

DanRooney
11-12-2010, 10:32 AM
I honestly can't blame the D too much this year. They are still playing light years better than 2009 despite Tomlin and Arians have been putting them in very precarious spots with short fields to work with. Remember, 2 touchdowns against the Bengals came from a Hines Ward fumble and an interception by Ben. That last Bengal drive that was reminiscent of last year was caused by the paper towel pugilist missing an easy field goal. In the Saints game, a Heath Miller fumble resulted in another touchdown and a missed field goal before halftime gave the Saints 3 points and momentum when their offense was doing nothing. In the Dolphins game, the D was lucky to escape with only 6 points given up due to 2 fumbles at our 13 and 20.

When you have a world class D, we need to start pinning teams back inside the 10 so they have the whole field to work with. It gives them more opportunities for turnovers and will give us a short field if our D holds them to a couple or less first downs. We use to knock Cowher for the run, run, pass and punt mentality but he knew how to play field position.

Root4Stlrs
11-12-2010, 11:52 AM
They've beat Carolina, Chicago, Houston, Detroit, Dallas, and Seattle. No huge threats on offense there except Houston.

They lost to Tenn. and Indy.

Their defense should be "beasting it" against those six teams. They weren't beasting it when Chris Johnson put up 125 yds on them. Steelers defense gave him 34 yds. I think I know who's defense I would rather have.

Just thinking same thing. After this Dallas game, the Giants will be getting into the hard part of their schedule so will see how they hold up.

LatrobePA
11-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Giants suck, Eli is a goober!!

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-12-2010, 10:26 PM
we could of easily been 4-4 from that dolphin and bengals game, it's dissapointing how we are doing the calls on defense.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda, Man you just don't give up, I really don't know why you root for the STEELERS, makes no sense to me.
The Defense is the reason why we are 6-2,not the offense they are still a work in progress. No matter what this team does ,you still bitch about the Defense. Ya think that LeBeau doesn't know how to coach. They suck because they give up points. Is there anything you like about this team??

JensK
11-13-2010, 06:40 AM

If we look at it that way, we easily could of been 8-0 as well, or at least 7-1. Both game we lost came down to the wire...

DanRooney
11-13-2010, 07:18 AM
we could also be undefeated since our Super Bowl in 2008. The only game that we lost by more than 1 score since then was last week against the Saints.

Blazedby92
11-13-2010, 07:27 AM
we could also be undefeated since our Super Bowl in 2008. The only game that we lost by more than 1 score since then was last week against the Saints.

I'm gonna have to call BS until I look that up but if it's true WOOOOW!!!!!!

JensK
11-13-2010, 07:37 AM

Its actually true:

In our 09 season we lost with following numbers:

14–17

20–23

12–18

24–27 (OT)

17–20 (OT)

24–27

6–13

LarryNJ
11-13-2010, 08:39 AM

Its actually true:

14–17

20–23

12–18

24–27 (OT)

17–20 (OT)

24–27

6–13

That's very impressive...except in the case of who we lost too. Some of those teams we should have beaten by double digits. I'm still :cursin: from my weekend in KC that ended in a loss. :lol:

Root4Stlrs
11-13-2010, 09:51 PM
That's very impressive...except in the case of who we lost too. Some of those teams we should have beaten by double digits. I'm still :cursin: from my weekend in KC that ended in a loss. :lol:

I'm trying to get over New Orleans.

steelersbabex25
11-13-2010, 10:46 PM

Wow. That's a stat I have not heard before.

Blazedby92
11-14-2010, 12:37 AM
Its actually true:

14–17

20–23

12–18

24–27 (OT)

17–20 (OT)

24–27

6–13

That's freakin awsome!!!! Now there's a stat I like, If our O would ever explode Look Out

coach
11-14-2010, 05:22 PM
I think as Steeler fans we are hard on the team when they do anything less than dominate. But, as people have stated, those days are behind us and parity is here. Look at today's games.

Indy let Cinci back in it late. Indy held on for a six point win after being up big, but they gave up an on-side kick and a long pass (which was eventually fumbled and recovered by Indy). But that game looked a lot like ours last week.

Look at the Stains today. They fumbled the ball after moving into FG range in OT and then give up a TD with seconds left in OT. They should have won and lost.

About 60% of all NFL games now games end within 7 points and about 30% end within 3 points (or close to that). We are no different than any other team. The games are close and a win is a win.

I was pretty upset last week, but the more I thought about it, the less upset I got. Maybe they use the lessons from last week's win to win this week and we will get the get the best of both worlds.

Whether you are a Steeler fan or an NFL fan, you are going to need to get used to the last minute drama most weeks (Jags defeat favoured Texans today too on a hail mary).

Let's Go Steelers.

super cleats
11-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Woulda, shoulda, coulda, Man you just don't give up, I really don't know why you root for the STEELERS, makes no sense to me.
The Defense is the reason why we are 6-2,not the offense they are still a work in progress. No matter what this team does ,you still bitch about the Defense. Ya think that LeBeau doesn't know how to coach. They suck because they give up points. Is there anything you like about this team??

it's called seeing through the black and gold glasses...

but i forgot we ALWAYS have a chance to go 16-0 each season. I'm just a very unbias fan, you should try doing it too :yellowthumb: