PDA

View Full Version : Cowher to make decision shortly after season's end

AZ_Steeler
12-14-2006, 12:01 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2696865&campaign=rsssrch&source=pittsburgh+steelers)

Amid mounting speculation that he will step aside after a 15th campaign with the Pittsburgh Steelers, head coach Bill Cowher acknowledged Wednesday that a decision on his future plans must be made shortly after the conclusion of this season.

"There will be something at the end of the year," Cowher said. "I'll sit back and put a lot of thought into it and make a decision accordingly. Right now, my focus is purely on trying to find a way to win these last three games and see where that takes us."

He will not, Cowher said, keep Steelers ownership waiting too long for a decision.

Cowher's remarks, among the broadest he has articulated in addressing his future, were made during a Wednesday conference call with Charlotte, N.C.-area reporters. The Steelers face the Carolina Panthers in Charlotte on Sunday, and the conference call was part of the standard NFL protocol for pregame coverage.

There has been widespread speculation, since it was revealed in March that Cowher had purchased a $2.5 million home in Raleigh, N.C., that he might retire after the 2006 season. Cowher's wife, Kaye, and the couple's youngest daughter have moved permanently into the home. Cowher has visited them in Raleigh several times during the season.

The topic of his future has been revisited numerous times during the season, and Cowher has mostly responded by saying that his focus for now is on his football team. In the last few seasons, Cowher has said that he now reviews his coaching career a year at a time, revisiting it at the end of each campaign.

Cowher, 49, is under contract through the 2007 season.

Steelers officials have typically extended Cowher's contract when it had two years remaining. There were extension discussions earlier this year but, unlike past springs, they did not culminate in a new deal for Cowher, who has coached the Steelers since 1992. It is likely the subject of an extension will again be broached after this season, but not even high-ranking team officials seem to have a good feel about which way Cowher is leaning.

Some close to the organization have suggested that Cowher has not demonstrated the same passion for his job this year as he did in previous seasons. The Steelers, who won Super Bowl XL only about 10 months ago, are 6-7 with three games remaining and at best a long shot for a wild-card spot.

When it was originally reported that Cowher had purchased the house in Raleigh, some felt that he might want to coach at North Carolina State, his alma mater. But the school, which fired Chuck Amato after a disappointing season, last week hired Boston College's Tom O'Brien as its new coach.

There has also been speculation that Cowher, who is believed to earn about $4 million per year, might take a year off, do some broadcasting and then return to the sideline with a franchise that would pay him more in line with the spiraling salaries in the league. But because he is under contract for another season and his contract will essentially be frozen, Cowher would not be free to sign on with another NFL team.

Cowher did tell the Carolina reporters that he planned to make his home in Raleigh. Asked if the results of this season will have a bearing on the decision about his future, Cowher said they will not.

"It won't be a knee-jerk reaction," Cowher said. "It will be something that is well thought-out."

Counting the playoffs, Cowher has compiled a 159-98-1 record since succeeding Hall of Fame coach Chuck Noll in 1992. He has led the Steelers to eight division championships, 10 playoff berths, six AFC title games and two Super Bowl appearances.
Well, it sounds like we should know his plans sooner than later!

House of Steel
12-14-2006, 12:04 AM
Now this is making me a little leary right now. My heart is saying I wish he could continue coaching for the Steelers.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-14-2006, 12:05 AM
To quote his predecessor.. If you're thinking about retirement, then you've already decided.

We'll see, it'll be interesting to say the least. Just an interesting FYI for everyone. My boss at work happens to be BC's cousin, from what I heard from her as far as family rumors go (she can only say so much of course) is that he's seriously considering retirement but nothing is set in stone yet.

House of Steel
12-14-2006, 12:07 AM
Hey can she get us to have a guest chat here on SA with Bill Cowher? Maybe we can plead for him to stay a few more years.

AZ_Steeler
12-14-2006, 12:49 AM
I personally don't want a coach that is contemplating retiring because then their not in the game and don't really care :dunno:

Steelersfan
12-14-2006, 12:56 AM
I personally don't want a coach that is contemplating retiring because then their not in the game and don't really care :dunno:

I agree with that AZ! Move on if your not %100 comitted to the team.

Koopa
12-14-2006, 01:01 AM
his kids ain't getting any younger, and he's losing all that valuable time to spend time with his kids.....his family should come first, and it's time for him to start thinking of them lol

Steelersfan
12-14-2006, 01:02 AM
Well that's the nicest Cowher post I have ever seen you make koopa!.....lol

House of Steel
12-14-2006, 01:13 AM
Koopa??? What the hell you smoking and drinking tonight??? I mean DAYUMMMMMMMMMM a nice post out of you. STOP THE PRESS!!!!

Koopa
12-14-2006, 01:40 AM
it's not a nice post, it's me being sarcastic.....

Steelersfan
12-14-2006, 01:44 AM
it's not a nice post, it's me being sarcastic.....

And it's me being sarcastic back. :lol:

Koopa
12-14-2006, 01:47 AM
And it's me being sarcastic back. :lol:

i know, i was gonna put sf was the only one to pick up on it but i wanted to be nice to HoS lol

Steelersfan
12-14-2006, 01:52 AM
Say what! You being nice twice in the same thread?.....lmao!

House of Steel
12-14-2006, 10:58 AM
I think someone knocked the hell out of him playing Racquetball that he is on his nice side. Hey Koopa, I am just pulling your leg. You have every reason for your opinion. I am being leery on this one. I am not counting on anything just yet.