PDA

View Full Version : Starks could be done for the year..Update 11/10 - Goes on IR

BlitzburghRockCity
11-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Just reading on the PG and got a tweet that Starks has a disc injury that could require surgery. At this point it's up in the air who will start at LT, or how long for sure Max will be out.

They are reluctant to move FLozell to LT because he's a converted RT and doing well over there. Having to relearn LT might do more harm than good.

Tuesday, November 09, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Steelers tackle Max Starks has a serious neck injury involving a disc and may not play again this season.
Starks was consulting with doctors late today to determine if the injury required surgery, or if it would heal over time without surgery using physical therapy instead, a source close to Starks told the Post-Gazette.
The source emphasized that the injury does not threaten Starks career.
Starks, the Steelers starting left tackle, left Monday night's game in Cincinnati with what coach Mike Tomlin described as "stingers" in his neck. He returned to play but then left the game for good. Tomlin again described Starks' injury as a "stinger" at his press conference today.
But an MRI later showed it to be a more serious injury of a disc in the upper verterbrae or neck area.
Starks, 28, is in his seventh season with the Steelers. He has started the past three seasons at left tackle and also started two seasons at right tackle.
The Steelers lost their starting right tackle, Willie Colon, to an injury in June.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10313/1101965-100.stm#ixzz14pYDaWWx

Troyisabeast_43
11-09-2010, 06:46 PM
This is definitely a huge setback but as bad as Johnathen Scott has looked when he has come in for whoever he spells I wouldnt mind seeing them move Adams to right tackle. At this point looks like Legursky could be an option as well to move over or they are just going to go with Scott or Hills...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Flozell is a natural LT, he did it all those years in Dallas but without Colon and a viable option to fill his void, they have some decisions to make. Legursky can play Guard or Center but he's not built for a Tackle position IMO. Scott has gotten owned every time he's played this year; now if he has to go up against the Pats and Belichick's defense it will be even more difficult.

Goodfrom55
11-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Time for Tony Hills to sink or swim? He had a good camp and played well in spot instances Vs Tennessee. Sucks about Starks, but the team has to move forward.

Troyisabeast_43
11-09-2010, 07:08 PM
They have used Trai Essex as well at Left Tackle in some instances so he would be an option as well. Im guessing it will either be Scott,Hills,or Essex at left tackle and that they will not move Flozell Adams off the right tackle spot at this point although I think they should do it because it's their best option at this point...

K Train
11-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Flozell is a natural LT, he did it all those years in Dallas but without Colon and a viable option to fill his void, they have some decisions to make. Legursky can play Guard or Center but he's not built for a Tackle position IMO. Scott has gotten owned every time he's played this year; now if he has to go up against the Pats and Belichick's defense it will be even more difficult.

flo is a MUCH more natural RT, hes a crushing run blocker and deaf in his right ear...he was out of position in dallas.

id like to see hills get a chance....but a much more realistic line is going to be

essex, kemo, pouncey, legs/foster, flo

Goodfrom55
11-09-2010, 07:10 PM
The less they move people around the better. "Assuming" Kemo plays this week, my line is Scott/Hills, Kemo, Mo, Trai, Flo.

Troyisabeast_43
11-09-2010, 07:22 PM
flo is a MUCH more natural RT, hes a crushing run blocker and deaf in his right ear...he was out of position in dallas.

id like to see hills get a chance....but a much more realistic line is going to be

essex, kemo, pouncey, legs/foster, flo

I agree with this combo right here since they probably will not move Adams to left tackle Id go with Essex at left tackle and start Ramon Foster at right guard...

DanRooney
11-09-2010, 08:54 PM
So I'm guessing we pick up another offensive lineman this week for the price of Antonio Brown

LatrobePA
11-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Let's hope they aren't that stupid.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-09-2010, 11:44 PM
I'd rather see Essex at LT also and Foster at RG I hope the line consist of Essex,Kemo,Pouncey,Foster,Adams as well...

andyg1984
11-09-2010, 11:52 PM
we really hit the jackpot with all of these marginally effective "versatile" OL .. now essex will just get beat on the outside instead

K Train
11-10-2010, 02:44 AM
essex is a ****** guard (not too bad with pouncey and flo on each side) but hes a serviceable LT, hes a 330 pound finesse player, he was never cut out for guard or even right tackle....i think he'll do fine i hope thats the route they take

jnes1216
11-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Starks put on IR list. Rookie Scott activated.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Starks-placed-on-IR-Scott-activated/91e0a6d0-f6c7-47cb-afb3-e3a8090449a8

coldrolled
11-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Steelers Place T Max Starks on IR
The Pittsburgh Steelers announced that left tackle Max Starks has been placed on injured reserve with a neck injury.

2010 fifth-round offensive tackle Chris Scott has been activated off the physically unable to perform list to replace Starks on the 53-man roster.

Starks (6-8, 345) has started 68 of 95 career games since being chosen in the 3rd round of the 2004 NFL Draft out of the University of Florida. Starks' neck injury involves a disc in the upper back/neck area, but it is not believed to be a career-threatening injury.

Starks joins right tackle Willie Colon on injured reserve. Colon was placed on IR after injuring his Achilles' tendon during the OTAs.

With Starks out, Jonathan Scott is expected to start at left tackle.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Man I'm telling ya this worries me in the worst way. If Kemo comes back this weekend as expected then that will definitely help but Scott was a turnstyle when he played this year. They are going to have to keep a TE on his side or have someone as a sidecare to Ben to help block if things don't change.

coldrolled
11-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Arians will adjust his game plan for this... no worries..

BlitzburghRockCity
11-10-2010, 11:03 AM
The Steelers are once again paying for their lack of attention to the Tackle position. Had it not been for Flozell just hanging out in free agency this offseason we would have really screwed. I hope this is finally the wake up call that Colbert and Tomlin need to get this team in gear and get us some solid backup Tackles. We're ok at Guard for now between Kemo, Essex, Legursky and Foster, but my God get us some more Tackles.

I know we have other holes to fill on defense especially because we are getting older on that unit but my goodness!

coldrolled
11-10-2010, 11:14 AM
We might have to spend money on a Free Agent Tackle and Cornerback... in Spring.

We dont have three years for training time at these positions if we are picking at 28-32 again this spring.

igor0190
11-10-2010, 11:14 AM

:lol: Joke of the day...

Man, this is not good... I think we'll be ok. But we cannot afford to have many more injuries this year if we want to get to the big show.

cmerrifield
11-10-2010, 11:25 AM
We might have to spend money on a Free Agent Tackle and Cornerback... in Spring.

We dont have three years for training time at these positions if we are picking at 28-32 again this spring.

I am not sure Tackle, it depends on Colon, I would like them to resign Colon and play him at Guard, but he could be the back-up tackle or let him play tackle and let Flo be the backup, either way I think we would be ok next year. And just curious, is it our CB's getting old, or do you not think Gay, McFadden and Taylor are good enough?

BLACKnGOLD58
11-10-2010, 01:07 PM

:haha:

andyg1984
11-10-2010, 07:23 PM

yeah, seems like sometimes you can almost be a victim of your own success .. that LT position is one we never seem to pick high enough for (or have the stones to trade up for)

LatrobePA
11-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Here's our new o-line:

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

ejsteeler
11-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Here's our new o-line:

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

That's not completely terrible......we'll just have to wait and see. We know the patty's will be up for this game after the clowns embarrassed them, if our boys show up with the right attitude, we can knock them down a couple pegs. :cope: