PDA

View Full Version : Fullback still an issue for the Steelers

steelchamp204
11-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Ok, mendy is getting the job done, but we still dont have a fb to lead the way, Johnson has been bad leading mendy and Miller should be fbin for mendy. I loved when we brought legursky in lastnight for the goaline run. But for every good running back there has to be a good fb. Where can we find the answer for this? Especially when we bring in our heavy run package, everyone knows we are coming with the run, but how bout getting a true fullback with a wr set sometime to show something different. It just worries me when we are trying to pound the ball that noone can really step up to lead the way for mendenhall.

**edited thread title to reflect topic of thread, for better search results** BRC

K Train
11-09-2010, 02:08 PM
david johnson is a monster, redman not so much

coldrolled
11-09-2010, 02:20 PM
david johnson is a monster, redman not so much

he misses his blocks.... alot... when he hits though.. it is hard... he is a TE..

next year we will have a new OC and a real FB.

and actual plays that work well with a real FB that has hands...

redman is not a FB...

harpo
11-09-2010, 02:26 PM
he misses his blocks.... alot... when he hits though.. it is hard... he is a TE..

next year we will have a new OC and a real FB.

and actual plays that work well with a real FB that has hands...

redman is not a FB...

Yep, and he definitely missed a lot of blocks last night.

jnes1216
11-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Pittsburgh will need to determine their identity a little more if they want to get serious about a fullback imo. There won't be a true fb with Arians, he likes the tweeners who can play te, fb, etc. If Arians is gone after this year:crossfingers: the next OC will probably be more apt to develope the ground attack as that is the direction the FO wants to go. Then they can use a roster spot on a true fb. With BA, he wants the flexibility of having a player being used at te and fb or wherever.

coldrolled
11-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Pittsburgh will need to determine their identity a little more if they want to get serious about a fullback imo. There won't be a true fb with Arians, he likes the tweeners who can play te, fb, etc. If Arians is gone after this year:crossfingers: the next OC will probably be more apt to develope the ground attack as that is the direction the FO wants to go. Then they can use a roster spot on a true fb. With BA, he wants the flexibility of having a player being used at te and fb or wherever.

your :plus1: on this....

the arians flexibilty thing makes me laugh a bit... he needs these flexible guys for all his flexible play calling... :eek1:

try the flexible bubble screen game after game to ward.. with no blockers at all.. that will work.. eventually.. :banging:

then he calls his dumb *** plays over and over, but he wont let the rookies play a little bit, they might make a mistake... :thinking:

Zachintosh66
11-09-2010, 02:47 PM
We dont need a FB when you have 17 Special Teams Aces!

JensK
11-09-2010, 03:39 PM
We dont need a FB when you have 17 Special Teams Aces!

We do play some pretty impressive ST at the moment though!

coldrolled
11-09-2010, 04:07 PM
We do play some pretty impressive ST at the moment though!

Gay had his moment with the Blocked Punt, a few sacks and hurries on some blitzes the past few games.. he comes in fast. give him that...

SteelersWoman
11-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Yeah, did anybody see John Kuhn's game Sunday with the Pack? A fullback who does it fulltime (and does it well) is indispensable.

DanRooney
11-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Those RB screens worked all night. Use them more Arians. (see Ray Rice vs. the Dolphins)

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-09-2010, 06:34 PM
How can we be having a problem with full back,when there isn't one in Arians playbook?? :lol:

Root4Stlrs
11-09-2010, 10:27 PM
your :plus1: on this....

the arians flexibilty thing makes me laugh a bit... he needs these flexible guys for all his flexible play calling... :eek1: try the flexible bubble screen game after game to ward.. with no blockers at all.. that will work.. eventually.. :banging:

then he calls his dumb *** plays over and over, but he wont let the rookies play a little bit, they might make a mistake... :thinking:

:plus1: Hilarious

andyg1984
11-10-2010, 12:58 AM
i think it is almost impossible to "need" FB's in general when so many players can conceivably play it on the team and with david johnson doing well i can't see it as a problem

GoBenGo
11-10-2010, 01:11 AM
Mendy seems more effective from a single back set..IMHO ..don't know if he is just doing the best with what he has to work with or what,but...someone badass like Owen Schmitt would be a nice add...or getting Kuhn back....a good pulling lineman makes up for , enhances, and sometimes replaces, the fullback leading thru the hole or kicking out..
I'd give it all for a few healthy o-liners right now tho....

coldrolled
11-10-2010, 07:09 AM
Mendy seems more effective from a single back set..IMHO ..don't know if he is just doing the best with what he has to work with or what,but...someone badass like Owen Schmitt would be a nice add...or getting Kuhn back....a good pulling lineman makes up for , enhances, and sometimes replaces, the fullback leading thru the hole or kicking out..
I'd give it all for a few healthy o-liners right now tho....

we dont need a fb like kuhn, we might score 35+ points a game with a solid game plan intacted and a FB.. and real passing plays... called by an OC with an offense that lost a handful of key players... and still has the offense score by adjusting his own weaknesses... who is the packers OC? does he have a brother?

SteelerDan43
11-10-2010, 07:31 AM
Can we hold out for Hynoski? He can catch the ball as well so Arians should love him...

harpo
11-10-2010, 10:17 AM
....and FB will continue to be an issue, as long as Bruce Arians is the Offensive Coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers. :banging: