PDA

View Full Version : Steelers defense still really top 5?

super cleats
11-07-2010, 03:38 PM
In No particular order, NY Giants, Jets, Chargers, Ravens defenses are all better than ours.

How is it that THE BROWNS defense can school both the Saints and Patriots.

Also... I think Ed Reed is better than Troy Polamalu, he's definitley made that defense very good again.

Perry fewell is turning into a great defensive co-ordinator, he made the Bills pass defense solid last year and he's making the Giants defense very agressive this season.

Top 5 D-Cords in the NFL.

1. Monte Kiffin when he comes back to the NFL hopefully some day.
2. Rob Ryan
3. Perry Fewell
4. Rex Ryan
5. Dick Lebeau

There is something wrong with our secondary, by all means imo the 2008 year our pass defense was a fluke, it was a magical year like the Saints had in 2009 with their team, they just made it happen.

I don't understand why Lebeau doesn't change up, it seems everyone knows where to attack, he doesn't make adjustments.

Read and Flame, I'm obviously going to get flamed for my LeBeau comments, but honestly take your gold and black glasses of and see that there is something wrong with our defense, the secondary is making it bad, I like Ryan, but he's the main culprit.

New First round safety next year's draft please, if we don't get a coverage/ballhawk safety, we won't go back to another super bowl, evident from the offensive beating the Saints layed on us, and prepare for further beatings by the Bengals and especially the Patriots.

**edited thread title for better search results - BRC**

JensK
11-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Our defense have not been the problem, period. Certainly, it has it weaknesses in the secondary, but all defenses does. The big problem is that we have problems putting points on the board. We have not let a team score more than 22 points against us. The problem is that we are having a hard time putting up points against good defenses.

The whole Reed > Polamalu discussion (and the other way around i guess) are rather old, as they hardly compare as players other than both are playing safety.

UKSTEELER
11-07-2010, 03:50 PM
The offense is the problem.

super cleats
11-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Our defense have not been the problem, period. Certainly, it has it weaknesses in the secondary, but all defenses does. The big problem is that we have problems putting points on the board. We have not let a team score more than 22 points against us. The problem is that we are having a hard time putting up points against good defenses.

The whole Reed > Polamalu discussion (and the other way around i guess) are rather old, as they hardly compare as players other than both are playing safety.

if patriots blow by us, it's going to be hard to keep up in the playoffs

the colts, the chargers, the ravens maybe , the patriots... they're all good offense, they will make our secondary look like pop warner...

offense is always going to be a problem with bruce arians, with a good OC it's all good, defense is bad with either lebeau making the calls and not making adjustments or it's a player like ryan clark that makes everyone else bad.

Zachintosh66
11-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Ravens arent all that... gimmie a break

SD, NYG, NO, NYJ, CHI, PIT are the top Def in the league. No one is blowing the doors off this year. Seems like one of the top teams D's rotates a bad week in here and there. Hopefully ours was last week...

LatrobePA
11-07-2010, 06:04 PM
The offense is the problem.

But Bens back, we shouldn't have to worry...YEA RIGHT, we still have BA!!

JensK
11-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Ravens arent all that... gimmie a break

SD, NYG, NO, NYJ, CHI, PIT are the top Def in the league. No one is blowing the doors off this year. Seems like one of the top teams D's rotates a bad week in here and there. Hopefully ours was last week...

The Ravens defense looked suspect today. They can be run on, if you are a little creative. Those misdirection runs are almost always good gainers against them. Reed have made their secondary a whole lot better, but it can still be thrown on without too much trouble. Offensive, Boldin is lifting them a lot. I have no idea why they don't use Rice like they did last year, but they don't. I am more scared of Giants and Jets than Ravens. With that being said, Ravens is a darn good football team, so we should not take them lightly.

LatrobePA
11-07-2010, 06:37 PM
The Ravens beat the Phins soundly, we needed a fishy call to win...I say there are a lot of teams real real close this year...Not one great one per say!!

JensK
11-07-2010, 06:42 PM
The Ravens beat the Phins soundly, we needed a fishy call to win...I say there are a lot of teams real real close this year...Not one great one per say!!

We played them in Miami, Ravens had them in Baltimore. We had a rusty QB, Ravens have (statistically) the best QB in the league after week 4. With that being said, you are oh so correct, that we need to step up our game if we want to beat Ravens in Baltimore when that time come. Same with the next two games as well!

GoBenGo
11-07-2010, 06:45 PM
The Ravens beat the Phins soundly, we needed a fishy call to win...I say there are a lot of teams real real close this year...Not one great one per say!!Dolphins could have one this one too, a play here, a play there, dropped pic six, couple pass drops, ravens d looked pretty porous most of the game,...
Loozas gonna looz.....
See bills, lions, cards, c-hawks....:yesnod:

Us? :helmet: I like our chances...talent, coaching, experience, and badass uniforms...:cope:

JensK
11-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Us? :helmet: I like our chances...talent, coaching, experience, and badass uniforms...:cope:

Thought that we all agreed that our coaching sucked for the most part? :thinking:

super cleats
11-07-2010, 07:04 PM
The Giants defense looks great, this is how we should of finished the Buccaneers and Browns.

The Giants will have the best defense going into the post season, meanwhile, we will probably be ranked 6th or 7th by the end of tommorow night, I can't believe the PANTHERS, the Kittens have a better defense than us right now allowing yards, but after the Saints today they are like 20th lol.

GoBenGo
11-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Thought that we all agreed that our coaching sucked for the most part? :thinking:...lessee lebeau is a hof'er, tomlins record speaks for itself, granted Arians blows and I believe " we all agree " on that...
I think we have a pretty good staff overall..but then again I'm only a fan...no expert by far...:imho:

coldrolled
11-07-2010, 09:54 PM
you start to realize as you watch GB kill dallas, Matthews is a beast of a ILB.,. Farrior needs to go, he is not even close to this caliber... bring on the young guns sooner...

hate to say it but we are loving our old players to long...

mwittman5
11-07-2010, 10:26 PM
the Ravens D is so good with reed that they gave up 34 pts to buffalo. ranked 17th against the run too :evilshake:

jpele
11-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Just my two cents. I'd much rather give up 300 yards and 10 points a game instead of 100 yards and 21 points.

Stats are nothing more than numbers .

For what it's worth,our defense would have better numbers if coaches would blitz instead of going with the 3 and 4 man rushes. The 3 man rush made McCoy look like a veteran QB

jtferg4
11-07-2010, 10:42 PM
I would agree that the biggest problem with our defense is our secondary but i would still consider us in the top five defenses. No one has been able to run the ball at all against us and thats part of the reason as to why we see more mistakes in the secondary. When teams cant run they rely on the pass giving our opponants more chances to challenge our secondary. Besides the defense we havent been able to get a true rythem going on offense. Since the return of Ben we have been signifigantly better but until he gets fully acklamated with the offense and can get timing down with the recievers better we will continue to see moderate offensive game. And Palamalu is better than Reed.

igor0190
11-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Dolphins could have one this one too, a play here, a play there, dropped pic six, couple pass drops, ravens d looked pretty porous most of the game,...

:plus1:

Bang on... Dropped pick six, couple bad dropped passes (3rd down conversions). The Phins were in that game and coulda easily won it.

Real Deal Steel
11-07-2010, 11:47 PM
First off, If the Ravens are so good, then why do they keep benching Fabian Washington??

When everything is said and done, our defense will be top 5 as usual. When the offense steps it up, it will make the other teams offense have to step it up which will allow us to cut loose defensively on their QB. No worries.

coldrolled
11-08-2010, 07:08 AM
First off, If the Ravens are so good, then why do they keep benching Fabian Washington??

When everything is said and done, our defense will be top 5 as usual. When the offense steps it up, it will make the other teams offense have to step it up which will allow us to cut loose defensively on their QB. No worries.

Correct... our offense needs to score a lot more and our old defensive players who never seem to get a break wont be as tired by the middle of the 3rd and 4th qtr.. our defense holds strong with our crappy offense for almost three solid qtrs... we need to score early and sustain drives.. 2009 style play is creeping back because our 2009 offense is currently playing on the field... :imho:

GoBenGo
11-08-2010, 10:48 AM
And Palamalu is better than Reed.:plus1:
Agreed

xxxsteelernation
11-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Considering how much time they were on the feild with all the 3 and outs or offense did we did a fairly decent job, Just hope the O shows up against the bengals tonight

super cleats
11-08-2010, 01:17 PM
I would agree that the biggest problem with our defense is our secondary but i would still consider us in the top five defenses. No one has been able to run the ball at all against us and thats part of the reason as to why we see more mistakes in the secondary. When teams cant run they rely on the pass giving our opponants more chances to challenge our secondary. Besides the defense we havent been able to get a true rythem going on offense. Since the return of Ben we have been signifigantly better but until he gets fully acklamated with the offense and can get timing down with the recievers better we will continue to see moderate offensive game. And Palamalu is better than Reed.

ed reed is better than polamalu, if ed reed had been on our defense, it would of been so good, polamalu might be the better tackler, but Ed Reed just has ballhawking skills i have never seen before.

i prefer the free safety position to the strong safety position, so i generally regard as ed is the best in the game, i would make a case than when darren sharper is on form, he too is better than polamalu, don't forget a younger dawkins.

SteelCityKid5
11-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Yeah we suck.. Im giving up on the season... were pathetically 5-2

JensK
11-08-2010, 01:53 PM
ed reed is better than polamalu, if ed reed had been on our defense, it would of been so good, polamalu might be the better tackler, but Ed Reed just has ballhawking skills i have never seen before.

i prefer the free safety position to the strong safety position, so i generally regard as ed is the best in the game, i would make a case than when darren sharper is on form, he too is better than polamalu, don't forget a younger dawkins.

Again, they don't play same position, and they are not really the same kind of player, so they hardly compare.

GoBenGo
11-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Again, they don't play same position, and they are not really the same kind of player, so they hardly compare.
Very good point:yellowthumb:

LatrobePA
11-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Sped Reed sucks! lol

super cleats
11-08-2010, 02:18 PM

that's just homer talk.

ed reed played strong safety in his first 2 years and managed a lot of interceptions and tackles.

ed reed > polamalu.

Ed Reed's 2004 season, in which he played a mixture of fs and ss was just much better than any other polamalu season.

i'll just be flamed with homer talk, but some of you need to take your black and gold glasses off.

JensK
11-08-2010, 02:35 PM
that's just homer talk.

ed reed played strong safety in his first 2 years and managed a lot of interceptions and tackles.

ed reed > polamalu.

Ed Reed's 2004 season, in which he played a mixture of fs and ss was just much better than any other polamalu season.

i'll just be flamed with homer talk, but some of you need to take your black and gold glasses off.

And what is ed reed > polamalu? It is not exactly very persuasive talk, thats for sure. Polamalu have plenty of interceptions as well. It is not Homer talk, but a fact. Players playing different positions are hard to compare. You could even claim that two players playing same position in different systems are hard to compare.

Also, through our SB year in 08, Polamalu played some of the best football from a safety you'll ever see. 7 Interceptions, tons of mad plays etc. Certainly, you can make a case that Reeds 04 year was great as well, but in the end, Polamalu won a SB, and was one of the big factors we made it that far.

I am not saying that Reed is a bad safety, nor do i claim that he is not a better safety than Reed, but i am claiming that they don't really compare as players. They play so differently, in different systems, generally at different positions etc etc.

DanRooney
11-08-2010, 03:06 PM
34 points against the Bills.

coldrolled
11-08-2010, 03:16 PM

bend dont break...:grin1:

Goodfrom55
11-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Rankings mean sh*t. . .really. Biggest reasons why teams move the ball on the Steelers is the CB's pay too far off the WR's on 1st and 2nd downs. Take that away and force QB's to read the defense - different story.

If the Steelers Defense is last in the league, that's OK - as long the W's keep piling up.

super cleats
11-08-2010, 07:05 PM

27 points against the Chiefs.