PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst Offenses and Defenses: Steelers Rush D #1

E. Hartman
11-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Those that follow our reports know that we enter in every play for every team and use this information to determine strengths and weaknesses for teams. We break the field into three sections the left, middle, and right sides of the field. The performance in these areas helps us figure out how balanced a team is.

The Steelers are ranked #1 on our balanced rush defense. They are also number 9 on the rush offense.

Complete story and rankings at http://www.armchairreport.com/2010/11/04/worst-offenses-defenses-week-9/

LatrobePA
11-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Because we have a 25th ranked pass defense, why even try to run on us when you can pass all over the place???

BlitzburghRockCity
11-05-2010, 02:12 PM
That's the logic that the Saints used; they knew they couldn't run us so they didn't bother in the second half. They exploited our known vulnerability and were successful at it.

Root4Stlrs
11-05-2010, 02:23 PM
That's the logic that the Saints used; they knew they couldn't run us so they didn't bother in the second half. They exploited our known vulnerability and were successful at it.

Can you help me understand why we are so vulnerable to the pass? Am I wrong or has our defense been pretty vanilla so far this year? Why do they continue with the 10 yard cushion for the wideouts even when that isn't working?

LatrobePA
11-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Can you help me understand why we are so vulnerable to the pass? Am I wrong or has our defense been pretty vanilla so far this year? Why do they continue with the 10 yard cushion for the wideouts even when that isn't working?

Very good question!!

Our D is a west coast offensive teams wet dream!!

steelersbabex25
11-05-2010, 02:35 PM

:dunno: They've been making no adjustments at all.

Root4Stlrs
11-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Very good question!!

Our D is a west coast offensive teams wet dream!!

Yes it's so frustrating. Time and again (at least it seemed that way) during the 2nd half we had the Saints in 3rd and whatever (I couldn't tell b/c I needed binoculars just to see the scoreboard or the sticks) and they completed a pass. They have the philosophy, I guess, of not letting the receiver run by you and score a TD, but what difference does it make if you let them dink and dunk down the field and score a TD anyway? They also seem to focus more on tackling the receiver than on going for and knocking down the ball.

igor0190
11-05-2010, 02:53 PM
If BA wasn't so inept, maybe our offense could get a lead for our defense for once!

We should run more Nickel packages with an extra DB in the game, with Ziggy and Worilds as DL. Woodley, Harrison rushing and running stunts with the DL. Send the NB (Willie Gay) and/or Timmons on the blitz. Get the athletes on the field. Cause some havoc.

I'm sure Lebeau has a much better idea than i do however :lol:
But I would like to see some more aggressive D

K Train
11-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Because we have a 25th ranked pass defense, why even try to run on us when you can pass all over the place???

its more like why bother trying to run when you cant....so they pass

Goodfrom55
11-05-2010, 03:45 PM
With LeBeau's style of defense, he stresses nothing gets behind you. Unfortunately, that is one of the reasons why the CB's play 10 yards off the WR's, but this causes those punch and judy passes to occur for 4 and 5 yard gains. Would like to see the CB's "bait" palmer into thinking he can throw a hitch pass and just before the snap, the CB's creep up to about 4 yards off.

Outside of a long pass by flacco and a long pass on a coverage error, Steelers haven't given up a lot of long plays. BUT you suffer because of the the short stuff down the field.

coldrolled
11-07-2010, 08:30 AM
If BA wasn't so inept, maybe our offense could get a lead for our defense for once!

We should run more Nickel packages with an extra DB in the game, with Ziggy and Worilds as DL. Woodley, Harrison rushing and running stunts with the DL. Send the NB (Willie Gay) and/or Timmons on the blitz. Get the athletes on the field. Cause some havoc.

I'm sure Lebeau has a much better idea than i do however :lol:
But I would like to see some more aggressive D

woodley should have a good day against Cincinnati Bengals right tackle Andre Smith..
Our best against their bust.

The Bengals drafted Smith No. 6 overall and gave him a $42 million contract to thrive in division games like this. Will Smith step up or is he a bust?

nuclearchihuahuas
11-07-2010, 09:23 AM
What is going to be more fun is the Bungals pass D is ranked 19th and their run D is ranked 23rd. I think (and hope) Mendy has a huge day and Ben and the passing offense work out a few kinks before next week. I know Cinci usually steps up in home Monday night games and this is a division opponent, but unless this turns out to be a trap game - which I find difficult to believe after a loss - this should be a good night for us. :tt02: