PDA

View Full Version : Troy calls out the NFL - Goodell has too much power

BlitzburghRockCity
11-03-2010, 03:40 PM
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/106123-ed-troy-calls-out-nfl

Wednesday, 03 November 2010 14:27
Written by Ed Bouchette
(http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=aHR0cHM6Ly9wbHVzLnNpdGVzLnBvc3QtZ2F6ZXR0ZS5jb 20vaW5kZXgucGhwL3Nwb3J0cy10b3duL3N0ZWVsZXJzLzEwNjE yMy1lZC10cm95LWNhbGxzLW91dC1uZmw%3D)

James Harrison was not immediately available today to speak about his trip to New York to meet with the NFL commissioner, but Troy Polamalu had a few things to say.
Polamalu, the Steelers’ five-time safety, charged that commissioner Roger Goodell has too much power and said paranoia is rampant around the league since the NFL crackdown on certain hits by defenders.

“It’s football, you know. If people want to watch soccer then they can watch soccer,’’ Polamalu said during a lunchtime interview. “But, honestly, overseas when people are attracted to this game, they’re going to see the big hits, they’re not going to care about touchdowns and different things. So you’re also taking apart what attracts people to this game.”

Polamalu said he would not have wanted to have a meeting with Goodell to air his opinions, the way the commissioner gave Harrison a chance to do on Tuesday.
“Sometimes I think it just falls on deaf ears,’’ Polamalu said. “I think a lot of players have said a lot of things and I guarantee you he heard everything everybody said.
“But, you know, he’s got all the power; that may be part of the problem, that there needs to be some type of separation of power like our government. There should be some type of players involved in decisions over how much people should be fined or what they should be fined for, as well as coaches, as well as front office people.
“I don’t think it should be just totally based on what two or three people may say who are totally away from the game. I think it should be some of the players who are currently playing.”

Asked if he thought officials were “paranoid” about calling penalties since the crackdown began two weeks ago, Polamalu said he was not sure.
“I don’t know about the referees’ decisions to maybe need to throw a flag but there is definitely a paranoia that is unneeded. Just because we had that weekend a few weekends ago which there were, I think somebody said, five hits out of 1,000. Yeah, I think there is too much paranoia.”

Polamalu obviously does not agree with the NFL’s crackdown.
“Do players need more protection? I don’t know. I think in certain instances, yeah, but I don’t think you can just completely make every type of hit obsolete, from horse collar tackling to whatever kind of tackling it is. You just can’t control some of these factors.

“Like James’ big problem was, If I’m aiming for his chest and he lowers his head, that shouldn’t be a fineable hit.”

Polamalu, echoing Steelers coach Mike Tomlin’s sentiments a few weeks ago, said there is no confusion among the players as to what the NFL wants.

“No, I don’t think there’s any confusion. I just think the problem is that they’re wrong.”

Troy nails this one right on the head! Where are the checks and balances in the NFL? If Goodell wants to do it
all he has to do is say the word and his cohorts will back him up. It's obvious he certainly
doesn't listen to player reps or care what they think or we wouldn't have all these stupid,
blown out of proportion new crack downs on hits.

LarryNJ
11-03-2010, 03:46 PM
“No, I don’t think there’s any confusion. I just think the problem is that they’re wrong.”

That says it all.

igor0190
11-03-2010, 03:59 PM
"No, I don’t think there’s any confusion. I just think the problem is that they’re wrong.”

BEAUTIFUL :banana:!
I love hearing the players speak out!

Steel Trap86
11-03-2010, 04:11 PM
"Sometimes it just falls on deaf ears"

lol he's saying Goodell listens, but doesn't understand, and it's true about how much power he has over the league, nobody likes this guy, or agrees with any decisions he makes. Not the players, not the fans.

Scorp
11-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Get rid of Goodell. I truly despise people who don't listen to others and are just about themselves. The crackdown has started on YOU GOODELL.

--- Added 11/3/2010 at 03:12 PM ---

Alot of people say Obama is bad for America. I say Goodell is bad for the NFL.

Raleigh Steel
11-03-2010, 04:31 PM
"Sometimes it just falls on deaf ears"

lol he's saying Goodell listens, but doesn't understand, and it's true about how much power he has over the league, nobody likes this guy, or agrees with any decisions he makes. Not the players, not the fans.

except for the patriots :reddevil:

jnes1216
11-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Thank you Troy! I also like it when the players speak out. Harrison is not going to be invited to be the keynote speaker at many events except maybe some mafioso hitman summer camp, but as more and more players let their concerns be known, maybe the commish will get the message.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-03-2010, 06:49 PM
I don't expect Goodell or the league to respond to Troy's comments, they'll just let it go like they always do. He rarely speaks up to the media about anything like this so for him to speak is nice to hear. I'm sure he echo's the sentiments of players all around the NFL. Perhaps it would make a difference if there were a CBA right now, atleast then the players would have a leg to stand on.

The league IMO could care less, they overreacted to the couple weeks of big hits and now all of the sudden the sky is falling. They certainly won't actually admit they were wrong and lessen the penalties they laid out, they're too concerned about their image with John & Jane Q. American Sports Parent. As long as the public thinks that the NFL is a pansy sport where nobody gets hurt, they are happy.

steelersbabex25
11-03-2010, 07:18 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

Why doesn't Troy open his mouth more often? He makes a ton of sense.

LatrobePA
11-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Troy is fired up!! I like it...

JensK
11-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Big *** fine inc. to troy >.<

igor0190
11-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Big *** fine inc. to troy >.<

Well if they start throwing fines around for what Troy said, then they might as well fine Tomlin as well. His statement was just as strong.

If they start fining guys with squeeky clean track records then this will have seriously boiled over to the extreme.

chisteeler
11-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Thank you Troy.
I like to think that great minds think alike. I said a few weeks ago that Rog needs to listen to his employees as well as making the statement that Americans like their CONTACT sports with contact, if not we'd all watch soccer. I must be a genius. Maybe I should replace BA? LOL

nuclearchihuahuas
11-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Troy absolutely nailed it! He echoed the sentiments of everyone who has had the guts to speak up. He is correct, Godell has too much power and should be stopped. I agree though, Troy will likely get a fine for speaking up. We should start sending in money now LOL! :stirpot:

igor0190
11-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Troy absolutely nailed it! He echoed the sentiments of everyone who has had the guts to speak up. He is correct, Godell has too much power and should be stopped. I agree though, Troy will likely get a fine for speaking up. We should start sending in money now LOL! :stirpot:

:plus1:
I'm in for a few $$ if Troy gets fined!

:nahnah:

Prosdo
11-04-2010, 04:30 AM
Kinda shows you just how outraged players have become when a quiet guy like Troy says this stuff.

steelersbabex25
11-04-2010, 06:50 AM
They can't fine Troy. He's a saint.

SteelDad
11-04-2010, 04:49 PM
#1 Troy is absolutely right.
#2 My guess is that he is a smart enough guy to know he'll get fined or at the very least, a stern talking to from Fuhrer Goodell.
#3 I don't think he cares.
#4 I love it!!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Tomlin getting into it as well..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81bdb571/article/steelers-harrison-fined-20k-for-hit-on-saints-qb-brees

The NFL's toughened stance is very unpopular among the Steelers (5-2), who take pride in being physical and, if necessary, intimidating. Coach Mike Tomlin and Steelers President Art Rooney II both defended Harrison for the Massaquoi hit, saying it was permissible under league rules.

Tomlin was visibly displeased last week that NFL vice president Ray Anderson praised Harrison for pulling up and not hitting Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown (http://www.nfl.com/players/ronniebrown/profile?id=BRO662745). Tomlin said it was "insulting" that anyone in the league office suggested the Steelers altered their style of play.
"It would be tough for me to care less about their opinion, to be honest with you," Tomlin said.

Clevelandsux
11-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Troy will be getting a fine soon too. lol

nuclearchihuahuas
11-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Troy suggested a 'panel' to review possible illegal hits. This panel should include a defensive coach and a defensive player one person from NFL office, one owner, one offensive player and offensive coach but NO GOODELL! :imho:

jnes1216
11-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Golic on Mike & Mike said that the players would not approve a fine if the player was on their team or they would approve fine/suspension if it was a conference rival. I'm sure some others have the same view. Easy solution would be NFC players judge AFC "infractions" and vice versa.
Goodell should be left out from the further pussification of the league.

beaver688
11-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Goodell should just go away

nuclearchihuahuas
11-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Goodell should just go away

:plus1::plus1:

manesaflyin
11-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Impeach Goodell!!!

jtferg4
11-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Is nice to here my favorite player express himself every once in a while and he is right that the commisioner has to much power. It doesnt make sense that someone who watches on the sidelines to make key decisions about rules of what players can do on the feild. He has no insight of playing in this league so it would only be fair to get the oppinions of the players and actually acknoledging them.

xxxsteelernation
11-11-2010, 07:34 PM
With troy pretty much calling out goodell, has he put a target on his back by this new "commitee" and any hit that is hard by troy going to be fined?

LatrobePA
11-11-2010, 07:47 PM
NO, he's not going to pick on Troy...