PDA

View Full Version : al woods gone -- Ellis in

coldrolled
11-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Buccaneers Sign DL Al Woods Off Steelers' Practice Squad
To help fill the void created by the placement of second-round defensive tackle Brian Price on injured reserve, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will sign rookie defensive lineman Al Woods off the Pittsburgh Steelers' practice squad, Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network reports.

According to the collective bargaining agreement, Woods is guaranteed three game-checks from the Buccaneers ($56,471).

A fourth-round pick (123rd overall) out of LSU by the New Orleans Saints, Woods (6-4, 312) had four tackles during his first NFL pre-season before being a surprise addition to the Saints' cuts when forming their 53-man roster.

Woods cleared waivers and was signed to the Steelers' practice squad in Week 1.

A late-bloomer at LSU, Woods started just 16 games during his college career. A full-time starter in 2009, Woods totaled 33 tackles, including 5.5 for a loss and a quarterback sack, and knocking down a pair of passes at the line of scrimmage.

--- Added 11/2/2010 at 09:15 PM ---

Steelers Sign LB Chris Ellis to Practice Squad
Free agent linebacker Chris Ellis has been signed to the Pittsburgh Steelers' practice squad, a league source said.

A third-round pick (72nd overall) out of Virginia Tech by the Buffalo Bills in 2008, Ellis (6-4, 261) totaled 13 tackles and a quarterback sack in 15 games during his 2-plus seasons in western New York.

Ellis started the Bills' 2010 season-opener, posting his first and only NFL sack, but was waived on October 11 so tight end Shawn Nelson could be added to the active roster.

The Steelers had hoped to re-sign 2010 fourth-round linebacker Thaddeus Gibson to the practice squad, but he was claimed off waivers by the San Francisco 49ers on Monday.

K Train
11-03-2010, 12:00 AM
woods and gibson gone....**** my life

mclendon needs to be the second coming now

LatrobePA
11-03-2010, 12:25 AM
No worries Train we still have Ziggy!!

coldrolled
11-03-2010, 08:28 AM
at his size 6-4 261... hes an olb the size of demarcus ware... DL needs to dial him up..

third-round pick (72nd overall) almost a 2nd rounder by 8 picks

BlitzburghRockCity
11-03-2010, 09:13 AM
I was excited about the long term prospect of Woods, damnit! :evilshake: I agree with Train, McClendon better flat out beast everyone when he gets on the field.

harpo
11-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Well, i can't say i'm surprised. Was Woods that much of a disappointment on the PS, that they felt better going with McClendon? I would've liked to have seen what he could do in Lebeau's scheme.

coldrolled
11-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Well, i can't say i'm surprised. Was Woods that much of a disappointment on the PS, that they felt better going with McClendon? I would've liked to have seen what he could do in Lebeau's scheme.

the saints said woods was real soft not to wired... maybe a bit of a lamb for dick also...

ellis seems like a brawler...

harpo
11-03-2010, 01:16 PM
ellis seems like a brawler...

I'm an SEC guy, so i don't know much about him. Did you follow him at Virginia Tech?

jpele
11-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Sunny Harris is back,we're saved.

Activity on the Steelers practice squad. Added was LB Chris Ellis, who took Steve McLendon's spot when he was added to the 53-man roster. Then DL Al Woods was signed off the Steelers practice squad by Tampa Bay, which put him on their 53. The Bucs also added DE Al Worthington to the practice squad, and so the Steelers signed DE Sunny Harris to theirs.

coldrolled
11-03-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm an SEC guy, so i don't know much about him. Did you follow him at Virginia Tech?

Worilds took his job at VT.. Maybe they can help each other get some plays in on this team.

super cleats
11-03-2010, 04:22 PM
i still wouldn't of mind to see us sign charles grant

playboy pryor
11-04-2010, 02:45 AM
i still wouldn't of mind to see us sign charles grant

I think Grant can fit perfect 4 our 3-4 scheme. 4got all about him!!

K Train
11-04-2010, 03:09 AM
hes never been in a 34 and couldnt make a bears team that runs a 43...why is he such a good fit all of the sudden?