PDA

View Full Version : Wheres Troy P been?

Clevelandsux
11-02-2010, 09:15 PM
I love troy, but the last 3 weeks you've hardly heard his name. Accept for the pass interference call. The first few games he was on fire.

Speeed
11-02-2010, 09:21 PM
I have noticed too. I saw him miss a few tackles, and miss on a few plays on which he gambled. I think it is a mix of things, bad luck, teams keeping the ball away from him, and just the manner of the opposing team's O.

I am confident he will be more of a factor as the season progresses.

LatrobePA
11-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Making commercials promoting hair shampoo!!

I did read an article where he is beating himself up pretty bad for the Saints loss...He was the one in coverage when Brees hit for the 50 yarder...

Big T
11-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Take the good with the bad. The way he's played for us throughout his career, the man is allowed a few down games lol...

LatrobePA
11-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Take the good with the bad. The way he's played for us throughout his career, the man is allowed a few down games lol...

I agree, he was playing with more spark than previous weeks IMO...He'll have a big game taking balls away from Palmer and the two village idiots...

SnakeEyes43
11-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Everyone keeps saying this was his worst game in a long time. He had the pass interference call and he got burnt for the 50 yarder, but overall I liked the way he was flying around like the Troy of old. He was laying the wood on some people instead of just shooting in at their legs. Troy had some great hits on Sunday. He blew some coverage and missed some tackles, but I liked how aggressive he was playing. It was a bad game for him, but it was nice to see him hitting again...I don't know.

steelersbabex25
11-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Washing his hair..

BlitzburghRockCity
11-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Trust me, if Troy wasn't out there on the field our defense you'd know it. He makes a difference out there every play whether he's around the ball or not. Last year he was gone for 11 games and his presence was deeply missed.

Troy has made plenty of plays over the last few weeks, just not as high profile ones as before. The fact that he's healthy and out there being accounted for every play by the opposing offense is a plus for us!

Steel Trap86
11-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Everyone keeps saying this was his worst game in a long time. He had the pass interference call and he got burnt for the 50 yarder, but overall I liked the way he was flying around like the Troy of old. He was laying the wood on some people instead of just shooting in at their legs. Troy had some great hits on Sunday. He blew some coverage and missed some tackles, but I liked how aggressive he was playing. It was a bad game for him, but it was nice to see him hitting again...I don't know.

He got burned for that 50 yarder because he dropped back and had the choice of 2 guys he could cover, one guy going more across the middle and one straight up the sideline (can't remember the players) and he chose the guy going more across the middle, which was the wrong one, that's why buddy was WIDE open when he caught it lol. Troy uses his instincts a lot back there and he just made the wrong choice on who's route to cover.

It's those same instincts though, that put us in the superbowl when he intercepted Flacco, when he picked off Matt Ryan in week 1, and when he made that rediculous sack on Collins at the goal line against Tennessee, just to name a few. So ya you have to take the good with the bad, he's not always going to be dead on.

Dobre Shunka
11-03-2010, 03:48 AM
Brees picked on him all game long. In the long run that looked to be a sound strategy.

Still, watching the Saints game he was in there all the time. He's still a beast even when he guesses wrong he was over there like a flash and prolly saved the easy score.

Without him out there, it would have been worse.

JensK
11-03-2010, 04:56 AM
He actually played a very good first half for us. Second half be blew a couple of plays, but that is what you should expect in a game versus Brees. The thing is, Polamalu does not play after schemes or anything like that. He plays as he pleases, and while that usually is a good thing, it will backslash when you have a QB like Brees who is a master in fooling DBs.

LarryNJ
11-03-2010, 07:27 AM
He got burned for that 50 yarder because he dropped back and had the choice of 2 guys he could cover, one guy going more across the middle and one straight up the sideline (can't remember the players) and he chose the guy going more across the middle, which was the wrong one, that's why buddy was WIDE open when he caught it lol. Troy uses his instincts a lot back there and he just made the wrong choice on who's route to cover.

He plays as he pleases, and while that usually is a good thing, it will backslash when you have a QB like Brees who is a master in fooling DBs.

I'd love to see a coaches film on that play to see if indeed Drew faked him out. All night long Collinsworth was saying Brees said he knew he could get Troy to bite and hit a big play.

As far as the original question where's Troy been? I'd like to have about 30 other players playing like him. :greengrin:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-03-2010, 08:16 AM
I'd love to see a coaches film on that play to see if indeed Drew faked him out. All night long Collinsworth was saying Brees said he knew he could get Troy to bite and hit a big play.

As far as the original question where's Troy been? I'd like to have about 30 other players playing like him. :greengrin:

I agree, it's not often that Troy will bite on a play and it ends up bad. He's usually pretty much right on. I'll take Troy's occasional whiff or missed back in return for every other play he makes and his sheer presence on the field that makes offenses atleast account for him if nothing else.

coldrolled
11-03-2010, 08:46 AM

Collinsworth hates the steelers... any second he can make a smart *** comment about us he does...

Iron City South
11-03-2010, 09:05 AM
No need to bash Polamalu for having a bad couple of weeks. You know as well as I he'll rebound and make superhuman-like plays again.

The loss to the Saints may be what this team needed to stay focused on the business at hand considering we're still not at the mid-season point just yet.

The only 2 people that really need to up their game on this team is Tomlin and Arians.

Raleigh Steel
11-03-2010, 10:40 AM

trap, you beat to that one. but i'll take it a step further...it looked like there was a mis-communication in the coverage. Ike let the receiver go thinking he had troy in the coverage, while it looked like troy thought ike had him and chose to help with the middle receiver...of course i could be wrong about this, but that's what it looked like to me.

SteelCityKid5
11-03-2010, 11:41 AM
See: Secondary

super cleats
11-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Trust me, if Troy wasn't out there on the field our defense you'd know it. He makes a difference out there every play whether he's around the ball or not. Last year he was gone for 11 games and his presence was deeply missed.

Troy has made plenty of plays over the last few weeks, just not as high profile ones as before. The fact that he's healthy and out there being accounted for every play by the opposing offense is a plus for us!

statistically speaking, last season the Steelers defense has performed better against the pass than this year...

I just think it's a mix of bad calls, and well, as much as I would like to, I doubt we will see a 2008 defense version 2.

Goodfrom55
11-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Offenses have evolved and are now scheming to go away from Troy. Steelers are #1 against the run largely because teams don't HAVE TO RUN in order to move the chains. On 1st and 2nd downs, Ike and B-Mac, albeit by design, are 8-11 yards off the WR's. Qb sees this and throws hitch opass to either WR for a 4 to 5 yard gain. Same as a 4 or 5 yard run in their eyes. This small ball takes away the Troy effect because by the time he or anyone reacts, the ball is out of the QB hands and now it's a matter of pursuit. Troy's strength is run support and taking away the deep ball. In SUnday's blown coverage, they were in cover 2 and Troy guessed that Brees was throwing to the TE, so he came up in coverage - ball was thrown deep, Troy's not there - 50 yard play.

Troy is still a presence; don't fall in love with the stats or in some cases the lack there of. Teams still account for Troy as they should. IMO, to get him more involved in the game, the CB's or coach Horton / LeBeau needs to call for more press coverage or bump and run on 1st and 2nd downs which would take away those annoying 5 yard hitch passes and force the QB's to read the defense and find the open man. That's when Troy becomes a presence.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Brees picked on him all game long. In the long run that looked to be a sound strategy.

Still, watching the Saints game he was in there all the time. He's still a beast even when he guesses wrong he was over there like a flash and prolly saved the easy score.

Without him out there, it would have been worse.

Exactly... Troy is much more than what we seen out of him the past 3 weeks, Like TG said if Troy wasn't on the defense we would be getting torched with the deep ball, if u look at the plays he made the last 3 weeks u will see that he made running backs choose different holes so other players can make the tackle, u will also see that teams have not tried to go deep on us much either, I don't know what TP yaw been watching for the last 3 weeks but the one i've seen has been making plays even if he's not intercepting the ball all the time, he is still around the ball all the time, I'll tell u what re watch the last 3 weeks and then compare them to last year when Troy was not playing defense...

Goodfrom55
11-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Bottom line, without Troy patrolling the secondary, there is no fear factor.

Dean Denton
11-06-2010, 05:00 AM
Yeah, he played....not so good against the Saints. Flag, burnt deep for 50 years, then got posted up by Shocky. Shoky put it in his face too. I know he cant make every play, but it looks bad for a player like that do have so many errors in one game. But he's also the guy that will make more good plays then bad, and could easily make many big plays in the next couple of weeks. Could also have something to do with him missing church because of a late starting game. Ya know how he hates having to change church time.