PDA

View Full Version : Why Tomlin challenged and didn't challenge plays

harpo
11-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Ed Bouchette explains why Mike Tomlin challenged and didn't challenge those respective plays in his chat session:

steelerfaninNM: Ed, what do the coaches see differently in the booth than we do at home. MT challenges an obvious down by contact play on a punt return and then fails to challenge an obvious Mendy touchdown run on that fateful 1st and goal series in which Mendy was tackled on top of the defender and roll over with the ball clearly crossing the goalline, what gives?

Ed Bouchette: I figured this is what happened and after further checking today, I found out it is true. The television in the visiting coaches booth in New Orleans was tuned to the scoreboard view of the game, which is controlled by the home team. The home team will never show a replay if a successful challenge would hurt the home team. Thus, they did not show the replay on the video screen at the game and so the Steelers coaches never saw what we all saw -- the NBC network telecast that clearly showed Rashard Mendenhall had scored. Tomlin had no idea because he did not see it clearly and no one from the Steelers ever saw a replay. He should have called me in the press box because I saw it.

More:

Ed Bouchette Chat Transcript 11.02.2010 (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/106096-ed-bouchettes-steelers-chat-11210)

BlitzburghRockCity
11-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Every NFL doest he same thing, they make sure the scoreboards never show a replay when it's a visiting teams questionable play. With only 1 timeout left at his disposal and no clear indication from his coaches or Mendenhall he felt like it was not a good challenge to issue. It's hard to blame him in that respect but man it's a good chance that Mendy TD would have been good.

greennick
11-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Shouldn't every team get the NBC/CBS/ESPN/etc stream? Not the scoreboard stream?? That should be a rule of the NFL, otherwise it just adds further to the home team advantage.

harpo
11-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Every NFL doest he same thing, they make sure the scoreboards never show a replay when it's a visiting teams questionable play. With only 1 timeout left at his disposal and no clear indication from his coaches or Mendenhall he felt like it was not a good challenge to issue. It's hard to blame him in that respect but man it's a good chance that Mendy TD would have been good.

I totally agree. That's why I said in an earlier thread that the coaches in the booth are the ones who really make the call as to whether or not the play should be challenged. The head coach can only go on what they (the coaches in the booth) sees, or doesn't see.

lloydfan4life
11-02-2010, 09:52 PM
wow.... what a piece of news... I was always under the impression that the coaches in the booth had access to video of replays rather quickly. This sheds a whole new light on plays that get red flagged by a team and plays that don't.

I don't think it's real fair that both teams don't have equal access to the same video feed during the game, if this really is the case.

Clevelandsux
11-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Tomlin burned way too many of out timeouts too early. And his challenge I questioned too.

Iron City South
11-02-2010, 10:00 PM
So knowing this, is it against any league rules for the visiting team to bring their own TV and cable hook-up so that they can see what every other viewer in America sees?

Something smells fishy here .... I'm not sure if I'm buying into this.

harpo
11-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Ed Bouchette is a solid source of information and has been for a loooong time. So until I hear otherwise, i'm believing him.

LatrobePA
11-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Hmmm here all along I thought he was grooming his perfectly shaved beard and not paying attention...My bad!! lol

harpo
11-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Tomlin burned way too many of out timeouts too early. And his challenge I questioned too.

If my memory serves me correctly, Tomlin was only responsible for the timeout they lost on the challenge. Ben burned one of those timeouts on a drive because he didn't like what he saw from the Saints defense.

We all questioned that first challenge, but now....knowing what we know, thanks to Ed Bouchette, if his coaches don't have the same view as we do at home, how much can you really blame him?

steelersbabex25
11-03-2010, 12:17 AM
wow.... what a piece of news... I was always under the impression that the coaches in the booth had access to video of replays rather quickly. This sheds a whole new light on plays that get red flagged by a team and plays that don't.

I don't think it's real fair that both teams don't have equal access to the same video feed during the game, if this really is the case.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic but I agree :lol:. I always thought that the booth had all the replays that they needed as well. Kind of a surprise that they don't really get to watch the plays over very well..

LarryNJ
11-03-2010, 12:29 AM
The same thing happened in a Pens game last year to the advantage of the Pens. They sent 3 feeds to Toronto but not the 4th that clearly showed a goal. :) I think the NHL did change the rule and the home team must send evey angle. But they still don't show it on the scoreboard.

That makes sense for the second no challenge, MT also said Mendenhall didn't think he got in...so they do consult with the players. But what's the excuse for the first one?

Dobre Shunka
11-03-2010, 04:54 AM
Tomlin can only go with a challenge that his booth upstairs tells him to. Hard to blame him for not having the info to challenge after losing the horrendous call.

For the record, visiting teams are almost always at the disadvantage on replays but I do think they are allowed to bring in their own monitor so to watch the network feed (the one we all watch) with the supplied video from the NFL.

lloydfan4life
11-03-2010, 08:59 AM
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic but I agree :lol:. I always thought that the booth had all the replays that they needed as well. Kind of a surprise that they don't really get to watch the plays over very well..

No, I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I probably should have worded it a little differently. I can't believe with the way the NFL is striving for parity in the league that they allow this to go on.

@ Larry... not sure there is an 'excuse' for the first blown challenge by Tomlin... other than the fact that he and whoever else was telling him to review it didn't have the same view of the play that those of us sitting in our living rooms had.

harpo
11-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Tomlin can only go with a challenge that his booth upstairs tells him to. Hard to blame him for not having the info to challenge after losing the horrendous call.

I totally agree. I was harboring on this point the day after the game.

For the record, visiting teams are almost always at the disadvantage on replays but I do think they are allowed to bring in their own monitor so to watch the network feed (the one we all watch) with the supplied video from the NFL.

This is an interesting point. I haven't really heard much about whether this is true or not. I would be interested in finding out, though.

Iron City South
11-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Ed Bouchette is a solid source of information and has been for a loooong time. So until I hear otherwise, i'm believing him.

Bouchette is nearing retirement .. meaning, he's in a comfort zone (i.e. "In bed") with the Steelers organization that he will not jeapordize at this point. Basically, he tows the company line for the Steelers and carries their water at their request.

Do you think he's going to risk getting kicked off the Christmas list? No more dinner banquets? No more full access to players and coaches? No more invites to Steelers charity golf tourneyments and other events?

Hell no he's not. :2cents:

jnes1216
11-03-2010, 11:04 AM
The channel that the replay people are watching can be changed from the scoreboard feed (home team controlled obviously) to the network feed (NBC in this case) when requested. How is it that one writer noticed this and had his channel changed but the guys employed by the Steelers can miss this? You would think that would be the first thing they looked into. Let's hope this is immediately corrected and our challenges will be spot on for the rest of the year.

harpo
11-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Bouchette is nearing retirement .. meaning, he's in a comfort zone (i.e. "In bed") with the Steelers organization that he will not jeapordize at this point. Basically, he tows the company line for the Steelers and carries their water at their request.

Do you think he's going to risk getting kicked off the Christmas list? No more dinner banquets? No more full access to players and coaches? No more invites to Steelers charity golf tourneyments and other events?

Hell no he's not. :2cents:

Perhaps, but he's been solid in regards to what's going on with the team. Again....until I hear otherwise, i'm sticking w/ Bouchette.

SteelDad
11-03-2010, 12:23 PM
This is what SI.com reported today.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/11/02/steelers.ap/index.html?eref=sihp