PDA

View Full Version : Missed long FG was the turning point in this game

BlitzburghRockCity
10-31-2010, 11:32 PM
There is absolutely NO reason, ZERO, ZIP, NADDA, ZILCH, that you send out Reed for a 51 yd attempt. You miss that,and we did of course, and you give them prime field position. It happened, they did, and they go up with momentum.

In a close game you always play the field position battle, and Tomlin should have known that. Reed has not been money all year, and in a hostile environment you never give them free yards like that. I'm sorry, but after that they had all the momentum and there was no turning back.

K Train
10-31-2010, 11:35 PM
turning point was randle el being physically terrified of the endzone....theres no reason he shouldnt have been able to get in

cut him, with a knife, in his neck

HUNT4SEVEN
10-31-2010, 11:38 PM
turning point was randle el being physically terrified of the endzone....theres no reason he shouldnt have been able to get in

That and that Bs run run pass Bull sh&! is what killed us on offense

Dee Mca
10-31-2010, 11:38 PM
Should have run right up the middle behind Pouncey

Clevelandsux
10-31-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm getting really sick of Reed. We put up with this drunk baffoon because he was good. Well he seems to have lost it.

igor0190
10-31-2010, 11:43 PM
Should have run right up the middle behind Pouncey

QB SNEAK MAYBE?

steelchamp204
10-31-2010, 11:45 PM
Reed was 7-15 for fgm this year and you send him out for a 51 yarder, whats he smokin? plus the guy cant even get close to gettin a touchback in a DOME, time to go bye bye reed

Zachintosh66
10-31-2010, 11:52 PM
Doug L looked great as a goal line blocker, oh wait. That goal line "stand" or should i say stall was ridiculous! Where was the Ben sneak, or the Redman Iso, or the PA Pass?

what about the play calling on the drive after Adams got hurt and Scott got flagged for holding... 1 n 20, draw. 2 n 19, incomplete screen. 3 n 19 quick slant to ARE. 4 down punt.

Clevelandsux
10-31-2010, 11:53 PM
Reed a few years ago was automatic in a dome. And we go for it on 4th down and give up field position? I think that was pure panic mode by tomlin, or just plain arrogance. You give them the ball at the 40 yard line, assuming the d will stop them? And how many times have we converted on 4th down this year?

I was really dissapointed in the offensive gameplan in general. Ok its only one loss, but this offense has got to step it up. This was a very winable game.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-01-2010, 12:03 AM
There were many other issues of course but man when Reed missed that one I just knew it was going to come back and haunt us. Damned if it didn't come true too. You just can't give good teams that much free yardage, especially when you're on the road. You put your defense in a bad position and give all that momentum back to the Saints.

igor0190
11-01-2010, 12:06 AM
what about the play calling on the drive after Adams got hurt and Scott got flagged for holding... 1 n 20, draw. 2 n 19, incomplete screen. 3 n 19 quick slant to ARE. 4 down punt.

Arians does not have an aggressive play calling bone in his body...
1-20 in the field position they were in, shoulda been automatic 3 pass plays. Possibly shotgun

jnes1216
11-01-2010, 12:09 AM
1st and goal from the 1/2 yard line and no touchdown. Maybe the long fieldgoal was bad but that was worse.

Scorp
11-01-2010, 12:16 AM
Thanks alot Reed. Bastard.

SteelJunkie
11-01-2010, 01:39 AM
Well again falls on the play calling, we had the ball with under 2 mins there should have been no reason to give them the ball back with over a min left. Should have been atleast 1 run play just to gain us a few yards and keep the clock moving a little.

Dean Denton
11-01-2010, 02:54 AM
I think we all knew he was going to miss that. Didn't it look like 70 yards out from that end zone cam? That was a bad call.

LarryNJ
11-01-2010, 06:40 AM
1st and goal from the 1/2 yard line and no touchdown. Maybe the long fieldgoal was bad but that was worse.

:plus1: That is what I believe was the turning point. It picked up their entire team and depressed ours.

harpo
11-01-2010, 08:13 AM

This.....:plus1:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-01-2010, 02:51 PM
We still had our chances after that missed FG, but that gave them momentum and they never looked back. We were in it till the last 5 minutes of the game or so, but I just never had the sense that we were poised to make a comeback in that game at all.

LarryNJ
11-01-2010, 03:05 PM
I just never had the sense that we were poised to make a comeback in that game at all.

By the looks of his body language I kind of think Ben never had that sense either.

Troyisabeast_43
11-01-2010, 03:46 PM
We still had our chances after that missed FG, but that gave them momentum and they never looked back. We were in it till the last 5 minutes of the game or so, but I just never had the sense that we were poised to make a comeback in that game at all.

Had Heath Miller held onto that ball and the Steelers have a 1st down at the 35 yard line of the Saints I liked the Steelers chances of at the very least tying the game up. Ben had seemed to find a little bit of rythym there in the 4th quarter and was exploiting more holes in the Saints secondary. The Steelers just made too many dumb mistakes last night and didnt take advantage of the good opportunities they were presented in the game. And when you do that against a pretty good team like the Saints they will make you pay and pay big time and they made the Steelers pay for their mistakes especially late in the 4th quarter...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-01-2010, 03:50 PM
That's the worst part about it, beating ourselves or just flat out not doing what we should be doing in situations when we would traditionally be successful. If we go out and play our best, leave it all on the field, don't shoot ourselves in the foot, etc. and we still lose then yeah it still sucks but atleast you can know you gave it your all and today just wasn't your day.

Games like last night where we had chances to score TD's or play field position game instead of stupid FG attempts from too far away, fumbles, and int's, those just suck the most.

Scorp
11-01-2010, 03:51 PM
I think Ben smelled sexxx on the football. That's why he was misfiring. He didn't want to let go.

Goodfrom55
11-01-2010, 05:26 PM
I have NO PROBLEM with the 51 yard FG attempt. 72 degrees, indoors, no wind, NO EXCUSES! Conditions were perfect for a FG, albeit 51 yards. In Pittsburgh, I punt, no doubt.

Turning point in the game was Heath's fumble. That was the dagger in the heart.

coldrolled
11-01-2010, 05:54 PM
I have NO PROBLEM with the 51 yard FG attempt. 72 degrees, indoors, no wind, NO EXCUSES! Conditions were perfect for a FG, albeit 51 yards. In Pittsburgh, I punt, no doubt.

Turning point in the game was Heath's fumble. That was the dagger in the heart.

we had 3 qtrs to come up with more solid drives like that.... dont blame miller. he didnt even see the ball the first half..

Goodfrom55
11-01-2010, 05:58 PM
My God I am not blaming Miller; he has been Mr. Clutch since he's been a steeler. I'm simply stating that was a good drive and that fumble was the turning point in the game.

In fact, I told my wife when that happened it is definitely not our night when Heath Miller loses a fumble.

cmerrifield
11-01-2010, 06:07 PM
I am ready for a new kicker. Indoors and 50 yards should be automatic as much as Reed is making

Goodfrom55
11-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Alex Henery from Nebraska. Candidate for the Lou Groza and the Ray Guy award this year.

Raleigh Steel
11-02-2010, 06:46 AM

i've said that about matt "waste of" spaeth! :lol:

but in all seriousness, EL is not bringing all that much to this team. i'd rather take my chances with both brown and sanders on the team. sanders can take EL's spot at receiver and he and brown can handle kick/punt duties.

Clevelandsux
11-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Ya when you can't get it in from the one yard line, that set the tempo.

JensK
11-03-2010, 04:59 AM
i've said that about matt "waste of" spaeth! :lol:

but in all seriousness, EL is not bringing all that much to this team. i'd rather take my chances with both brown and sanders on the team. sanders can take EL's spot at receiver and he and brown can handle kick/punt duties.

Spaeth is just a product of our system. The guy have amazing hands, but is a terrible blocker. Had he played for a team like Chargers or Cowboys, he would be a top 5 TE in yards in this league imo.

coldrolled
11-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Saints news!! Turning Point.... as the Saints see it..

Bobby Hebert called it the greatest goal-line stand in club history. And the man who quarterbacked the Dome Patrol Saints should know.

New Orleans Saints goal-line stand against Pittsburgh has been universally praised.

The stand did more than just save the New Orleans Saints four big early points. It fueled momentum and built confidence.

The Saints defense does not have a reputation as a physical unit but they learned they could stand toe to toe with the league's most physical offenses.

Goodfrom55
11-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Well, confidence booster for sure. Whoever is responsible for making sure the booth has the same replays as we do at home better be on the ball this week and have the TV in the booth turned to that channel.

Can't miss out on opportunities to put up 7 in lieu of 3 especially when a replay clearly shows Mendy was in on 2nd and goal.