PDA

View Full Version : Costly mistakes and missed opportunities on offense

BlitzburghRockCity
10-31-2010, 11:27 PM
Costly offensive mistakes all night long! Missed opportunities, dropped balls, fumbles, you just cannot do that ever, let alone on the road.

Absolutely horrific play calling almost all night long. PERIOD!

How in the world do you not make a TD when you have first and goal on the 1/4 yd line. There is no excuse to line up and run it 3 times and get stuffed. You have to use your weapons, play action would have been money to Heath in the end zone.

The INT late in the second quarter to thwart a scoring drive by the Saints and we come up with a 51 yd FG attempt that gives them prime field position. Epic failure. You just cannot give up scoring chances like that.

The offense let down the defense in a big way tonight, no question about it!

nuclearchihuahuas
10-31-2010, 11:30 PM
The offense is definitely on the hook for this one! We just could not get it together

StlersGuy
10-31-2010, 11:32 PM
Big Ben still looks rusty and the timing is just not there. Also someone needs to slap BA around for the play calling.

*Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk Pro

igor0190
10-31-2010, 11:36 PM
Pittsburgh's offense for most of the game was shaky and predictable.

BRUCE ARIANS! :banging::banging::banging::banging::banging:

Rapid Reaction ESPN James Walker
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/19717/rapid-reaction-saints-20-steelers-10

What I didn't like: Pittsburgh's offense for most of the game was shaky and predictable. New Orleans brought the blitz often and it worked. The Steelers either ran right into the blitz or failed to pick it up on passing downs. Pittsburgh seemed to get in rhythm late with a fourth-quarter touchdown. But a catch and fumble by tight end Heath Miller was the Steelers' last chance to mount a comeback.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-31-2010, 11:39 PM
The Saints have one healthy corner left on the roster and we can't exploit that huge weakness with our passing game.....lol What a joke and BA needs to be beaten really bad for his awful game plan and play calling........Throw the ball more on first down Bruce for Christ sake.....

Plus were was a deep ball to Wallace.....I know the Saints pressure on defense prevented the Steelers from going deep most of the game but when the Steelers started to move the ball somewhat late there right before Miller's costly fumble I was screaming just throw it deep to Wallace.....

The Defense played well enough to win but still had problem getting off the field on third down yet again....

The Steelers better right the ship quick......They must play better then this tonight to win in Cincy......The Bengals will be playing for their season next week......

Zachintosh66
10-31-2010, 11:46 PM
The Saints have one healthy corner left on the roster and we can't exploit that huge weakness with our passing game.....lol What a joke and BA needs to be beaten really bad for his awful game plan and play calling........Throw the ball more on first down Bruce for Christ sake.....

Plus were was a deep ball to Wallace.....I know the Saints pressure on defense prevented the Steelers from going deep most of the game but when the Steelers started to move the ball somewhat late there right before Miller's costly fumble I was screaming just throw it deep to Wallace.....

The Defense played well enough to win but still had problem getting off the field on third down yet again....

The Steelers better right the ship quick......They must play better then this tonight to win in Cincy......The Bengals will be playing for their season next week......

They couldnt throw it b/c the saints had no choice but to blitz everyone to offset their sorry secondary... in which our OL still sucks, so we couldnt get the ball off fast enuff (at least there is no pressure from the middle no more) AND BA couldnt see that everytime they blitzed they left the middle of the field wide open! Which they only used twice, first one ARE almost broke, second Miller fumbled.

D played well, except on 3rd downs in the second half... ya know when it counted

Clevelandsux
10-31-2010, 11:48 PM
I don't think the offense had a game plan to be quite honest with you. Going for it on 4th down? Giving up field position. They were predictable. Trying to force the run. Try the 2 minute offense! Where was Ward all night? Miller? ok he had the fumble. It almost seemed like the O was waiting for the defense to win the game. BigBen was off target all night, underthrowing guys. We could have won this game.

Too many penalties too. Harrison penalty was costly, so was troys. Can't blame it all on the o. Reed is totally undependable anymore.

--- Added 10/31/2010 at 10:48 PM ---

and ben rusty? Hey its your 3rd game back time to get it together.

igor0190
10-31-2010, 11:53 PM
OUr offense is ridiculously passive wit BA calling the plays... It is really painful for me to watch

mwittman5
10-31-2010, 11:56 PM
need a quick rebound, cincy is very desperate. That said the ravens have a tough road too, they play miami followed by a thursday game against the falcons. were in good shape, we've lost to 2 good teams (1 without ben)

Steel Trap86
10-31-2010, 11:57 PM
Playcalling was just horrible, why the **** do we continue to run Mendenhalls wheels off all night long? Ben is back, start spreading the damn ball around. What happened to Miller? he was targeted 2 TIMES, Wallace is averaging 23 yards per catch and we target him 3 times?. What kind of a game plan is that? Ben started to get something going AFTER we fell behind a touchdown because we started spreading the ball around. WHY do we wait until we're scored on before we do this. Arians has the brain span of a ****ing fruit fly.

game plan was just terrible, offense was the biggest eye sore of the night.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-31-2010, 11:58 PM
They couldnt throw it b/c the saints had no choice but to blitz everyone to offset their sorry secondary... in which our OL still sucks, so we couldnt get the ball off fast enuff (at least there is no pressure from the middle no more) AND BA couldnt see that everytime they blitzed they left the middle of the field wide open! Which they only used twice, first one ARE almost broke, second Miller fumbled.

D played well, except on 3rd downs in the second half... ya know when it counted

Oh I know the middle was open most of the game....When a team blitzes that much soemthing is going to be open....But still the Steelers offense should have been able to exploit a depleted Saints secondary.........

Clevelandsux
10-31-2010, 11:59 PM
Where was Ward all night?

Zachintosh66
11-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Where was Ward all night?

pissed off that Sanders took his TD away

Scorp
11-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Thanks alot Ben you f-in fag.

jnes1216
11-01-2010, 12:41 AM
Playcalling was just horrible, why the **** do we continue to run Mendenhalls wheels off all night long?

I didn't think we gave the ball to Mendy enough. Seemed like we abandoned the run early on except for one drive in the second half.

Ben looked like ****, I know he was under pressure but the other times he was just plain inaccurate.

Steel Trap86
11-01-2010, 01:00 AM
I didn't think we gave the ball to Mendy enough. Seemed like we abandoned the run early on except for one drive in the second half.

Ben looked like ****, I know he was under pressure but the other times he was just plain inaccurate.

he had 15 carries. i think we should have used some play action on the goal line chance we had instead of running it 3 straight times.

harpo
11-01-2010, 08:02 AM
The best way to neutralize the blitz is to throw screen passes. Either Bruce Arians doesn't know this, or he knows this and chose not to do it. Based on how the Saints blitzed all night, i'm thinking the former. :lol:

Anyways, I knew they would lose. I just didn't see the Saints losing two games in a row at home. Eventhough the Steelers had opportunities, this was one of those games that if the offense didn't look good early on, they would lose....and that's exactly what happened.

This one doesn't hurt because it's a loss to an NFC opponent. Monday night's game, I expect them to show up and play lights out against the Bengals, who swept them last year. I'm sure this was one of those games the entire team circled on thier calendar when the schedule came out.

LarryNJ
11-01-2010, 10:48 AM
The best way to neutralize the blitz is to throw screen passes. Either Bruce Arians doesn't know this, or he knows this and chose not to do it.

That's one way but an even better way is to establish the running game. We had a few nice runs but we couldn't string together enough of them to make a solid attack.

JensK
11-01-2010, 11:18 AM
pissed off that Sanders took his TD away

I actually think Sanders saved an Interception more than stealing a TD from Hines. The safety was running over there (the one who made the tackle on Sanders), and he would have had a great chance to pick off that ball.

A few random thoughts about the game:

It is not only that BA is a freaking - The dude is blind as well. The saints did, what we should have done all night. Small dump offs to Moore gave them at least 3 first downs. That is all we should have done. They stacked 7-8 guys in the box and dropped rest. There were so much space between their lines it hurt. Especially seeing he likes to run those 3 te sets, one would have thought that it would be easy to sneak one over there. The one time the decide to do it, Miller picks up a huge gainer. Sure, he did fumble it, and that was a tough break, but we could went with that play on every single play, and we would have gained a bunch.

Ward is just not fast enough anymore. When we still had Holmes this was not a problem, as both Holmes and Wallace would run fast enough to make guys miss. Ward did benefit a great deal of that. Sure, now we have Sanders who looks to be a good one, but BA don't play him. Ward is still a great blocker, but he is hardly getting open enough to justify him being in there on every single play. I know he is the one who have caught most throws on this team so far, but that does not as much about Hines as it says about how BAs gameplaning have been.

Sanders get one chance to return a punt and he ALMOST takes it to the house. ARE gets like 4 attempts, and does not even try to attempt any of them... :thinking:

igor0190
11-01-2010, 11:37 AM
I actually think Sanders saved an Interception more than stealing a TD from Hines. The safety was running over there (the one who made the tackle on Sanders), and he would have had a great chance to pick off that ball.:

:plus1:
Collinsworth had no idea what he was talking about.

It is not only that BA is a freaking - The dude is blind as well. The saints did, what we should have done all night. Small dump offs to Moore gave them at least 3 first downs. That is all we should have done. They stacked 7-8 guys in the box and dropped rest. There were so much space between their lines it hurt. Especially seeing he likes to run those 3 te sets, one would have thought that it would be easy to sneak one over there. The one time the decide to do it, Miller picks up a huge gainer. Sure, he did fumble it, and that was a tough break, but we could went with that play on every single play, and we would have gained a bunch.
:plus1:
Obvious to everyone except BA

Sanders get one chance to return a punt and he ALMOST takes it to the house. ARE gets like 4 attempts, and does not even try to attempt any of them... :thinking:
ARE is used on primarily on punt returns when it is a fair catch situation. I completely understand why Tomlin is doing this. Sanders is a rookie and would probably get excited and make a mistake.

jnes1216
11-01-2010, 11:41 AM
I actually think Sanders saved an Interception more than stealing a TD from Hines. The safety was running over there (the one who made the tackle on Sanders), and he would have had a great chance to pick off that ball.

I agree with Sanders breaking up the interception, I didn't think Ward would have had the chance to catch that ball.

Like someone posted earlier, they put ARE in to catch punts near their own goal line which is fine. I'd love to see Sanders in when its not close to the end zone.

Anyone think the saints defender hit Ward head to head at the goal line??? Pass fell incomplete.

igor0190
11-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Anyone think the saints defender hit Ward head to head at the goal line??? Pass fell incomplete.

He did, but if they start calling that kind of hit then it's gonna ruin the game. Besides, it's a double standard for someone like Hines. The league will probably look at that hit, and say "Hines is tough, he's a Steeler. He can take a hit". NEXT!