PDA

View Full Version : OLB Thaddeus Gibson WAIVED to make room for McLendon

igor0190
10-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Just got a text that the Steelers waived Thaddeus Gibson to make room for Steve Mclendon... :banging:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Gibson-waived-to-add-McLendon/d5e6ada4-1552-4255-a5ed-e03b305d2645

KTrain is going to have a heart attack

BlitzburghRockCity
10-30-2010, 04:02 PM
If he clears waivers, they'll stick him on the practice squad.

igor0190
10-30-2010, 04:13 PM
If he clears waivers, they'll stick him on the practice squad.

No doubt they will... but that's a big IF
Everyone knows that the Steelers have the best LB core in the league, and our "odd man out" will likely be snatched up by someone.

Phdboy2020
10-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Yea Gibson will be back and I think that he will be an important part of our team on both defense and special teams. This should be a wakeup call for him to show what he is really capable. Unfortunately, the Steelers are loaded at LB and he may not have a chance with some of the guys on the team. Jason Worilds has proven that he can be a freak off the edge and make opposing QB's pay. Good luck Thaddeus.:tt02:

super cleats
10-30-2010, 04:20 PM
thats what happens when you draft a beast man from virginia tech...

read and flame, IDC... HOKIES ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!

of course gibson will be back, but better hope nobody snaps him up :(

Big T
10-30-2010, 04:50 PM
:'(

http://www.cutebabies.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/crying_baby2.jpg

coldrolled
10-30-2010, 05:30 PM
wierd., why take a chance moving him around?

jnes1216
10-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Yea, you would have thought it would have been Charlie Batch like they have done in the past.

Our luck he'll probably get picked up by Ravens or Patriots.

coldrolled
10-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Yea, you would have thought it would have been Charlie Batch like they have done in the past.

Our luck he'll probably get picked up by Ravens or Patriots.

its like giving away a 4th rounder for Battle, EL, Madison, Mundy. Gibson must have some problems...

--- Added 10/30/2010 at 03:59 PM ---

Butler plays cornerback, and there is no such thing in the NFL as having too many cornerbacks. Dwyer came on late in the preseason and showed himself to be a running back with potential, and the Steelers are a team that believes in running the football.

And finally, at this time in the NFL calendar, every player who is cut – even vested veterans – are subject to the league’s waiver system. That means if a player is cut and a team puts in a claim, that player must either go to that team or retire.

Earlier in the season when the Steelers needed a player at a specific position for the upcoming game, they released veteran quarterback Byron Leftwich and then re-signed him the day after the game. This time, Tomlin was not about to risk one of his veteran players by exposing him to the waiver wire.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-30-2010, 06:26 PM
If Dixon weren't on IR then Batch would have been the odd man out, there is little doubt of that. Tomlin knows he can't give up anybody who plays on ST because we're finally decent and if we lose someone there's no telling how it will affect us.

Waivers is for 24 hours so we have to hope that he can make it. One thing in our favor is that he went on early this afternoon and by the time 24 hours is up teams will be in the middle of the early games tomorrow. I would imagine the Steelers will have their front office ready to reclaim him as soon as the 24 hours is up if he's still free. Atleast if he's on the PS, the player can choose whether or not to leave for another team.

super cleats
10-30-2010, 07:32 PM
guys dont worry. jason worilds is beasting it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-rJ-6hBfSo

u-rJ-6hBfSo

coldrolled
10-30-2010, 07:55 PM
this could help us.. another OLB hit the waiver wire today...

Alex Hall wavied today by the cardnials.

Traded previously on April 2, 2010
Alex Hall has been acquired by the Eagles along with the Browns' 4th and 5th round draft picks in exchange for cornerback Sheldon Brown and linebacker Chris Gocong, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Dobre Shunka
10-30-2010, 09:21 PM
This is just part of NFL life and a risk they had to take because of injuries and all. It happens. I seriously hope he clears waivers but it's not the end of the worild [SIC], if he doesn't.

JW, would never clear, and they know it so they couldn't take a chance with him.

coldrolled
10-31-2010, 08:45 AM
This is just part of NFL life and a risk they had to take because of injuries and all. It happens. I seriously hope he clears waivers but it's not the end of the worild [SIC], if he doesn't.

JW, would never clear, and they know it so they couldn't take a chance with him.

Tony Hills??

super cleats
10-31-2010, 09:44 AM
it looks like he will clear waivers

86WARD
10-31-2010, 12:57 PM
No reason he shouldn't clear waivers...

nuclearchihuahuas
10-31-2010, 03:10 PM
There is no reason to take a chance like this. We could have cut Battle or waived any number of players rather than take this chance. I hope it all works out for the best of course, I just do not believe this risk was necessary.

DanRooney
10-31-2010, 03:56 PM
There is no reason to take a chance like this. We could have cut Battle or waived any number of players rather than take this chance. I hope it all works out for the best of course, I just do not believe this risk was necessary.

Tomlin has no balls. He's in love with his vets.

LatrobePA
10-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Risky *** move for a future star!!

SteelerDan43
10-31-2010, 05:17 PM
Risky *** move for a future star!!

If he was a future star he might of earned/kept his spot...

Farrior Fan
10-31-2010, 06:29 PM

agreed, thats why Sylvester is still on the team. Future super-stud

super cleats
10-31-2010, 06:36 PM
sylvester looks awesome. and so does worilds.

haha gibson is in a worilds of sly trouble.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-31-2010, 07:57 PM
Don't be surprise if the Clowns claim him, They wanted him but had no 4th round pick in this year draft, I hope he stays with us also he has great potential...

coach
10-31-2010, 08:38 PM
Tony Hills??

My thoughts exactly.

jnes1216
10-31-2010, 08:51 PM
I thought Hills had a decent preseason imo.
Offensive line seems thin to cut another lineman.

Big T
10-31-2010, 08:53 PM

Tell that to James Harrison....

super cleats
10-31-2010, 08:58 PM
Tell that to James Harrison....

Tell that to Jason Worilds, oh wait, isn't he the dude that is behind Harrison on the depth chart, and woodley aint retiring soon.......

...... #TEAMWORILDS!!!

K Train
11-01-2010, 12:37 AM
lol steeldawgswag. so sneaky

my heart did drop a iittle bit when i read this the other day

coldrolled
11-01-2010, 11:02 AM
lol steeldawgswag. so sneaky

my heart did drop a iittle bit when i read this the other day

i hope we get him signed today... this was a stupid move.

well.. keeping arians is a stupid move.. this was sort of stupid..

igor0190
11-01-2010, 12:01 PM
i hope we get him signed today... this was a stupid move.

well.. keeping arians is a stupid move.. this was sort of stupid..

Maybe we should have Thaddeus call the plays and BA play LB...
I would love to see BA on the field for special teams just once... we all know how that would end :lol:

coldrolled
11-01-2010, 12:06 PM
NEW ORLEANS -- The Steelers likely sacrificed their fourth-round draft choice on the altar of having defensive end Aaron Smith back -- maybe, possibly --for the playoffs.

Linebacker Thaddeus Gibson, who was placed on waivers Saturday so the Steelers could add defensive lineman Steve McLendon to the roster for a third game this season, likely will be claimed by another team off waivers today. It is expected that, at the very least, Buffalo will put in a claim for him; Doug Whaley, the former Steelers pro personnel coordinator, is Buffalo's assistant general manager.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10305/1099796-66.stm#ixzz142l2HeJv

LatrobePA
11-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Horsechit!!

K Train
11-01-2010, 01:38 PM
such a shame...

coldrolled
11-01-2010, 01:41 PM
such a shame...

this is worse than losing last night.

JensK
11-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Good things we still have studs like Randle El on the roster!

LatrobePA
11-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Good things we still have studs like Randle El on the roster!

LOL, you're right he really came through big time last night for the Saints!!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-01-2010, 02:30 PM
I blame this all on Dixon, if he didn't get hurt we'd be able to release Batch! :reddevil:

cmerrifield
11-01-2010, 06:01 PM
He's gone, picked up by the 49ers

Troyisabeast_43
11-01-2010, 06:06 PM
It sucks that they had to let Gibson go but he just unfortunately got caught up too much in the numbers game. It would have been more logical to let a guy like Battle or El go but that is on Mike Tomlin and his hard-on for these veteran players that contribute nothing. Tomlin has really been getting on my last nerve the last few weeks...

cmerrifield
11-01-2010, 06:20 PM
It sucks that they had to let Gibson go but he just unfortunately got caught up too much in the numbers game. It would have been more logical to let a guy like Battle or El go but that is on Mike Tomlin and his hard-on for these veteran players that contribute nothing. Tomlin has really been getting on my last nerve the last few weeks...

Yeah, I am getting tired of Tomlin's decisions too

K Train
11-01-2010, 06:25 PM
they could have cut el, battle, hills, foster, dwyer, redman, moore, batch, or put smith on IR with his arm in shambles....but they cut gibson. makes no ****ing sense

Troyisabeast_43
11-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Yeah, I am getting tired of Tomlin's decisions too

I think his game management as I wrote in another thread has been horrific the last few weeks and all season for that matter despite the 5-2 record. His arrogant tone at postgame press conferences as well whether they come after wins or losses is starting to annoy me as well. I know a lot of people love Tomlin and he did win a Super Bowl for this team but I still am not 100 percent completely sold on him being the coach of this team for as long as Cowher was. I still feel he has a lot to prove. That Super Bowl win for Tomlin back in 2008 will only last so long in Steelers fans memories here before fans start turning on Tomlin if they keep having late season failures like they have experienced in 2 of the 3 seasons Tomlin has been here...

coldrolled
11-01-2010, 06:59 PM
idiots... give away a keeper 4th rounder for 0...

--- Added 11/1/2010 at 04:53 PM ---

idiots... give away a keeper 4th rounder for 0...

singletary will have him playing in a week or two.

--- Added 11/1/2010 at 04:59 PM ---

49ers Claim LB Thaddeus Gibson Off Waivers
The San Francisco 49ers have claimed rookie linebacker Thaddeus Gibson off waivers from the Pittsburgh Steelers.

A fourth-round pick out of Ohio State, Gibson (6-2, 240) was a gameday inactive in each of the Steelers' six games this season before being placed on waivers when the team signed defensive lineman Steve McLendon to the active roster.

Gibson started 23 games at defensive end for the Buckeyes, replacing Vernon Gholston as a starter in 2008. In 35 career games, Gibson totaled 82 tackles, including 25 for a loss and 10 quarterback sacks, and earned second-team All-Big Ten honors after the 2009 season.

Gibson is signed through the 2012 season at league minimum base salaries.

cmerrifield
11-01-2010, 07:01 PM
My favorite part is we kept special teams "ace" Battle with his 2 tackles

There is a part of me that wouldnt mind another loosing skid that would get MT fired. I usually am a homer, but lets find a better HC and OC

LatrobePA
11-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Bad bad move that will haunt Tomlin....

K Train
11-01-2010, 07:58 PM
one of my all time man crushes...i miss him

mclendon better be the second coming AND smith better be back playing at a pro bowl level in the playoffs

Troyisabeast_43
11-01-2010, 08:05 PM
This game against the Bengals next week is a big big game for Tomlin I think after this loss last night and the Steelers needing to win this game in the division and avoid falling further behind the Ravens. The Steelers lost twice to the Bengals last year in 2 games they probably should have won so Tomlin had better get this team to play their best next week and improve on his game management because the Steelers need this game next week against the Bengals or their chances of winning the AFC North while they wont be shattered they will take a major hit...

DanRooney
11-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Tomlin is trash.

Real Deal Steel
11-02-2010, 12:34 AM
I'm really upset with this. Harrison may not be here next year. The league is forcing him out.

igor0190
11-02-2010, 01:21 AM
They should have waived Battle... unlikely he would have been claimed, and big deal if he was.
Why bother drafting so many LB's if you're not going to make an effort to keep them on the roster.

Let's hope he doesn't work out in SF and we can get him back at some point

K Train
11-02-2010, 03:22 AM
harrison is 32 and threatening retirement with not being able to crush players, woodley might not even resign....worilds was less impressive than gibson in preseason why the **** not keep them both? those two and sylvester, and timmons make for a mean future at LB potentially....with or without woodley

harpo
11-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Damn.....feels like a funeral in here. :lol:

Big T
11-02-2010, 12:24 PM
49ers claimed Gibson :'(

KemoTherapy
11-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Steelers.com is reporting that Gibson was waived, and picked up by the 49ers, so the Steelers could add McClendon to the active roster. Sure surprised me, I didn't think they would give up on him so quickly. Well it's another wasted Steeler draft pick in a long line of wasted picks. He must have really sucked or the team would have dropped somebody like Battle or Madison.

woshianiua
11-02-2010, 03:25 PM
thats what happens when you draft a beast man from virginia tech...

coldrolled
11-02-2010, 04:04 PM
maybe he wasnt picking up what the coaches were dropping down??

super cleats
11-02-2010, 04:42 PM
harrison is 32 and threatening retirement with not being able to crush players, woodley might not even resign....worilds was less impressive than gibson in preseason why the **** not keep them both? those two and sylvester, and timmons make for a mean future at LB potentially....with or without woodley

yeah and worilds was better than gibson after the pre-season, this isn't madden where pre-season superstars turn into hall of famers.

quit your stupidddddddd hate on jason worilds, he has played well when he has been in.

that's why he's not with the 49ers right now.

K Train
11-02-2010, 04:57 PM
yeah and worilds was better than gibson after the pre-season, this isn't madden where pre-season superstars turn into hall of famers.

quit your stupidddddddd hate on jason worilds, he has played well when he has been in.

that's why he's not with the 49ers right now.

quit getting banned and making new names like we all cant tell. i know preseason heros dont just turn into hall of famers, thats clear from evander hood and redman being nobodies

LatrobePA
11-02-2010, 05:02 PM
quit getting banned and making new names like we all cant tell.

LOL!:cope:

lloydfan4life
11-02-2010, 05:03 PM
quit getting banned and making new names like we all cant tell. i know preseason heros dont just turn into hall of famers, thats clear from evander hood and redman being nobodies

:rofl: steeldawgswag is busted.

now THAT'S some funny chit!

igor0190
11-02-2010, 05:14 PM
:rofl: steeldawgswag is busted.
now THAT'S some funny chit!

:lol:
Comedy!:clap:

super cleats
11-02-2010, 06:01 PM

i didnt get banned.... and i've been telling everyone it's my name in a lot of threads.... so whats your point, obviously your stupid.... haha and we release gibson and sign another hokie...

cry some more GO WORILDS haha no more gibson :greenbounce2::greenbounce2::greenbounce2: :banana::banana::banana: i win in the end asswipe....

K Train
11-02-2010, 06:20 PM
you win? lol your such a ****ing clown. you win cause your boy is a backup on a deep depth chart while gibson is going somewhere that he can compete for playing time.

worilds cant finish plays, he just almost gets there....but yeah you win

Big T
11-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Dudes arrogance is beyond annoying....

We are going to regret releasing Gibson...

greennick
11-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Who should have we released instead??

Steel Trap86
11-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Who should have we released instead??

Battle...he's useless to us right now!

DanRooney
11-02-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm not going to knock Worilds because he made a couple of plays in his first game of seeing action at OLB, but I do think we made a big mistake releasing Gibson. I hope we can manage to get him back but I'm going to look at this in the positive light and pretend we traded him for Al Woods.

--- Added 11/2/2010 at 06:29 PM ---

Redman hasn't played bad at all. He's been running hard and has been money more often than not on 3rd and short. He did get stopped on the goal line on Sunday but so did Mendenhall...twice.

greennick
11-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Battle...he's useless to us right now!

They were never going to release him though, they want that veteran presence too much.

super cleats
11-02-2010, 08:52 PM
you win? lol your such a ****ing clown. you win cause your boy is a backup on a deep depth chart while gibson is going somewhere that he can compete for playing time.

worilds cant finish plays, he just almost gets there....but yeah you win

gibson won't get any playing time in san fran you idiot they have good linebackers like us.... OH I FORGOT SCOTT MCKILLOP HAS A MASSIVE IMPACT ON THE RED AND GOLD!!!! my boy is the 3rd outside linebacker on the depth chart because timmons wont be moved because he's too good at mlb now, so cry some more, maybe gibson can cradle your ballsack whilst worilds gets more sacks, he has 1 already in limited performence, three short of tying lamarr's rookie sacks and i haven't exactly seen woodley finish plays off this season 3.5 sacks.

and worilds has been pretty solid on special teams (3 against atlanta on his debut), you... i don't know what to call you, but maybe if i dont say what i wanna say then I wouldn't get banned, which hasnt happened to me yet.

:clap::clap::clap: i aspire to be like you. are you the dude that cleans my bed sheets in my house or the dude that sells me my coffee before i go learn at an educational college each day?????

harpo
11-02-2010, 09:00 PM
At this point, releasing Gibson will not hurt the team because, if i'm not mistaken, he hasn't played a down in the NFL as of yet. I understand those upset because he was released, but he is a player based on potential. It's not a guarantee that he is going to be a stud in this league. I think Sylvester will be the best out of this year's draft class. Worilds needs grooming, but I think he's going to be fine. As long as Keith Butler is coaching these guys, i'm not concerned about them letting Gibson go.

The Steelers are known as "Linebacker University". They draft and groom LBs to play Steeler football. So even if Gibson turns out to be a stud, i'm sure they'll draft another one (or two) that we'll fall in love with, welcome with open arms and not miss a beat.

Steel Trap86
11-02-2010, 09:09 PM
They were never going to release him though, they want that veteran presence too much.

You asked who we should have released, my opinion was Battle. He has done nothing and will continue to contribute nothing. just sayin'

LatrobePA
11-02-2010, 09:21 PM
You asked who we should have released, my opinion was Battle. He has done nothing and will continue to contribute nothing. just sayin'

I agree with ya, they screwed this up badly...

Big T
11-02-2010, 09:32 PM
They could've EASILY released Charlie Batch and told him they were going to resign him the next week. Stupid, just stupid....

coldrolled
11-02-2010, 11:19 PM
we now have chris ellis

igor0190
11-03-2010, 12:05 AM
we now have chris ellis

:willybs:
Who?

Blazedby92
11-04-2010, 03:43 PM

saying gibson was more impressive than worilds in preseason isn't saying a whole lot but we all know you don't like preseason Phenoms.....oh but its a guy you like and it's different then, LOL

--- Added 11/2/2010 at 06:29 PM ---[/QUOTE]
Redman hasn't played bad at all. He's been running hard and has been money more often than not on 3rd and short. He did get stopped on the goal line on Sunday but so did Mendenhall...twice.[/QUOTE]

He isn't failing like alot of people said he would of course the same people said he wouldn't sniff the starting roster either so they get alittle mad when they are wrong. He hasn't been lights out but he gets the job done.
Redman is a better goalline back IMO because Mendy has to have alot of space to get to the sidelines so he can run out bounds before contact.
For some reason he always seems to miss that cut back lane up the gut for some odd reason so like aginst the saints sunday on the goaline of course he trys and take it outside (as always) when there is a GAPPING hole up the middle for a couple of inches.

K Train
11-04-2010, 07:32 PM
saying gibson was more impressive than worilds in preseason isn't saying a whole lot but we all know you don't like preseason Phenoms.....oh but its a guy you like and it's different then, LOL

while it isnt saying much, its saying something....considering gibson is about as raw as they come as a pro football player and has some elite measurables, i was fully expecting a 3 years learning curve. worilds was terrible in the preseason and training camp, gibson was dominate....while anyone could suffer the evander hood-like fate and rock the world inside out on one on one drills and get his day lit up in game action, seeing these rookies perform, especially later in the preseason when everyone plays balls out to make a roster does say something about them

my preseason phenoms that i dont like are nobodies, like redman...redman is not a better option than mendenhall or moore in any scenerio, hes about the same as carey davis or gary russell...which isnt bad, but i dont get the man love for him. he caught a few third down passes? cool. hes a weak blocker, having him to block instead of david johnson is sad.

im not a worilds hater, but im not really gonna get my hoped up on him....he could very well be a nobody. i wish we kept woods and gibson, i did have some serious man love for them, thats no secret

DanRooney
11-04-2010, 10:43 PM
3rd and 1. redman isn't a better option than mewelde moore? bullshit.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-04-2010, 11:20 PM
They both have a place; Redman hasn't proven yet whether or not he can be a receiver like Moore is. Memo can drag come people but he's more elusive and has the experience to know where to run to the the first down.

Redman is a run you over, find the lane make one cut and go type of back. Perhaps he has hands that aren't yet discovered and in the future he'll take over for Moore permanently. For the time being though depending on the situation they both have merit. At this point, I'll take Moore in most 3rd downs mainly because he's a beast at picking up blitzers. On 3rd and short or 4th and short gimme Redman.

K Train
11-05-2010, 05:33 AM

3rd and one our best option is mendenhall and its not even close

Blazedby92
11-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Never said Moore but now I know your full of it because Moore is just a good passing down back but he isn't scared of contact like Mendy though.

3rd and one our best option is mendenhall and its not even close

Go back and watch that goalline play and that isn't the only play I seen him pass up the cutback hole to run towards the sideline so yeah Redman and Moore is a better option on 3rd and 1 up the gut play. Mendy is a good back, little overrated IMO on here, but he is not a powerback.

I never said Redman is an all pro and he probably won't be(time will tell) but he has power and some elusivnes up the middle but slow around the tackles. Mendy is more a speed back take it to the outside and he can catch I long accepted the fact there will never be a Bettis here again. So when I need a little power up the gut give me Redman.

Don't knock the guy because he can't block as a FB that's the coach's dumbass decsion he isn't a fullback but I damn well know Mendy couldn't play that role either.

Do you always give evey player you have a crush on a 3 year curve when they don't do very good the first year, example Sweed. I always here potential, I want to see results and trust me I'm a little pissed we got rid of Gibson but we were loaded a LB I guess and Worilds I ain't big on yet because he hasn't proven enough to say he is ready or for that matter any good. Like you said Ziggy had on hell of a preseason too but where is he at know so far your right about him but don't let that boost your ego too much because you have GREAT insight about players that's why I like exchangeing and reading your posts but at the same time you have been wrong more times then right like Sweed I had a man crush on him too even after the first few dropped passes but that didn't last much longer and then I got critical about him.

coldrolled
11-05-2010, 09:29 AM
how about a play were legursky/johnson/or a real FB has mendy follow them into the line for the one yard gain.... BA cant even dial up a simple play.

How about Lagarette Blount... we could have had him 4 times this year.. of course he is a wild man, punches people but guess what.. the steelers couldnt stop him in tampa.. lucky tampa didnt keep running him that game.. last week tampa figured out he can actually run for 120 yards a game... hes a beast... he was our FB... we blew it for some doug worthington dude in the 7th... where is doug now... harrison would have crushed blount in the locker room if he would get out of hand.. our team needs some fire on it...

Blazedby92
11-05-2010, 12:36 PM
how about a play were legursky/johnson/or a real FB has mendy follow them into the line for the one yard gain.... BA cant even dial up a simple play.

How about Lagarette Blount... we could have had him 4 times this year.. of course he is a wild man, punches people but guess what.. the steelers couldnt stop him in tampa.. lucky tampa didnt keep running him that game.. last week tampa figured out he can actually run for 120 yards a game... hes a beast... he was our FB... we blew it for some doug worthington dude in the 7th... where is doug now... harrison would have crushed blount in the locker room if he would get out of hand.. our team needs some fire on it...

EVERY!!!! post you put something about BA even if the thread is about defense I'm beginning to think you actually have a crush on the dude.

I agree with you on Blount but you know the FO, one bad mark and they won't even look your way. We do but we don't really have a feature back but all three compliment each other well IMHO. Mendy 1st and 2nd down speed back, moore 3rd down back and Redman is the short yardage and they all can do a little of everything, Neither is a all down back

coldrolled
11-05-2010, 01:07 PM
EVERY!!!! post you put something about BA even if the thread is about defense I'm beginning to think you actually have a crush on the dude.

I agree with you on Blount but you know the FO, one bad mark and they won't even look your way. We do but we don't really have a feature back but all three compliment each other well IMHO. Mendy 1st and 2nd down speed back, moore 3rd down back and Redman is the short yardage and they all can do a little of everything, Neither is a all down back

:plus1: we just need the running back to follow the fb into the line.... whoever the fb and Rb are.. 9 times out of ten the fullback runs right and the rb takes the ball left for some odd reason... on these short runs we keep trying to fake people out... we need to smash people out of the way... 70's.. rocky makes the hole in the line, franco runs thru the hole.. easy play... redman makes the hole mendy runs thru the hole...

or legursky makes the hole and redman runs thru the hole..

K Train
11-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Do you always give evey player you have a crush on a 3 year curve when they don't do very good the first year, example Sweed. I always here potential, I want to see results and trust me I'm a little pissed we got rid of Gibson but we were loaded a LB I guess and Worilds I ain't big on yet because he hasn't proven enough to say he is ready or for that matter any good. Like you said Ziggy had on hell of a preseason too but where is he at know so far your right about him but don't let that boost your ego too much because you have GREAT insight about players that's why I like exchangeing and reading your posts but at the same time you have been wrong more times then right like Sweed I had a man crush on him too even after the first few dropped passes but that didn't last much longer and then I got critical about him.

thats not true at all...with sweed i expected big things, i really did and i expected them soon. the fact that he never put it all together really blows, but i was willing to give him a few years cause some guys are like that...guys like that take a few years sometimes, especially big 12 WRs with those spread offenses they run...he didnt pan out its a shame. that 3 year curve i give players i like is just not true, i just reconize that the steelers are A) a stacked roster that prevents young players from getting extended playing time, B) led by idiots who would rather play old guys who are average than getting youth on the field and letting them get used to the pro game....cowher was the same way, thank god they broke that trend for pouncey (someone i dont think id be giving 3 years to be effective considering he was so pro ready)

im not "unwilling" to give players i dont like a little time, but i dont like them because of their long term potential when i dont like them. hood is just simply a terrible fit, ill give him a few years obviously but im not excited about what he brings to the table at all....and thats based off him as a prospect and him as a 2nd year pro.

in gibson and woods case....both of them were SO RAW, i wasnt expecting anything out of either right off the bat, but at the same time they are players in the exact mold of what we need in the future. they were legitimate mid-late round draft crushes of mine, gibson should have stayed at school....but i was happy we had him for the down the road potential...it happens, i guess you cant keep everyone but ill always be a fan of his and i wish him the best in SF

. just because i dont like a player doenst mean i wont give them a chance though....prime example, i thought woodley was lazy and afraid of goign against top competition and honestly kind of a pussy, i was happy at the value in round 2, but i wasnt expecting much...now hes one of my favorite steelers. you say im wrong more than im right and while i disagree with that, im ok with you saying that....but i do miss on players but i also make it known when they make me look like an idiot, revis for example i couldnt stand, now hes a top 3 corner

when it comes to the steelers, i got a pretty good handle on what they need....the draft and **** like that is really enjoyable to me, but when urbik, summers, shipley and burnett are out of football, and hood is struggling a ton, and lewis looks bad at best and cant get on the field....yeah, ill take the ego boost and say i told you so

as far as redman goes, the ONLY thing he has that impresses me is exceptional balance...hes not really a power runner either, he runs hard no doubt but he really isnt that special. hes a decent reciever, has decent vision, is a terrible blocker...so we use him at FB, makes no sense to me. what i hate about these kinds of players is how an entire fan base falls in love with him cause they are looking for the next bus after one goal line play against the panthers first team defense....then its a travesty when hes not kept on the roster. hes a less than average backup and a decent third down back.

K Train
11-05-2010, 01:37 PM

david johnson is the ebst FB the steelers have had in a decade....hes a crushing blocker and has speed that dan kreider lacked.

loved me some blount, hope dwyer ends up panning out for us

btw both worthington and woods signed with the bucs when brian price fractured his pelvis or some **** like that

coldrolled
11-05-2010, 02:15 PM
david johnson is the ebst FB the steelers have had in a decade....hes a crushing blocker and has speed that dan kreider lacked.

loved me some blount, hope dwyer ends up panning out for us

btw both worthington and woods signed with the bucs when brian price fractured his pelvis or some **** like that

i know, tampa is my home team on tv down here.. they are actually starting to look good... well for tampa anyway.... i will keep my eye on woods.

johnson blocks hard when he's on the guy granted, but he misses his guys a lot too...

im just saying play some simple ball and run behind the blocker. we always seem to be trying to fake everyone out.. blocker hits one hole the rb is somewhere else.

if we try the simple physical play first and just smashmouth into the line and it doesnt work then try to fake them out with decoy FB's and whatever else later in the game that the bonehead comes up with.. like 5 wide on the 2... or no backfield from the 2...
a reverse when we need some yards for an easier field goal.. that kinda crap...

K Train
11-05-2010, 02:39 PM
at least he can move people unlike carey davis, and at least he can avoid falling on his face every play instead of blocking like frank summers lol

coldrolled
11-05-2010, 05:02 PM
at least he can move people unlike carey davis, and at least he can avoid falling on his face every play instead of blocking like frank summers lol

johnson is a beast.. and strong like harrison... i just think we need a FB beast with the Blount kinda attitude to bust open some plays on short yardage. our next oc hopefully will introduce a true fb to our roster next year..

Blazedby92
11-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Oh yeah I don't understand the Redman FB either especially when DJ is blocking lights out plus he was a TE coming in so you know he atleast has descent hands out of the backfield so yeah there are some really ridculious substitutions and schemes makes me wonder if it would have been better to have a offensive minded coaches instead of MT. Would of made sense with Lebeau calling Def.

The ARE is ABSOLUTE BS!!!!!!!!! He wasn't anygood before why now....oh he is a choir boy, maybe he was kneeling down to pray before he TRIED to score a TD last week. What a B****!!!!

super cleats
11-06-2010, 07:47 PM
im pretty sure if you put timmons where woodley is, timmons would be more effective, he's stepped up his game this season, I think he's the best linebacker on our team now, this offseason his contract is up i think, big pay day coming at least 30 million.

DanRooney
11-07-2010, 12:22 AM
I hope Jason Woodley doesn't get the big $$$. He's been close to a non-factor.

super cleats
11-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Last time I checked, LaMarr Worilds hasn't fused yet lol.