PDA

View Full Version : NFL aims to attract "casual" fans

igor0190
10-30-2010, 09:26 AM
Good article :clap:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/505144-nfl-week-8-message-to-baltimore-ravens-and-pittsburgh-steelers

NFL Week 8: A Message To the Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers
By Derek Overly (Contributor) on October 29, 2010

There are plenty of exciting NFL games to watch in Week 8. The Indianapolis Colts will try to exact some revenge on the Houston Texans. Randy Moss leads his new team, the Minnesota Vikings (who may possibly play without Brett Favre), against his old team, the New England Patriots.

However there are two teams to watch closely this week, and one of them is on a bye.

I'm talking about the Baltimore Ravens and the Pittsburgh Steelers. These are two of the most physical, brutal, and violent football teams in the National Football League. It's not a coincidence that these are also two of the teams consistently competing for a championship. They prove that football and violence go hand-in-hand.

Yet last week there was a travesty in the NFL. There was a league wide scare when new punishments were implemented for helmet to helmet hits.

This resulted in higher scoring games because the defenses were afraid to do their job. In case no one knew, the NFL averaged 52.6 points per game last week.

That's good for the highest total in the last 20 years. Congratulations fantasy owners.

But for those of you who care about the actual game that's played on the field, I'm sure you were disappointed in the product you saw. As a sports management major I can tell you that the new punishments are strictly money related.

Ike Taylor arm tackles Brandon Marshall last week against the Dolphins
Marc Serota/Getty Images As it's called in Sports Marketing, "The Escalator Concept" is what is being used in this instance. The concept is simple, you have different levels of fans, from casual at the bottom to avid at the top. By scoring more points and having more high-flying action, the NFL wants to get the "casual" fans to the top of the escalator. This is a bad thing because you will lose more avid fans than you will gain casual ones.

Let's take a look at two teams and their games from last week. First, the Pittsburgh Steelers played the Miami Dolphins. The Steelers are notorious for hitting someone in the mouth. Last week was different though.

There were several instances where the defense let up instead of putting a hit on the ball carrier. They just threw their arms at him and missed the tackle. In one instance, this cost Pittsburgh a touchdown when sure-tackling Ryan Clark completely whiffed on Davone Bess. He looked like he was playing two hand touch.

There were other plays where James Harrison admittedly let up. When asked about his least productive game of the season, he had this to say.....

"That was my least productive game this year," Harrison told Josina Anderson on Inside the NFL, "We can still play the game, but it's not the same."

Inside the NFL showed multiple plays from the Steelers-Dolphins game when Harrison appeared to slow down and avoid contact, rather than accelerate and explode into a Dolphins player. Harrison said he was thinking about a suspension on those plays.

"If I shot in there I would have probably hit helmet to helmet, and I've already got one offense," Harrison said, "So I could probably be looking at a possible suspension."

Fred Jackson breaks a tackle last week against the Ravens
Larry French/Getty Images After the game, Ray Anderson of the NFL applauded Harrison for letting up on the plays. Mike Tomlin responded:

"It would be tough for me to care less about their opinion, to be honest with you."

The other game was the Baltimore Ravens versus the Buffalo Bills. Now I will admit, as a Steelers fan, I enjoyed watching the score of this game and seeing Buffalo winning. That was until I saw the highlights.

Throughout the game, Buffalo was making plays that were only possible because Baltimore was letting up on defense. The game should not have been close. If the Ravens played "Raven Football", they would have controlled the entire game. Instead they looked to be playing softer than usual.

As much as I would love to see the Ravens lose, I want it to be the RAVENS that lose. Not some byproduct the NFL has created by taking away their biggest asset, fear.

By taking fear away from certain teams such as the Ravens and Steelers, you are taking away their bread and butter, their gameplan. That would be like telling the Colts they aren't allowed to pass, or the Dolphins they can't run the wildcat.

Both teams were very upset after the week, so watch them closely. The Steelers are taking on the New Orleans Saints in the Superdome. Without Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel, the rest of the defense will have to play like they are accustomed to and punish the Saints offense if they want to win.

The Ravens are on a bye, but it will still be interesting to play close attention to their practices this week. I expect Ray Lewis to give one of his famous passionate speeches to rally his team. He wants to play the game of football the way its supposed to be played and is sure to let his team know that you need to hit someone.

So from a Steelers fan talking to the Steelers and Ravens, play the game the way you have the last decade or so. What I saw last week was a travesty. It ruined the game and the competition. Besides, if both teams play hard, what is Roger Goodell going to do, suspend all of their players?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-30-2010, 10:26 AM
So from a Steelers fan talking to the Steelers and Ravens, play the game the way you have the last decade or so. What I saw last week was a travesty. It ruined the game and the competition. Besides, if both teams play hard, what is Roger Goodell going to do, suspend all of their players?

Don't put it past him, Goodell has shown that he is willing to fine and suspend whoever he feel likes. There's no reason to think he wouldn't suspend multiple players all at the same time if he felt like it.

It's what we've been saying since this thing started 2 weeks ago, the NFL has changed forever and it remains to be seen if we'll ever see a physical contest again like we're used to, ever.

steelersbabex25
10-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Everything in here is completely true. They're messing up the game.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-30-2010, 12:25 PM
I have called Goodell the Hitler of the NFL in the past....I can't stand him and really if he died I think I would celebrate....I know that sounds sick but I just can't stand him and really hate him that bad......He is ruining the NFL and I just don't understand why he wants to change the game so much.....The NFL was going great and didn't need to be changed......

Goodell wants to increase games in Europe which is stupid and wants to place an NFL franchise in Europe which is even more stupid......

All the rule changes and the enforcement of the rules is a joke.....

He has changed the draft times and days....Waking up every year on Sat. draft morning was like Christmas to me.......

Goodell is leading the NFL into a work stoppage which hasn't happened in 20+ years....

I know its just a game but somebody needs to take this *** clown out or he needs to be fired/replaced before he finishes his job of ruining the NFL.....

super cleats
10-30-2010, 12:31 PM
roger goddell needs to quit or die, seriously... he talks about wanting euro support..

pussifying the game isn't going to help when rugby is already large in europe... the dude is an idiot, he does some things good, but they are in the minor.... he's stupid, stupid, stupid idiot.

Speeed
10-30-2010, 01:24 PM
This might seem like an oddball comparison, but this is reminiscent of NASCAR. They changed the rules until all the cars needed to be identical in performance in every aspect. As a result, races are much closer and fans can be attracted to teams and drivers that might otherwise not ever win. Which, in theory, produces a larger fan-base.

The reality is, Goodell's new mandate will never go away. How can a new commissioner abolish a rule that on the surface, at least, is meant to keep players safe? A new commissioner might actually dole out punishment in a semblance of sanity, but for now, it seems Goodell is loosing his mind in his ivory tower.

#@#&*~ !!!!!

SteelDad
10-30-2010, 01:29 PM
This might seem like an oddball comparison, but this is reminiscent of NASCAR. They changed the rules until all the cars needed to be identical in performance in every aspect. As a result, races are much closer and fans can be attracted to teams and drivers that might otherwise not ever win. Which, in theory, produces a larger fan-base.

The reality is, Goodell's new mandate will never go away. How can a new commissioner abolish a rule that on the surface, at least, is meant to keep players safe? A new commissioner might actually dole out punishment in a semblance of sanity, but for now, it seems Goodell is loosing his mind in his ivory tower.

#@#&*~ !!!!!

This is not an odd comparison at all. You talk to any of the 'old guard' in NASCAR and they will flat out tell you that leveling out the playing field has killed racing as they knew it. Some will say it's safer, but it produces bad races and actually makes races LESS safe because the cars are so similar, they're always bunched together. Goodell is doing the same thing to the NFL. He wants parity throughout the league and wants a two-hand touch form of game that will appeal globally. He will single-handedly kill this game.

coldrolled
10-30-2010, 01:34 PM
it is lame but the defenses will change... Put the helmets on the ball... Blow guys up low. If the ball carriers lower their heads it will be the same as the harrison and cribbs hit, a solid clean hit.

igor0190
10-30-2010, 02:39 PM
If the ball carriers lower their heads it will be the same as the harrison and cribbs hit, a solid clean hit.

That's the problem... They will fine and suspend a defensive player even if the offensive player lowers his head into an oncoming hit.

RIVERS OF STEEL
10-30-2010, 02:52 PM
I know they're out there but, most steeler fans are hard core, not casual and won't stand for this ****. It will manifest itself in the immediate future if Goodwell keeps it up. I don't watch NASCRAP anymore for a reason(along with thousands of other racing fans). If you take the ragged edge off my NFL then it is bye bye.

lloydfan4life
10-30-2010, 05:18 PM
It's a complete travesty what this assclown is doing to the NFL!

airbrake 1
10-30-2010, 11:54 PM
screw the casual fan the die hard fans are what built this league to what it is today, and new die hard fans are being born everyday MR.GOODELL......NASCAR went downhill when the majority of the races went to night...i don't even know when they are on half of the time, in the late 1980's through about 2000 NASCAR went head to head with the NFL and built a huge fan base... NASCAR is the only sport that ever competed with the NFL sucessfully...i used to watch the races religiously now this year, i don't even really recall if i watched the daytona 500...RIP NASCAR

KSSteelerfan
10-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Roger Goodell is a commissioner of the worst ilk. From his days in high school as a the leader of a pack of fantasy flag football playing nerds; to his college days spent as a cheerleader on the sidelines; to his aspirations to be the WORST commissioner ever in the NFL; you can see the byproduct of his beliefs to get revenge on all of the jocks that picked on him as an equipment manager. Imagine this ownership carrying waterboy with his H2O strapped on his back thinking that football is way too violent. "Something must be done about this atrocity," he declares to himself; while tasting his koolaid of loathing for hard -hitting smash mouth football. In the world which is "Rogers World" he dreams one day of a world where there is....gasp...parity amongst all teams, hordes of casual fans ringing the cash register at the NFL turnstyle at the risk of driving away the most die hard fan ;and an evil desire to "dumb down" football for the casual fan and turn it into a wimpish version of flag football.

Now he realizes with the power he has that his dreams will finally come to fruition. oh the humanity...to take a sport such as this and turn it into something that the die hard fan no longer recognizes. What will this Snydley Whiplash of a commish do next? Turn tail-gating events into Martha Stewart pick-nicks? I shudder to think my fellow black and gold fans!!