PDA

View Full Version : What should the game plan be vs the Saints?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Since the Saints are banged up currently with injuries to their defense, logically if I'm Arians I would be going after them all day long and testing out every angle of the defense, especially the passing game. Open it up, go down field to Wallace or Sanders, hit Hines on the underneath and mid route stuff. Pretty go after right out of the gate and see if they are up to it.

Knowing our OC's mentality though he'll come out with a run, run, pass mentality and the most vanilla philosophy possible :evilshake: I would love to see us actually game plan for somebody rather than just "do our own thing" every week. It's all well and good to do what you do best but man actually putting together a plan to attack a teams weaknesses would be so refreshing.

But I digress...on the defense, if I am Lebeau I come out firing and blitzing every which way possible to get in Brees' face. You can't just sit back and play coverage and hope you can hold up. Brees is like Manning and Brady, if you give him time he will kill but if you get in his face you can force mistakes.

Scorp
10-29-2010, 11:32 AM
The game plan is pure, plain and simple brothers and sisters. In the 1st quarter we kick some ***, then in the 2nd quarter we whip some *** and then in the 3rd quarter we stomp some *** and in the 4th quarter we beat some ***. Steelers win baby.

igor0190
10-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Aggressive on D with little respect for their run game...

Exploit their secondary early, get a lead and then shove it down their throat with Mendy and Redman. Little bit of playaction to put the game out of reach.

LatrobePA
10-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Simple: SMASH MOUTH FOOTBALL, PITTSBURGH STYLE <bettis>

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Another one that should be obvious is converting red zone opportunities into TD's. We've been good in the redzone since Ben came back and that needs to continue this weekend. It's alot easier to play defense with a lead than it is when you're in a dog fight for 4 quarters.

jnes1216
10-29-2010, 12:29 PM
I would like to see the run game become more effective than last week. Specifically attacking the outside/off tackle runs. This will keep our time of possession up and the ball out of Brees' hands.

Defensively, like everyone else, pressure Brees with blitzes.

I think the Saints try to pull off some "trick" plays on Halloween night whether on offense or special teams. Stay focused early, and don't let these plays get the crowd into it.

JensK
10-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Put up more points than they do!

chisteeler
10-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out!

Moondog
10-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Aggressive on D with little respect for their run game...

Exploit their secondary early, get a lead and then shove it down their throat with Mendy and Redman. Little bit of playaction to put the game out of reach.

Took the words right out of my typing fingers.

BLACKnGOLD58
10-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Sorry everyone, but as long as we have Arians, our offense will never be as versatile and tough to defend as it could be.....I'm expecting more **** poor offensive play calling by the one they call Bruce.....Lebeau needs to confuse and pressure Brees all night long.....none of that prevent BS

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2010, 03:55 PM
I would like to see the run game become more effective than last week. Specifically attacking the outside/off tackle runs. This will keep our time of possession up and the ball out of Brees' hands.

Defensively, like everyone else, pressure Brees with blitzes.

I think the Saints try to pull off some "trick" plays on Halloween night whether on offense or special teams. Stay focused early, and don't let these plays get the crowd into it.

They'll definitely try and establish the running game, but it's effectiveness has been lowered since Ben came back it seems. They still run, or try too, but it for whatever reason it hasn't been as successful. Oddly enough when we had no real QB because Ben was out, teams would try and stop the run and Mendy was all over field gaining 100+ yards every week through the first 4 weeks. Then Ben comes back, we try and run and nothing happens.

coldrolled
10-29-2010, 04:11 PM
No word on Al Woods playing.. but is it possible he is helping Ben with some of the Saints Defensive Secrets? I would say helping arians but nothing can help him...

LatrobePA
10-29-2010, 04:20 PM
I would say helping arians but nothing can help him...

LOL!!!:banging:

Goodfrom55
10-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Well, it's indoors on a fast track, if I was the OC I would definitely stretch the defense with Wallace using play action on 1st down and run the ball. Look for bubble screens if the DB's are playing off, and conventional screen if the Saints become blita happy. Because it's indoors, I would (if necessary) look for a trick play / reverse pass with Randle El much like in SB XL. Win time of posession, with my foot on the throttle until there are about 7 minutes left in the 4th quarter, then take the air out of the ball.

Defensively, look to collapse the pocket up the middle so Brees has nowhere to step up and avoid the outside rush. Execute some run blitzes and stay disciplined against the cutbak running plays. Saints 3 losses were against physical defenses (Atl, Cle, Ari), so if the Steelers can pressure Brees without giving up the big play, Steelers have a great chance to win this game.

steelers4life66
10-29-2010, 08:14 PM
The only thing I'm concerned with is Brees F'ing up our secondary. I'd like to see Dick leave Troy in coverage cuz I think our LB's can stop the run on their own. Aslong as the O keeps Ben upright I don't see any problems on offense even if its a run, run, pass game.

coach
10-29-2010, 10:20 PM
I think NO is wounded and Brees does have the ability to heat up sothis game could go horribly wrong if we turn it over or go 3 and out and give him too much time to pull something off.
I would go for a simple offensive plan with lots of runs and short passes but throw the bal deep one once in while as we all know they will.

On D, I really want to see more pressure. I was disappointed we couldn't do more against Miami.

I don't think I will be in the mood to watch that type of game where the D almost gets to the QB, who gets the ball to a WR or TE who was plastered, but still made a catch, and a 3rd down conversion on 3rd and long.

I am really going to be watching Hood this game.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-30-2010, 12:08 AM
With the Saints run defense ranked so badly, we need to run to set up the pass

Phdboy2020
10-30-2010, 12:19 AM
Yea gettin pressure on Brees is goin to be key for this game. If we fail to get to Brees, then he will make us pay for sure. We need to get great pressure with our front 7 b/c our secondary should be busy all night. Go Steelers!!!

coach
10-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Brees can get the ball out quick. They are going to come out strong given they got the boots put to them last week. I think there will be 2 keys, turnovers (everybody knows that already) and time of posession. I would love it if we got the early lead and forced them to throw than the other way around. Finish the game with a lead and just take the air out of the ball.

coldrolled
10-30-2010, 02:43 PM
ben needs to go no huddle often...

super cleats
10-30-2010, 04:23 PM
we need to do what we did against san diego last year... perfect game plan... shut down a very good offense, but this time keep a LEAD.