PDA

View Full Version : Harrison blames NFL for "my least productive game"

Big T
10-28-2010, 02:04 PM
James Harrison blames NFL for "my least productive game"
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 28, 2010 11:36 AM ET

Steelers linebacker James Harrison drew praise from the league office this week for not committing any illegal hits in Sunday's game against the Dolphins. But Harrison says he had to sacrifice his performance to play the game the NFL wants him to play.

"That was my least productive game this year," Harrison told Josina Anderson on Inside the NFL. "We can still play the game, but it's not the same."

Inside the NFL showed multiple plays from the Steelers-Dolphins game when Harrison appeared to slow down and avoid contact, rather than accelerate and explode into a Dolphins player. Harrison said he was thinking about a suspension on those plays.

"If I shot in there I would have probably hit helmet to helmet, and I've already got one offense," Harrison said. "So I could probably be looking at a possible suspension."

But while Harrison seems to think that's a bad thing, the folks in the league office would say that Harrison is proving their point, and the increased emphasis on illegal hits has resulted in a repeat offender changing his playing style.

Harrison, who on Wednesday was credited with an interception that the official statistician had failed to record on Sunday, says he isn't worried about the long-term health implications of having so many head-first collisions on the field.

"To be honest with you, I'm not too concerned about it," Harrison said. "If that happens it's gonna suck, but hopefully I'll have made enough money and put in enough time that my kids don't have to worry about it. And if I've got to go through a little bit of hell so they don't have to, I'm fine with that."

That so many NFL players are unconcerned about their health after the game is exactly why the league says it has to protect players from each other, and from themselves.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/28/james-harrison-blames-nfl-for-my-least-productive-game/

BLACKnGOLD58
10-28-2010, 02:17 PM
haha that ball clearly bounced off of the ground into Harrison's hands.....but it really sucks that Harrison isn't playing to his full potential because roger goofball fined him 75k, and word on his appeal?

Big T
10-28-2010, 02:43 PM
haha that ball clearly bounced off of the ground into Harrison's hands.....but it really sucks that Harrison isn't playing to his full potential because roger goofball fined him 75k, and word on his appeal?

It actually should've gone down as a fumble recovery because Jason Worilds knocked the ball out before he threw it...

BlitzburghRockCity
10-28-2010, 02:54 PM
This is my concern, and everybody's with Harrison and player like him. James was clearly not in his element and it was noticeable. Will he be able to rebound and play like we need him too or are we destined to be turned into just another vanilla, soft, defense?

harpo
10-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Ok, where did he say that the NFL is responsible for his least productive game?

chisteeler
10-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Ok, where did he say that the NFL is responsible for his least productive game?

But Harrison says he had to sacrifice his performance to play the game the NFL wants him to play.

Does that help? :yellowthumb: If not, it was certainly implied that the NFL is responsible.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Correct, Big T is implying that James is blaming the NFL, based on his comments. It's somewhat tongue and cheek, but basically he's saying the NFL has changed how he plays and it won't be the same again.

Harrison is right that the game has changed in as quick as just 1 week. I hope the NFL is proud of themselves because they have officially hampered every defense in the NFL just so they can have their precious touchdowns more easily.

BLACKnGOLD58
10-28-2010, 04:13 PM
It actually should've gone down as a fumble recovery because Jason Worilds knocked the ball out before he threw it...

You're right, I didn't realize it until I watched it a second time

LatrobePA
10-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Booo Hooo James, get over it man!! Play 92 style football and for goodness sake, stop talking to the media!!!

steelersbabex25
10-28-2010, 06:56 PM
I blame the NFL too. He did play differently and it was noticeable..and that annoys me.

StlersGuy
10-28-2010, 07:06 PM
He needs to put it out of his head and play the way he always did before.

(Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk Pro)

andyg1984
10-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Booo Hooo James, get over it man!! Play 92 style football and for goodness sake, stop talking to the media!!!

yes, seriously, avoid the media .. words like that are going to lead to quick decisions if we hit a gray area down the road ..

Real Deal Steel
10-29-2010, 01:51 AM
He needs to put it out of his head and play the way he always did before.

I agree with this. He needs to go around and throw himself around like he used to. All he has to do is put his arms in front of him where he hits people with his forarm instead of his helmet. If I were Tomlin, that's what I'd tell him.

SteelDad
10-29-2010, 11:44 AM
I agree he needs to move on, but the fact the league pointed out its' delight that he 'let up' on several occasions is disturbing. Tomlin eluded to this in his press conference this week. My bigger concern is what anyone who ever played football knows, if you aren't going 100% your risks of injury go up too. You can't 'go easy' in this game so I hope JH returns to his usual style of play. "Go hard or go home."

Moondog
10-29-2010, 01:27 PM
I feel like it's time to let it go. Harrison seems to be allowing this to affect him too much.

xBlitzBurghx
10-29-2010, 02:30 PM
He did and needs to go back to lighting people up!!!!!!!!!!

Goodfrom55
10-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Obviously James Harrison is the man, but he needs to shut up and play football. You oick out an aiming point on a ball carrier or receiver. If they duck in the process to "protect themselves" and the chest shot becomes a head shot, that's on the offensive player.

If all defenders would simply demonstrate good fundamental tackling, there would be no reason to launch (yourself) at a ball carrier. 1st guy hits, and wraps him up, everyone else goes for the football.

steelfury455
10-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Can ya blame him? Guys like him and other top tier LBs are no doubt thinking or saying the same thing. Yeah, he should be less vocal about it but dude is speaking the truth. Amazin how one weekend of more than normal big hits turns the game into near crap. Harrison will return to his game when the media stops barking about it...