PDA

View Full Version : Not concerned about the Steelers being ranked 24th against the pass...

Troyisabeast_43
10-27-2010, 04:13 PM
I had mentioned in another thread that I am concerned with the Steelers ability to shut down the pass and I do think that Brees could have a very good game throwing the football against this Steelers secondary. However, I am not totally concerned that they are ranked 24th against the pass and allow over 250 passing yards a game those stats dont really mean much to me on defense. The only stat I look at and a stat that I think means more then anything is points allowed and that's the only stat on defense that I think truly matters. The Steelers have only allowed 82 points in 6 games on defense which is an average of just over 13 in a half points per game. Now granted the Steelers really havent faced an offense so far this season as potent as Brees and the Saints but what the point statistic shows me is the Steelers defense is bending but not breaking and is keeping teams out of the end zone a great deal and holding them to FG'S more times then not. The Steelers defense has only allowed 6 TD's so far this season and 3 of those 6 were in garbage time with soft coverages late in games against the Titans,Bucs,and Browns when the Steelers had the game well in hand and pretty much went into prevent defense mode. Simply put the Saints I believe will have to be able to score TD's in this game in order to win. If they have to keep settling for FG's more times then not and not take advantage of their opportunities to put 6 on the board then Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers offense will burn the Saints defense and will score enough TD's against the Saints defense I believe to win this game.

One thing the Saints will not be able to do even with Aaron Smith out of the lineup for the Steelers is run the ball. Michael Turner,Chris Johnson,Ray Rice,Peyton Hillis,and Ronnie Brown couldnt run it against the Steelers and those are some of the bests running backs in the league. So I doubt that Ivory or Betts whichever one they use more will be able to run the ball with any kind of consistency enough to be successful. The Saints best chance to win this game is pretty much for Brees to spread the Steelers out and spread the field every down and series and throw the ball around 50 times. I think if the Saints continue to try and run the ball in this game and think they can have success doing so it's going to backfire on them.

Scorp
10-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Are the Saints playing the way the Steelers played last year? We should walk out with another win.

Troyisabeast_43
10-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Are the Saints playing the way the Steelers played last year? We should walk out with another win.

That's still irrelevant. The Saints despite what they have looked like this year losing to Arizona and last week to the Browns are still a pretty damn good team and are playing at home and need to win this game. The Steelers do have a very good chance to win this game I believe but they will need to play very very well in order to do just that...The Saints will give the Steelers all they can handle it wont be an easy task going into that Superdome and walking out of their with a win...

jnes1216
10-27-2010, 05:11 PM
I wonder if the desparate Saints pull out some more tricks? Another onside kick for instance?

nuclearchihuahuas
10-27-2010, 06:58 PM
That's still irrelevant. The Saints despite what they have looked like this year losing to Arizona and last week to the Browns are still a pretty damn good team and are playing at home and need to win this game. The Steelers do have a very good chance to win this game I believe but they will need to play very very well in order to do just that...The Saints will give the Steelers all they can handle it wont be an easy task going into that Superdome and walking out of their with a win...

That is it exactly! They really need this win and are going to work really hard to get it

super cleats
10-27-2010, 08:01 PM
i think yards per average is the best defensive stat...

and watch that defnsive points of 82 sky rocket when we face the saints and the patriots in the back to back weeks...

BlitzburghRockCity
10-27-2010, 08:06 PM
This will be a test, I think we are vulnerable to the run without Smith in there. It happened last year so until we prove otherwise I'm not convinced yet. Lebeau will rotate lineman out to compensate for Smith's loss, but Hood will be the starter. He's got a year under his belt now and if he's going to prove he's worth that first round money then now is the time. Run defense is all about holding your blocks and forcing the runner to go where you want him to go so the LB's can make the tackle.

The pass defense is a concern but not a HUGE one right now, mainly because so far we've been able to tighten up in the redzone and keep teams out. The Saints are a big play offense, Brees loves to go down field to his targets and if we don't tackle immediately he'll torch us. Coverage has to be spot on, tackle the ball carrier immediately but most important is get to the QB. Our defense is always based on the pass rush, if we don't get there we're generally in trouble.

Phdboy2020
10-30-2010, 06:38 PM
I am a little concerned with our pass D. Sure, we dont give up many points but imagine if our secondary was better vs the pass. We would freakishly good. However, when u play as aggressive as a defense as we play, u can expect to give up some yardage. It just seems that sometimes our secondary looks lost. If we can address the secondary is the draft or through free agency, there will be no question as to who the best defense in the land is.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-31-2010, 11:57 PM
Hey 43, I think it's time to be concerned now bro. Brees was 20-22 in the second half and he was over 300 yards tonight. Secondary guessed several times tonight, gambled and consequently failed. They allowed too many big plays.

Tonight they allowed dinks and dunks, and basically the Saints used the short passing game and intermediate passing game to act as a running game and while usually not effective against us, tonight it was.

super cleats
11-01-2010, 12:45 AM
lebeau isn't very good at defending the pass, call 2008 a fluke year, the other pass defense stats arn't pretty by him (overrated) yeah, flame and hate on me for that.

I told everyone we needed to draft Earl Thomas, he's done wonders for that seattle defense and if he was in instead of polamalu or clark on some plays he would of made a difference, he's going to be the best safety in the league for a very long time when he's very mature, oh wait he already is.

btw when ike has an interception this season the steelers are 0-2 lol

here is the pass stats from his years as our defensive co-ordinator, he's very solid at stopping the run, but people like rex ryan and greg williams far superior at preventing big pass plays, or get a lot of turnovers because of their aggression.

2004 - 177.2
2005 - 198.0
2006 - 212.1
2007 - 176.5
2008 - 156.9
2009 - 215.4
2010 - 243.1

LOL and people though our pass defense from 2009 was bad, look at 2010, we obviously need a new corner or free safety that can COVER.

jnes1216
11-01-2010, 12:58 AM
lebeau isn't very good at defending the pass, call 2008 a fluke year, the other pass defense stats arn't pretty by him (overrated) yeah, flame and hate on me for that.

I told everyone we needed to draft Earl Thomas, he's done wonders for that seattle defense and if he was in instead of polamalu or clark on some plays he would of made a difference, he's going to be the best safety in the league for a very long time when he's very mature, oh wait he already is.

here is the pass stats from his years as our defensive co-ordinator, he's very solid at stopping the run, but people like rex ryan and greg williams far superior at preventing big pass plays, or get a lot of turnovers because of their aggression.

2004 - 177.2
2005 - 198.0
2006 - 212.1
2007 - 176.5
2008 - 156.9
2009 - 215.4
2010 - 243.1

LOL and people though our pass defense from 2009 was bad, look at 2010, we obviously need a new corner or free safety that can COVER.

If we move up to draft Thomas then we don't get Pouncey and our QB is in traction. Can't get all the studs every draft. Our pass defense has inflated numbers because we stuff the run its a catch 22.

super cleats
11-01-2010, 01:00 AM
If we move up to draft Thomas then we don't get Pouncey and our QB is in traction. Can't get all the studs every draft. Our pass defense has inflated numbers because we stuff the run its a catch 22.

its not a catch 22 because if Rex Ryan and the Jets can do it in their first year together, why the hell can't we, 245 yards per game is EMBARRASING numbers, I'm ashamed to say I'm a Steelers fan that loves defense, it's poor.

It's clear, I don't care if we lose every game, I would love to draft Patrick Peterson.

And you don't get many Earl Thomas', he made Philip Rivers, one of the best quarterbacks in the league, arguably better than Ben was schooled by Earl in like his THIRD game, don't get me wrong Pouncey was a great draftee, but if we had moved up to get Earl, we would of won this game.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-01-2010, 08:18 AM

2004 - 177.2
2005 - 198.0
2006 - 212.1
2007 - 176.5
2008 - 156.9
2009 - 215.4
2010 - 243.1

Those stats, up until last year are not bad?? Last year we had no Troy and no Aaron Smith and Gay was terrible. This year they are struggling some but it's not over yet. Any team that holds a QB to under 200 yds passing is a good defense. You don't expect to get much better than that. Even the worst QB's in the league are going to be complete some at some point. Comon dude, seriously?

A Lebeau defense is based on the fact that the DB's will play off to prevent the big play because they don't feel that you can consistently move the ball down the field dinking and dunking without the defense forcing a punt or creating a turnover. I'd say it's pretty damn well over the years. Blitzburgh will normally come up big when it needs too, but occasionally they don't make quite enough plays. That's when you need the offense to help atleast alittle and last night they didn't do jack.

I would like to see the DB's play some press coverage more myself, but the nature of the 34 zone blitz doesn't call for that very often. If you think you know more than Lebeau then by all means go apply for his job! :evilshake:

coldrolled
11-01-2010, 09:42 AM
if arians can't sustain drives our Defense gets weaker and weaker on the pass rush as the game moves on.. we then cant stop the QB, they have all day to pass and we start giving up the yards.. at that point in the game.. since we insist on keeping arians, we need to start rotating the pass rushers... worilds needs to play, sly needs to get in, fox needs to help out. we running the old men the whole game with no relief.. so we screw ourselves on both sides of the ball and eventually lose the game.

super cleats
11-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Those stats, up until last year are not bad?? Last year we had no Troy and no Aaron Smith and Gay was terrible. This year they are struggling some but it's not over yet. Any team that holds a QB to under 200 yds passing is a good defense. You don't expect to get much better than that. Even the worst QB's in the league are going to be complete some at some point. Comon dude, seriously?

A Lebeau defense is based on the fact that the DB's will play off to prevent the big play because they don't feel that you can consistently move the ball down the field dinking and dunking without the defense forcing a punt or creating a turnover. I'd say it's pretty damn well over the years. Blitzburgh will normally come up big when it needs too, but occasionally they don't make quite enough plays. That's when you need the offense to help atleast alittle and last night they didn't do jack.

I would like to see the DB's play some press coverage more myself, but the nature of the 34 zone blitz doesn't call for that very often. If you think you know more than Lebeau then by all means go apply for his job! :evilshake:

i prefer greg williams style, i always go aggresive on defense.... always..... you get a lot of turnovers like last night, much more physical.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-01-2010, 02:09 PM
We were leading the league in takeaways going into last nights game. Nobody plays more physical than a Lebeau defense. Even if you beat us you're going to get whacked time after time. Normally that style of play becomes most effective in the 2nd half when players start hearing foot steps and QB are hurrying more and making mistakes.

Lebeau's defense overall is as effective if not more effective than anybody's in the league. It's not perfect, nobody's is, but I'd rather than our 34 than a 43 any day.

super cleats
11-01-2010, 03:54 PM
We were leading the league in takeaways going into last nights game. Nobody plays more physical than a Lebeau defense. Even if you beat us you're going to get whacked time after time. Normally that style of play becomes most effective in the 2nd half when players start hearing foot steps and QB are hurrying more and making mistakes.

Lebeau's defense overall is as effective if not more effective than anybody's in the league. It's not perfect, nobody's is, but I'd rather than our 34 than a 43 any day.

i like the 3-4 much better, isn't that the opposite of what happened, we played very well but crumbled in the second half...

i still think ike taylor is overrated, we need a cover corner.... the cornerback class is very deep and has a ton of first rounders, maybe at least 4-6 corners in the first round, and maybe a total of 8 defensive backs.

Zachintosh66
11-01-2010, 04:06 PM
i prefer greg williams style, i always go aggresive on defense.... always..... you get a lot of turnovers like last night, much more physical.

You didnt even know who Greg Williams was until last year...

Troyisabeast_43
11-01-2010, 04:34 PM
The defense played about as good as you could play last night I thought. They gave up a few big plays but they still held the Saints out of the end zone until early in the 4th quarter. They also created two turnovers and set the Steelers offense up a bunch of times with good field position to get some points on the board. This was a game much like the defense did early in the year where it picked up the offense the offense needed to return the favor and pick up the defense and they didnt do it. The Steelers were only going to hold a good QB like Drew Brees down for so long before he found some holes in the secondary and put the ball in the end zone which is exactly what he did there twice in the 4th quarter. The Steelers had too many good chances on offense to get points and gain some momentum and put the Saints on the ropes and they failed to do so time and time again and they paid for it at the end of the day.

madtowndrunkard
11-01-2010, 05:11 PM
The defense played about as good as you could play last night I thought. They gave up a few big plays but they still held the Saints out of the end zone until early in the 4th quarter. They also created two turnovers and set the Steelers offense up a bunch of times with good field position to get some points on the board. This was a game much like the defense did early in the year where it picked up the offense the offense needed to return the favor and pick up the defense and they didnt do it. The Steelers were only going to hold a good QB like Drew Brees down for so long before he found some holes in the secondary and put the ball in the end zone which is exactly what he did there twice in the 4th quarter. The Steelers had too many good chances on offense to get points and gain some momentum and put the Saints on the ropes and they failed to do so time and time again and they paid for it at the end of the day.

The defense had a win gift wraped and free for the taking....the offense just needed to take it. They didn't. 1 fumble later and the game is out of reach. If that possession just ended in a FG we likely win the game. The offense could not keep the Saints off the field. Arian's unit failed again.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-02-2010, 07:56 AM
i like the 3-4 much better, isn't that the opposite of what happened, we played very well but crumbled in the second half...

i still think ike taylor is overrated, we need a cover corner.... the cornerback class is very deep and has a ton of first rounders, maybe at least 4-6 corners in the first round, and maybe a total of 8 defensive backs.

Lebeau loves Ike Taylor, I don't know why people hate on him so much. Lebeau will take a DB that is a sure tackler any day over one that just covers. This whole "shut down cover corner" stuff is so overrated. You want a CB that can not only defense the pass but also tackle well. There aren't many of those in the league right now, if any at all.

As far as the pass defense, I think they played great in the first half. They made some plays in the second half to keep us in the game but ultimately when you give up 300 yds and 2 TD's there is still something wrong. Against the Saints we rarely blitzed, instead choosing to drop into coverage and play a lot of nickle and we still couldn't stop him. The pass rush was getting to Brees enough to make him uncomfortable but being that he is one of the best he was able to adapt.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on these guys, Brees eats up defenses for a living so it's no surprise he got after our secondary. Troy made some bad guesses Sunday night and it cost us. Gay got torched on a few plays and Clark whiffed on several tackles. Overall the tackling was pretty good but the coverage and leaving way too much open at the wrong times just killed us. On one of the long pass plays to Colston I think it was, or Meachem, they were so wide open you couldn't even see a Steeler anywhere when he caught it.

LatrobePA
11-02-2010, 08:57 AM
25th now....

Palmer and the two idiots will try to sink us more, lets hope they can get pressure on him early and often...

Raleigh Steel
11-02-2010, 10:47 AM
I got to go to the steelers/ravens game this year and what i watched had me worried. our CB's play way to far off. opposing teams, if they are patient can 7-yard-out us all day long. the steelers brought a ton of heat in that game and flacco got the ball out quickly. since then the steelers have brought less pressure and covered more.

against miami, the secondary did a great job, but henne had all day to throw...you can only cover for so long.

same thing last night...we brought a lot of pressure in the first half and very little in the second half...results?

also, b-fad is just as bad as gay was last year covering. he can tackle a bit better but that's all.

if we are gonna bring pressure (which i would love to see...attack, attack, attack!) we need to play tight coverage and force the QB to eat it or force it.

i've been wondering this since last year. when tomlin was hired a lot of people talked about moving to a 4-3 or staying a 3-4. a lot suggested that maybe they would implement some sort of hybrid. i'm wondering if any of that is going on and it's becoming a disaster, like our OC and his game planning.