PDA

View Full Version : Who gets cut?

coldrolled
10-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Tough decision looming for Steelers
October 26th, 2010 The Steelers’ decision to keep injured defensive end Aaron Smith on their 53-man roster will force them to make a tough call later this week.

With signing another defensive lineman a necessity -- and all signs point to the Steelers promoting tackle Steve McLendon from their practice squad for the third time this season -- a difficult cut will have to be made.

The Steelers could release one of their cornerbacks but they used a third-round draft pick on Keenan Lewis in 2009, and they think rookie Crezdon Butler has the potential to start one day.

Making Anthony Madison the odd man out is risky as he is one of their best special teams players, and no one needs reminded of how the Steelers’ kick coverage units cost them dearly last season.

That same argument can be applied to Arnaz Battle, who plays sparingly as a wide receiver but is valuable on special teams.

The Steelers could cut offensive tackle Tony Hills and try to sneak him onto their practice squad but another team might snatch him up if he becomes available.

The same is true of rookie outside linebacker Thaddeus Gibson and first-year running back Jonathan Dwyer.

Whatever decision the Steelers make will come with some risk, but it is probably worth it if there is a decent chance that Smith returns at some point this season.

igor0190
10-27-2010, 09:50 AM
The NFL seriously needs to consider increasing the size of their rosters by a few players. Considering the rate at which injuries occur in this league.
It's good for the fans when you have the same players on the same team for extended periods too.

greennick
10-27-2010, 10:13 AM
The NFL seriously needs to consider increasing the size of their rosters by a few players. Considering the rate at which injuries occur in this league.
It's good for the fans when you have the same players on the same team for extended periods too.

Definitely. It is not like players will be able to be hidden away forever. If they were any good a team would entice them over with the offer of more game time.

LatrobePA
10-27-2010, 11:50 AM

I disagree, now that they took hitting out of the sport less players will be hurt!! :popcorn:

lloydfan4life
10-27-2010, 12:24 PM
:scratch: no mention of Randel El hittin' the bricks? :duh:

nuclearchihuahuas
10-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Battle needs to go.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-27-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't want anything to screw with our ST; we've suffered through years of inept coverage units. I would say at this point if they are going to cut someone, then Dwyer would be an odd man out IMO.

lloydfan4life
10-27-2010, 01:07 PM
Can we nominate Arians as a candidate? :dunno:

coldrolled
10-27-2010, 01:18 PM
PS is for young guys...

they need a Temp IR for 33+ players. Limit 3 per season.

lets the old guys play a bit longer in their career, and lets a few young guys play more for a few weeks to start theirs..

igor0190
10-27-2010, 01:20 PM
PS is for young guys...
they need a Temp IR for 33+ players. Limit 3 per season.
lets the old guys play a bit longer in their career, and lets a few young guys play more for a few weeks to start theirs..

:plus1:

:plus1: for Battle getting cut... if he can't beat out Randle El, then he has to be the odd man out

andyg1984
10-27-2010, 01:33 PM
:scratch: no mention of Randel El hittin' the bricks? :duh:

i know, who really cares about battle too ???

jnes1216
10-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Battle could be one of those guys, like Anthony Madison, who hardly gets his name called but is a solid special teamer. I haven't keyed on him during the games, but it's just a guess. Everest brought him in from San Fran. so he must like him. It's really a tough call who to cut.
I might have to agree with Dwyer, he slipped in the draft some so other teams may not be interested if we have ideas on moving him to practice squad.

SnakeEyes43
10-27-2010, 02:31 PM
With Ben back, I think Dwyer is expendible. Battle and Madison are valuable on special teams, yes that is important...remember last year. If Mendy stays healthy, we will be more than fine with him, Redman, and Moore. This move gives our ST more talent and shouldn't effect the team at all, barring injuries to our RB core of course.

coldrolled
10-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Battle could be one of those guys, like Anthony Madison, who hardly gets his name called but is a solid special teamer. I haven't keyed on him during the games, but it's just a guess. Everest brought him in from San Fran. so he must like him. It's really a tough call who to cut.
I might have to agree with Dwyer, he slipped in the draft some so other teams may not be interested if we have ideas on moving him to practice squad.

the redskins would snatch dwyer in a minute along with a few more teams that have hurting RB's.. the browns blew their hardesty pick, they would love to have dwyer's to fix that error in draft judgement. plus they keep moving RB's..

Madison or Battle... I hope smith can get back.. hate to waste a young player on a wish and a prayer.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Battle must go...and this will help AB see the field soon also...

jnes1216
10-27-2010, 02:46 PM
the redskins would snatch dwyer in a minute along with a few more teams that have hurting RB's.. the browns blew their hardesty pick, they would love to have dwyer's to fix that error in draft judgement. plus they keep moving RB's..

Madison or Battle... I hope smith can get back.. hate to waste a young player on a wish and a prayer.

Let the Skins take Frank the tank:lol:

coldrolled
10-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Let the Skins take Frank the tank:lol:

Frank may be back after arians is gone... Dont give up on the fullbacks yet....

Did you see our FB's last week? 3rd and goal on the 6... 5 wide baby... ooops... Spaeth didnt catch it... field goal...

jnes1216
10-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Frank may be back after arians is gone... Dont give up on the fullbacks yet....

I hope your keyboard shocked you when you typed "Frank may be back". :grin1: I would like a good fullback. Summers just aint it imo.

You do get a gold star for the after Arians is gone part though!!!!

coldrolled
10-27-2010, 03:30 PM
I hope your keyboard shocked you when you typed "Frank may be back". :grin1: I would like a good fullback. Summers just aint it imo.

You do get a gold star for the after Arians is gone part though!!!!

I like our rookies.... Frank never ran the ball.. i want to see him run the ball once in a regular season game. I may have to see it with the Panthers or some other team next year.. but hey, one run please.. :-)

I cant wait to see Butler beat out Gay and Keenan, but it may not happen this year.
He never has a hat on. Like Dwyer's...

BlitzburghRockCity
10-27-2010, 03:33 PM
I really think Dwyer is the obvious choice here, if one of our current RB's were to go down and be on IR, then we'd get a roster exemption and could sign another. IMO you release they guy who's not doing anything on gameday to help your cause rather than someone who's atleast contributing on ST most of the time.

Scorp
10-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Didn't we always get by no matter who we cut?

jpele
10-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Battle could be one of those guys, like Anthony Madison, who hardly gets his name called but is a solid special teamer.

1 tackle every 3 games don't know if it could be considered solid but it's consistent.
I just put his stats in another thread. Battle has an amazing 2 tackles in six games.

jnes1216
10-27-2010, 05:15 PM
1 tackle every 3 games don't know if it could be considered solid but it's consistent.
I just put his stats in another thread. Battle has an amazing 2 tackles in six games.

Maybe he has outside contain and is not letting returners get to the edge or maintains his lane discipline. So he may not have a lot of tackles/stats. I don't know. I will try to key on him this Sunday night to see. :OA02:

coldrolled
10-27-2010, 05:33 PM
just watched the replay of the miami game.. maybe we should cut dave johnson, his blocks were pathetic... maybe frank will be back :-)

greg1964
10-28-2010, 10:44 AM
The real question is were are the Steelers the strongest: (position wise)
WR: Ward, Wallace, are locks, Randle El, Sanders, Battle, Brown are part time players and ALL serve a role: Battle and Brown on special teams with El and Sanders as 3rd and 4th receives and STP: because of age and status on the team Battle would be my choice to be cut. Although I would replace El on special teams and use Sanders and/or Brown for punt and kick-off returns. and see if Sanders and/or Brown could replace El as the 3rd receiver.

DB: Taylor, McFadden Troy and Clark are locks; Madison, Lewis, Gay, Allen, Mundy, Butler. In my opinion Madison is too important on ST to cut: Lewis and Allen are starters in waiting so they stay. Gay is the 3rd CB in sub package so his stay. So that leaves Mundy and Butler so the question now becomes which on would I be lest upset to see leave: and that would be Mundy.

RB: Mendenhall, Redmen, Moore, Dwyer: Even through we have seen Dwyer since the pre-season I don't want the Steelers to expose him to the practice squad or cut him: With Moore contact being up next year Dwyer could fulfill that role next year. Keep everyone.

Steelersfan
10-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Cut Gay, he is useless. We have guys to replace what he does.

coldrolled
10-30-2010, 05:49 PM
The real question is were are the Steelers the strongest: (position wise)
WR: Ward, Wallace, are locks, Randle El, Sanders, Battle, Brown are part time players and ALL serve a role: Battle and Brown on special teams with El and Sanders as 3rd and 4th receives and STP: because of age and status on the team Battle would be my choice to be cut. Although I would replace El on special teams and use Sanders and/or Brown for punt and kick-off returns. and see if Sanders and/or Brown could replace El as the 3rd receiver.

DB: Taylor, McFadden Troy and Clark are locks; Madison, Lewis, Gay, Allen, Mundy, Butler. In my opinion Madison is too important on ST to cut: Lewis and Allen are starters in waiting so they stay. Gay is the 3rd CB in sub package so his stay. So that leaves Mundy and Butler so the question now becomes which on would I be lest upset to see leave: and that would be Mundy.

RB: Mendenhall, Redmen, Moore, Dwyer: Even through we have seen Dwyer since the pre-season I don't want the Steelers to expose him to the practice squad or cut him: With Moore contact being up next year Dwyer could fulfill that role next year. Keep everyone.

i guess you forgot LB

Phdboy2020
10-30-2010, 06:03 PM
At this point, we dont need to cut anyone in paticular b/c even though guys may not be the best on defense or offense, they could be great special team players. Our special teams has been a cause for concern the last few years, but we r gettin better and I think "misfits" r a big reason why.

super cleats
10-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Cut Gay, he is useless. We have guys to replace what he does.

Your brain is useless, perhaps your eyes, dont diss gay he has played well this season and almost won us the game against baltimore if not the ****** offense then.