PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith has surgery, but didn't go on IR

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Just got the text that he had the surgery, however the team is hopeful he might be able to return later this season so they aren't placing on IR yet. Partially torn biceps muscle; I believe the last time it was a full tear which put him on IR.

igor0190
10-26-2010, 02:05 PM
TRICEPS

Partially torn!
Get some HGH, some time in the oxygen chamber and get back out there! :lol:
Seriously though... This is all about the big picture anyways... So if we can get Smith back for the late stretch of the season and playoffs we should all be very happy! :banana:

"A torn tricep could cost Aaron this season also. If it is a minor tricep tear he could get away with rest and rehab and a recovery time of 1-4 weeks. If it is a major tear he will probably have surgery and he could be out of action from 4-6 weeks in a best case scenario. The rest of the season in a worst case scenario. "
http://pittsburghsportsbuzz.blogspot.com/2010/10/torn-tricep.html

jnes1216
10-26-2010, 02:10 PM
I thought he tore his triceps. Either way, its probably too early to see if he can come back. Give it a week and the docs can better gauge his recovery.

Hopefully special teams won't be hurt if they take someone off those coverage teams to put McClendon on active roster.

igor0190
10-26-2010, 02:20 PM
He did tear it... But it sounds as if it's not fully torn which would end his season for sure. A partial tear and he may be able to come back. Best bet regarding roster space would probably be to put him on the PUP list.... (6 weeks)

Scorp
10-26-2010, 02:48 PM
:goodpost:

coldrolled
10-26-2010, 02:59 PM
He did tear it... But it sounds as if it's not fully torn which would end his season for sure. A partial tear and he may be able to come back. Best bet regarding roster space would probably be to put him on the PUP list.... (6 weeks)

PUP Rules

* PUP list: Physically Unable to Perform -
this List designates players with serious injuries that will keep them from being able to start a season on the 53-man protected list but may be able to return to the roster during the regular season. The players must be placed on this roster at or before the league-wide 65-man summer roster cutdown to be eligible for this designation, and they must stay on this list for at least the first six weeks of the regular season. After this time teams have 3 weeks to evaluate such players after which each such player must be placed on the 53-man roster, season-ending Injured Reserve (IR) or waivers.

igor0190
10-26-2010, 03:02 PM
PUP Rules

* PUP list: Physically Unable to Perform -
this List designates players with serious injuries that will keep them from being able to start a season on the 53-man protected list but may be able to return to the roster during the regular season. The players must be placed on this roster at or before the league-wide 65-man summer roster cutdown to be eligible for this designation, and they must stay on this list for at least the first six weeks of the regular season. After this time teams have 3 weeks to evaluate such players after which each such player must be placed on the 53-man roster, season-ending Injured Reserve (IR) or waivers.

DAMN! That's not fair....
So what options do they have? Any chance of a roster exemption?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5729422

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2010, 03:10 PM
They won't get an roster exemption unless a player is on the PUP or IR. If they keep him off of IR, similar to what Cowher did with Woodson when he tore his ACL and then came back, they'll have to deal with whoever they have available now to dress on gamedays. At that point they would have to cut someone else to add another player.

I love that they aren't putting him on IR, that means we still have a chance to see him back, so obviously the doctors saw enough in the surgery to say that he could possibly come back and be effective later on.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-26-2010, 03:14 PM
The surgeons should have ran stitches through all muscle groups and attachments while they had him open so this doesn't happen again! LOL!

Seriously, I am glad he may come back--can't wait to see what Tomlin comes up with in the mean time

SteelDad
10-26-2010, 03:25 PM
If there is any question at all that he may return then leave him off IR. The guy deserves a chance to get back in there if he can by the end of the season. We will no doubt need him.

steelersbabex25
10-26-2010, 03:42 PM
The surgeons should have ran stitches through all muscle groups and attachments while they had him open so this doesn't happen again! LOL!

Seriously, I am glad he may come back--can't wait to see what Tomlin comes up with in the mean time

Or better yet, just put an iron arm on there instead, I Robot style :lol:

cmerrifield
10-26-2010, 03:50 PM
I love keeping off IR if we can. Even if it takes 10 weeks for him to recover, he would still be back for the playoffs, assuming we make them, and we would be a better D going into the playoffs with him, then without him.

Troyisabeast_43
10-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Smith if this injury is indeed 7-8 weeks could be back in time for that huge Jets game in Pittsburgh on December 19th which looks like at this point is going to have huge implications when it comes to homefield advantage and seeding in the AFC. If I am the Steelers coaching and medical staff and Smith is able to come back I am heavily targeting that Jets game as THE GAME that I want to have Aaron Smith primed and ready to come back and play in. Getting him back for the stretch run late in December for that Jets game and for the playoffs would be absolutely huge for this defense and the entire Steelers team in general...

DanRooney
10-26-2010, 10:53 PM
I have a feeling one of our rooks is going to get sent to the PS...probably Dwyer or Butler. I hope this is not the case and we cut Battle instead.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-27-2010, 12:37 AM
I have a feeling one of our rooks is going to get sent to the PS...probably Dwyer or Butler. I hope this is not the case and we cut Battle instead.

Yes! We don't need Battle but do need a DE