PDA

View Full Version : Can a gun shy Harrison, Blitzburgh, be the same?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Not many seemed to find it troubling that James Harrison acknowledged pulling up rather than tackling Miami's Ronnie Brown on a play over the middle Sunday. Larry Foote went ahead and made the tackle.
In fact, those I've heard talk about it say it was the smart thing to do by Harrison.

http://c0020036.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/images/stories/J_Allison/ED_dianasteelers102410_15.jpg
That's a clean hit: James Harrison knocks Dolphins running back Ricky Williams in the fourth quarter. Photo by Peter Diana / Post-Gazette

So, here you have a linebacker not wanting to tackle a running back because he admittedly feared the NFL crackdown on big hits? Harrison, mind you, wasn't planning on making an illegal hit on Brown. He planned to aim low. He said he was lucky he did not try to make the tackle because Brown then ducked low and it might have been a helmet to helmet collision.

So what?

Harrison made precisely the same kind of tackle against Joshua Cribbs in Heinz Field the previous week and the NFL quickly announced that it was a legal hit, even though their helmets collided. Cribbs did not complain, either; in fact, he urged his old Kent State teammate to keep playing as he always has.

But Harrison has apparently decided discretion is the better way, even if his plans are perfectly legal by the NFL books and their hanging judges.

This is what the NFL crackdown has come to: Players now fear making perfectly legal hits. It is what Art Rooney feared when he spoke to me last Thursday.

The next question for the Steelers: Is a gun-shy James Harrison as good as the one before last Tuesday, when he was fined $75,000 for a hit against Cleveland? Not if he's going to pull off making the kinds of hits he made on Cribbs, nor the kind he should have made on Ronnie Brown in Miami.

Safety Troy Polamalu also seemed to pull back on at least one tackle. It occurred in the second quarter after Chad Henne, from his own 20, completed a 17-yard pass to Brian Hartline. Polamalu had a perfect shot at Hartline and did not take it. Go back and look if you have a DVR of the game.

Has the NFL successfully helped neutralize two Pro Bowl Steelers defenders with its crackdown? It's just one week, but there is video evidence and an admittance from one that Harrison and Polamalu shied away from tackles because of it.

LatrobePA
10-26-2010, 08:33 AM
Yes the NFL has ruined a great OLB for the Steelers. He played very scared!

nuclearchihuahuas
10-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Harrison admitted the fines have changed the way he plays--lets move Harrison to end and play a 4-3--that is how badly I think the leagues fines have altered the play of defenses in the NFL--this also explains how our defense is ranked 4th when the vast majority of us seem to think we were less than stellar on pass d. Every team is in the same boat...no one wants to risk suspension or fines and until the league reaches some sort of equilibrium on this matter, offenses every where are going to be pass happy and quite successful.

coldrolled
10-26-2010, 08:44 AM
rooney needs to make a new incentive pay program starting today.

legal hits.. that are fined are totalled at the end of the year for each player...

the total is doubled and the pay program is simply called the LayingontheWood Bonus..

LarryNJ
10-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Well looks like every game was Over in the under over this week. That's what they really want, and that's what they got.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Blitzburgh defenses are all about aggressive pressure, big hits, separating the ball carrier from the ball, making him think about getting hit every time he comes across the middle or starts to run. If players like Harrison are pulling up it's going to have long term affects all over the NFL, but since we're talking about the steelers specifically, it could be disastrous.

ejsteeler
10-26-2010, 10:25 AM
The NFL they want sucks to put it plainly. It's going to get to the point where it will lose watchers. Sounds crazy, even to me, but I see it happening because they are that idiotic. :imho:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2010, 06:42 PM
If the Steelers play conservative and think too much this weekend vs the Saints it will be a long, long, day. I just hope it doesn't take them too long to adjust and figure it out.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-26-2010, 07:37 PM
I bet Arians cannot stand it too long and this game becomes a shoot out.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-26-2010, 10:42 PM
NFL players including the Steelers defense will just have to adjust.......I hate these rules and enforcement of these rules just as much as you guys, James Harrison and most of the defensive players in the NFL.......

But there is nothing we can do about it.......So Harrison and the rest of the defense better adjust or not play.......As fans we don't have to watch anymore.....

So everybody get over it....lol

Real Deal Steel
10-27-2010, 12:33 AM
I'd be interested in seeing what new tackling drills are going to be practiced going forward to combat this crap that Goodall has instituted.