BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2006, 01:12 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06346/745412-66.stm

Tuesday, December 12, 2006
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

More Coverage:

Steelers Notebook: Spawning head coaches not new thing for Cowher

Ron Cook: Porter's words go too far

Winning four of their past five games has put thoughts of making the playoffs into many a Steelers fan's head, and, perhaps, even the Steelers believe they still have a shot.

More likely, they soon will think of what might have been.

The Steelers will be eliminated from playoff contention this weekend even if they win Sunday as long as Jacksonville and Cincinnati both win, according to the NFL. The Steelers would lose tiebreakers to either team in any scenario if all three finish 9-7. Two wild-card teams make the playoffs from each conference.

Even coach Bill Cowher wondered aloud about some of his team's close losses during his news conference yesterday.

"I can think of two or three games that probably a year ago we would have won," Cowher said. "Who can say what those two or three games would create, momentum-wise, and what that creates opportunity wise?"

Forget the momentum, two or three more victories would have given the Steelers a record of 8-5 or 9-4 and in the lead for at least a wild-card playoff berth or hot on the heals of Baltimore for the AFC North Division title. Instead, they are 6-7 and must win their final three games to have a small chance at making it as a wild-card team at 9-7.

If only ...

With their hopes for a playoff berth hanging barely by a thread it's easy to look back on what might have been. Here are four games that could have changed the Steelers' season.

Sept. 24 vs. Bengals

Lost, 28-20, but outgained the Bengals, 365-246. Ricardo Colclough muffed a punt in the fourth quarter with Steelers holding a 17-14 lead. Turnovers: 5.

Oct. 22 at Falcons

Lost, 41-38, in overtime, but outgained the Falcons, 473-399. A false-start penalty kept the Steelers from attempting a winning field goal. Turnovers: 4.

Oct. 29 at Raiders

Lost, 20-13, but outgained the Raiders, 360-98. Oakland returned two interceptions for touchdowns. Turnovers: 4.

Nov. 5 vs. Broncos

Lost, 31-20, but outgained the Broncos, 499-366. The Steelers fumbled six times, losing three. Turnovers: 6.

"We understand where we are," Cowher said. "It's the same place we've been. We have no margin of error. We have three games left and three very tough opponents beginning this week with Carolina."

It's do or die, we've got to first win our game against Carolina but even that may not be enough. All we can control is ourselves so it's up to us to hold up our end of the bargain and see what happens.

Steelersfan
12-12-2006, 01:16 AM
I agree, let's just win our games and see where everything falls.

We had 19 TO's in those 4 games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is just sad.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2006, 01:22 AM
More like pathetic, disgusting, terrible and any other adjective you can think of. It's almost sickening to see how many of the losses on our record were because we flat out gave the game away.

Steelersfan
12-12-2006, 01:23 AM
I agree TG. Just didn't feel like typing all that.....lol

K Train
12-12-2006, 01:24 AM
would anyone be THAT disappointed if we finished 9-7 and missed the playoffs? i wouldnt, finishing above .500 would be amazing for starting out 2-6.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2006, 01:28 AM
Finishing 9-7 would be HUGE for us after the way we started, I totally agree. I want to make the playoffs this year, just like every year, but finishing strong is the main thing, and heading into 2007 with some type of positive edge.

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-12-2006, 02:17 AM
We could be officially eliminated this Sunday... and this is different from how many of the past Sundays??? :lol:

Koopa
12-12-2006, 02:17 AM
in my mind we are eliminated, so lets just go play spoiler the rest of the way and f'k **** up for the panthers and the bengals lol

i don't think the bengals will win monday, the colts are gonna fight to prove they ain't ****, and they still probably want to keep fighting for home field

Steelerlyn
12-12-2006, 03:31 AM
Finishing 9-7 would be HUGE for us after the way we started, I totally agree. I want to make the playoffs this year, just like every year, but finishing strong is the main thing, and heading into 2007 with some type of positive edge.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

gunnerrick
12-12-2006, 08:39 AM
I agree. I would love to see them be the spoiler. Wouldn't it be great the last game of the season Cinny needs to win to get in the playoffs and we beat them! I would love it :helmet:

rainman
12-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Making the playoffs seems like the impossible dream at this point which leads me to go back and look at our 7 losses and wonder what if...

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2006, 12:52 PM
We could be officially eliminated this Sunday... and this is different from how many of the past Sundays??? :lol:

You know he's got a point ! :lol:

AZ_Steeler
12-12-2006, 02:04 PM
If the Steelers are eliminated then they can at least play the role of spoiler and instill the thought of doubt into the heads of the Bengals and Ravens! To me that would be even better because more than likely those 2 teams will be making the playoffs or at least one of them!

K Train
12-12-2006, 04:54 PM
if cincys playoffs were on the line....and we came into cincy and demolished them and there playoff hopes in the last week of the season ahhh life would be good ruining cincys dreams 2 time in a row in the cold of january. :tt02:

Captcoolhand
12-12-2006, 05:20 PM
The way that Carolina is playing, if we loose, it's because we beat ourselves

rainman
12-12-2006, 06:20 PM
The playoffs are like the impossible dream, but stranger things have happened.
As I look back over our 7 losses I cant help thinking only if....

SteelCityMan786
12-12-2006, 07:00 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06346/745412-66.stm

It's do or die, we've got to first win our game against Carolina but even that may not be enough. All we can control is ourselves so it's up to us to hold up our end of the bargain and see what happens.

That's for sure. But remember. NO SIXTH SEED HAS WON THE SUPER BOWL! lol. WRONG!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2006, 07:49 PM
if cincys playoffs were on the line....and we came into cincy and demolished them and there playoff hopes in the last week of the season ahhh life would be good ruining cincys dreams 2 time in a row in the cold of january. :tt02:

Hell yes it would, what an awesome feeling it would be !!! WE can only hope it comes down to that when we get there so we can stick it to their asses again ! :tt02:

BBG7
12-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Looking back at those games are hard, but anyone that knows me knows that it will take being mathmatically eliminated until I give up on the year. If this isn't our year though...I would love the team to take the little smirks off the Bungals though.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-16-2006, 12:45 AM
This week is just like any other in the last few weeks, we're still alive barely, no matter how remote...but please just let us finish out this year 9-7 and go out on a strong note.

Rabidfan
12-16-2006, 08:47 PM
This is the way I see it for the Steelers; you guys will be eliminated at some point but I think the Steelers can beat the Broncos and Raiders. As for the Falcons and Bengals, it depends upon which teams show up.

If the Bengals offense shows up then you're screwed, same thing with the Falcons. If the Steeler D gets healthy enough I can see you guys beating the Broncos, Raiders, and Falcons but I think the Bengals will win their game.

Hey, 3 out of 4 would not be bad! Though it might not be enough to get you into the post season!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-16-2006, 10:23 PM
Dude you need to put down the beer and crack pipe and go check your schedule, we already played all those teams :evilshake:

House of Steel
12-16-2006, 10:52 PM
ROTFLMAO. I think we got ourselves a Crash Test Dummy in here.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-16-2006, 11:28 PM
:iagree: :iagree: This is your brain...this is your brain on....

House of Steel
12-17-2006, 12:16 AM
I couldn't resist :hilarious:

Captcoolhand
12-17-2006, 08:09 AM
CHARLOTTE, N.C. This is the week that can officially end the Carolina Panthers' season.
A win over the Pittsburgh Steelers would keep Carolina mathematically alive for a playoff spot. But a loss would certainly cement the Panthers' status as one of the biggest busts of 2006.

The Steelers have rallied after dropping six of their first eight games, and now find themselves in the same position as the Panthers. They needing to close the season on a three-game winning streak to have any chance at the postseason. But that's far more problematic in the tougher A-F-C.
Seems to me that both teams are playing for the same Equation:scratch: An negative number will end anyones mathematical hopes!:2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-17-2006, 10:15 AM
NO doubt, if we don't win today any faint flicker will be gone..it's do or die this afternoon so we need come out and leave it all on the field.