PDA

View Full Version : NFL sends out memo to teams...defenses give up a lot of points this weekend

Real Deal Steel
10-25-2010, 11:22 PM
After Goodall sent out his orders around the league, if you look, the teams that play a physical brand of defense..ALL GAVE UP A BUNCH OF POINTS ON SUNDAY!

We gave up way to many points to a weak Dolphins team. And Harrison has said he was out their thinking instead of reacting.

Look ath the Ravens..all those points to the Bills???

Look at the Bengals....the Falcons are a decent team but 39 points?? Sorry but it's more the a coincidence that three physical defensive teams all gave up more points then usual.

And I bet the Jets give up quite a few to the Packers this coming Sunday. Don't get me wrong, the Packers should be in the 20's in this game. But if we see the Packers put up 35 plus on the Jets, then it is clear to me that this is the clear effect of Goodall's bull$hit mandate.

edited your thread title so we know what the thread is about :) - BRC

igor0190
10-25-2010, 11:48 PM
I also saw a few replays where it was blatantly clear the defender let up instead of giving the big hit....
The one I remember was a Ratbird player.

K Train
10-25-2010, 11:51 PM
and they love it.....mission accomplished for the NFL more points are being scored

Big T
10-25-2010, 11:56 PM
and they love it.....mission accomplished for the NFL more points are being scored

Sad but true...

V_83
10-26-2010, 12:33 AM
Yeah, they just said on MNF not too long ago, that this week was the highest scoring week since like '83.

Not a coincidence to me.

Farrior Fan
10-26-2010, 01:08 AM
BUT Romo and Favre are hurt so we are gonna need some more rules. How about a Halo around the QB. To penetrate the halo you must notify the QB and then count to 20 in a Mississippi style. If you do not follow the rules you will be suspended for a minimum of 4 games. Also the Defense will now play with 8 players and the offense will play with 17 players, this is to make games more competitive and we at the NFL feel that scoring will not increase much. We have also made the field 70 yards long, this will make the game more exciting. In addition once a running back has broken through the initial defensive line he is not to be touched. This will make the game more exciting and we do not feel it hurts the integrity of the game. All plays will now be reviewed at least twice so we can make sure everything is fair.

super cleats
10-26-2010, 06:14 AM
okay, what's up with such bad defenses this season, were giving up 299 yards a game and we are 4TH :OOOOOOO.

I know the league is evolving into passing offense, and you usually get more yards per pass than rush, so is the great defenses over?

I bet in 2 years the #1 ranked defnse will at least be 280 yards per game.... and 4.5 yards per play.... compare that to the steelers 2008 defense of 230 yards per game and 3.9 yards per play.

Will we not see another 230 yards per game effort by the Steelers again? I know that was a legendary defense but still it hurts to see Colt McCoy to throw 280 yards on us :(:(:(

I prefer seeing much less yardage than points....

nuclearchihuahuas
10-26-2010, 07:25 AM
I'd like to see much less of everything--yardage and points. I have been trying to figure it out as well as I was unimpressed with out pass D even more than I was last week. The only thing I can figure is that either my expectations are too high (entirely possible) or 28 other teams defenses are a lot worse than I gave them credit.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-26-2010, 07:31 AM
BUT Romo and Favre are hurt so we are gonna need some more rules. How about a Halo around the QB. To penetrate the halo you must notify the QB and then count to 20 in a Mississippi style. If you do not follow the rules you will be suspended for a minimum of 4 games. Also the Defense will now play with 8 players and the offense will play with 17 players, this is to make games more competitive and we at the NFL feel that scoring will not increase much. We have also made the field 70 yards long, this will make the game more exciting. In addition once a running back has broken through the initial defensive line he is not to be touched. This will make the game more exciting and we do not feel it hurts the integrity of the game. All plays will now be reviewed at least twice so we can make sure everything is fair.

You're giving the league too many ideas!!! LOL :lol:

coldrolled
10-26-2010, 08:02 AM
okay, what's up with such bad defenses this season, were giving up 299 yards a game and we are 4TH :OOOOOOO.

A lot of new teams converting to 3-4? dont really have the right players maybe?
or the coaches cant coach up the 3-4 a well as others?

super cleats
10-26-2010, 08:10 AM
apart from the chargers defense, i haven't really seen a great defense, I thought we were back after the first two games, but after the browns and dolphins game... pass defense has worried me..

... PRINCE AMUKARMA ANYONE?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2010, 08:12 AM

It's a sad thing but you are definitely correct. The NFL hates big hits, they hate stops in the red zone, they hate runs of 3 or 4 yards. They want long pass plays and big TD's all day long.

It's going to take awhile before the players find a middle ground. I would imagine that some will not find it for a long time. Lebeau has to see this from his unit and he needs to talk to them this week about getting back to doing what they do.

coldrolled
10-26-2010, 08:16 AM
It's a sad thing but you are definitely correct. The NFL hates big hits, they hate stops in the red zone, they hate runs of 3 or 4 yards. They want long pass plays and big TD's all day long. .

They should start cloning NFL prototype Arians model OC's :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2010, 08:20 AM
It's a passing league, the NFL continues to do everything it can to develop and encourage the offense while hampering the defense. It is what it is, defenses will have to somehow adjust but how is anybody's guess. There is a growing need for even more pressure on the QB which will require more exotic blitzes and pressure packages. The NFL as we knew is no more...

coldrolled
10-26-2010, 08:25 AM
It's a passing league, the NFL continues to do everything it can to develop and encourage the offense while hampering the defense. It is what it is, defenses will have to somehow adjust but how is anybody's guess. There is a growing need for even more pressure on the QB which will require more exotic blitzes and pressure packages. The NFL as we knew is no more...

the giants have adjusted. they killed their 5th QB last night.

super cleats
10-26-2010, 12:26 PM
we need a ballhawking free-safety or a shutdown corner in the next draft, it's very embarrasing at how teams can pass on us...

Lebeau's calls haven't looked great this year, look at how Rob Ryan called the Saints-Browns game...

All I'm asking for is a ball****inghawking safety... I wanted Earl.... but seattle took him....... look how much he has improved that defense with his four turnovers and coverage ability.... and he's still just a rookie...........

all i want is aaron williams, deunta williams or some dude that can get turnovers, I love ryan as a dude, but he sucks in coverage... i'll give up a little in the run game in todays game everyday for some dude superior in coverage.

Scorp
10-26-2010, 01:39 PM
:goodpost:

coldrolled
10-26-2010, 02:04 PM
we need a ballhawking free-safety or a shutdown corner in the next draft, it's very embarrasing at how teams can pass on us...

Lebeau's calls haven't looked great this year, look at how Rob Ryan called the Saints-Browns game...

All I'm asking for is a ball****inghawking safety... I wanted Earl.... but seattle took him....... look how much he has improved that defense with his four turnovers and coverage ability.... and he's still just a rookie...........

all i want is aaron williams, deunta williams or some dude that can get turnovers, I love ryan as a dude, but he sucks in coverage... i'll give up a little in the run game in todays game everyday for some dude superior in coverage.

butler seems to have more ball hawking techniques than keenan... he seemed to read the Preseason QB passes and jumps ahead of the WR for the picks.. instead of waiting for them to catch the ball and then tackle. that is really getting old fast.

we hardly ever see our CB's jump ahead of the wr now.. McFadden did it more in his first tour with us.

super cleats
10-26-2010, 02:07 PM
butler seems to have more ball hawking techniques than keenan... he seemed to read the Preseason QB passes and jumps ahead of the WR for the picks.. instead of waiting for them to catch the ball and then tackle. that is really getting old fast.

we hardly ever see our CB's jump ahead of the wr now.. McFadden did it more in his first tour with us.

I liked Butler a lot, I like Keenan as well, but if he's another Ike with no hands... no thanks, durable when teams passed for about 20-25 times about 4-5 years ago... not 30-45 times now. we need some turnovers... just imagine if taylor can pick off a pass and return it for a touchdown...

im pretty sure we are dead last at cornerbacks returning picks 6's in the last many years..

jnes1216
10-26-2010, 02:24 PM

One of our DB's jump a route!! Few and far between. I agree it is getting old. I just don't think they are coached that way.

Teams are passing on us so much because we stuff the run and they have no alternative. Couple this with the DB's philosphy of keeping the ball in front of you and there you go. Now we can't even have Clark come up and try to separate the ball from the receiver without thinking twice. Then if we tackle the qb too hard during one of those many pass attempts we get penalized. :banging:

SteelDad
10-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Imagine how bad defenses will be if the owners get their way and we go to an 18-game schedule. More guys on rosters, more injuries, more guys that otherwise wouldn't even have made it into the League and so on... It will be like the NHL. More teams, less talent, more scoring.

steelersbabex25
10-26-2010, 02:38 PM
All the pro-no hard hits commentators were on yesterday saying "see..we CAN still have exciting football without any hard hits." But it still isn't the same. When you see a dominant team like the Ravens giving up 30+ points to a shotty team like the Bills, you know that somethings wrong.

One of those commentators was also saying how low hits (like the one on Hines Ward on Sunday) make him nervous. HELLO. MESSAGE TO THE NFL. You can't have it both ways. If you're going to outrule the defense hitting players high, then they're going to go low and cause knee injuries. Pick your poison.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-26-2010, 03:16 PM
All the pro-no hard hits commentators were on yesterday saying "see..we CAN still have exciting football without any hard hits." But it still isn't the same. When you see a dominant team like the Ravens giving up 30+ points to a shotty team like the Bills, you know that somethings wrong.

One of those commentators was also saying how low hits (like the one on Hines Ward on Sunday) make him nervous. HELLO. MESSAGE TO THE NFL. You can't have it both ways. If you're going to outrule the defense hitting players high, then they're going to go low and cause knee injuries. Pick your poison.

For those of us who are true fans of the defensive side of football, THIS SUCKS!!!!

When I saw Harrison pull up on a hit, I knew it was over. I did enjoy Romo getting drilled into the ground but that was the only excitement for the weekend.

super cleats
10-26-2010, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't even call Romo's hit hard, just the way he landed.

NLP

NATIONAL LEAGUE OF PUSSIES that should be the new name stupid roger goddell i hope u drink something bad your ruining the league not just for US citizens but also from abroad

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-26-2010, 10:01 PM
What goes around comes around.... They have always added new rules to slow down defenses. When they changed the rules back in the 70's,some of you may remember, the Steel Curtain and other defenses, were killing the offenses. So what did they do?? Eliminate the bump and run, everyone lamented about how it would change the game,blah ,blah ,blah. What prompted the famous line " they ought to put QB's in dresses", rule changes to stop head shots and such. So while the offenses may get a jump on defenses for awhile it won't be permanent.

Real Deal Steel
10-27-2010, 12:28 AM
We have to adapt. We have no choice. More then ever, after we address needs on the lines, we have to get a higher grade of Cornerback. Seriously.

As a matter of fact, if they went and took the best CB on the board in the first round, as much as I wouldn't like it, I could see the thinking in doing it. Stinking Goodall is ****ing up the game making it a sissy game for sure.

coldrolled
10-27-2010, 07:49 AM
we need quality CB's that can catch INT's.. thats the only way to stop this new offensive push by goodell... the entire secondary will need to have good hands..
Our OLB's need to hit the QB.. at least once every quarter... not every other game.
dick needs to dial up a new plan.