PDA

View Full Version : Could Jason Worilds start at defensive end??

Troyisabeast_43
10-25-2010, 07:07 PM
I know he played some D-end at Virginia Tech and he lined up at defensive end yesterday on 3rd down plenty of times after Smith got hurt and was very disruptive, and of course had the huge play and hit on Henne on 4th and 6 at the end of the game which caused the turnover on downs and sealed the Steelers win. My point is would Worilds be a better option then Eason or Hood at starting at defensive end because of his speed and his ability to get to the QB?? I think with the loss of Smith and this D-line already being shorthanded and Ziggy not being a sure thing Tomlin definitely should and needs to consider it. He must have thought a lot of Jason Worilds if he had him out there on 4th down with the game on the line yesterday in Miami.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-25-2010, 07:21 PM
He was lined up there more out of necessity than anything else as I understand it. Lebeau was running out of bodies to rotate in during the game so he was resorting to playing Worilds there at times and putting Timmons outside, and bringing Foote inside. I don't really see him doing any significant reps there in the future unless there are more injuries during the game or unless Lebeau has some new wrinkle up his sleeve. Just my :02:

Black@Gold Forever32
10-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Well he could drop down and rush the passer when the Steelers go to their nickel packages....But a base 3-4 defense noway Worilds can play DE.....3-4 DE's weigh anywhere from 280-300 pounds.....He would get pounded and worn out playing DE in a base 3-4.......

BlitzburghRockCity
10-25-2010, 07:35 PM
I agree 32, in situational circumstances they could line him or Woodley up there, or any other LB. But long term there's no way they'd survive. They would get swallowed up by the Guard and Tackle and become non factors. Whereas guys like Keisel and Smith who are built to play DE in the 34, can hold their ground when needed or get off blocks and make plays.

K Train
10-25-2010, 07:37 PM
lol hed get murdered.

my knock on worilds was that he couldnt finish plays and that he was the guy that always almost got there....thats what he was yesterday. he showed a beastly first step and some great balance, but he will be liability against the run and theres no way he could be anything more than a situational pass rusher at this point

HUNT4SEVEN
10-25-2010, 08:05 PM
lol hed get murdered.

my knock on worilds was that he couldnt finish plays and that he was the guy that always almost got there....thats what he was yesterday. he showed a beastly first step and some great balance, but he will be liability against the run and theres no way he could be anything more than a situational pass rusher at this point

I agree with K...I like him better at outside LB i believe Dick did that yesterday because of the Humidity i would bet that was the only reason he played DE yesterday, he is fast as hell though he kinda of reminds me of a young Timmons...

LatrobePA
10-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Who's the best option??? Do we have that guy on the roster??

K Train
10-25-2010, 09:13 PM
I agree with K...I like him better at outside LB i believe Dick did that yesterday because of the Humidity i would bet that was the only reason he played DE yesterday, he is fast as hell though he kinda of reminds me of a young Timmons...

think joey porter when you watch worilds play.

woodley could play DE but wed have to run a 4 man front and hood bumped inside he could be effective

BlitzburghRockCity
10-25-2010, 09:22 PM
I like Worilds' initial moves to get past the Tackle yesterday, but Henne was able to slide up and over and elude him to get the pass off. It wasn't just him though, that was the problem all day, no pressure up the middle.

coldrolled
10-25-2010, 09:46 PM
I like Worilds' initial moves to get past the Tackle yesterday, but Henne was able to slide up and over and elude him to get the pass off. It wasn't just him though, that was the problem all day, no pressure up the middle.

up the middle... Blitz farrior? too slow this year?? Need more young speed.

Gibson, Worilds, Sly, Fox.. age may be forcing some changes this year.

SteelDad
10-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Situationally, yes he could play DE, but remember that in the 3-4 defense, the DE has arguably the toughest job on the field. Just don't see him there. He certainly needs to get some snaps though. I think it's time to see what Sly can do as well. We are not getting any younger on D and we have to get these guys up to snuff.

coldrolled
10-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Situationally, yes he could play DE, but remember that in the 3-4 defense, the DE has arguably the toughest job on the field. Just don't see him there. He certainly needs to get some snaps though. I think it's time to see what Sly can do as well. We are not getting any younger on D and we have to get these guys up to snuff.

what if farrior retires this year?? are we prepared for that? plan ahead now.

DanRooney
10-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Woodley should play DE if McClendon and Al Woods aren't capable. Jason Gildong (err Woodley) is a mammoth OLB and runs right into RT's anyway. If the bullrush fails, which it has been this entire season, he fails at getting pressure. It's his only move.

K Train
10-25-2010, 10:08 PM
thats not true....woodley is a pretty polished pass rusher, he just prefers overpowering

Big T
10-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Absolutely not.

SteelCityKid5
10-26-2010, 02:01 AM
Nick Eason will be your starter come Sunday.

super cleats
10-26-2010, 06:04 AM
lol hed get murdered.

what the hell do you mean he couldn't finish plays, he was a rookie going against one of the best o-lines in the league, what are you smoking, he caused that precious incompletion that ws an interception by Harrison.

stop hating on worilds, i remember you said he was gonna suck and thaddeus gibson was going to be better, but waittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt ttttttttttttt

who's in the lineup.... haha hating on the hokies.... just a side note, i bet tyrod taylor will be a better nfl qb than dennis dixon.

JensK
10-26-2010, 06:07 AM
what the hell do you mean he couldn't finish plays, he was a rookie going against one of the best o-lines in the league, what are you smoking, he caused that precious incompletion that ws an interception by Harrison.

What he mean is that Worilds, coming out of college, was known to have tremendous speed , but was often unable to finish the play. He touched the QB like 3 times without getting a sack against Dolphins, which is exactly his problem in college as well. I loved the play he made when Harrison "intercepted" the ball, but let's face it. It was more of a bad play by Henne that a great play by Worilds. Henne more or less walked right over to him, after Worilds had been beat by the tackle.

edit for the sake of Gibson. I think most people here was more excited about Gibson than Worilds, if for nothing else, then because he was a more complete 3-4 LB coming out than Worilds. Gibson did the same things at his college that we expect our OLBs to do. Worilds was a DE in college, and they are kind of make or break in our system.

coldrolled
10-26-2010, 08:05 AM
i didnt see harrison or woodley banging up henne either???

maybe we need gibson and worilds to play more.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-26-2010, 08:32 AM
up the middle... Blitz farrior? too slow this year?? Need more young speed.

Gibson, Worilds, Sly, Fox.. age may be forcing some changes this year.

Definitely! Lebeau is going to have to go younger and get experience for whomever he chooses at this spot. I love Smith but things keep tearing and separating...his body is breaking down after many years of great play. We need to establish a viable backup and the way to do it is to find and play his replacement. I am tempted to hope we try Sly in the next few games but Hoke will likely fill in.

LatrobePA
10-26-2010, 10:32 AM
i didnt see harrison or woodley banging up henne either???

maybe we need gibson and worilds to play more.

Harrison was too busy leaping over people falling on his face, pulling up and not delivering hits. He stunk up the joint.

IMO Worlids was the only stand out pass rusher this past Sunday!!

SteelDad
10-26-2010, 10:40 AM
what if farrior retires this year?? are we prepared for that? plan ahead now.

That's exactly my point with Sly getting some time. I sometimes wonder if our fan base recognizes just how old we are on defense. Over the next 3 years we could see Farrior, Hampton, Foote, Taylor, McFadden, TP, Smith, Keisel, and Hoke gone. I say 3 years, but you could probably make the case for 2 years or even one in some cases.

igor0190
10-26-2010, 11:20 AM
That's exactly my point with Sly getting some time. I sometimes wonder if our fan base recognizes just how old we are on defense. Over the next 3 years we could see Farrior, Hampton, Foote, Taylor, McFadden, TP, Smith, Keisel, and Hoke gone. I say 3 years, but you could probably make the case for 2 years or even one in some cases.

Our Defense is also VERY VERY good...
The old part is just a closing window on our chance to win championships. No reason to play young guys if they aren't the best we can put on the field.

That being said, some young impact players that would take some veteran starting spots would be nice to see (Farrior soon, A. Smith NOW, maybe a playmaking safety for R. Clark). Other than those 2-3 guys you can't expect any of the vets to lose their spots.

Just got a text... A. Smith had surgery today, however they are not placing him on the IR. They are still hoping that he could possibly return. Hmmm

K Train
10-26-2010, 02:14 PM

stop hating on worilds, i remember you said he was gonna suck and thaddeus gibson was going to be better, but waittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt ttttttttttttt

who's in the lineup.... haha hating on the hokies.... just a side note, i bet tyrod taylor will be a better nfl qb than dennis dixon.

i do think gibson will be better....randle el is playing a TON more than sanders and brown does that make him better? i never said the personell moves of the steelers isnt baffling sometimes.

im not even hating on worilds....im saying he did exactly what he did in college and was jus the guy that almost had a sack but not quite. the dolphins ar FAR from the best oline...jake long is awesome, but they are very average to less than average after that and just because vernon carey is making top dollar doesnt make him a top player, yet he forced worilds to over pursue just about every time essentially taking him out of the play..

i will say that worilds has an insane first step, and gets so low and contours his body in the most awkward way that looks very difficult to keep balance and he does it regularly, but hes really gotta tighten up his game because hes a situational pass rusher at best night now, he'll get molested in the run game

What he mean is that Worilds, coming out of college, was known to have tremendous speed , but was often unable to finish the play. He touched the QB like 3 times without getting a sack against Dolphins, which is exactly his problem in college as well. I loved the play he made when Harrison "intercepted" the ball, but let's face it. It was more of a bad play by Henne that a great play by Worilds. Henne more or less walked right over to him, after Worilds had been beat by the tackle.

edit for the sake of Gibson. I think most people here was more excited about Gibson than Worilds, if for nothing else, then because he was a more complete 3-4 LB coming out than Worilds. Gibson did the same things at his college that we expect our OLBs to do. Worilds was a DE in college, and they are kind of make or break in our system.

exactly....worilds has already surpassed alonzo jackson and bruce davis as OLBs but people get so butt hurt when you criticize their precious steeler players

Harrison was too busy leaping over people falling on his face, pulling up and not delivering hits. He stunk up the joint.

IMO Worlids was the only stand out pass rusher this past Sunday!!
it might be time to move harrison inside and making him play the run

Big T
10-26-2010, 02:20 PM

This is a ridiculous post.

First of all, the dolphins do not have one of the best Olines in the NFL. They have one of the best Left Tackles in the league, but that's it. Vernon Carey(who Worilds was going against) is garbage. Secondly, he couldn't finish Sunday. He showed great burst off the line and speed around he edge, but it looked like every time he got around the edge, he got lost and didn't know what to do. All he had was that speed. He had one good play and you jump all on his d*ck.

Now don't think I'm hating on him, he showed a few things, but not nearly as much as everyone thinks...

SteelDad
10-26-2010, 02:40 PM
The old part is just a closing window on our chance to win championships. No reason to play young guys if they aren't the best we can put on the field.

That being said, some young impact players that would take some veteran starting spots would be nice to see (Farrior soon, A. Smith NOW, maybe a playmaking safety for R. Clark). Other than those 2-3 guys you can't expect any of the vets to lose their spots.

Just got a text... A. Smith had surgery today, however they are not placing him on the IR. They are still hoping that he could possibly return. Hmmm

I agree that our defense is very good, but take a look at the big picture. Hampton is pretty long in the tooth, especially for a nose-tackle. Farrior is 35-36 and Foote is a situational player. We could definitely use more athleticism at free safety and Troy has always talked about retiring younger than expected because his health and faith are important to him later in life. We know Smith doesn't have much more in the tank and our CB's are not spring chickens either. Throw all that together with the fact that LeBeau probably isn't going to be around much longer and you have the perfect storm of major turnover on our defense. We need to get these young guys some snaps even if it is just 8-12 a game. We have to see what they can do.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-26-2010, 03:13 PM
I agree that our defense is very good, but take a look at the big picture. Hampton is pretty long in the tooth, especially for a nose-tackle. Farrior is 35-36 and Foote is a situational player. We could definitely use more athleticism at free safety and Troy has always talked about retiring younger than expected because his health and faith are important to him later in life. We know Smith doesn't have much more in the tank and our CB's are not spring chickens either. Throw all that together with the fact that LeBeau probably isn't going to be around much longer and you have the perfect storm of major turnover on our defense. We need to get these young guys some snaps even if it is just 8-12 a game. We have to see what they can do.

I think we'd better win the SB this year. Next year most of our D will have slowed down from age and wear.

coldrolled
10-26-2010, 03:16 PM

we are playing great right now dude, but rooney said last year he wanted the younger guys to get playing time. you keep them on the sidelines all the time and on ST. one day we will have a really inexperienced Defense... and that time is coming fast.. the old guys are getting slower and older. not every draft pick is a winner, we have seen that... 2009... and we rarely pick up top FA's... so we need the young guys to play a little in rotations in real games..

also.. how long do we sit on madison, lewis, mundy types.....??

DanRooney
10-26-2010, 03:46 PM

Nobody really sacked Henne. Foote had an unblocked dong sack but that's it. The closest we came was Harrison's underneath swim move on Jake Long, which was correctly called a mugging (hold). They are very good at the ends but their interior is pretty weak. LeBeau didn't send Timmons flying up the middle for some reason.

Worilds played solid. He was getting pressure when no one was.

igor0190
10-26-2010, 03:48 PM
we are playing great right now dude, but rooney said last year he wanted the younger guys to get playing time. you keep them on the sidelines all the time and on ST. one day we will have a really inexperienced Defense... and that time is coming fast.. the old guys are getting slower and older. not every draft pick is a winner, we have seen that... 2009... and we rarely pick up top FA's... so we need the young guys to play a little in rotations in real games..

also.. how long do we sit on madison, lewis, mundy types.....??

True enough...
Although i'm afraid that for players like Madison, Lewis, and Mundy who've been around for a few years already and havn't taken over a spot on their own (ala Pouncey), they just might be servicable backups and that's about it.
Although point well taken that if they don't get to play more we'll never know.

LatrobePA
10-26-2010, 04:22 PM
it might be time to move harrison inside and making him play the run

That's a good idea...Who would you put outside?

K Train
10-26-2010, 04:34 PM
That's a good idea...Who would you put outside?

ideally timmons probably....since they wont bench farrior even though the best possible lineup i could think of would be

Worilds/Gibson as ROLB
Woodley as LOLB
Harrison at Mack
Timmons at Buck

thats a scary group of guys that really could move all over

cmerrifield
10-26-2010, 04:44 PM
ideally timmons probably....since they wont bench farrior even though the best possible lineup i could think of would be

Worilds/Gibson as ROLB
Woodley as LOLB
Harrison at Mack
Timmons at Buck

thats a scary group of guys that really could move all over

With your man-crush on Gibson, I am shocked you even put Worilds name there.

K Train
10-26-2010, 05:12 PM
i never said gibson was 100% ready to contribute....he should have stayed at school to develop another year...but imo theres no way we would have gotten him in the 4th round next year

LatrobePA
10-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Good stuff, call Dick and get the changes made! LOL

Dobre Shunka
10-27-2010, 01:47 AM
Worilds is a beast of a pass rusher, exactly what he was in school and will only get better. He is Joey Porter like with youth and an unbelievable break away move. When he is in the game THEIR QB will constantly be harassed and that's a good thing as it leads to blown calls, bad passes, and interceptions to our zone. Brilliant p/u by the Steelers.

With that stated, he is no DE, particularly with the Steel D. Not even close. He is a pure pass rushing LB with a one speed motor that, like many before him, needs to stay healthy and grow a lot more.

Like every other draft pickup, he was a gamble, but to the credit of our scouting one I'm glad they took and clearly see why. Yes, he's situational, and that's OK for the role we need him for at this time. Time, talent, and health will determine if he grows into a more substantial role within DL's system.

For the record_SS and Thaddeus were great P/Us too. :imho:

DanRooney
10-27-2010, 05:53 AM
This is a ridiculous post.

First of all, the dolphins do not have one of the best Olines in the NFL. They have one of the best Left Tackles in the league, but that's it. Vernon Carey(who Worilds was going against) is garbage. Secondly, he couldn't finish Sunday. He showed great burst off the line and speed around he edge, but it looked like every time he got around the edge, he got lost and didn't know what to do. All he had was that speed. He had one good play and you jump all on his d*ck.

Now don't think I'm hating on him, he showed a few things, but not nearly as much as everyone thinks...

Carey isn't garbage. He's actually pretty good. They have arguably the best tackles in the league, it's their interior that's weak. I hope your not confusing Carey with both of Woodley's sacks last year because he was 1-on-1 with their FB Polite on one of those.

coldrolled
10-27-2010, 02:27 PM
jets moved gilbert today... did we go after him???

Jets Sign DE Jarron Gilbert to Active Roster
The New York Jets have signed defensive end Jarron Gilbert off their practice squad, reports Jenny Vrentas for The Star-Ledger.

The former San Jose State standout was chosen with the 68th overall pick of the 2009 NFL Draft. In four games last season, the 6-5, 287-pound Gilbert totaled one tackle. Gilbert had three tackles, including a pair of quarterback sacks, and a forced fumble this pre-season, but it was not enough for him to earn a spot on the Bears' initial 53-man roster and he was placed on waivers.

Gilbert signed with the Jets' practice squad during the first week of the regular season.

K Train
10-27-2010, 02:30 PM
hes a perfect fit for a 34....jets are getting a player, the bears tried to make him into something he wasnt

Scorp
10-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Nice posts here and great suggestions boys.

Dobre Shunka
10-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Like Gilbert, we didn't have a shot @ him and the Jets will keep him.