PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith done for year????!!!

Steelers_All_Day_43
10-24-2010, 09:15 PM
UH-OHHHHHHH!

Farrior Fan
10-24-2010, 09:19 PM
UH-OHHHHHHH!

yeah, my wife just told me thats what they reported on football night in America. Not sure where they got the info. Man I hope they are wrong. Our D looked totally different without him.:banging:

BLACKnGOLD58
10-24-2010, 09:35 PM
:cursin: man that sucks

SteelCurtainYinzer
10-24-2010, 09:38 PM
We are Worilds a part compared to last year. We didn't have him last year and the few plays that I watch today he seemed to hold his own.....he might even be quicker than Smith which could be a big help...however our run stopping ability could be hurting in the coming weeks. I remember last year we couldn't stop short third down stops to save our life. The next few weeks we will see.

Farrior Fan
10-24-2010, 09:41 PM
I really like Worilds in passing downs but I don't have a clue whether he can stop the run. We have to get pressure on Brees.

LatrobePA
10-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Put Woodley on the line leave Worlids outside??..??

coach
10-24-2010, 10:16 PM
We are Worilds a part compared to last year. We didn't have him last year and the few plays that I watch today he seemed to hold his own.....he might even be quicker than Smith which could be a big help...however our run stopping ability could be hurting in the coming weeks. I remember last year we couldn't stop short third down stops to save our life. The next few weeks we will see.

I agree, and I hope it works out that way because we went from 6-2 to 6-7 at this time last year with injuries and lack of depth.

coldrolled
10-24-2010, 11:30 PM
Put Woodley on the line leave Worlids outside??..??

worilds was fine... great last play..

Big T
10-24-2010, 11:31 PM

Jason Worilds is a 6'2 260lb outside linebacker while Aaron Smith is a 6'5 300lb defensive end. If he wasnt faster than Aaron Smith he'd have some serious issues.

Jason Worilds looked OK today. He has very nice quickness with a nice jump but that's all he has is that speed around the edge. It looked like he could get around the edge, but then didnt know what to do after. He'll go right back to bein a backup for next week once Woodley is back.

we are in trouble though. I hope Keisel can at least come back next week. we can't afford to be starting Nick Eason AND Evander Hood. That has failure written all over it. Eason didn't look good today and Hood was getting manhandled. We are in trouble.

BFISHIN80
10-25-2010, 12:44 AM
WITH SMITH DONE....CONSIDER OUR RUN D COMPLETELY F.U.B.A.R.

LatrobePA
10-25-2010, 12:57 AM
Got a week coach T whatcha gonna do???

Dean Denton
10-25-2010, 03:57 AM

coldrolled
10-25-2010, 06:00 AM
Steelers DE Aaron Smith's Season Appears Over
Pittsburgh Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith will likely miss the rest of the season with a torn triceps, Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

Smith was a fourth-round pick (109th overall) out of BYU by the Steelers in 1999. The 6-5, 298-pound defensive end moved into the starting lineup in 2000, and has 442 tackles and 44 quarterback sacks in the 134 games since.

Smith missed the final five weeks of the 2007 season with a torn biceps muscle, and the final 11 games of last season with a torn rotator cuff.

andyg1984
10-25-2010, 09:42 AM
our D is visibly less effective without AS .. pretty frustrating to watch us without him tbh

LatrobePA
10-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Who is our best option?

Root4Stlrs
10-25-2010, 10:30 AM
One of the analysts/former coaches, I can't remember if it was Dungy or Mariucci, said the Steelers have proven this season that they are an extremely resilient team and he believes they will overcome. I just hope that they're right b/c I remember what has happened in the past without AS in the line-up. The year he tore his bicep demonstrated that.

igor0190
10-25-2010, 10:43 AM
At least we will find out if Hood is the answer... If he can't contribute now, may as well cut his *** after this year is over. He's a first rounder, making first round money... PROVE your worth... NOW!

JensK
10-25-2010, 10:48 AM
At least we will find out if Hood is the answer... If he can't contribute now, may as well cut his *** after this year is over. He's a first rounder, making first round money... PROVE your worth... NOW!

That may be a little harsh. Steelers normally give players a few years to blend in - It took Mendenhall 3 years to get where he is (i know he was injured). It took Keisel 3 years as well, if not more. With that being said, Keisel was a 7th round pick, and Hood was a first round. No way should it take equal amount of time.

cmerrifield
10-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Who replaces Smith in the lineup? Do we trade with the Bills for Sunny Harris back? I know people were excited when we signed Al Woods the PS, does he get bumped? Or McClendon? If its someone from the PS, did Worthington show enough in Preseason to get resigned to the PS?

JensK
10-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Who replaces Smith in the lineup? Do we trade with the Bills for Sunny Harris back? I know people were excited when we signed Al Woods the PS, does he get bumped? Or McClendon? If its someone from the PS, did Worthington show enough in Preseason to get resigned to the PS?

It'll greatly depend on whether Keisel is back or not. If he is, Eason and Hood will rotate, and they will probably sigh either McClendon or Al Woods to the active Rooster.

andyg1984
10-25-2010, 11:17 AM
does anyone think we would be better off with just two DL on the field than Ziggy at all?

i mean maybe there is a package where woodley could act like a DE? just sort of thinking out loud in a time of panic ..

Troyisabeast_43
10-25-2010, 11:56 AM
does anyone think we would be better off with just two DL on the field than Ziggy at all?

i mean maybe there is a package where woodley could act like a DE? just sort of thinking out loud in a time of panic ..
Tomlin will not do that he is going to sink or swim with both Eason and Ziggy. Hopefully Keisel is back soon and it will make the D-line much better in Smith's absence. They will get a good test this Sunday night in New Orleans facing a potent Saints offense to see how they do without Smith in the lineup...Winning this game in New Orleans Sunday night could really spark the Steelers I believe the rest of the season to great things...

BlitzburghRockCity
10-25-2010, 12:11 PM
The 34 is not going to work with only 2 DL...perish the thought of that ever happening because it never will. You have to have 3 DL on the field to occupy the blockers and let the LB's make plays. There are certain packages where you only have 2 on the field but those are situational to say the least. You can't run an effective defense like ours without 3 big, solid, guys up front.

jnes1216
10-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Looks like McClendon will probably be put on active roster imo. Move Smith to IR to make room. Sucks big time.

KemoTherapy
10-25-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm starting to get deja vu all over again with this team compared to last year. No pressure on the QB at all, he had all day to sit back there and pick and choose. I thought last year that the age and brittleness of the D-line would be addressed in the offseason but it's starting to look like same old same old. Lotta needs to be worked on in the offseason...providing there is a season next year that is.

K Train
10-25-2010, 02:35 PM
id like to see al woods get some consideration....hes still on the practice squad isnt he?

harpo
10-25-2010, 02:55 PM
id like to see al woods get some consideration....hes still on the practice squad isnt he?

Yes, he is.

I was reading on Bleacher Report that he may be signed to the active roster but that would also mean that someone would have to be cut.

jnes1216
10-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Yes, he is.

I was reading on Bleacher Report that he may be signed to the active roster but that would also mean that someone would have to be cut.

Wouldn't moving Smith to the IR list make a roster spot available?
if not some special teamer may get moved.

Iron City South
10-25-2010, 03:21 PM
I knew this was coming.

Smith will be missed, but Ziggy is ready. His time is NOW.

DE's under LeBeau's 34 defense are only required to take up space. Ziggy gives us some versatility quick laterall movement that will force QB's to move around.

LatrobePA
10-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Ziggy is poopy....He has showed nothing this year! But yes it's now or never!!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-25-2010, 04:18 PM
34 DE's are required to take up space, yes, but in Hood's case and in the case of the rest of the backups other than Hoke on the DL, they need to be able to hold their own too. these guys are getting pushed around and leaving holes for the RB to pick and choose rather than forcing the play where the defense wants it to be. I am no convinced right now there is anybody that can step in and play even half as well as Smith.

LatrobePA
10-25-2010, 04:24 PM
34 DE's are required to take up space, yes, but in Hood's case and in the case of the rest of the backups other than Hoke on the DL, they need to be able to hold their own too. these guys are getting pushed around and leaving holes for the RB to pick and choose rather than forcing the play where the defense wants it to be. I am no convinced right now there is anybody that can step in and play even half as well as Smith.

I'm with you...:cursin:

Lunchbucket
10-25-2010, 04:37 PM

Right,if there was someone who could help,we would have already seen the DE's spelled more.3 -4 's require a front three that dictate line play.Who can dominate if Smith is gone ?

DanRooney
10-25-2010, 04:53 PM
That may be a little harsh. Steelers normally give players a few years to blend in - It took Mendenhall 3 years to get where he is (i know he was injured). It took Keisel 3 years as well, if not more. With that being said, Keisel was a 7th round pick, and Hood was a first round. No way should it take equal amount of time.

It didn't take Mendenhall 3 years. He was great in his second year with us after he was named starter in the SD game. Tomlin's refusal to disappoint his vets was the only reason it took him that long.

igor0190
10-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Ziggy got a vote of confidence from Lebeau saying:
"I think [Hood] is going to be a major contributor for us this year, and I think he's right on schedule to becoming a real good NFL defensive lineman."

Reggie Bush is supposed to play for the Saints this Sunday, Fibula has healed....

Reggie Bush (fractured fibula) said he has been cleared to play and is preparing as if he'll make his return in Week 8.
Bush added that X-rays show his fibula has healed nicely. He claims he is close to 100 percent, but he's yet to test the leg in live situations. We'll know later this week if a Week 8 return is indeed likely. Bush will go back to his passing-down role and could see more carries while Pierre Thomas is out.

harpo
10-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Wouldn't moving Smith to the IR list make a roster spot available?
if not some special teamer may get moved.

Not if they put McClendon on the active roster, too.

LatrobePA
10-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Ziggy got a vote of confidence from Lebeau saying:
"I think [Hood] is going to be a major contributor for us this year, and I think he's right on schedule to becoming a real good NFL defensive lineman."

Reggie Bush is supposed to play for the Saints this Sunday, Fibula has healed....

Reggie Bush (fractured fibula) said he has been cleared to play and is preparing as if he'll make his return in Week 8.
Bush added that X-rays show his fibula has healed nicely. He claims he is close to 100 percent, but he's yet to test the leg in live situations. We'll know later this week if a Week 8 return is indeed likely. Bush will go back to his passing-down role and could see more carries while Pierre Thomas is out.

Bush could torch us!!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Far be it from me to discount the word of the master himself, Lebeau, but man I just don't have THAT much confidence in Hood to play any where near the level that Smith does. You cannot replace an Aaron Smith, it's nearly impossible, but I would be happy with someone that played atleast "ok", because that would be step up from last year when Smith was gone.

Steel Trap86
10-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Bush could torch us!!

true, but he might not have as big of a role in his first game back. he'll be on kick returns though and i've heard he's pretty good at that

steelers4life66
10-25-2010, 05:28 PM
WITH SMITH DONE....CONSIDER OUR RUN D COMPLETELY F.U.B.A.R.

It was a :greenkick:

LatrobePA
10-25-2010, 05:33 PM
true, but he might not have as big of a role in his first game back. he'll be on kick returns though and i've heard he's pretty good at that

Bush could run scared too, being his first game back against our once hard hitting defense (thanks goodell)...:rant2: