PDA

View Full Version : People blaming the D?

mwittman5
10-24-2010, 07:10 PM
on the radio and reading steeler sites online I hear people saying the defense played poorly today and I dont understand that. The 2 fumbles at the beginning gave the dolphins an automatic 6 pts so you take that off the 22 they allowed and they only gave up 16 points on their own. They won us the game IMO by holding the dolphins to 6 points or else the steelers would have been in trouble. Did they make some mistakes? yes, but overall they didnt do a bad job at all

nuclearchihuahuas
10-24-2010, 07:14 PM
The D did not play up to the standard we expect of them and fans of defensive football are truly disappointed when they do not. I personally can handle it if the Offense really sucks, but when the D plays badly or below expectation I am P.O.'d the next week. We just expected more from them thats all.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-24-2010, 07:23 PM
The secondary really has been spotty the past two weeks......But injuries and the heat took a toll on the defense today.......

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2010, 07:32 PM
The defense gutted it out, they had virtually nobody left on the defensive line to rotate in and out with the heat today. The secondary gave up way too many big plays over the last 2 weeks. In the end when it counted they gave up FG's instead of TD's and none of us can complain about that.

The backups like Worilds made some key plays and pressures, especially Worilds flushing out Henne on the last play of the game for Miami. Timmons also spent time on the outside too with Worilds, so virtually nobody on the front 7 was in their normal position all day. The secondary relies on a pass rush and today there wasn't much of one especially in the 2nd half.

super cleats
10-24-2010, 07:40 PM
The D did not play up to the standard we expect of them and fans of defensive football are truly disappointed when they do not. I personally can handle it if the Offense really sucks, but when the D plays badly or below expectation I am P.O.'d the next week. We just expected more from them thats all.

that, mixed with the prevent defense against the Ratbirds, Buccaneers and Browns, it's horrible to watch and gives up unnessecary yardage, if we played properly perhaps we would be ranked #1 across the board on everything.

oh wait.......................... apart from pass defense.

Farrior Fan
10-24-2010, 07:43 PM
I was a little shocked to see some of the comments in the gameday thread. People telling LeBeau to retire? Seriously? People screaming to go for it when we kicked the last FG? Yeah, take a 95% FG kick to take the lead or go for it on 4th (maybe a 65%).

When I learn a new trade or skill I generally sit back and observe people who know what the hell they are talking about. Obviously these are either bandwagon fans or they were joking.

airbrake 1
10-24-2010, 08:04 PM
wow PCP must be making a comeback if anyone really thinks dick lebeau should be let go(that must really be some powerful stuff)...i recall a few weeks ago how everyone was raving about how incredible our defense is...dick lebeau should stay as long as he wants...how far we have fallen in a few weeks kicking the ball to take the 23-22 lead was absolutely the right call..if our defense cant stop them we didn't deserve to win... there is an old quote "The coach who makes decisions based on what the fans in the stadium want, will soon be sitting with those fans"

Farrior Fan
10-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Amen brother

SteelDad
10-24-2010, 10:08 PM
There was definitely a lot of LeBeau hating during the game threads today but let's examine shall we? The defense gutted it out while missing Smith, Woodley, Keisel, among others at times today. We should be grateful they were able to do so considering the fatigue factor especially. Worilds came in and played well. He needs to get some opportunities in IMO. The problem with LeBeau is this.... Every week it seems to be the same thing. We bend, but don't break. We make a few good plays and usually keep people in front of us and wait for them to make mistakes (won't happen against better teams). That was NOT good pressure we applied on Henne today. I could have stood in that pocket today and believe me, that's a huge accomplishment. Our DB's are NOT good. Poor tackling today and why DL continues to play the corners off 15 yards is absolutely beyond me except for one thing. He knows they can't bump and cover. Our D-line is now banged up horribly and was already aging so if we are going to do anything this had better be the year. LeBeau has earned the right toleave on his terms, but it is clear that we are not adapting to things the offenses do as well as we once did.

steelersbabex25
10-24-2010, 10:21 PM
We were all hoping for a repeat of the '08 defense..but sorry to break it to you guys, as much as it looked like it at the beginning of the season, I just don't see that happening. Steelers defense was #1 across the board in '08, and sorry, but there's no chance in hell our secondary even gets us in the top 5 in pass defense. Not with the kind of defense that LeBeau has them playing. And with the loss of Aaron Smith, our run defense is going to suffer a whole lot.

Don't cut my head off, I'm just speaking the truth. Don't get me wrong, our defense is nothing to complain about, but they just aren't gonna be as dominant as we all thought they would be.

coldrolled
10-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Arians is a piece of crap.

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Anybody calling for Lebeau to leave is an absolute idiot !! The defense has been fine all year. This was the highest point total given up by this defense all year and 6 of those points were handed to the fishes. How can anybody complain about the way they have played ,granted we all pretty much hate the prevent but it is what it is.If ya get up on another team every defensive coach in the league goes into the prevent defense. Would we rather have pretty stats saying we are number one or would ya like to have wins?? I'll take wins. If ya want pretty stats root for the Chargers they lead the league in most of the categories on offense and defense,their record 2-5. Like they were saying in the other game I was watching today" stats don't tell the whole story"

BlacknGoldAC
10-24-2010, 11:27 PM
The Defense gave up ONE TD today.

KemoTherapy
10-25-2010, 12:58 PM
I was the lack of a pass rush, for whatever reasons (injuries and age no doubt), that allowed the QB to sit back comfortably and pick the team apart. That and being on the field too much in the 2nd half and getting gassed led to the game being a nailbiter.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-25-2010, 01:08 PM
I was surprised to learn that the defense is ranked 5th over all--not certain how that works with a 24th ranked pass D, but even as bad as that is all the other categories bring Steeler D to #5--not bad after Sundays meltdown.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-25-2010, 03:20 PM
They have still allowed the least amount of points in the league, that's saying something. And teams generally can't run on us but just little by little they are giving up more and more big plays and it's creeping up to becoming problematic.

LatrobePA
10-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Blitzing Troy is a complete waste of time, leave him in coverage. I watched him get pancaked too many times yesterday.

The replay is on tomorrow at 9:15, watch...

Steel Trap86
10-25-2010, 04:18 PM
I was a little shocked to see some of the comments in the gameday thread. People telling LeBeau to retire? Seriously? People screaming to go for it when we kicked the last FG? Yeah, take a 95% FG kick to take the lead or go for it on 4th (maybe a 65%).

When I learn a new trade or skill I generally sit back and observe people who know what the hell they are talking about. Obviously these are either bandwagon fans or they were joking.

When playing from behind or in any phase of adversity, those gameday threads are filled with babbling bandwagon bullshit from some people. Lebeau to reitre? How STUPID does that sound to you this monday afternoon? lol I've seen people in there say Tyler Thigpen is better then Big Ben, Holmes sucks, Woodley is a pussy and our defense is the worst in the league. Then there are other times they show there lack of knowledge for football and they just attack a players physical appearence lol when you win 2 superbowls in 5 years, this is what happens.

DanRooney
10-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Woodley is playing subpar this season. He can't continue to become relevant in only one half of seasons. We need guys like him to get pressure when he decides to rush.

The difference between this year and 2008 is we're not getting enough pass rush. Henne had eons of time back there and was able to find open holes in our D. Every time we are able to get pressure when we rush more than 4 (which isn't often for some reason this year), it seems to come from Harrison's side.

--- Added 10/25/2010 at 03:35 PM ---

Blitzing Troy is a complete waste of time, leave him in coverage. I watched him get pancaked too many times yesterday.

Agreed

steelers4life66
10-25-2010, 04:38 PM

He hasn't been effective on the blitz this year. Run stopper and cover man.

Phdboy2020
10-30-2010, 11:43 PM
Any one who has seen our D play during the last couple of weeks knows that we have not played as lights out as we did before Ben came back. That could be that they are either tired, or that they are trying to preserve players the best they can. However, we are still a top 5 D whether we are holding back or not. The D is still the best in turnover margin in the NFL and as long as that does not change, we will win ball games. During last weeks win vs the Dolphins, it wasnt that our D was playing bad, it was that the Dolphin's O-Line was playing like it was the superbowl. We do need to do a better job putting pressure on the QB this week or the Saints will surely give us a hard time. Go Steelers!