PDA

View Full Version : Play calling at the end of the half today...

Troyisabeast_43
10-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Was down right putrid,pathetic,and flat out inexcusable by Tomlin,Arians and the whole staff. The triple reverse play to Wallace that blew up was down right ridiculous to begin with especially when Ben had been absolutely torching the Dolphins secondary up to that point on that drive. Not just that but after Ben got sacked at about the 37 or 38 yard line with about 10 seconds left or so why not call a timeout and either have Reed try a 54 or 55 yard FG or have Ben throw one up to the end zone at the very least?? By not going for any type of points there very well could have and damn well almost costs the Steelers this game today. Tomlin knew points were going to be tough to come by today and for him to just conceed the clock and let it tick down to nothing and not try a long FG by Reed or throw a hail mary into the end zone was one of the worst decisions he has made since he has been the head coach of this team. It was flat out dumb and inexcusable not doing anything there... Was I the only one that was just absolutely fuming at the end of the half when they just let the ****ing clock run out or was anybody else doing the samething??

steelersbabex25
10-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Everyone was screaming at the TV when they let the clock run at the end of the half. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! It's a 56 yarder..GO FOR IT. Jesus.

Clevelandsux
10-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Well Reed hasn't exactly been accurate this year. Ive been calling for Arians head for 3 years now. He has no imagination. I mean ken whiz, mullarkey would have had dixon out there in a slash role by now (yes I know he's injured right now). Arians is too predictable. Its like a few weeks ago vs Baltimore. Its 3 and 4 in Baltimore territory, he throws the ball into the end zone? Get the first down, keep the drive going. This was Batch, not ben???

steelersbabex25
10-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Well Reed hasn't exactly been accurate this year.

But what do you have to lose with 4 seconds left in the half?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Play calling in general was craptastic today. I mean seriously, the run game is not working and I understand that we need to try and run but there's time when you use alternatives and then sneak in the run off the pass. Arians continued to pound Mendy and we lost yardage. Once again Ben makes the plays that Arians screws up.

The play calling at the end of the half was so unacceptable that he should be strung up in front of Heinz Field and beaten!

Seriously, you run a reverse when you have backups in on the right side???? We've not had a successful reverse all year.

SteelJunkie
10-24-2010, 06:44 PM
But what do you have to lose with 4 seconds left in the half?

his kick being short and ran back for a touchdown.

steelersbabex25
10-24-2010, 06:49 PM
his kick being short and ran back for a touchdown.

No chance. Reed had the leg to get it 55 yards. If he had kicked and missed it would be outside the uprights not short.

LatrobePA
10-24-2010, 06:56 PM
We should of lost today with the crappy *** play calling. BA just barely sqeaked this one out...He SUCKS!!

steelersbabex25
10-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Only good play call was the Ben rush..but of course Ben managed to f*&% that up.

LatrobePA
10-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Only good play call was the Ben rush..but of course Ben managed to f*&% that up.

I didn't, you have a QB that had already fumbled twice, give it to a RB...

Troyisabeast_43
10-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Why did they use Moore on the goaline there and continually take Mendenhall out of the lineup especially on the last drive there?? It made absolutely no sense to me at all...

madtowndrunkard
10-24-2010, 07:09 PM
This was the epitome of Bruce Arians. Arian's in ability to call a game shined today. It's comical. The only reason he's not been fired is because our defense and Ben.

I find it strange that as soon as Ben is back we can no longer run the ball but we can put up 300 yards passing.

With the talent we have offensively we should have the best offense in the league - period.

Ben's problem....and it's always been his problem.....he makes his fair share of game changing mistakes .....to go with his game changing plays. He's very much like Favre in that aspect. There is something to be said with the way we were winning with Ben out. At least our QB's weren't fumbling balls....they were getting 1st downs and not hurting us. Ben will hit a WR for a TD, but he'll also take sacks, fumble the ball, throw INt's. etc. The guy will take you on an emotional roller coaster every week.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-24-2010, 07:18 PM
This was the epitome of Bruce Arians. Arian's in ability to call a game shined today. It's comical. The only reason he's not been fired is because our defense and Ben.

I find it strange that as soon as Ben is back we can no longer run the ball but we can put up 300 yards passing.

With the talent we have offensively we should have the best offense in the league - period.

Ben's problem....and it's always been his problem.....he makes his fair share of game changing mistakes .....to go with his game changing plays. He's very much like Favre in that aspect. There is something to be said with the way we were winning with Ben out. At least our QB's weren't fumbling balls....they were getting 1st downs and not hurting us. Ben will hit a WR for a TD, but he'll also take sacks, fumble the ball, throw INt's. etc. The guy will take you on an emotional roller coaster every week.

Yea our QB's were passing for a big 150 yards a game with Ben out.....lol Yea we would have won today with Batch or Leftwich today....lol The Steelers running game didn't get it done today and it wouldn't have been different with Batch or any other QB in there...lol

HUNT4SEVEN
10-24-2010, 07:30 PM
As long as BA is calling plays we are gonna have games like this...

nuclearchihuahuas
10-24-2010, 07:41 PM
As long as BA is calling plays we are gonna have games like this...

not sure I can take another one like this one--how about if we just hang onto the ball and not get ourselves into a position like we were at the end of the game?

BLACKnGOLD58
10-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Arians has to go, that was ridiculous

igor0190
10-24-2010, 08:40 PM
-Reverse call was absolutely terrible with 1:00 left in the 2nd Q... even if it worked for 10 yards it would have been dumb... wast of time on the clock. PLay takes too long to develop and was risky when our passing game was clicking at the time.

-Using Moore at the goaline was ridiculous especially when we have two better options in Mendy and Redman... (Redman had just had a nice run)

-I actually liked the call for the QB draw in that situation.

-Running game was not working today... why consistently call similar plays on first down EVERY damn time... try a draw play for once!

Farrior Fan
10-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Is it legal for 92 to launch himself in a dangerous and wreckless manner and aim for the head of our OC? We can pretty much guarantee ourselves a ticket to Dallas if we don't call retard plays. These reverses are beyond stupid, you are not in HS. Of course if I was a HS head coach I wouldn't want BA coaching my O.

coldrolled
10-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Is it legal for 92 to launch himself in a dangerous and wreckless manner and aim for the head of our OC? We can pretty much guarantee ourselves a ticket to Dallas if we don't call retard plays. These reverses are beyond stupid, you are not in HS. Of course if I was a HS head coach I wouldn't want BA coaching my O.

that would mean possilbly knocking some sense into him.... that may be a bad call :lol:

he might get good enough to get a new contract... BA is wasting a great team...

Watch GB's play calling.. they may not win tonight but the play calling is still smooth..

GB has execution problems.. we have play calling problems. :banging:

jpele
10-25-2010, 12:05 AM
Play calling in general was craptastic today. I mean seriously, the run game is not working

Agreed the play calling sucked but I have to wonder about the running game. Adams is a damn good run blocker yet we ran Mendy to the left after Adams injury we started to run right or maybe it was just me ?

steelchamp204
10-25-2010, 01:13 AM

Are you serious, Ben is not as bad as FARVE, please dont compare the two, Yea Ben might take sacks but what qb doesnt? And dont put that fumble on Ben, Arians shoulda called a run play to redman, so thats not on Ben, Hes taught to pass the ball not run and expect to run like AP, Yea it might be a rollercoaster sometimes but hes got 5td's and 1 int, hes at a 122 passer rating, you just go ahead and take batch ok

steelersbabex25
10-25-2010, 07:52 AM
How many INTs did Favre have last night?

JensK
10-25-2010, 07:57 AM
How many INTs did Favre have last night?

3. How many fumbles did Ben have last night?

See what i did there? :grin1:

steelersgal86
10-25-2010, 08:16 AM

:duh: isnt that why we wanted Ben to come back...to make some great passes to Wallace and the others that batch could not...or would not...I agree we do still need to run the ball..but that is why we have ben...to put yards up!!!

igor0190
10-25-2010, 10:39 AM
"I screwed up. I've got to give Jeff (Reed) an opportunity to bang that. I've given Jeff those opportunities before, particularly with the wind at his back. I hesitated a little bit there, and I didn't give it to him."

Mike Tomlin, Steelers coach, on why he didn't attempt a long field goal at the end of the first half.

You hesitated because you were thinking about walking over to Arians and punching him in the face for his stupid reverse call. Lost your focus... So did I.

coldrolled
10-25-2010, 10:45 AM
You hesitated because you were thinking about walking over to Arians and punching him in the face for his stupid reverse call. Lost your focus... So did I.

:yellowthumb: Please give the play calling to someone else. they said when ben came back arians was going to open up the play book... to bad he closed the running game section of the book.... is mendy hurt? moore on goal line? what happen to johnson and redman, or the pony with redman and mendy? or some real play action?

LatrobePA
10-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Mendy had 15 carries, they didn't run enough IMO. Yes we won, but play calling was HORRID!

Steelersfan
10-25-2010, 11:07 AM
3. How many fumbles did Ben have last night?

See what i did there? :grin1:

Yes, but........the first fumble is on Ben for trying to make a play, The 2nd is on the OL cause Ben got sandwiched! The TD, well he isn't a RB and got hit hard. Still, I expect him to hang on to the ball in that spot.

Mendy had 15 carries, they didn't run enough IMO. Yes we won, but play calling was HORRID!

Run where? This was the OL's worse game of the year so far. Mendy had no where to go most of the time. I would have liked to have seen some more play action in certain situations to open up the run game though. Back to play calling.

LatrobePA
10-25-2010, 11:14 AM
They didn't give the run game a chance...Running up the gut of a stacked box is never going to work.

Again play calling bad!

Steelersfan
10-25-2010, 11:19 AM
They didn't give the run game a chance...Running up the gut of a stacked box is never going to work.

Again play calling bad!

The running game wasn't going anywhere but backwards most of the game. They should of lit of the Fins secondary more as it was working. Then throw some play action in and the running game would of opened up. The passing game will take care of that stacked box!

coldrolled
10-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Run where? This was the OL's worse game of the year so far. Mendy had no where to go most of the time. I would have liked to have seen some more play action in certain situations to open up the run game though. Back to play calling.

maybe around the ends... maybe around the tackles... maybe up the middle with redman as fullback is better than up the middle with mendy by himself.. or maybe a few combinations of some differnet run plays.. johnson/mendy johnson/redman redman/ mendy or how about redman/mendy and actually fake them out and give redman the ball.. a fullback running the ball. wow! or a draw play? i remember a spint draw also was working...

you get what i mean.. not just mendy running all alone out of the backfield all day. and yes some play action would really help..

Steelersfan
10-25-2010, 11:27 AM
maybe around the ends... maybe around the tackles... maybe up the middle with redman as fullback is better than up the middle with mendy by himself.. or maybe a few combinations of some differnet run plays.. johnson/mendy johnson/redman redman/ mendy or how about redman/mendy and actually fake them out and give redman the ball.. a fullback running the ball. wow! or a draw play? i remember a spint draw also was working...

you get what i mean.. not just mendy running all alone out of the backfield all day. and yes some play action would really help..

The game I saw had Miami blowing up our OL most of the day, which means you can try and run where you want but it won't matter when getting hit before the line. Trust me, I'm all for the run when it's working. But the way the OL was playing the Steelers were going no where running.

Why I say if they want to sell out to stop the run throw on them! Not unlike a SB run we had.

steelers4life66
10-25-2010, 03:31 PM
I couldn't believe they ran a reverse either. Not when we're on the edge of FG range. It seems like we had this problem last year, but most of the time it was sacks cuz of Ben trying to make a play instead of throwing the ball away. I know you want TD's, but with a good D, you can win with FG's.

coldrolled
10-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Hurt?

Rashard Mendenhall's shoulder. If Mendenhall's injury lingers and the Steelers become one-dimensional again, it's unlikely they can keep up this mastery of the league.

Time for Dwyer to dress?

steelersbabex25
10-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Hurt?

Rashard Mendenhall's shoulder. If Mendenhall's injury lingers and the Steelers become one-dimensional again, it's unlikely they can keep up this mastery of the league.

Time for Dwyer to dress?

:scratch: When did this happen?

coldrolled
10-25-2010, 07:54 PM
:scratch: When did this happen?

last week. he hurt the shoulder, they said shoulder contusion. obviously it was hurting him yesterday, i cant blame arians for sidelining him.. he was hurt. :grin1:

steelersbabex25
10-25-2010, 07:56 PM
last week. he hurt the shoulder, they said shoulder contusion. obviously it was hurting him yesterday, i cant blame arians for sidelining him.. he was hurt. :grin1:

They interviewed Tomlin asking if he was hurt and he said no. Maybe they sidelined him cause he was sucking..

coldrolled
10-25-2010, 08:07 PM
They interviewed Tomlin asking if he was hurt and he said no. Maybe they sidelined him cause he was sucking..

maybe they want the saints to think he is fine too. :thinking:

--- Added 10/25/2010 at 06:04 PM ---

LAST GAME. Cleveland at Pittsburgh - Sunday, October 17, 2010 ... Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Prob Sun - Shoulder - 10/19/10, Mendenhall suffered a left shoulder contusion in Week 6 against the Browns but is expected to play in Sunday's ...

--- Added 10/25/2010 at 06:07 PM ---

Tuesday - Rashard Mendenhall has a bruised shoulder and will sit out early in the week. Tomlin admitted to being concerned with Mendenhall's heavy workload and - as I said on another post this week - look for Isaac Redman to spell him a little more often moving forward in an attempt to keep him a little more fresh.

SteelDad
10-25-2010, 10:55 PM
It concerns me mightily if our HC says he should have given Jeff the chance to 'bang it' before halftime. What in the hell were you thinking about Mike? Why were you not focused on the task at hand? I really like Tomlin, but this kind of thing worries me. We had a legit shot at 3 points (prior to stupid f'in reverse) and even had a shot before crawling in at the half. You gotta take shots man!

Troyisabeast_43
10-25-2010, 11:34 PM
It concerns me mightily if our HC says he should have given Jeff the chance to 'bang it' before halftime. What in the hell were you thinking about Mike? Why were you not focused on the task at hand? I really like Tomlin, but this kind of thing worries me. We had a legit shot at 3 points (prior to stupid f'in reverse) and even had a shot before crawling in at the half. You gotta take shots man!

I agree it was one of the dumbest,stupidest,inexcusable things that Mike Tomlin has done since he was named the head coach of the Steelers in 2007. These are the kind of things that a head coach and a coaching staff in general just cannot screw up. Clock management is a key part of being a good head coach and more times then we have liked to seen over the years Tomlin has done a lot of bonehead moves in terms of using the clock. Nothing was worse then what he did yesterday. Had the Steelers lost the game not going for any points before the half would have been seriously pointed at big time as a main reason why the Steelers lost the game. Tomlin has got to get his head out of his *** and quit fist pumping so much sometimes there on the sidelines and being a cheerleader and start thinking more about game situations and what you need to do before the end of a half to put points on the board. Tomlin had better not make another stupid mistake like that again where you have a chance for a long FG with 2 timeouts still left and 30 seconds on the clock and you just let it run out and dont do nothing. Ill say it again it was absolutely ridiculous and flat out inexcusable on Tomlin's part and it damn near costs the Steelers the game...

steelersbabex25
10-25-2010, 11:38 PM

He was out to lunch.

Farrior Fan
10-26-2010, 02:34 AM
I agree it was one of the dumbest,stupidest,inexcusable things that Mike Tomlin has done since he was named the head coach of the Steelers in 2007. These are the kind of things that a head coach and a coaching staff in general just cannot screw up. Clock management is a key part of being a good head coach and more times then we have liked to seen over the years Tomlin has done a lot of bonehead moves in terms of using the clock. Nothing was worse then what he did yesterday. Had the Steelers lost the game not going for any points before the half would have been seriously pointed at big time as a main reason why the Steelers lost the game. Tomlin has got to get his head out of his *** and quit fist pumping so much sometimes there on the sidelines and being a cheerleader and start thinking more about game situations and what you need to do before the end of a half to put points on the board. Tomlin had better not make another stupid mistake like that again where you have a chance for a long FG with 2 timeouts still left and 30 seconds on the clock and you just let it run out and dont do nothing. Ill say it again it was absolutely ridiculous and flat out inexcusable on Tomlin's part and it damn near costs the Steelers the game...

Dont forget the onsides kick to start the game against the Skins in 08. I really think our coaches have gone full retard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGRJA28lY

coldrolled
10-26-2010, 09:08 AM
i think someone said it yesterday, tomlin was thinking about ways to kill arians, and forgot the clock.. this may be the truest statement. something tomlin can't even admit :loL:

igor0190
10-26-2010, 10:53 AM
i think someone said it yesterday, tomlin was thinking about ways to kill arians, and forgot the clock.. this may be the truest statement. something tomlin can't even admit :loL:

Ohh there is NO DOUBT in my mind that is what happened...
Running that reverse was absolutely idiotic and Tomlin knew it. Of course he can't admit it.

LatrobePA
10-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Ohh there is NO DOUBT in my mind that is what happened...
Running that reverse was absolutely idiotic and Tomlin knew it. Of course he can't admit it.

I watch the game at my parents place and I'm on probation for cussing, this call almost got me banned for life!!

harpo
10-26-2010, 11:38 AM
"I screwed up. I've got to give Jeff (Reed) an opportunity to bang that. I've given Jeff those opportunities before, particularly with the wind at his back. I hesitated a little bit there, and I didn't give it to him."

Mike Tomlin, Steelers coach, on why he didn't attempt a long field goal at the end of the first half.

LOL....love this quote!!!! :lol::yellowthumb:

SteelDad
10-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Tomlin's new motto: "Make the world a better place. Punch Bruce Arians in the face."

--- Added 10/26/2010 at 09:47 AM ---

Very well said. :clap:

I think Tomlin is very good at motivation (sans unleash hell comment) and does a nice job with strategy and player evaluation, but game management definitely needs work. If you look back on some of the close games we've lost during his tenure, there are certainly some clock management issues there to blame. He's young, so I'll give him some time on this, but I only have so many patience....:2cents: