PDA

View Full Version : Controversial call at goal line with Ben.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2010, 05:08 PM
It was the right call by the way the rules are written. I don't think anybody but the refs knew about that rule but it's true. Ben did cough it up on the half yard line but if the officials can't definitively see who recovered it goes back to the offense.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-24-2010, 05:10 PM
It was the right call by the way the rules are written. I don't think anybody but the refs knew about that rule but it's true. Ben did cough it up on the half yard line but if the officials can't definitively see who recovered it goes back to the offense.

I think Legursky had in on the ground--but it doesn't matter now

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2010, 05:12 PM
I looked initially that there were 2 Dolphins players that dove for it but Legursky then dove in and after that nobody could tell. I'll be honest I didn't know about that mandatory 2nd view needed to make the call to overturn a call like that.

LatrobePA
10-24-2010, 05:24 PM
We won, but it'll be discussed all week...F the talking heads!

Black@Gold Forever32
10-24-2010, 05:26 PM
I can't fault Ben for trying to win the game..........He almost got in.........I honestly can't see who recovered so I think the officials made the right call and I'm not being a homer.......We won and that is all that matters.....

People got to remember that one play doesn't lose a game....The Dolphins got two gifts early in the game and only could score field goals....That is why they lost.......

nuclearchihuahuas
10-24-2010, 05:27 PM

yep! I thought the ref did a great job of explaining but u r right we will hear about it all week

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2010, 05:41 PM
This rule will be discussed at length this week. The call was correct, you can't dispute that. However the rule honestly does needs to be clarified and possibly amended in some fashion. You should not be determining possession with review, only if it was a fumble or not.

Troyisabeast_43
10-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Miami had plenty of chances to win the game by putting the ball in the end zone instead of settling for 3 time and time again and failed to do so...That;s what lost this game for them not the play at the end...Huge huge win in the AFC for the Steelers especially seeing that the Ravens unfortunately came back and beat worthless ****ing Buffalo in OT just now...

nuclearchihuahuas
10-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Miami had plenty of chances to win the game by putting the ball in the end zone instead of settling for 3 time and time again and failed to do so...That;s what lost this game for them not the play at the end...Huge huge win in the AFC for the Steelers especially seeing that the Ravens unfortunately came back and beat worthless ****ing Buffalo in OT just now...

We knew we couldn't count on Buffalo so no harm no foul...sure would have been fun to have the hapless bills beat the ratbirds though---that I would have enjoyed all week!

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-24-2010, 05:45 PM
They made correct call. Whistles wer going for touchdown ,that was the signal. They had no reason to bother sort through the pile to see who had recovered the fumble...

SteelerDan43
10-24-2010, 06:06 PM
If you are a Dolphin fan you are irate at the moment, as a Steeler fan I would say I am indifferent. Correct to the rule yes, but did it significantly change the game? Yes. Is it something that is going to be looked at/changed? Yes, and it should be.

steelersbabex25
10-24-2010, 06:14 PM
I can't fault Ben for trying to win the game..........He almost got in.........I honestly can't see who recovered so I think the officials made the right call and I'm not being a homer.......We won and that is all that matters.....

People got to remember that one play doesn't lose a game....The Dolphins got two gifts early in the game and only could score field goals....That is why they lost.......

I CAN. You need to be holding that ball with two hands. Love the play call, hate how it was executed. Didn't he learn anything from Jerome Bettis?

That being said, it was the correct call. But we all know that people will be fuming about this all week, just because it's the Steelers. Side note: I was at a Steeler restaurant watching the game, and it was so funny when the ref said the first part, and to hear the entire Dolphins stadium cheering, and then he said "however" and everyone at the bar started cheering :lol:

Clevelandsux
10-24-2010, 06:41 PM
The refs made the correct call. There was no evidence on who recovered. That's the rules.

Troyisabeast_43
10-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Like myself and 32 said if the Dolphins didnt want it to be a deciding factor in the game they should have scored TDs instead of settling for 5 FGS instead. The fact that Miami got the ball twice inside the redzone the first two drives of the game on Steelers fumbles and only got 6 points out of it instead of maybe 14 or even 10 for that matter was a huge deciding factor in this game. The Steelers got TDs when they needed too most in this game and the Dolphins didnt. Plus, Miami got the ball back with 2:30 left and had plenty of time to drive down the field and get in FG range to win the game and didnt do it...They had their chances today to win this game the Steelers just played a little bit better then they did and took more advantage of the opportunities they got...

Moondog
10-24-2010, 07:10 PM
I just wish this win wasn't so controversial, all I'll hear all week is "the NFL wants the Steelers to win" and blah, blah, blah. People love to hate.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-24-2010, 07:14 PM
I CAN. You need to be holding that ball with two hands. Love the play call, hate how it was executed. Didn't he learn anything from Jerome Bettis?

That being said, it was the correct call. But we all know that people will be fuming about this all week, just because it's the Steelers. Side note: I was at a Steeler restaurant watching the game, and it was so funny when the ref said the first part, and to hear the entire Dolphins stadium cheering, and then he said "however" and everyone at the bar started cheering :lol:

Ben tried to make the play but came up short....Christ it happens....lol We don't win the game without Ben today.......Batch wouldn't have made the plays Ben did today

Dolphins had two gifts right off the bat to start the game and had to settle for field goals.....That really decided the game and our defense was huge in the win in holding the Dolphins to field goals........

LatrobePA
10-24-2010, 07:15 PM
I just wish this win wasn't so controversial, all I'll hear all week is "the NFL wants the Steelers to win" and blah, blah, blah. People love to hate.

Water under the bridge, we won and they can't take it away!!

GoBenGo
10-24-2010, 07:47 PM
I'll take a controversial win to a shoulda won any day....let em all hate us all the way to the big dance....just win baby...they aren't having these discussions in Billsville, Browntown, or Bungleton :cope:
That said, moon:
:yellowthumb: great name
:plus1: great av.
:cope:

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!||
|..........STEELERS........| ||'|""\;,___.
L...._...________=== |=| |__|..., *]-
"(@)'(@)"""""""**|(@)(@)*****"/(@)
Sent from my iPad

steelersbabex25
10-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Ben tried to make the play but came up short....Christ it happens....lol We don't win the game without Ben today.......Batch wouldn't have made the plays Ben did today

Dolphins had two gifts right off the bat to start the game and had to settle for field goals.....That really decided the game and our defense was huge in the win in holding the Dolphins to field goals........

He could have tried to make the play while holding the football properly.

Zachintosh66
10-24-2010, 07:54 PM
We got a gift today, plain and simple...

Black@Gold Forever32
10-24-2010, 08:03 PM
He could have tried to make the play while holding the football properly.

Tell you what lets trade number 7 since he can't hold onto the ball properly and maybe we can try and trade up to get Jake Locker from Washington or Andrew Luck from Stanford to be our QB........

Fact remains with Ben's three fumbles today only one really hurt us at the end....That was the first that led to a field goal........The first two fumbles were bone head plays by Ben no doubt.....But you and every Steelers fan should know by know that Ben is always going to have those type of plays and he is who he is.........The third fumble yea he should have secured the ball better but in the heat of the moment he is trying to score and the ball came out....It happens.......

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Ben had his issues today, and he had the ball tucked in on his way down but he was also trying to reach for the goal line. That's what you do in a situation like that on 3rd down. Reach and try to make the TD, especially with the game on the line.

I can't fault Ben for that last fumble, I wish he wouldn't have but it happens with all those bodies in there. He's not a running back used to taking that much of a pounding at the goal line.

Fanforlife
10-24-2010, 08:09 PM

I agree with Moondog! I get tired of hearing people complain about the steelers winning all the time. We can't help what happens besides there has been a lot of times when we would get calls that don't go our way. You don't hear us bitch!? :rant2:

:6smile:

Root4Stlrs
10-24-2010, 09:07 PM
The Sports Center analysts, specifically Boomer and Tom Jackson, said the call at the end "smells" and implied that the refs made the call because they're from Pittsburgh (head official and head linesman). They pointed out that they were the two officials who called Ben's play a TD. How unprofessional can these analysts be? Tom Jackson said "I saw more than fair to middling evidence that the Dolphins had the ball. I saw a Miami Dolphin get up with the ball." I didn't see that. Did anyone else?

--- Added 10/24/2010 at 07:07 PM ---

Ben had his issues today, and he had the ball tucked in on his way down but he was also trying to reach for the goal line. That's what you do in a situation like that on 3rd down. Reach and try to make the TD, especially with the game on the line.

I can't fault Ben for that last fumble, I wish he wouldn't have but it happens with all those bodies in there. He's not a running back used to taking that much of a pounding at the goal line.

Ben said the guy hit his arm really hard and it actually went numb for awhile. He followed that up with the comment that he wasn't trying to make excuses - he still had to hold onto the ball.

LatrobePA
10-24-2010, 09:27 PM
From Ben;

I had the ball under the pile, the ref tapped me and said TD so I got up, that's when a phin player picked it up.

steelersbabex25
10-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Tell you what lets trade number 7 since he can't hold onto the ball properly and maybe we can try and trade up to get Jake Locker from Washington or Andrew Luck from Stanford to be our QB........

Fact remains with Ben's three fumbles today only one really hurt us at the end....That was the first that led to a field goal........The first two fumbles were bone head plays by Ben no doubt.....But you and every Steelers fan should know by know that Ben is always going to have those type of plays and he is who he is.........The third fumble yea he should have secured the ball better but in the heat of the moment he is trying to score and the ball came out....It happens.......

Jesus. Saying that he should have put the ball away doesn't mean anything more than that.

GoBenGo
10-24-2010, 09:30 PM
From Ben;

I had the ball under the pile, the ref tapped me and said TD so I got up, that's when a phin player picked it up.
...bens right...the video got it wrong..:lol:

steelersbabex25
10-24-2010, 09:33 PM
From Ben;

How is that physically possible? He was lying on the ground and he the ball was 2 yards in front of him. :dunno:

LatrobePA
10-24-2010, 10:06 PM
They showed it a few times, he gets his hands back in there. But so did 22 other players..

indy_steelers
10-24-2010, 11:06 PM

Like =)

--- Added 10/24/2010 at 09:06 PM ---

How is that physically possible? He was lying on the ground and he the ball was 2 yards in front of him. :dunno:

That is what I thought too but when I saw it again, he was in the pile.

Zachintosh66
10-24-2010, 11:10 PM
In all honesty, call it what you will but it is a "W" and a gift... one in the same.

indy_steelers
10-24-2010, 11:12 PM
I hope some can help me with this. I have seen guys drop the ball at the one foot line and the refs call it a TD. During that game the other team was not able to challenge the call for some reason and it was ruled a TD. What am I missing?

Black@Gold Forever32
10-24-2010, 11:13 PM
In all honesty, call it what you will but it is a "W" and a gift... one in the same.

I understand your point....But I hate when fans and teams blame a football game on one call.......The Dolphins got two early turn overs in prime field position and couldn't get a touch down both times.........The Dolphins offensive failures in the redzone had more to do with them losing this game then this particular call......

steelersbabex25
10-24-2010, 11:14 PM
That is what I thought too but when I saw it again, he was in the pile.

Really? Well I haven't re-watched it so I'll take your word for it.

jpele
10-24-2010, 11:53 PM
Dolphin fan can cry all they want, but here are the facts:

Miami at Pitt 21 had to kick FG
Miami at Pitt 5 had to kick FG
Miami at Pitt 4 had to kick FG
Miami at Pitt 19 had to kick FG
Miami at Pitt 22 had to kick FG

Thats 20 points left on the field

As for the controversial call. The whistle was blown and the players were told it was a TD so they had no reason to continue fighting for the ball. If they kept on fighting Legursky had just as good a chance to come out of the pile with the ball as anyone else.

Or we could call it karma for the ref's missing the pass interference on Ward,the announcers didn't miss it as the stated that Miami got away with one.

After that Miami had 2:30 to get in FG range,poor play calling , clock management and the Steeler D took care of that.

LatrobePA
10-25-2010, 12:20 AM

As for the controversial call. The whistle was blown and the players were told it was a TD so they had no reason to continue fighting for the ball. If they kept on fighting Legursky had just as good a chance to come out of the pile with the ball as anyone else.

Or we could call it karma for the ref's missing the pass interference on Ward,the announcers didn't miss it as the stated that Miami got away with one.

After that Miami had 2:30 to get in FG range,poor play calling , clock management and the Steeler D took care of that.

You nailed it!

Root4Stlrs
10-25-2010, 01:53 AM
Really? Well I haven't re-watched it so I'll take your word for it.

Yes, I just saw it again and paid more attention to the pile this time. Immediately after the fumble, Ben was sitting on the ground a few feet behind the "scrum" - I think he thought he had scored a TD then realized he needed to get into the pile. Legursky was also in there so the Miami fans and all the talking heads like Boomer and Tom Jackson can whine all they want, but it was just as likely to be the Steelers' ball as it was the Dolphins'. The whiners are assuming it was the Dolphins' ball b/c some no name Dolphin linebacker picked it up but that was after the players stopped fighting for it b/c they thought the play was over.

--- Added 10/24/2010 at 11:53 PM ---

Great post, especially the last part about the Dolphins and how poorly they played at the end. What was up with those horrible play calls? For a minute I thought Bruce Arians had morphed into a Dolphins coach.

greennick
10-25-2010, 03:04 AM

Spot on. This won't stop fin fans from complaining though! Their players really need to pull their head in though. I guess we played average and still won, they just really want to blame anyone but themselves for it.

steelchamp204
10-25-2010, 08:57 AM
We got lucky on that call no doubt the refs effd that one up, Im happy we won though.

StlersGuy
10-25-2010, 09:02 AM
The rules are very clear and the refs where just going by them. Great teams have luck on there side and I will take it a win is a win een if its by 1 point...

Root4Stlrs
10-25-2010, 10:26 AM
The call may have been controversial, but it was the correct call according to the rules. Refs didn't mess up anything. They called a TD on the field so the play was over. I do think we were lucky in the sense that I really don't know who would have come up with that ball. It looked like the Dolphins fell on it initially but you couldn't see who actually had it. Then they apparently stopped fighting for it once they thought TD had been scored.

coldrolled
10-25-2010, 10:31 AM
the call is a TD. play over... even if miami had the ball it should still go back to pittsburgh because in reality they didnt try to get the ball. they scored 6... just logical. for miami it is a bad break.. oh well.

LatrobePA
10-25-2010, 10:38 AM
the call is a TD. play over... even if miami had the ball it should still go back to pittsburgh because in reality they didnt try to get the ball. they scored 6... just logical. for miami it is a bad break.. oh well.

You're right the play was called a TD it's over...Doesn't matter who picked the ball up at that point it was DEAD...:banana:

Troyisabeast_43
10-25-2010, 12:01 PM
I love how Karlos Dansby said in a quote that they had their way with the Steelers up and down the field today and had it stolen from them. What a load of ****...The Dolphins got held to 5 FGS and didnt put the ball in the end zone when they needed too and that was the difference in the game. I love how this idiot completely overlooked that. Yea you really dominated the Steelers Karlos when Ben threw the ball for over 300 yards all over your sorry asses...Bunch of ****ing whiners...

LatrobePA
10-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Just think, when they miss the PO's it'll be this games fault...

F them!

coach
10-25-2010, 12:15 PM
It was possibly a fortunate call for us and we have been on the losing call of replay rules before. But, the NFL says the crew made the right call:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-10/big-ben-fumble

Let's move on to next week.
Who dat sufferin from SB Hangover?

SteelDad
10-25-2010, 12:53 PM
I haven't seen one publication that said the officials screwed this up. Let's give the officials credit when they make the correct calls and this one was correct according to the rule book. Now if you (non-Steelers' fans) want to argue about it having been called a TD in the first place then that is your right, but consider this.... Roethlisberger's back was to the official who made the TD call thus blocking the official's view of the ball. Even though the ball may have been loose, to that official it was clear that he crossed the goal line and the ball hadn't yet appeared as fumbled. If you want to bitch fish fans, then bitch about settling for FG's instead of scoring TD's when we gift-wrapped two turnovers for you.

xxxsteelernation
10-25-2010, 08:54 PM
I thought the rule was that if possession can not be determined by the time the whistle blows the play dead the offense retains the ball, like exactly what happend in the game.
and watching the play again it could be assumed and yea probably was recovered by a dolphin player. but as the whistle blew there was no difinitave player that had possesion. by the time the miami player came out of the pile the whistle had already blown the call dead.