PDA

View Full Version : Rooney backs Harrison, who is appealing his 75K fine

75Steeler
10-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Post-Gazette.com 10/22/10

Not only does Steelers president Art Rooney disagree with the NFL's ruling on James Harrison's hit, but he also signaled a cautionary warning to the league that continuing to be so heavy-handed could have consequences.

Mr. Rooney, in an interview with the Post-Gazette Thursday, said the team would back Mr. Harrison in his appeal of a $75,000 fine the league issued to him Tuesday for what it claimed was an illegal high hit on Cleveland wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi.

"We've told James that if he decides to appeal, he has our support," Mr. Rooney said. Mr. Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, said he filed an appeal Wednesday.

"I think the play was a legal hit," Mr. Rooney said. "It's on the borderline, though."

Borderline is not flagrant, and Mr. Rooney said he was more concerned about how the league moves forward on such hits, and cautioned that suspensions, as threatened by the league, should not be doled out willy-nilly.

"The thing I'm concerned about going forward is the level of discipline and how far we're going with that," Mr. Rooney said. "And I hope that the league office is going to draw a distinction between a flagrant hit, an egregious hit -- whatever these words are that are getting thrown around -- versus something that is a violation but is not flagrant."

Mr. Rooney joined coach Mike Tomlin and Mr. Harrison himself in declaring the hit on Mr. Massaquoi a clean one.

"James' play, I think, was a football play," Mr. Rooney said. "I understand the part about not launching yourself. I think that's the part that was on the borderline. I mean, did he lunge at the guy to make the tackle or did he launch himself?"

Mr. Harrison's fine was the largest of three the league issued to players for what it termed illegal hits during games on Sunday. New England's Brandon Meriweather and Atlanta's Dunta Robinson each were fined $50,000 for their hits.

While not saying the word, it was obvious Mr. Rooney believed that the NFL overreacted to at least two of those plays. He says the only one that should have drawn such a fine was Mr. Meriweather's helmet-to-helmet hit on Baltimore tight end Todd Heap.

"If you look at the plays last weekend, there was only one play ... that was flagrant; and yet when the fine comes out, our guy gets the biggest fine.

"My concern going forward is how is this discipline going to be handled, and are they going to try to draw a distinction as far as suspensions between something that is flagrant and something that's just a fine. I hope that is the direction we're going in, but I don't know."

Mr. Rooney said he was speaking out of concern for the sport and not merely because one of his players was fined.

"Look, we have to be concerned with player safety. I'm in agreement, I think we're all in agreement that the helmet-to-helmet hits are something we have to find ways to take out of the game as much as we can. The other side of it is, it's still football, and guys are out there trying to make tackles. There's going to be helmet-to-helmet contact on occasion.

"I don't think that you can say every time there's one of those hits and a guy gets knocked out that a guy should be suspended for it. I just don't think we can be that black and white."

NFL owners such as Mr. Rooney voted for the safety rules, including a more stringent one added in March in which a receiver must be able to have a split second to put himself in position to protect himself before he gets nailed. However, the owners are not the ones issuing the fines and/or suspensions. That job belongs to Ray Anderson, the NFL vice president of football operations.

"I'm supportive in general trying to take the hits out of the game if we can," Mr. Rooney said. "But I'd hope we don't overreact and we try to draw distinctions between what's flagrant and what isn't flagrant."

Mr. Rooney also believes that criticism of officials for not calling penalties on borderline plays -- none was called Sunday on Mr. Harrison's hit on Mr. Massaquoi -- could prompt officials to throw flags more often and hurt the game's quality.

"It's not a play that stuck out as, boom, there's one that should be flagged," Mr. Rooney said. "I think that's another concern: Are we now going to see flags on any kind of close call like this? The stuff that's happened on the field, a lot of times it's, as we say, a bang-bang play, it happens so fast that the officials are going to miss a call. Fine, let that be reviewed by the league office, let it be handled that way.

"If we're now going to see flags all over the place every time somebody hits somebody, I'm concerned about where that's going in terms of the quality of the game."

Mr. Rooney said he had spoken to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell but had received no promises of how the league would react to such future hits.

"I don't know that we're going to know where this is going until we see the discipline as the weeks go on," Mr. Rooney said. "I think right now this is kind of a new phase, and so we're going to have to see how they're going to deal with it. I have not been given any assurance that there is going to be a distinction made between the flagrant and the nonflagrant hits. But I hope that's the way it's going to be handled as far as suspensions. ... It's really a question of how far is it going to go? And when we bring suspensions into it, I don think suspensions should be a routine discipline that we have every time something like this happens."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10295/1097163-455.stm?cmpid=MOSTEMAILEDBOX#ixzz1365MBjFD

Scorp
10-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Nice read. Thanks. Harrison will be 2010 MVP.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-22-2010, 11:37 AM
When one of the most trusted names in all of sports ownership tells you that something is wrong, perhaps you should listen. When the players tell you it's wrong, when coaches tell you it's wrong, perhaps you should listen Goodell. But, But, oh that's right, you know best, since you've played the game for so many years and all :evilshake:

Good on ya Rooney, that's how we stick together on this.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-22-2010, 11:46 AM
OK--now I feel better about Harrison playing to his standard and not too tentatively. If the Rooney's are backing him, he will be ok--like the Hines Ward rule when Mr. Rooney told Hines to be Hines and not worry about it. LOVE IT!!! :tt02:

jnes1216
10-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Thank you for saying something Mr. Rooney. I figured Tomlin wouldn't budge from his vanilla comments. So it was nice to see the front office take a stance. I'm still glad Harrison expressed himself, as outlandish as it was, so the NFL realizes there will be some push back. Harrison knocked two guys out of one game with concussions. He was bound to be fined. If you think he only got fined because of what he said afterward then give me back my OG Kush.:smoking: Does everyone have to be politically correct ALL the time? Did it help matters-no, but don't just stand there and shrug your shoulders. Thank you Mr. Rooney and Mr. Harrison for rocking the boat a little bit.
If that puts the spotlight on #92 more, hopefully they will see all the holding. I watched the Colts game the other week and couldn't believe how many holding calls the offense got when playing against Freeney and Mathis.

lloydfan4life
10-22-2010, 11:54 AM
That's great for Art to come out and back him like that... but I say go one step further and foot the bill for his fine when his appeal is denied.

StlersGuy
10-22-2010, 12:13 PM
That's great for Art to come out and back him like that... but I say go one step further and foot the bill for his fine when his appeal is denied.

:tt02::respect:

BLACKnGOLD58
10-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Great Article!!! It's nice to see Rooney back him up :clap:

LarryNJ
10-22-2010, 02:09 PM
There's a simple solution Art. Get your fellow owners together and tell the league what to do. Let's not forget that the commish and his office work for you.

igor0190
10-22-2010, 02:25 PM
:tt02:
Beautifully said Mr. Rooney!

"If you look at the plays last weekend, there was only one play ... that was flagrant; and yet when the fine comes out, our guy gets the biggest fine."

"I don't think that you can say every time there's one of those hits and a guy gets knocked out that a guy should be suspended for it. I just don't think we can be that black and white."

"If we're now going to see flags all over the place every time somebody hits somebody, I'm concerned about where that's going in terms of the quality of the game."

SteelerEyeZ
10-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Way to go!!! Thats huge I have a lot of respect for the Rooneys and this shows why!

GO STEELERS KEEP PLAYING FOOTBALL THE STEELER WAY

HUNT4SEVEN
10-22-2010, 03:09 PM

:ditto:I was just saying the same thing:yesnod: I just hope that Rooney and some other owners get together and stop this **** poor excuse of a Commish from destroying the league more than he has already...

Steelerlyn
10-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Thank you for speaking up and against, kind sir, it is surely more than Tomlin did but then again maybe it is not his place to say anything.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-22-2010, 04:27 PM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/browns-cribbs-defends-harrison-688010.html

Cribbs support Harrison also...check this out

steelers4life66
10-22-2010, 07:41 PM
:clap: Thank you mr Ronney.. Maybe now that owners are getting involved the evil lord goodell will take his head out of his a$$ so he can see more clearly. Maybe,just maybe this and I :pray: might be a slight glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel and be the end of the evil lord goodell's career in the NFL. If nothing else, the evil lord goodell will realize he can't just dish out what ever absurd punishment this F'ing moron sees fit in his dimly lit mind. :greengrin:

lloydfan4life
10-22-2010, 08:13 PM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/browns-cribbs-defends-harrison-688010.html

Cribbs support Harrison also...check this out

Okay... I hate everything about the Browns.... but I have just gained a world of respect for Josh Cribbs. Thanks for posting Sixburgh! Thanks for telling it like it is, Joshua! :clap:

nuclearchihuahuas
10-23-2010, 05:07 PM
I think Rooney should pay the fine to the NFL but not charge James Harrison or at least find a reason to return the money to him. Those of us who sent money to the NFL for the James Harrison defense fund, really should have sent it to the Steelers to reimburse James or Mr. Rooney. Next time, I say we send it to "James Harrison Defense Fund" in c/o the Rooney family, etc. :lol:

igor0190
10-23-2010, 09:10 PM
I think Rooney should pay the fine to the NFL but not charge James Harrison or at least find a reason to return the money to him. Those of us who sent money to the NFL for the James Harrison defense fund, really should have sent it to the Steelers to reimburse James or Mr. Rooney. Next time, I say we send it to "James Harrison Defense Fund" in c/o the Rooney family, etc. :lol:

I think the $1 sent to the NFL was more of a statement then anything to do with the money... The amount of letters the NFL is going to have to open lets them know how many people are outraged and don't agree with their idiotic fine....

In any case, James Harrison makes a lot of money and I doubt any of it would ever see his bank account. All would get put towards charity.

chisteeler
10-23-2010, 10:48 PM
Where have you gone Pete Rozelle? A Nation turns it's lonely eyes to you...Coo..Coo..Ca Choo........

nuclearchihuahuas
10-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Where have you gone Pete Rozelle? A Nation turns it's lonely eyes to you...Coo..Coo..Ca Choo........

:lol:

Fanforlife
10-24-2010, 11:04 AM
This is why I love them so much. They back up their players when,right is right and wrong is wrong. Me,my husband were at the game last sunday and we know it was a legal hit! I'm soooo glad that Harrison was just just blowing stream and not going to retired we,need him that's for sure! I remember back in the 70's ,80's the hitting was alot worse! And now in this day and age mr.commissioner is going to take this pussy attitude :bsflag:!!!!!!

:herewego: :steelers1: