PDA

View Full Version : Harrisson back at practice; won't change style..UPDATE** Issues statement to media***

Steel Trap86
10-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison returned to the team practice facility Thursday morning after being excused from Wednesday's practice while he contemplated retiring, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported.

Harrison was upset after being fined $75,000 for the NFL on Tuesday for a hit that injured Cleveland Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi on Sunday.

Harrison and his agent said the three-time Pro Bowl player was considering retirement after the fine, his second of the season. His hits on Browns receivers Josh Cribbs and Massaquoi left both with concussions.

"We all have the same concerns of what's legal and what's not legal," linebacker James Farrior said. "I don't think it's defined right now. It's a question mark for us, and we don't want to get in trouble every time we hit somebody, so it's definitely a concern."

Safety Ryan Clark knows adjustments will be required to follow NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's decree that hits that endanger an opposing player's safety won't be tolerated. But Clark is convinced the aggressive, hit-before-you-get-hit mentality of the Steelers' defense won't change.

"We still want to play football in a physical manner. We still want to stop people from scoring touchdowns," Clark said. "We're going to try to do that. You have to change if your intention was to be dirty. If your intention was to go out here and hit people in the helmet, injure people and give people concussions, you have to change. But that's never been our intention."

It's not just the Steelers' defensive players who are upset with the midseason enforcement change.

"We have a reputation of being a tough football team and we have a lot of Lombardis up there, and that doesn't make a lot of people happy," Roethlisberger said. "But you know what? It makes us happy, so we'll just try to go out and play the game of football the way we know how to play it."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b7f516/article/steelers-lb-harrison-back-to-practice-after-weighing-retirement?module=HP_headlines

See they fed him some gun powder and barbed wire and washed it down with JD and broken glass, the monster is good to go. I expect at least 2 sacks and another huge hit on Sunday, just aim for the chest Harrisson..you can do it

LarryNJ
10-21-2010, 11:28 AM
See they fed him some gun powder and barbed wire and washed it down with JD and broken glass, the monster is good to go. I expect at least 2 sacks and another huge hit on Sunday, just aim for the chest Harrisson..you can do it

:lol:

Good, I'm tired of reading about it.

steelersgal86
10-21-2010, 11:39 AM
:woot:

LatrobePA
10-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Why is it always a Steelers playing is needed to change the rules?

F Goodell, keep playing STEELERS defense!!

igor0190
10-21-2010, 12:09 PM

HAHA :lol:

:plus1:

SteelDad
10-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Unleash Silverback!!!:cope:

LatrobePA
10-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Jake and Henne will have a long day..Sunny 84 with a chance of 92 coming down on your ***!!!

harpo
10-21-2010, 01:04 PM
He just had to let off some steam, or....he went and hooked up with some chick and let off some steam that way. :greengrin::yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-21-2010, 02:12 PM
See they fed him some gun powder and barbed wire and washed it down with JD and broken glass, the monster is good to go.

That's the best quote ever!! :towelwave:

I think most of us expected James back today as well, figuring he will pretty much stay away from the media and just concentrate on getting ready for football this weekend. If he needed a day to chill and think things through, there's nothing wrong with that.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-21-2010, 02:54 PM
I never thought Harrison was going to retire in the first place and I just knew he was pissed....I don't blame him at all but don't let the NFL win and the best way for James, Ben to stick to the NFL along with all the haters out there is to just win the damn Super Bowl.......

I feel bad for the Dolphins RB's and WR's on Sunday its going to be a blood bath......Harrison and the entire defense is going to look to put the smack down big time........

SteelCityKid5
10-21-2010, 03:54 PM
The Mel Blount rule, the Hines Ward rule, and now the James Harrison rule. :cope:

Steelerlyn
10-21-2010, 05:58 PM
I hope the dang fine thing is over they got enough money out of him

BlitzburghRockCity
10-21-2010, 06:26 PM
ames Harrison will not retire
Thursday, October 21, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201009/harrison0926_330.jpg
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

James Harrison declined to talk today but the Steelers linebacker did say he does not want to retire after he returned to work and practice.
Harrison, after getting fined $75,000 by the league for what it called an illegal hit in Sunday's game, threatened to retire on Wednesday. After talking to coach Mike Tomlin Wednesday morning, Harrison was permitted to leave for the day.
"After having some time to think about the situation, talk to my family, friends and the Steelers organization, I have come to the decision that I cannot and will not let the league office stop me from playing the game I love.

Here is his statement:

"I am all for player safety and I agree that some of the rule changes that have been made are good for the game. As far as my situation, I believe the hit against [Mohamed] Massaquoi for which I was fined was legal and well within the scope of the rules. I feel the reason for the fine was the statement after the game wherein I said that I try to hurt people, not injure them. In the same sentence I attempted to clarify my meaning, but I understand that my comments leave a lot open to interpretation. The statement was not well-thought out and I did not adequately convey my meaning.
"I apologize for making that statement and I want it to be known that I have never and would never intentionally try to injure any player. I believe that my statements, along with the hits that happened in other games this past Sunday and the subsequent media storm, are the reasons I was fined on what o know was a clean hit.
"I will not retire from the NFL. I will continue to play the game with the same passion, intensity and focus with which I have always played and let the chips fall where they may. I have never given up, quit or walked away from anything in my life and I am not about to start now. I will not let down my family, friends or the Steelers Nation."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10294/1097068-100.stm#ixzz131z9OxGI

HUNT4SEVEN
10-21-2010, 06:40 PM
"I will not retire from the NFL. I will continue to play the game with the same passion, intensity and focus with which I have always played and let the chips fall where they may. I have never given up, quit or walked away from anything in my life and I am not about to start now. I will not let down my family, friends or the Steelers Nation

U gotta love the passion that burns in him...especially him saying he will NOT let Steeler Nation down U are the man Harrison...

Farrior Fan
10-21-2010, 06:44 PM
last line of last post "I will not let down my family, friends or the Steelers Nation."

And Steeler Nation will not let you down. I fully expect 92 to smash someone next week and for their to be yellow flags raining down. I also expect a chorus of boos from Steeler Nation as we all have to fight this ridiculous knee jerk reaction from the league office. BTW maybe the fans should start some sort of noise every time 92 is held. Maybe a whistle or cat call so the refs attention will be on 92 all game since it seems they only look at him when he is crushing offensive players, but they always seem to look away when he is being held...play, after play, after play, after play, after play.

LatrobePA
10-21-2010, 07:27 PM
I said all along if he kept his mouth shut he'd been fine.

Now he admits the same...

Scorp
10-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Still harrison, go for the freakin legs when they try jump/hurdle you. Make them do some sick *** cartwheels in midair and watch them fall horrifically awkward. The new style of hard nosed football baby. Menacing.

75Steeler
10-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Damn! I can't wait till Sunday at 1! Can't wait to see who he hits first! :cope:

Steel Trap86
10-21-2010, 08:59 PM
This is the video sent to players and coaches from Ray Anderson (vice pres of operations) on what hits they're not allowing anymore. Along with it is a letter from the Big Bitch himself, Roger Goodell warning players that "they are on notice".

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b811df/article/nfls-video-message-to-players-on-hits-you-are-on-notice?module=HP_headlines

nuclearchihuahuas
10-21-2010, 11:40 PM
So basically they are saying no head blows of any kind are allowed.

igor0190
10-21-2010, 11:57 PM
This is the video sent to players and coaches from Ray Anderson (vice pres of operations) on what hits they're not allowing anymore. Along with it is a letter from the Big Bitch himself, Roger Goodell warning players that "they are on notice".

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b811df/article/nfls-video-message-to-players-on-hits-you-are-on-notice?module=HP_headlines

Yeah, you notice how they had to use a punter getting laid out that wasn't looking!!!! Are you F'N kidding me? How is this relevant? A punter.. who didnt see it coming. For real? He didn't see it coming otherwise he would have dropped his shoulder and helmet to protect himself. Man, those suits in the NFL front office need to be stopped. This is a sick joke.
:cursin::cursin::cursin:

steelersgal86
10-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Damn! I can't wait till Sunday at 1! Can't wait to see who he hits first! :cope:

:woot: me too....crush Miami!!!!

coldrolled
10-22-2010, 08:49 AM
I said all along if he kept his mouth shut he'd been fine.

Now he admits the same...

--- Added 10/22/2010 at 06:49 AM ---

So basically they are saying no head blows of any kind are allowed.

so now the offensive WR only has to lower his head into any tackle to make helmet contact and he gets an extra 15yards and the other player gets fined.. lets see how fast the WR's take advantage of this rule.

igor0190
10-22-2010, 10:22 AM
--- Added 10/22/2010 at 06:49 AM ---
so now the offensive WR only has to lower his head into any tackle to make helmet contact and he gets an extra 15yards and the other player gets fined.. lets see how fast the WR's take advantage of this rule.

EXACTLY...
There needs to be some rule along the lines of:
"If an offensive player with the ball instinctfully lowers his helmet thus leaving the defensive player with nothing else to hit but the helmet, the defensive player will not be fined or suspended."

This would cover at least half of these helmet to helmet contact hits.

Steel Trap86
10-22-2010, 10:32 AM
lol Even the Rooneys are backing him up!

Pittsburgh Steelers president Art Rooney declared his support for linebacker James Harrison and called the Pro Bowler's tactics on defense 'legal,' according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Friday.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

"We've told James that if he decides to appeal, he has our support," Rooney told the newspaper.

Harrison was one of three players fined a total of $175,000 by the NFL on Tuesday for flagrant hits last weekend -- he was docked $75,000 for a helmet-hit on Cleveland Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi -- and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Wednesday followed up the fines by releasing a memo emphasizing significant penalties will be imposed upon players who strike an opponent in the head or neck in violation of existing rules.

"I think the play was a legal hit," Mr. Rooney said. "It's on the borderline, though ... I understand the part about not launching yourself. I think that's the part that was on the borderline. I mean, did he lunge at the guy to make the tackle or did he launch himself?"

Harrison resumed practicing with the Steelers on Thursday, one day after he threatened to retire because of the NFL's stricter punishment of players for dangerous hits.

"I have come to the decision that I cannot and will not let the league office stop me from playing the game that I love," Harrison said in a statement issued Thursday by the team. "I will continue to play the game with the same passion, intensity and focus with which I have always played and let the chips fall where they may. I have never given up, quit or walked away from anything in my life, and I am not about to start now."

Rooney suggested that the league's approach to fines required monitoring.

"The thing I'm concerned about going forward is the level of discipline and how far we're going with that," Rooney said. "And I hope that the league office is going to draw a distinction between a flagrant hit, an egregious hit -- whatever these words are that are getting thrown around -- versus something that is a violation but is not flagrant."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b86255/article/steelers-rooney-voices-support-for-lb-harrison?module=HP_headlines

coldrolled
10-22-2010, 11:13 AM
EXACTLY...
There needs to be some rule along the lines of:
"If an offensive player with the ball instinctfully lowers his helmet thus leaving the defensive player with nothing else to hit but the helmet, the defensive player will not be fined or suspended."

This would cover at least half of these helmet to helmet contact hits.

like harrison's hit on mohammad.... thats the problem. anderson and goodell need to confirm that harrisons hit was legal.. but they cant because they cant be wrong.

:popcorn:

igor0190
10-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Another good article... pretty long though
http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/10/21/pain-and-injury/?xid=si_nfl