PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Considers Quitting?..10/20 Update - Excused from practice today per Tomlin

Silverback
10-20-2010, 01:55 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b77d1c/article/steelers-lb-harrison-mulling-retirement-after-75k-fine-for-hit?module=HP_headlines

I'm pretty sure James is just really pissed right now and letting the nfl know it but this definitely gave me heart problems when I read the headline on nfl.com.

DanRooney
10-20-2010, 02:59 AM
It would be funny if the whole team sat out of a game because of this if Harrison was really considering retirement. I'd almost be willing to take a forfeit loss to send a message that Adolf Goodell has gone too far and needs to be replaced. Can you imagine how much **** he'd be in if that were to happen with the fans?

nick5574
10-20-2010, 04:06 AM
The NFL is really taking this too far. Player safety is important but they are taking everything that makes football fun to watch out of the game. QB's are protected way too much and now it looks like the same protection is going to be extended to all offensive positions. Its not even going to be interesting to watch if it keeps going like this :cursin:

steelersbabex25
10-20-2010, 07:45 AM
:thud:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-20-2010, 09:12 AM
He's pissed right now and blowing off steam. If you just got fined 75K for doing your job, you'd be pissed too. Harrison will come out strong against Miami and he'll put this behind him. I'm sure he's talked with Tomlin & Lebeau as well and we know they are in his corner.

SteelDad
10-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Fired up Harrison + young Miami QB + reciever over the middle = many case of alligator arms and heads on swivels.

LatrobePA
10-20-2010, 10:02 AM
He has the right to be pissed, I don't blame him! He's got a family to support and this will leave a dent.

Like the post above says, he was doing his job!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-20-2010, 10:13 AM
One thing that I briefly thought about after hearing about this last night was, what if Harrison is so distraught over this whole thing that he would back off and not play with the intensity that we're used too. Players all over the NFL have scaled back their hits and their play style because they are afraid of getting fined. It's not so bad for guys like James who get millions of dollars but for the guys who don't make that much, 75K could put a real hurting on them. Even so I'm quite sure James is not happy about blowing 75,000 dollars just for doing his job.

Knowing Harrison's attitude and how he loves playing football, I wouldn't think he would go that route of turning off the intensity switch on the field but it does make you think about all the other guys who aren't making the money he does but still play the game the same way. It affects the whole league and has been for years now, but after the NFL going crazy with warning about suspensions, ejections, yesterday who knows how it turn out.

LatrobePA
10-20-2010, 10:18 AM
He's going to want to go out and make "legal" hits hurt!! I feel bad for Henne and co Sunday....

LarryNJ
10-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Yes James is pissed, understandably so we all would be if we were in his spot. But I believe he needs to stay off the talk shows, and not make comment at all about it. Nothing good will come out of his comments. Let the Steelers and his agent speak. It may be BS but many things in business are and there are better ways to handle them.

LatrobePA
10-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Yes James is pissed, understandably so we all would be if we were in his spot. But I believe he needs to stay off the talk shows, and not make comment at all about it. Nothing good will come out of his comments. Let the Steelers and his agent speak. It may be BS but many things in business are and there are ways to handle them.

I agree 100%, he's not doing himself any favors speaking out...:banging:

jpele
10-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Some quotes from James Harrison:

Harrison said NFL players would prefer to be hit high than low and risk a knee injury.

"Ask any player in the NFL, they'd say that's dirty," Harrison said of a knee shot. "But the NFL says that's a legal play, but you can end his year if not his career. But if you hit him up high and give him a concussion or whatever, they fine you for it. Now you have to start hitting guys low, and what then?

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10292/1096447-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz12uJKEErC

"You can't go out and play like it's flag football," Harrison said. "If that's what they want to do, let's put flags on everyone. "It's a physical contact sport; some things are going to happen. You have to evaluate things and see it for what it is and not go on the reaction of people who can't see what they're really looking at."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10292/1096447-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz12uJiS3SG

Face it Roger Goodell has taken the game we all love and turned into his personnel money making machine.

When a QB can demand and get a flag (Tom Brady) and another be suspended for accusations ( Ben Roethlisberger) I have to ask "is the fix in"?

I don't want a certain team to win,before it was a problem now I just suspend a top defensive player because he hit too hard. You will notice T J Ward launched himself (an Illegal hit ) at mendenhall, but not a word was said.

LatrobePA
10-20-2010, 11:10 AM
There is no rule that says you can't torpedo a RB...Wards hit was legal, same was the hit on Cribbs, Harrison is fined for the hit on #11...

Steel Trap86
10-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Ya they didn't fine him for the Cribbs hit because he was a runner who could defend himself, Massaquoi they called a defenseless receiver.

RIVERS OF STEEL
10-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Hey ref he pushed me.

LatrobePA
10-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Tomlin and Harrison meet:

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Steel Trap86
10-20-2010, 01:00 PM
In the wake of being fined $75,000 by the NFL for a hit on Mohamed Massaquoi, James Harrison met with Coach Mike Tomlin on Wednesday morning. Following that meeting, Tomlin excused Harrison from the rest of the day's work activities, including meetings and practice.

Harrisson has had it

steelersgal86
10-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Harrisson has had it

keep reading
Tomlin is likely allowing Harrison - who sometimes does not practice on Wednesdays anyway - a little cooling off period.

coldrolled
10-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Steelers Excuse James Harrison From Practice
Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison is mulling retirement following his $75,000 fine from the National Football League.

"I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach tomorrow and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison said on Tony Bruno's FOX Sports Radio show on Tuesday night. "If not, I may have to give up playing football."

After meeting with head coach Mike Tomlin this morning, the Steelers have excused Harrison from today's meetings and practices, the team announced on Wednesday.

--- Added 10/20/2010 at 11:21 AM ---

Harrison needs to command the english language better... he digs his own holes..

what does this line mean?? "see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective"

he is saying he can only play good by playing without following the nfl rules???
Seriuosly... keep the media away from him.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-20-2010, 01:31 PM
:nahnah::nahnah:How about a James Harrison defense fund as a show of support? If every member of Steelernation sent $1, I bet we could pay his fines for a few games any way. LOL :nahnah:

jnes1216
10-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Harrison needs to command the english language better... he digs his own holes..

what does this line mean?? "see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective"

he is saying he can only play good by playing without following the nfl rules???
Seriuosly... keep the media away from him.

First he can't hit anyone and now you want to shut him up? He's pissed and venting, he's a Steeler LBer and he's being fined for tackling. You want him to shut up and take it like some pussy cowgirl or patriot LBer? I'm glad he's speaking his mind, what else can they do to him. The players, most of all, need to speak out to the media about this imo.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-20-2010, 01:35 PM
First he can't hit anyone and now you want to shut him up? He's pissed and venting, he's a Steeler LBer and he's being fined for tackling. You want him to shut up and take it like some pussy cowgirl or patriot LBer? I'm glad he's speaking his mind, what else can they do to him. The players, most of all, need to speak out to the media about this imo.

:clap:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Just got a text that after meeting with Tomlin this morning, James was excused from team activities today. There's no additional information than that. We can assume that most likely James just needs time to chill and think things through. He's pissed off right now, I'm sure he feels betrayed by the league because he was fined for doing his job and singled out yet again. His agent is appealing the fine, and knowing that James is not a spend thrift and very tight with his money, Im sure that compounds the issue with potentially losing all that money.

Let him blow off some steam, he's human and needs time to figure out the best to handle this going forward. Jerk offs like Florio with PFT will sit there and make fun of him for getting mad and meeting with Tomlin, but don't tell me for 1 second that if he got fined for doing his job he wouldn't be throwing a fit either.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Just got a text that after meeting with Tomlin this morning, James was excused from team activities today. There's no additional information than that. We can assume that most likely James just needs time to chill and think things through. He's pissed off right now, I'm sure he feels betrayed by the league because he was fined for doing his job and singled out yet again. His agent is appealing the fine, and knowing that James is not a spend thrift and very tight with his money, Im sure that compounds the issue with potentially losing all that money.

I read a report that said $75000 is more than he gets per game right now...I believe he makes just above $44,000/game

lloydfan4life
10-20-2010, 01:39 PM

:clap: x2

nuclearchihuahuas
10-20-2010, 01:41 PM
I don't understand because most of the analysts I've seen on tv said they were both legal hits. If the "experts" do not understand the rules, how can the players be expected too?

igor0190
10-20-2010, 01:41 PM
If we are all pissed off about this fine, then just IMAGINE how James Harrison feels about it....

I don't know if it's possible, but I would love one of these players to "lawyer up" and SUE the hell outta the NFL for these fines. The Dunta Robinson hit especially was unjust. That was a textbook football hit... led with his shoulder and everything.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-20-2010, 01:45 PM
The ramifications of the NFL's decisions and future punishments are going to affect the NFL as we know it in a big way. As it is right now, players have to force themselves to pull up when they have a legit open shot on QB because they are afraid of getting fined, and now they have to do the same in the open field? Sorry NFL, player instincts don't work like that.

LarryNJ
10-20-2010, 01:47 PM

I don't agree with this at all. What did his comments do to help the situation? Nothing, they simply get turned around to mean what the writer wants them to mean. Verbal emotional responses do nothing to help. He would be best served to let Tomlin and others hand it. It has nothing to do with being a man or a pussy, it has everything to do with being smart.

Lunchbucket
10-20-2010, 01:55 PM
James plays with reckless abandon,in an emotional game,can't blame him for being pissed and saying more than was good for him.

SteelCityKid5
10-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Why wasnt this on the main page or was it?

coldrolled
10-20-2010, 02:04 PM

he should run his story by tomlin first... then talk to the media.. hes not helping himself... did you read what he said??

imo, he should have rooney and tomlin making the noise on tv and backing him up. they should be defending him every step..... they are the pussies... :imho:

harpo
10-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Looks like Harrison is very serious about a possible retirement:

Harrison's agent says he is very serious about possibly retiring (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/20/agent-says-james-harrison-is-very-serious-about-retiring/)

It's from profootballtalk, so take it for what it's worth.

Speeed
10-20-2010, 02:11 PM
I don't agree with this at all. What did his comments do to help the situation? Nothing, they simply get turned around to mean what the writer wants them to mean. Verbal emotional responses do nothing to help. He would be best served to let Tomlin and others hand it. It has nothing to do with being a man or a pussy, it has everything to do with being smart.

Then the problem is with the media, not Harrison. So he should not make any statements because the writer will slant them? Come on ...... that is a cop out! That is totally giving up.

I recall a moral story regarding Jews in WWII. Something about they took the butcher, no one said anything. They took the teacher, no one said anything . . . they came and took me, and nobody said anything. "They" being the Germans. I know World War II Germany seems out of context, but if he does not stand up and make himself heard, who will?

But apparently some don't want him to because the press will twist his words? The problem is with the press, and the league, not Harrison!

Lunchbucket
10-20-2010, 02:37 PM
:yellowthumb:
Then the problem is with the media, not Harrison. So he should not make any statements because the writer will slant them? Come on ...... that is a cop out! That is totally giving up.

I recall a moral story regarding Jews in WWII. Something about they took the butcher, no one said anything. They took the teacher, no one said anything . . . they came and took me, and nobody said anything. "They" being the Germans. I know World War II Germany seems out of context, but if he does not stand up and make himself heard, who will?

But apparently some don't want him to because the press will twist his words? The problem is with the press, and the league, not Harrison!

Well said.

LatrobePA
10-20-2010, 02:47 PM
I gotta agree here, first Ben quitting now James:

<QUOTE>
Basically, someone needs to tell Harrison to grow up, to quit crying, to count his blessings, and to get back to work before this protest of his pushes him beyond the point of no return. That's Parise's job. Based on the fact that he's publicly calling the hit on Massaquoi legal, Parise isn't doing his job very well.

SteelDad
10-20-2010, 02:54 PM
I gotta agree here, first Ben quitting now James:

<QUOTE>
Basically, someone needs to tell Harrison to grow up, to quit crying, to count his blessings, and to get back to work before this protest of his pushes him beyond the point of no return. That's Parise's job. Based on the fact that he's publicly calling the hit on Massaquoi legal, Parise isn't doing his job very well.

I know what you're saying Latrobe, but it's clear the NFL has had something against him since day one whether it's holding or now the hitting. I don't mind him ranting this week, but if keeps up he does need to shut up.

LatrobePA
10-20-2010, 03:03 PM
I know what you're saying Latrobe, but it's clear the NFL has had something against him since day one whether it's holding or now the hitting. I don't mind him ranting this week, but if keeps up he does need to shut up.

Oh I agree with you, but this is only digging a bigger hole for him IMO.

But what he's saying is crazy talk right now, the Steelers own him via contract, this would be a very costly move on his part.

I still think this is getting blown way out, he's had a few fines over the years, what he has been doing was working w/ out fines etc etc.

coldrolled
10-20-2010, 03:09 PM
maybe he means this... if i have to pay 75,000 a game for a good hard hit and possibly suspended on top of it later. i should just pack it up now and retire..

he makes the same salary then.. a big 0... and he himself doesnt have to get hit or hurt again either???

BlitzburghRockCity
10-20-2010, 03:13 PM
His agent has stated that he is very serious about considering leaving the NFL. Right now though I don't think he is thinking clearly and needs some time to chill and sort out his feelings. If he were to retire, the Steelers would most certainly require that his signing bonus be paid back for the years it was prorated at least.

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here; the coming days will hopefully see him back at the practice facility and ready to go this coming weekend. I'm quite sure he and Tomlin had a nice long talk today and the Coach definitely knows more than we do. What's equally concerning though is, can he come back and play with intensity but having those thoughts of fines and suspensions in the back of his mind? Will he be able to put those aside and still play or will this permanently affect him? I would hope not but we'll have to see how he responds.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Some quotes from James Harrison:

Face it Roger Goodell has taken the game we all love and turned into his personnel money making machine.

When a QB can demand and get a flag (Tom Brady) and another be suspended for accusations ( Ben Roethlisberger) I have to ask "is the fix in"?

I don't want a certain team to win,before it was a problem now I just suspend a top defensive player because he hit too hard. You will notice T J Ward launched himself (an Illegal hit ) at mendenhall, but not a word was said.

Well said and i agree with u:yellowthumb:...That wack @$$ Commish is such a Hypocrite, I notice also that hit TJ Ward put on Mendy and i'm shocked that it is not being review or even discuss,because TJ Ward has lead with his helmet before he is a repeat offender also and the league won't even review his hit such Bull Sh*!:cursin:

steelersbabex25
10-20-2010, 03:34 PM
I don't know if James Harrison is this smart..but he could be threatening retirement as a warning to the NFL. If he, one of the great linebackers of the decade, decides to retire because of unjustified fines, that's going to upset A LOT of people. We are Steeler Nation, don't underestimate us.

LatrobePA
10-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Look on the brightside gang, at least the players can carry a loaded handgun onto a plane w/ out suspension...

coldrolled
10-20-2010, 03:43 PM
I notice also that hit TJ Ward put on Mendy and i'm shocked that it is not being review or even discuss,because TJ Ward has lead with his helmet before he is a repeat offender also and the league won't even review his hit such Bull Sh*!:cursin:

maybe rooney and tomlin should send in the TJWard film... they won't because they are :bunny: thats why arians is still here too. :reddevil:

does anyone have the video clip of the Ward/Mendy hit?

steelersgal86
10-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Josh Cribbs responds to James Harrison's hit

Harrison says he will consider retiring

http://media2.newsnet5.com//photo/2010/10/19/harrison_20101019124012_320_240.JPG

CLEVELAND - Josh Cribbs responded Wednesday to the vicious hit he suffered Sunday from Steelers linebacker James Harrison.
The Browns wide receiver tweeted several times about the hit (http://www.twitter.com/joshcribbs16) , which is part of a league-wide discussion on the issue.
“I have no bad will towards LB James Harrison. That's what he's suppose to do knock people out, it's what makes him one of the best,” Cribbs tweeted (http://www.twitter.com/joshcribbs16) .
The NFL ruled that Harrison’s hit on Cribbs was legal because Cribbs was a ball carrier. However, Harrison was fined $75,000 (http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/sports/football/browns/nfl-fines-but-doesn%27t-suspend-3-players-for-hits) on Tuesday for his hit on Mohamed Massaquoi.
After Sunday’s game, Harrison said that he plays to “hurt” people, but not “injure” anyone. Cribbs tweets showed that he agreed with Harrison’s statement.”
“I don't believe he intentionally wants to injure anyone, but it is a part of the game,” Cribbs tweeted.
Harrison went on a radio show Wednesday and said that he might consider retiring after getting fined.
"I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison told FOX Sports Radio (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/20/james-harrison-contemplates-retirement/) . "If not, I may have to give up playing football."
Harrison and Cribbs were teammates at Kent State, and Cribbs insisted he has no hard feelings about the hit.
“He has been hitting people like that as my teammate at Kent State & now as my rival he still hits people like that... He is still my boy.”

LarryNJ
10-20-2010, 03:49 PM

Of course the problem is with the press. Well actually its with the league. But that doesn't mean he should say anything. If he shuts his mouth it's not giving up, it's being smart. He pays people who are trained to speak to talk for him. To answer your question who will, his agent. A better analogy would be when you get arrested you don't say a word you let a professional attorney handle it.

What good for James Harrison and the Steelers did his comments do? Besides make some fans feel better.

They aren't out to get James Harrison. Look at Dunta Robinson's hit on DeSean Jackson that was much cleaner of hit.

Scorp
10-20-2010, 04:05 PM
I heard this about 2 hrs ago. I'm outraged. I hope he does not quit. We really need him.

jpele
10-20-2010, 04:12 PM
There is no rule that says you can't torpedo a RB...Wards hit was legal, same was the hit on Cribbs, Harrison is fined for the hit on #11...

From the rule book:

(f) If a player uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline”
parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily. Although
such violent or unnecessary use of the helmet and facemask is impermissible against any
opponent, game officials will give special attention in administering this rule to protecting
those players who are in virtually defenseless postures, including but not limited to:

TJ Ward led with the crown of his helmet. Harrison wasn't fined on the Cribbs hit because the helmet was incidental contact.

igor0190
10-20-2010, 04:38 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_705241.html

Harrison has said on several radio stations that he is contemplating leaving the game because of the restrictions placed on him by NFL rules.

When asked this morning by SIRIUS XM's Mad Dog Radio if he plans to play Sunday against the Dolphins, Harrison said, "I rally don't know."

Of the hit on Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi that resulted in a fine, Harrison said, "We didn't actually hit helmets. It was the shoulder pad, and he lowered his target by a good three feet.

Harrison is bang on with this. Massoquoi DID lower his target considerably. He did so in an effort to protect himself. ALL offensive players lower their shoulders and helmets to absorb blows... It is football

Scorp
10-20-2010, 04:46 PM
:goodpost:

jnes1216
10-20-2010, 04:59 PM
LB Karlos Dansby said the NFL is going to have defensive players count to five Mississippi before rushing the passer!!

Good stuff.

Steel Trap86
10-20-2010, 05:02 PM
From the rule book:

TJ Ward led with the crown of his helmet. Harrison wasn't fined on the Cribbs hit because the helmet was incidental contact.

He wasn't fined for that hit because Cribbs is a runner and the helmet to helmet rule only applies to QB's and Receivers, not Running backs. That's why Clarks huge hit on McGahee was within the rules.

TJ Ward hit Shipley and he's a receiver, that's why he got fined for it because they deemed him defenseless, just like Harrissons hit on Massaquoi. And it wasn't "incidental contact" on Cribbs either. Harrisson layed him out with his helmet plain and simple. He didn't even try to wrap him up, that hit screamed bad intentions. I just wish he didn't get hit with a fine for it so we could see a couple KO's every week since Harrisson is Mike Tyson of the NFL now lol

Scorp
10-20-2010, 05:03 PM
:goodpost:

steelers4life66
10-20-2010, 05:40 PM
LB Karlos Dansby said the NFL is going to have defensive players count to five Mississippi before rushing the passer!!

Good stuff.

:hehheh:

--- Added 10/20/2010 at 03:40 PM ---

He wasn't fined for that hit because Cribbs is a runner and the helmet to helmet rule only applies to QB's and Receivers, not Running backs. That's why Clarks huge hit on McGahee was within the rules.

Wasn't McGahee a reviver in that play?? My pretty sure he went out for a pass.

Steel Trap86
10-20-2010, 05:54 PM
:hehheh:

--- Added 10/20/2010 at 03:40 PM ---

Wasn't McGahee a reviver in that play?? My pretty sure he went out for a pass.

he was, you're right. but he wasn't defenseless, he braced himself right before he took that hit

Black@Gold Forever32
10-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Time for me to be the ******* which I like doing.....But I'm the first to admit the NFL issuing these fines and maybe suspending a player in the future for these hits is horse ****....But at the same time James Harrison needs to suck it up and play the game......He is a multi-millionaire and I don't feel sorry for him....lol $75,000 is more then I make in year....lol

If he actually retires which I don't think he will but if he does then he is selfish for walking out on his fellow teammates in mid-season.....Retire after the freaking year but not now......I'm sorry James Harrison needs to man up and just play football even if by the NFL's pussy rules........

Scorp
10-20-2010, 06:22 PM
I agree with every word you just said Black@Gold Forever32. Harrison should feed off that fine and threat of being suspended. Fu-ck the upper body start going for the legs and turn bitches upside down and make them do sick--*** cartwheels in mid air. There will never be a fine for that. Take it out on the dolphins and the opponent after them and so on and so forth. Stay and kick some ***.

Prosdo
10-20-2010, 06:32 PM
The hit has no place in the NFL according to them. But correct me if I am wrong they are gonna profit from it. Is this not the hit they fined him for?

http://www.replayphotos.com/nflphotostore/2010-11-season-print/james-harrison--mohamed-massaquoi_320884.cfm

steelersbabex25
10-20-2010, 06:36 PM
"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." -Jack Lambert

He said it best. I'm tired of people whining about getting knocked up in a football game. HELLO BROWNS FANS. Nobody forced Massaquoi OR Cribbs to play football. They knew what they were signing up for, they new they would probably get hurt, and they need to suck it up.

JensK
10-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Time for me to be the ******* which I like doing.....But I'm the first to admit the NFL issuing these fines and maybe suspending a player in the future for these hits is horse ****....But at the same time James Harrison needs to suck it up and play the game......He is a multi-millionaire and I don't feel sorry for him....lol $75,000 is more then I make in year....lol

If he actually retires which I don't think he will but if he does then he is selfish for walking out on his fellow teammates in mid-season.....Retire after the freaking year but not now......I'm sorry James Harrison needs to man up and just play football even if by the NFL's pussy rules........

While i really do agree, I don't think it is the money that's the problem, but more the fact that he is not allowed to play the style of football that he (and all other defensive players) have been taught...

--- Added 10/20/2010 at 05:35 PM ---

Also, from profootballtalk:

For roughly 12 hours, from halftime of ESPN's Monday Night Football until the appearance of NFL V.P. of football operations Ray Anderson on ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike in the Morning, we were all under the impression (thanks to the ESPN editors and producers who were shaping the message) that the NFL plans to outlaw "devastating hits." Though Anderson used that term in a quote provided to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, someone at ESPN took the phrase "devastating hits and head shots" out of context and assumed incorrectly that the NFL plans to take all "devastating hits and head shots" out of the game.

Anderson made it clear on Tuesday that the rules aren't changing. Instead, the NFL will be enforcing the rules with bigger fines and possibly suspensions."

--- Added 10/20/2010 at 05:39 PM ---

Edit:

Even freaking Tom Brady have been out saying that taking hits is a part of this game (from nfl.com)

Brady said he hadn't seen the hit that led to his teammate's fine, adding that the players have neeeded to adjust to rule changes before and will do it again. As a quarterback, he doesn't hit people too often, and he hasn't received a lot of hits to the head, either.

"It's a dangerous game; it really is," Brady said. "I think we all signed up for this game knowing that it's dangerous. ... Nobody wants to see anybody get hurt. That's not why we play the game. But we also know the physical nature of this sport is that people do get hurt. We've all been hurt. Everybody in this locker room has been hurt. I've had four or five surgeries. It's just part of what you're signing up for."

Big Kev
10-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Harrison is supposed to be one of the leaders on the field. He is an icon of Steelers football. To quit the game, his teammates, and the fan base is igronant and childish for a man of his stature. He needs to lead his team and be an example for others to follow. Would I be pissed hell yeah but, I wouldn't quit. Tough times don't last, Tough peploe do. I'm sure his teammates support his disagreance with the fines but, I guarentee there was alot of respect lost from his sissy-*** retirement quote and going home early from practice. Retire James someone will prosper in your spot just like you after Joey left. You're not irreplacable if you quit the world will only remember you for quiter and not for every thing you accomplished...

$teelersRule
10-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Harrison is not going to retire nor has the thought ever crossed his mind. He is just using this threat to gain some support to keep this game from becoming soccer 2.0

Farrior Fan
10-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Harrison is supposed to be one of the leaders on the field. He is an icon of Steelers football. To quit the game, his teammates, and the fan base is igronant and childish for a man of his stature. He needs to lead his team and be an example for others to follow. Would I be pissed hell yeah but, I wouldn't quit. Tough times don't last, Tough peploe do. I'm sure his teammates support his disagreance with the fines but, I guarentee there was alot of respect lost from his sissy-*** retirement quote and going home early from practice. Retire James someone will prosper in your spot just like you after Joey left. You're not irreplacable if you quit the world will only remember you for quiter and not for every thing you accomplished...

yeah James, fall in line with the other sheep.

Remember this is the guy who didn't go to the historic...burp...Oblama white house. If he doesn't stand up for what he knows is right I wouldn't respect him. Dammit, I'm gonna get a #92 jersey now cuz I respect him on and off the field. Big Kev, get your head outta ur azz and get out of line...BAAAAAAA

steelcurtaingurl
10-20-2010, 09:43 PM
I think I would understand this fine better and wouldnt be upset if they enforced this rule before Sunday the 17th. Its always the steelers that are the once that set the tide for things... Harrison is held all the time and refs don't call it... If they called these hits "illegal" earlier and fined earlier thats fine but you can't just start enforcing the rules when you want to....

coldrolled
10-20-2010, 09:47 PM
harrison will play... harrison will start hitting lower. eventually the first acl tear and harrison will say i told you so. he may be just setting up the next storyline.

Farrior Fan
10-20-2010, 09:53 PM
funny how all I heard on AM sports radio today was about how the NFl was taking down the pics that they were selling online of the "illegal hits" by Harrison.

I JUST WENT TO THE SITE AND BOUGHT THEM 10 HOURS AFTER AN NFL SPOKESPERSON SAID THEY WOULD BE TAKEN OFF THE SITE. Seriously if you cannot run your business any better than that, I will send in my resume and run the entire NFL. I will allow big hits, ban anything pink, and update website in a timely manner. All for the low low cost of what you fined players for what you deemed wrong and what I deem right. Lets bet on which NFL real core fans will watch.

--- Added 10/20/2010 at 07:53 PM ---

BTW - lets just hope he rips a QB's knee to shreds. James - do NOT hit Brandon Marshall too hard! He is on my fantasy team and I need him as much as I need the Steelers D, Ben, Wallace, and Rashard to perform down the stretch. Thats right I have more than 1/2 the Steelers O on my team. Guess who can beat Goodell in Fantasy FB? Thats right me! Why? Because I am an average American male and he is a Frenchy Pinky Peyton loving moron.

LarryNJ
10-20-2010, 09:54 PM
harrison will play... harrison will start hitting lower. eventually the first acl tear and harrison will say i told you so. he may be just setting up the next storyline.

Amen!

Big Kev
10-20-2010, 10:12 PM
yeah James, fall in line with the other sheep.

Remember this is the guy who didn't go to the historic...burp...Oblama white house. If he doesn't stand up for what he knows is right I wouldn't respect him. Dammit, I'm gonna get a #92 jersey now cuz I respect him on and off the field. Big Kev, get your head outta ur azz and get out of line...BAAAAAAA

He's not standing up for himself. He's running away from the problem. Two different things.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-20-2010, 10:19 PM
While i really do agree, I don't think it is the money that's the problem, but more the fact that he is not allowed to play the style of football that he (and all other defensive players) have been taught...

--- Added 10/20/2010 at 05:35 PM ---

Also, from profootballtalk:

For roughly 12 hours, from halftime of ESPN's Monday Night Football until the appearance of NFL V.P. of football operations Ray Anderson on ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike in the Morning, we were all under the impression (thanks to the ESPN editors and producers who were shaping the message) that the NFL plans to outlaw "devastating hits." Though Anderson used that term in a quote provided to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, someone at ESPN took the phrase "devastating hits and head shots" out of context and assumed incorrectly that the NFL plans to take all "devastating hits and head shots" out of the game.

Anderson made it clear on Tuesday that the rules aren't changing. Instead, the NFL will be enforcing the rules with bigger fines and possibly suspensions."

--- Added 10/20/2010 at 05:39 PM ---

Edit:

Even freaking Tom Brady have been out saying that taking hits is a part of this game (from nfl.com)

I understand Harrison is frustrated he might not be allowed to play the game he has been trained since he was in youth football....I actually agree with James big time in that regard and the think the pussifacation of the NFL is a joke....But I'm just saying just man up and play the game even in the watered down version of the NFL...Win the Super Bowl at the end then Ben and James can give Goodell and all the sensitive NFL
fans out there a big middle finger...

What I meant about the $75,000 fine was more about how some Steelers fan want to chip in a dollar each and pay his fine.....:lol: I find that crazy since Harrison makes millions and basically $75,000 is a dollar to him......

If Harrison retires which I don't think he will....I just think he is pissed right and I don't blame him....But if he does hang up the cleats then he is turning his back on his team-mates mid-season and is being selfish........

Farrior Fan
10-20-2010, 10:20 PM
he is making a point, and one which I hope every other NFL player supports him in.

Fanforlife
10-20-2010, 10:45 PM
I agree with you Blkngldscorpio. Fu-ck the upper body start going for the legs and turn bitches upside down and make them do sick--*** cartwheels in mid air. There will never be a fine for that. Take it out on the dolphins and the opponent after them and so on and so forth. Stay and kick some ***. I remember when they did that in the 70's,80's and that's how we got our superbowls like we did! I remember Terry Bradshaw my favorite quarterback getting hit sooo hard that he had a cut on his head & was bleeding the coach wanted to keep him out but, he didn't want to so, he went back in and play. I remember being soooooo impress by that. How look at the games they're going to hell!
:rant2: :bangdesk:

:pinksteelers:

igor0190
10-21-2010, 12:33 AM
What I meant about the $75,000 fine was more about how some Steelers fan want to chip in a dollar each and pay his fine.....:lol: I find that crazy since Harrison makes millions and basically $75,000 is a dollar to him.

The money will never go to the fine! It will go to some charity. It's a statement! A dollar to support James Harrison and the game of football as you love it... is that too much to ask?

Danger DANJ
10-21-2010, 12:43 AM
James is just pissed right now. He's not really going to retire. Tomlin sent him home because of the fact that he is so pissed. What if James practiced and took it out on his teammates? lol. He usually gets Wednesdays off anyway. He'll be back at practice tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if James got some kind of commercial deal out of this because of the stink he's making.

ACSTEEL3
10-21-2010, 02:37 AM
Its my first time here. I am just testing this area out.

I think this Harrison fine is very unfair. How can the NFL market these greatest hits videos or DVDs and sell these hit pics. yet fine a guy for making the NFL money for these hits. There has to be a better way. I think the Steeler players are getting the short end of the stick when it comes to fines and suspensions. Steelers shouldnt be singled out and set to be the only example all the time. Go Steelers/Go Steeler Nation/Keep smacking brownies down JH92/Turn the fins into sushi:tt02: