PDA

View Full Version : Harrison fined $75k

harpo
10-19-2010, 06:07 PM
NFL fines Harrison, Meriweather and Robinson for helmet shots
Vinnie Iyer
Sporting NewsSporting News

The fines from a hard-hitting Sunday in the NFL have been levied by league officials, and not surprisingly, they have gone to most egregious offenders.

According to multiple media reports, Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather, who delivered two vicious helmet-to-helmet hits on Todd Heap in New England’s 23-20 overtime win over Baltimore, will be docked $50,000 for his actions. Steelers linebacker James Harrison will be fined $75,000 for a pair of similar instances in Pittsburgh’s 28-10 win over Cleveland, in which he caused Browns receivers Joshua Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi to suffer concussions. Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson also gets fined $50,000 for a hit that led to both him and Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson being concussed.

None of the players were given suspensions.

Read more:

Harrison, Meriweather & Robinson fined for helmet shots (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-10/nfl-head-injuries/story/nfl-fines-harrison-meriweather-and-robinson-for-helmet-shots#ixzz12qCxSMyJ)

steelersbabex25
10-19-2010, 06:18 PM
I was just listening to Lavar Arrington's radio show and he was discussing this. A guy came on saying that if fines don't stop players from hitting the way they are, they need to start suspending people, to which Lavar responded that that's going to start ruining the game, because then players and going to stop talking. :dunno: gotta say I agree with Arrington.

coldrolled
10-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Wow, they said that cribbs was a RB and was not an issue.... Now it is?

How about the last two weeks. TJWards two hits, the hit on Aaron Rodgers??

scott0326
10-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Sounds like a suspension may be coming according to ESPN.com article..

Players and teams are usually notified on Wednesdays of fines and the league confirms them publicly on Friday. But suspensions need to be determined earlier in the week to allow a team to prepare for competing without that player.

Ray Anderson, the league's vice president of football operations, said Tuesday that suspensions will be in place for the coming weekend's games and could be handed out for hits that took place last Sunday

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Completely and totally ridiculous!! What are we going to do put dresses on all the offesive players...

coldrolled
10-19-2010, 06:29 PM
they will suspend harrison next week so he cant play the saints, a new way to control the league leaders.. more parity control....

were the big hitters TJWard... and others last week all rookies? they didnt have that kind of coin to start these 75k fines last week.......

this week the veterans were the hitters?? money in hand.... just thinking...

LatrobePA
10-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Pure f'n BS....I can't believe this!

This will absolutey mean pure hell for Henne!!

steelersbabex25
10-19-2010, 06:33 PM
they will suspend harrison next week so he cant play the saints, a new way to control the league leaders.. more parity control....

were the big hitters TJWard... and others last week all rookies? they didnt have that kind of coin to start these 75k fines last week.......

this week the veterans were the hitters?? money in hand.... just thinking...

Dear Mr. Harrison,

In addition to turning our heads everytime you are held, you will now also be suspended next week for hitting someone. If you hit anyone the week after that, you will be tossed from the game, and suspended again. We're just sick and tired of you doing your job as a linebacker. We hope you understand.

Sincerely,
the NFL

P.S. Please don't hurt us.

Root4Stlrs
10-19-2010, 06:37 PM
I don't get the amounts. I thought Merriweather's hit much more egregious. And Dunta Robinson's hit? Granted, he almost knocked himself out, but Harrison getting the biggest fine?? What's up with that? They say it's b/c he's a repeat offender.
If Joshua Cribbs' hit counts, then what about TJ Ward? As said above, he's a rookie so I guess it doesn't count - his helmet to helmet hit on Mendenhall? And where is all the moralizing about husbands, fathers, etc. when it comes to that hit? Didn't hear a peep from Watson on that one. Oh is that because it was HIS TEAMMATE who inflicted the hit?

Danger DANJ
10-19-2010, 06:38 PM
How the F does Harrison get fined more?! They are only fining him for the Massaquoi hit which was iffy and the others are getting fined less for hits that were definitely illegal.

LatrobePA
10-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Bottom line is, it's not our money so why do we care so much? These guys make millions, but what pisses me off is the ******* refs didn't throw flags on either one. He's a repeat offender steming back to the hit on VY where he lifted him them slammed him into the ground with 3 other players. Again NO f'n FLAGS.

Harrisons only mistake is running his mouth after the game, if he kept quiet I'm betting he'd be fined a less amount...

Root4Stlrs
10-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Dear Mr. Harrison,

In addition to turning our heads everytime you are held, you will now also be suspended next week for hitting someone. If you hit anyone the week after that, you will be tossed from the game, and suspended again. We're just sick and tired of you doing your job as a linebacker. We hope you understand.

Sincerely,
the NFL

:plus1:
At least no suspension for this week's game.

igor0190
10-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Bottom line is, it's not our money so why do we care so much? These guys make millions, but what pisses me off is the ******* refs didn't throw flags on either one. He's a repeat offender steming back to the hit on VY where he lifted him them slammed him into the ground with 3 other players. Again NO f'n FLAGS.

Harrisons only mistake is running his mouth after the game, if he kept quiet I'm betting he'd be fined a less amount...

This SHOULDN'T **** you off... If they start leaving this bullcrap in the hands of the refs the game will be completely ruined with 15 yard penalties all over the place.

The NFLPA needs to get some balls and get involved.

Root4Stlrs
10-19-2010, 06:44 PM
I think this explains why they don't call the holding penalties all the times that Harrison is blatantly. It's their way of payback.

LatrobePA
10-19-2010, 06:44 PM
This SHOULDN'T **** you off... If they start leaving this bullcrap in the hands of the refs the game will be completely ruined with 15 yard penalties all over the place.

Fine the zebras for not knowing their *******s from a hole in the ground then.

I can see a fine and or suspension if their were flags thrown.

Root4Stlrs
10-19-2010, 06:49 PM

The NFLPA needs to get some balls and get involved.

They WILL be throwing flags all over the place. I just hope Harrison does tone it down enough not to get suspended. Anything he does is going to be under a microscope.

igor0190
10-19-2010, 06:51 PM
This is freaking nuts... We got a bunch of white collar suits who've never played the game deciding what the intent of players hits are. They then assign a dollar value or suspension to it. Are you f'n kidding me.

$75,000... I wonder what kind of fine it will take before an individual player gets their lawyers involved and sues the NFL.

[/URL]

NFL fines Steelers' Harrison $75,000; Harrison: 'It was a legal hit'
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201010/harrison1018_330.jpg
Keith Srakocic/AP
Linebacker James Harrison hits Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi. The NFL fined Harrison $75,000 for the hit.

Steelers linebacker James Harrison has been fined $75,000 by the NFL for his helmet-leading hit that caused Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi to receive a concussion. Harrison was not suspended.
Browns wide receiver Joshua Cribbs also sustained a concussion on a helmet-first hit by Harrison on a running play a few minutes before the Massaquoi hit. The Cribbs tackle was not reviewed by the NFL.
"It was a legal hit," Harrison maintained in an interview today with the Post-Gazette, before the fine was levied by the NFL, as did Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.
"All you have to do is look at the tape," Harrison said.
He said he was not aiming for Massaquoi's head and actually tried to pull off of him. He believes he's being targeted because of media opinion against him.
"If I get fined it's because anybody out there who has a camera in their face or a pen in their hand is writing their opinion and it's all the same. I just happened to be one of the bigger names who hit somebody last weekend."
The fine came as the league announced it would begin suspending players for dangerous and flagrant hits. Harrison was not penalized on the play.
The NFL also fined New England's Brandon Meriweather and Atlanta's Dunta Robinson $50,000 each for "flagrant violations of players safety rules" in games Sunday, according to a league statement($50,000)
In letters to each player, Ray Anderson, NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations, said: "Future offenses will result in an escalation of fines up to and including suspension."
The statement noted that Harrison is a "repeat offender", having been fined $5,000 for unnecessary roughness for roughing the passer in Pittsburgh's Sept. 19 game against Tennessee.
A handful of blows to the head in Sunday's NFL games prompted league officials to react, promising a crackdown with fines and/or suspensions for such hits. Harrison even cited the hit by Patriots defensive back Brandon Meriweather on Baltimore tight end Todd Heap as "a nasty hit."
"My hit was nowhere near the magnitude of that," Harrison said. "That was a nasty hit."

Read more: [URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10292/1096447-100.stm#ixzz12r4RrtM4 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10292/1096447-100.stm)

steelersbabex25
10-19-2010, 06:53 PM

I don't care about the money, hell, the players don't even care about the money. What I care about is there possibly being a suspension now for these perfectly legal hits. THAT would be annoying.

MPYOUNG33
10-19-2010, 06:58 PM
The NFL is turning into a school yard game of 2 hand touch.

coldrolled
10-19-2010, 06:59 PM
I think this explains why they don't call the holding penalties all the times that Harrison is blatantly. It's their way of payback.

if they would call all the holding on 92.... the offense would stop it... and then sometime during the game they would need a new QB... so its just more ref game control to protect the QB.

Harrison will now hit harder and lower on the body... he said he would rather pay the fine hitting high then hurt the players down low.

you would think harrison being shorter.. would really hit hard down lower. i say aim for the ball..... i guess more cracked ribs will be coming next week.

Big T
10-19-2010, 07:05 PM
He won't be suspended...

NEW YORK (AP)—The NFL has fined but not suspended three players for dangerous hits in Sunday’s games.

The league announced Tuesday that the Pittsburgh Steelers’ James Harrison(notes) was docked $75,000 while the New England Patriots’ Brandon Meriweather(notes) and the Atlanta Falcons’ Dunta Robinson(notes) will lose $50,000 each.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league wanted to give players fair warning before it begins suspensions for flagrant hits. He says a memo will go out to teams Wednesday about the changes in disciplinary action.

Vice president of football operations Ray Anderson said earlier Tuesday that players could be suspended for hits that occurred in last weekend’s games.

LatrobePA
10-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Woodley said it best"

"if the league is so concerned about players health, then why are they pushing 18 games"

"just say'n"

I'm close to his <quote>

steelersbabex25
10-19-2010, 07:16 PM
He won't be suspended...

Not this time..

airbrake 1
10-19-2010, 07:37 PM
I remember james harrison saying he cared about the money and he should. I don't care he he makes a billion dollars he earned it and should be able to keep it...but this is another example of goodell making decisions based on public opinion and his lawyers telling him that all kinds of players from the past who had concussions assembling together for some type of class action suit... lawsuits scare the hell out of the owners, but these claims hold no water the players know the risks and are hansomely compensated for the risk...if the player doesn't want to accept the risk, i dont see the owner holding a gun to his head forcing him to play, he can find a job driving a taxi or flipping burgers...so remember every time someone says that a hit is illegal(even when the hit is on a steeler) your giving fuel to goodells fire...this BS will be the death of the game we all love

harpo
10-19-2010, 07:47 PM
How the F does Harrison get fined more?! They are only fining him for the Massaquoi hit which was iffy and the others are getting fined less for hits that were definitely illegal.

According to NFL Network, Harrison's fine was more because he is a "repeat" offender.

LarryNJ
10-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Harrison will now hit harder and lower on the body...

you would think harrison being shorter.. would really hit hard down lower. i say aim for the ball..... i guess more cracked ribs will be coming next week.

Fumbles and cracked ribs..a good combo! :)

... lawsuits scare the hell out of the owners, but these claims hold no water the players know the risks and are hansomely compensated for the risk...

They would hold water if neglect was shown. A few good attorneys could certainly make a case.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Dear Mr. Harrison,

Sincerely,
the NFL

Oh and by the way thanks to you, we are officially changing our names to the NVAL No Violence Allowed League, and you will be required to sing hymns in the huddle before every play.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-19-2010, 08:26 PM
The Steelers should absolutely be appealing this along with Harrison and his agent. There is no excuse to fine James for those hits and either worse fine him more than others who's hits were more flagrant.

I would my entire years salary to watch Goodell get on the field for just 1 play with Harrison.

Stlrs4Life
10-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Heck on the NFL.

75Steeler
10-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Welcome to Candy *** Goddell's NFL. Pretty soon it will be the National Fag League and they will play flag football and both teams will have a picnic together at halftime and pat each other on the ***! Makes me sick!

Root4Stlrs
10-19-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm no expert on tackling and hits and people's intentions when they do so, but the slow mo of Harrison's tackle of Massaquoi showed that Massaquoi lowered his head right before the hit. That appeared to be the movement that made it helmet to helmet.

RIVERS OF STEEL
10-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Time for the nerf football and rubber helmets. Man this fn sucks big time. Think about the questionable calls cause of this one. The players should sign a contract excusing anyone from killing them because of rough play in the NFL. You are going to get your *** kicked playing football. IT'S CALLED GRID IRON for a reason.

18 games. Hell, there will not be one 1st stringer playing after about game 8 if they really get down on this. Hey, he hit me ref.

Anybody know if you can get camel polo on the grid?

pittlip
10-19-2010, 11:42 PM
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7775/harrisonf.jpg

MattyVfromCT
10-19-2010, 11:59 PM
i agree. what is he supposed to do? let up and allow him to go around and get the first down and more? **** no, this is football and this homo of a commish is ruining the great game we all love

SteelJunkie
10-20-2010, 12:15 AM
total bs

MattyVfromCT
10-20-2010, 12:18 AM
Dear Mr. Harrison,

Sincerely,
the NFL

:plus1: ROFL! I GOTTA USE THAT AS MY FACEBOOK STATUS! SO TRUE!

LatrobePA
10-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Water under the bridge now, they saw what they wanted to see...

coldrolled
10-20-2010, 01:08 PM
harrison said he will start hitting lower...

bring out the carts...

well, the next rule will be running backs running straight up. not leading with the spearing helmet.. right? cribbs was leading with his helmet, harrison was coming at him from around the blocker and collided head to head..... both heads were down.

lets see now.. all the RB's cannot lead with the helmet... new anti-spearing rule?

lloydfan4life
10-20-2010, 01:13 PM
I say let the Commish suit up with the dolphins this weekend and hand off the ball to him! Puhhhleeeese? Just once?

harpo
10-20-2010, 01:18 PM
I say let the Commish suit up with the dolphins this weekend and hand off the ball to him! Puhhhleeeese? Just once?

:plus1::lol::clap:

Scorp
10-20-2010, 04:09 PM
One word for this----Gandu.