PDA

View Full Version : Key's to beating the Dolphins this week

BlitzburghRockCity
10-19-2010, 10:55 AM
This game upcoming starts out a 3 game road stretch that will probably go a long way to defining what type of team we really have. Miami is finding ways to win, ugly or pretty, they are a team that you have to be ready for. A few points of note

-Get the crowd out of it early. If you start going 3 and out, tossing picks, fumbling, and generally not moving the ball it will fuel the fire of the fans and make it more difficult to come back should we get down in this game.

-Get Ben going early; use the short passing game to compliment the run game. The more ways you can keep the defense off balance the better chances you have of selling play action and going down field for big plays to Mike Wallace.

-Defense needs to get off the field on 3rd down. Allowing an offense convert 3rd and 10, 3rd and 15 just gives them confidence and completely deflates your defense.

-Use Heath more. The dude could have 6-8 catches per game easily and every one of them is usually a first down. That should go without saying on any weekend but with Ben back now, using a guy like Heath to make big plays down the middle is essential.

75Steeler
10-19-2010, 11:01 AM
I agree with TG get Miller more involved. Also is anyone else worried about the amount of times we are running Mendenhall? I think we need to spread our running game out to a few different players. Yes Mendy is awesome but we also run the risk of hurting him early in the season and becoming predictable throughout the NFL. Why aren't we using Redman and Mewelde Moore more than we are? Just my opinion.

jnes1216
10-19-2010, 11:07 AM
All good points. The hard thing for me this week will be watching the Dolphins passing game because I think they will move the ball. As long as we are stout in the red zone and force some field goals I think we will be fine.

LatrobePA
10-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Put pressure on Henne, keep him guessing (see Vince Young).

Run, run, run the ball to back off the pressure, then hit them w/ some pass action.

Would help if Woodley could break pothead again!! j/k lol

Steel Trap86
10-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Defense is the key to this game. Keeping Henne, Bess & Marshall in check. I'm not at all worried about Ronnie or Ricky, the only thing that is a cause for concern is our pass defense and Miami has a pretty decent receiving core.

steelchamp204
10-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Watch Miami to use there screens and we have to control brandon marshall, and since we are running the ball alot use playaction donw in the redzone area where the dolphins have been pretty good against the run.

DanRooney
10-19-2010, 02:34 PM
I know a lot about the Dolphins as one of my best friends is a fan of theirs.

-Cameron Wake vs. Starks/Flozell - This is going to be a huge matchup. Wake is an excellent pass rusher and is moved to both left and right OLB depending on his success over the tackle he's lined up against. He's on pace for 12 sacks this season.
-James Harrison vs. Jake Long - Harrison needs to find a way to pressure Henne, who is doing his Drew Brees impression this year throwing 35-40 balls a game. If he can consistently beat the former #1 pick, we win this game.
-Brandon Marshall vs. McFadden/Taylor - Marshall is always a tough matchup for our DBs. Last year, he caught 11 passes for 112 yards with Kyle Orton at QB.
-Mike Wallace vs. Vontae Davis - Miami's secondary reeks outside of Davis, who held Santonio to one catch in last year's matchup. Expect things to open up for Ward/Sanders/El if they need safety help to contain Wallace and only use a LB to cover Heath.

LatrobePA
10-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Wake, Bess, Marshall worry me!!

Henne not so much, Woodley, Timmons, Harrison will own him...

SteelerSal
10-19-2010, 03:15 PM
The key will be containing Henne's favorite 3rd down reciever..Bess.

coach
10-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Turnovers are killers and they are -3 this year. If we can continue to win the turnover battle, it should spell success. They have had two quality teams this year and lost both. They did well to beat Minn and GB on road, but Minn was playing like crap and GB had more injuries than a mash unit.

Take care of business on both sides of the ball and another quality road win is VERY possible for us.

signed,
Cautiously Optimistic:crossfingers:

Troyisabeast_43
10-19-2010, 03:47 PM
This game will be a lot closer then the Tampa and Titans games were on the road but I still believe as long as the Steelers dont beat themselves this week with turnovers and other dumb mistakes they should be able to walk out of Miami with a win. The Dolphins are a decent team but not a great team. The bottom line is the Steelers are a much better team then Miami all the way across the board and if the execute and play the way they are capable of the Steelers should win this game by 10 points I believe...Im gonna say 24-14 Steelers...

Scorp
10-20-2010, 04:00 PM
:goodpost:

LatrobePA
10-20-2010, 04:04 PM
The key to beating any team the rest of the year:

Beat Roger Go-to-hell first!

Scorp
10-20-2010, 04:06 PM
The key to beating any team the rest of the year:

Beat Roger Go-to-hell first!

Exactly. But what i was going to say is break their fu--in necks and send bitch Goodell a message. :yellowthumb:

LatrobePA
10-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Exactly. But what i was going to say is break their fu--in necks and send bitch Goodell a message. :yellowthumb:

I like this idea! F Goodell and the Phins!!

Scorp
10-20-2010, 04:20 PM
I have a feeling this is going to be a very special game.

jnes1216
10-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Defense will need to focus on the game and not all this fine/suspension B.S. I'm hoping once kickoff comes around, they'll be back to playing Steeler D.

On another note, when is the Sanders vs Brown decision for the active roster decided? Is that Sunday?

LatrobePA
10-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Tomorrow I believe...

jnes1216
10-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Tomorrow I believe...

I think Sanders will get another chance this week.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Special teams could be very huge in this game.....The Dolphins already have had a special teams melt down this year against the Pats which their special days coach was fired after the game.....I doubt the new coach has really improved the Dolphins special teams that much since he has been there only a short time....

I would dress both Sanders and Brown this week......Even if Browns just returns kicks.........We all know he can take one to the house since he has one already this year against the Titans.......The Pats blocked field goals and punts.....I would look to every angle you could win this game.......

coldrolled
10-21-2010, 02:17 PM
The biggest plan to win is to blitz like we did in titan town... we kicked their arses.

same game plan here.. henne will want out. the rest of the fins will look for deep water.

Callax
10-21-2010, 03:18 PM
We need to be stout against the run (business as usual) and KEEP MARSHALL IN CHECK!!!
If he cannot get 10-12 catches a game, their passing game will be in massive trouble!!!!
run like we have this year, get Ben synched into Miller, Ward, El, and Brown/Sanders and the game will take care of itself!

BLACKnGOLD58
10-22-2010, 02:09 PM
The biggest plan to win is to blitz like we did in titan town... we kicked their arses.

same game plan here.. henne will want out. the rest of the fins will look for deep water.

:iagree: