PDA

View Full Version : Another Over-reaction From Lord Goodell

SteelDad
10-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Once again the National Football League and its’ almighty Commissioner Roger Goodell stand ready to over-react once again to issues related to the game of pro football. Goodell has already left more than his footprint on this league by taking on player conduct on the field and as we Steelers’ fans know, off the field as well. I honestly understand the concern the League office has for these ‘violent hits’ and ‘helmet-to-helmet hits’ and ‘launching himself like a missile’ hits but at what cost to the game are you willing to sacrifice Mr. Goodell? Thirty and forty years ago, pro football players were better tacklers. They were taught proper technique and this technique was beaten into them with constant repetition during training camp. Let’s remember also that these were times when NFL players were not ’12 month’ guys. Many had other jobs outside of the league. Ironically, with OTA’s and ‘voluntary workouts,’ pro players truly are year ‘round men who consistently take steps to better themselves physically and mentally for their coming seasons. This begs the question, why are defenders not better tacklers? Are they not around the coaches often enough? Are they not around other players and the team facility often enough? There’s no excuse for these guys not to be more proficient at tackling in the safest, possible manner right?

So now the League is going to suspend players for ‘violent hits’. Another feather in your cap eh Mr. Goodell? You’re making the League safer and more entertaining for the fans right? Uh, wrong. The messages you are sending from the League office are as confusing as the look on Wade Phillips’ face right now. You want to add 2 games at a time when head injuries are on the rise as are these ‘violent hits.’ You are looking at expanding the League as far as potentially to Europe, but have you not considered a player or players with head injuries getting on a plane for a 6 or 8 or 10 hour flight back? Ya, that’s real good for the ol’ noggin. You are now operating under the assumption that suspending players for these hits is the real answer to stopping them rather than hitting them with fines. Is anything you do in all your infinite wisdom ever done with the fans in mind? You are single-handedly taking the most popular sport in America, by far I might add, and dumbing it down to nothing short of two-hand touch for Scripp’s Spelling Bee Participants. Look, I’m not advocating for death and destruction on the gridiron. That isn’t what we’re talking about here. This is another way of turning the NFL’s product into a fraternity league flag football game that ends 72-68. In regulation!! There are 3 phases to the game of football and you are stripping one of them of their most important elements like physicality, fear, and intimidation. To quote Chris Carter of ESPN, “There are only a certain number of guys who can go over the middle. That’s because it’s the middle of the field! You’re supposed to get hit hard there!” The suspending of players will be one of the most subjective changes in the history of the rules of the game. How are you going to determine if a player truly leads with his head? What criteria will you use? If I’m the offensive player, I’m going to turn into Jimmy freaking Stewart and give the acting performance of a lifetime to get this guy thrown out. Is that what you want Mr. Goodell? Guys flopping worse than Bill Laimbeer or any soccer player on the planet?

You are once again taking the game away from the fans. You have a looming work stoppage on your doorstep just waiting to drive away fans and corporate sponsors but you don’t care because you are not fan-friendly and never have been. The players know the risks every time they put a helmet on and trot onto the field. If they choose to no longer accept that risk than I completely understand and respect their decision. It’s a tough, violent game and these men know it just like those of us in the seats and on our couches know it. I guarantee Mr. Commissioner that this is going to bite you in the *** come playoff time when you render your decision from on high that a Ray Lewis, James Harrison or Clay Matthews can’t play a playoff game because they were ‘too violent.’ Next season when you’re on your little training camp tour, how about insisting that teams focus more on proper tackling technique than talking about why we shouldn’t be hitting so hard and sounding like the soccer mom whose son got a boo-boo from a knock on the head. You and your minions are ruining this League Mr. Goodell and don’t tell me it’s for player safety because we know better than that.

Marc Uhlmann
www.steeleraddicts.com

SteelJunkie
10-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Well they can't even handle suspensions fairly on their conduct policy. I see this going bad, I mean what is the line between suspension and good hit. It hasn't been laid out and I foresee yet again a double standard by the NFL.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-19-2010, 09:56 AM
It's all over the media this week already and probably not going away any time soon. Peter King is on Sirius this morning talking about how the NFL is working on new policies that they will try to implement immediately. So basically they are considering allowing officials the ability to eject players on the spot if the hit is considered malicious or otherwise interpreted as intention. Also including immediate 15 yd penalty and fines.

You are absolutely killing the NFL here, there is no excuse to take violence out of football, and if you allow them to go down this path then it just opens up everything else to turn this league into a bunch of guys afraid to hit anyone.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Just listening to Sirius right now, the league has said that they are not going to change the rules right now but are going to enforce the current rules much more harshly and at a higher level. At this point nobody really knows what that means exactly. Does it include suspension, higher fines, all of the above, who knows.

:evilshake:

The worst part is, you can't challenge a penalty call. Replays are not allowed to double check an official on a questionable hit. Now you have the officials potentially in the total wrong direction and making calls they think they see but aren't sure and you could end up costing teams the game.

jnes1216
10-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Again all the onus is put on the defenders with this ruling. Pass defense is bad enough, you can't even breathe on a receiver without being called for a penalty. Two things to look for in the future now will be how many receivers get serious knee injuries from guys tackling low and how many defenders will accidentally lead with the crown of their helmet because they are trying to lower their hit at the last second. This could be very dangerous to the defender for spinal injuries.

Ray Allen (VP of NFL something or another) just said on Mike and Mike that even if a defender initiates contact on a receiver below the head but the hit travels upward to the head it could still be subject to suspension. That's ridiculous.

I wonder if the league will react the same if a receiver short arms a catch and lowers his head in anticipation of a hit from going over the middle but gets snot rocked from a defender on a bang-bang play?

Players in a defenseless position seem to be the key issue here, just like the ruling with Hines Ward breaking the bungles Lber's jaw. I just dread that this will hurt our defense down the road when one of our starters gets suspended.

indy_steelers
10-19-2010, 10:25 AM
I think it is in part due to fantasy football. A lot of money is made there and I have heard fantasy players/leagues complain about losing hundreds if not thousands of dollars because player X is out for 5 games due to injury. They are also payed more now because of the injuries. They are the chance you take when you play football.

jnes1216
10-19-2010, 10:37 AM
I think it is in part due to fantasy football. A lot of money is made there and I have heard fantasy players/leagues complain about losing hundreds if not thousands of dollars because player X is out for 5 games due to injury. They are also payed more now because of the injuries. They are the chance you take when you play football.

I know fantasy football is big right now but I doubt it.

SteelDad
10-19-2010, 10:44 AM
You guys are seeing the same issues that I am. What's going to happen when the back judge throws a flag for a 'violent hit' but the side judge doesn't but the play is right in front of him while the back judge was 30 yards away? Who then will decide if the hit was violent enough to warrant an ejection?

I also believe that fantasy football is a part of this as well. Not all of it or even close, but it's there. This is also an effort to bring in casual fans too who may otherwise not be interested because they 'don't like the violence.' And lastly, it absolutely driven by the need to score points. When is the last time the offense was affected by a league ruling like this? From the Mel Blount rule to the face-guarding rule, everything hinders the defense. This league is going to crap under Goodell.

--- Added 10/19/2010 at 09:44 AM ---

I know fantasy football is big right now but I doubt it.

I can understand your doubts and like I said I think it is only a small piece to this puzzle, but remember how much money is involved with fantasy through sponsorships and licensing. Not to mention the financial impacts during the fantasy draft season at local eateries and bars.

jnes1216
10-19-2010, 10:54 AM
I can understand your doubts and like I said I think it is only a small piece to this puzzle, but remember how much money is involved with fantasy through sponsorships and licensing. Not to mention the financial impacts during the fantasy draft season at local eateries and bars.

I hear ya but seeing a guy twitch on the ground seems to be the motivating factor in this decision not who do I have to pull of my bench for next weeks fantasy match up. Player safety is being repeated over and over. If money is an issue then you have to bring in gambling concerns and injury reports, etc. But it seems we're going off topic.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-19-2010, 11:04 AM
I have a real problem with this, and it just burns me up. I don't care if it's Harrison or somebody else on another team. You're paid as a defender to make the tackle at all costs. There's a reason that hitting helmet to helmet on a ball carrier is allowed. Defenseless players going up for the ball, is a bit different but even that at times goes over the top.

The NFL is slowly but surely taking the game out of the game. Players, defenders especially run on instinct. when you start "thinking" about how you are going to play when you're out on the field you become far less effective. You are taught to go after the ball carrier and get him down at all costs. Once the little voice in your head starts getting louder and telling you "oh you better watch how you hit that guy it inevitably causes a split second moment of pause and you end up becoming less and less effective over time.

I hate that the NFL reacts with a knee jerk philosophy just because there is one weekend where there are more than your average amount of helmet to helmet hits. Look at the past, these types of hits are not as prevalent as everyone thinks. It's part of the game, let it alone!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-19-2010, 11:19 AM
And now to add to this the NFL wants to add 18 games next season and in the same breath you talk about keeping players safe? There is not a player in the NFL that doesn't think an 18 game season will not shorten careers and lead to increased injuries. Hello Mr. Hypocrite NFL, I see you are still alive and well.

75Steeler
10-19-2010, 11:27 AM
If they start ejecting players for hitting hard we may lose our entire defense in one game. We don't have any sissy hitters on our D! We play smashmouth football the way it was meant to be played! Hard hits sell tickets Mr. Commissioner remember that!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-19-2010, 11:36 AM
More clarifications coming now, the league will start this coming weekend, enforcing helmet to helmet hits deemed inappropriate with ejections or suspensions.

If they start ejecting players for hitting hard we may lose our entire defense in one game. We don't have any sissy hitters on our D! We play smashmouth football the way it was meant to be played! Hard hits sell tickets Mr. Commissioner remember that!

It sounds a bit comical to say at first but in all reality you are right. Our team is full of big hitters and we could end up with a bunch of backups in there at any given time.

SteelDad
10-19-2010, 12:16 PM
I hear ya but seeing a guy twitch on the ground seems to be the motivating factor in this decision not who do I have to pull of my bench for next weeks fantasy match up. Player safety is being repeated over and over. If money is an issue then you have to bring in gambling concerns and injury reports, etc. But it seems we're going off topic.

I think we all realize what you're saying and I think I'm speaking for all of us when I say we do not want to see anyone laying on the ground twitching, but this matter goes much farther than just saying these new guidelines are about 'player safety.' And you're dead right about gambling and injury reports I'm so sorry to say, but I think what most fans are concerned about is just how this is going to be enforced. It leaves way too much discretion to individual officials and raises concerns about biases towards certain individual players. I'll use this as an example.... Let's say it's the last week of the season and teams are fighting for playoff spots. Ray Lewis blows up some guy coming across the middle, but is not flagged even though the guy is clearly hurt. Later in the day, Channing Crowder of the Dolphins levels some guy who is clearly hurt but Crowder gets hit with a flag and is ejected and then suspended for one game even though the hits were on nearly identical types of plays. And guess what? Baltimore hosts Miami in the first round of the playoffs. Think they'll be some screaming from all corners of the country and not just Miami? Damn straight there will. It isn't that I'm not concerned about player safety, I'm concerned about taking away the defender's ability to do his job and I'm concerned about the subjectivity of the rule.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Quite honestly, there's no guarantee that there will be ejections, suspensions, or more flags thrown in the wake of this news from the NFL today. These helmet to helmet hits are not something that you see every Sunday in every game. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. The NFL has been this way for decades and now after one weekend of several big hits they want to go crazy with threatening suspensions, ejections, etc. I just think it's overkill, for lack of a better term. I'm hoping the officials will still use common sense and not make snap decisions because they are afraid of the league office coming down on them if they don't.

I also realize this has been on the radar of the NFL for years now; they haven't gone out of their way to change how they penalize players for these types of hits before and by in large things have been fine. Now we get a weekend with more than the usual amounts of "impact hits" or whatever you want to call them and all of the sudden it's time to start ejecting and suspending players? I question the ability of the NFL's common sense in a big way when they use something like this as an excuse to update their enforcement of rules. Don't think for a minute that they aren't considering changing the rules too, it's only a matter of time.

The NFL players safety is important, I get that, we all get that. We're not foolish enough to think it's not. It's a violent sport, the ratio of head injuries resulting in life long problems vs the amount of players to have ever come through the NFL is virtually non existant. Stop changing the intensity and violence of the NFL; it ain't broke so leave it alone.

**off soapbox now..

nuclearchihuahuas
10-19-2010, 01:20 PM
This is crap--just another way to gain parity between the bad *** teams and the woosie ones--make everyone woosie

TampaSteelGirl
10-19-2010, 03:38 PM
The thing that chaps my :moon: about this is all you hear about it "Harrison this Harrision that..Harrison Harrison" but did anyone see that hit on Jackson from Atlanta's Dunta Robinson????? That hit was so hard Jackson can't even remember what happened. I haven't heard crap about that ONLY Harrison. Freakin whining Browns fans.....seriously this is smash mouth football...I dont want to see anyone hurt but this is what you get paid for..if you cant' take the hit...don't play! This is what they signed up for..why they make the big bucks and why you get out there to DO A JOB!!!! This aint powder puff football, might as well be the Lingerie League for God sake! Goodell and his homers are turning this into No Fun League even more.....Cripes you can't even celebrate after a TD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is Goodell afraid someone will get hurt during excessive celebration????????????????

Fans need to boycott for a couple sundays and see what happens then!!! Can we please vote this idiot out of the commissioner position anytime soon??????????????????

HUNT4SEVEN
10-19-2010, 04:36 PM
We need a REAL Commissioner of the NFL the current one is on drugs, and one who is NOT a RAT fan...

--- Added 10/19/2010 at 03:36 PM ---

The thing that chaps my :moon: about this is all you hear about it "Harrison this Harrision that..Harrison Harrison" but did anyone see that hit on Jackson from Atlanta's Dunta Robinson????? That hit was so hard Jackson can't even remember what happened. I haven't heard crap about that ONLY Harrison. Freakin whining Browns fans.....seriously this is smash mouth football...I dont want to see anyone hurt but this is what you get paid for..if you cant' take the hit...don't play! This is what they signed up for..why they make the big bucks and why you get out there to DO A JOB!!!! This aint powder puff football, might as well be the Lingerie League for God sake! Goodell and his homers are turning this into No Fun League even more.....Cripes you can't even celebrate after a TD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is Goodell afraid someone will get hurt during excessive celebration????????????????

Fans need to boycott for a couple sundays and see what happens then!!! Can we please vote this idiot out of the commissioner position anytime soon??????????????????

Or no one has complained about the Helmet to Helmet hit TJ Ward put on Mendy either...

Black@Gold Forever32
10-19-2010, 08:40 PM
I have heard much about the hit put on Jackson by Dunta Robinson......It has been all over ESPN radio...lol Along with the Brandon Meriweather hit in the Ravens game......Now the Meriweahter hit was the worse one to me...You could tell he launched himself leading with his helmet as a weapon to inflict damage.....Even Belichick thought so and yanked Merweather from the game..........

The NFL stated that Harrison's hit on Cribbs was legal.......But the one on Massaquoi was illegal and that hit is why Harrison was fined.....But I ask going forward will both hits now be considered illegal and subject Harrison to a possible suspension?......I really thought both hits by Harrison were ok and he didn't lead with his helmet at all......Its hard to not make some kind of helmet to helmet contact when players collide with high impact like that.....

But I do agree hits like the one Meriweather should be outlawed.....I would suspend him for an entire year......He used his helmet as a weapon on purpose.....

BlitzburghRockCity
10-19-2010, 08:59 PM
So basically the coaches and players on the Steelers say it's a legal hit. They saw it, they watched the tapes, but now the NFL twists it around to say it's not legal or otherwise finds some loophole to justify a fine so their perception in the public is restored. :evilshake:

Scorp
10-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Lord Goodell? I wipe a stupid monkey's ugly *** with Mr. G. C'mon Mr. G wake up and smell the monkey ***.

SteelDad
10-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Lord Goodell? I wipe a stupid monkey's ugly *** with Mr. G. C'mon Mr. G wake up and smell the monkey ***.

I figured 'Lord' was appropriate the way he runs this monarchy, errrrrrrr, league.