PDA

View Full Version : NFL to suspend players for being agressive?

xxxsteelernation
10-18-2010, 01:40 PM
I know violent hits suck but they are apart of the game. so when the nfl is suspending players for hits like harrison had on a couple of brownies. we could lose harrison for a number of games. Maybe it's just me but i don't think thats right for playing the game that its meant to be played.

Scorp
10-18-2010, 02:14 PM
If there are too many helmet to helmet hits then maybe you suspend them. But c'mon we've all discussed this over the last year or two. Let the boys be boys and let's play some ball. Tony Dungy taught his players to hit high and hard and in a safe way. The Steelers are not the Colts. Steelers will continue to play in their old fashioned hard nosed football ways.

indy_steelers
10-18-2010, 02:33 PM
The NFL sells DVD with hits just like the one yesterday. So they condone it.
http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2974245&cp=2423043.2418395&pageType=family&parentPage=family

harpo
10-18-2010, 02:49 PM
I predict in about 10 years, the NFL will become the NFFL: the National Flag Football League.

scott0326
10-18-2010, 03:36 PM
If they get suspended its bullshit, its bad enough they get a flag and a fine, a suspension is too much..

Zachintosh66
10-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Here it comes, one game suspension... Hate to say it but if the Steelers werent involved, there wouldnt be any suspension talk. Roger and his "anti-pittsburgh" policy. Bullsh!t

LatrobePA
10-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Here it comes, one game suspension... Hate to say it but if the Steelers werent involved, there wouldnt be any suspension talk. Roger and his "anti-pittsburgh" policy. Bullsh!t

Ditto!

Give them dresses and flag belts, call it ***football!!

coldrolled
10-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Ditto!

Give them dresses and flag belts, call it ***football!!

how about two yellow cards and you get the red card.. :hilarious:

steelersbabex25
10-18-2010, 05:24 PM
I think it'll only be if it happens with one specific players a numerous amount of times, and it looks like they're intentially trying to cause damage to another player. Not just for any hard hit.

Longshanks
10-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Hopefully they don't start that, it's a slippery slope. Yeah, it sucks that players get injured, but that's part of the game. They know what risks they're taking when they sign up.

coach
10-18-2010, 06:00 PM
I think articles like this make the problem worse. When the league sees stuff like this in print, they sit up and take note:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/10/18/harrison.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

If the article would have said something like "we intend to collide hard with opposing players and sometimes the speed of the game causes non-intentional helmet collisions" that would be different.

If the league is going to make an example of someone, I expect they will do it with somebody who they can say is culpable for the hit and then make him the poster child for "look what we are doing to protect the players." I saw two hits yesterdaythat were worse that Harrison's hits, but this is the first article I saw today. I am still reading articles and there may be more out there, but the headline on this one idefinitely caught my eye.

lloydfan4life
10-18-2010, 06:11 PM
**** Roger Goddell. :bigfinger:

The NFL will be a pu$$y league soon.

You signed up for a profession where physical violence takes place. Deal with it... otherwise quit and become something else less physical. We as fans pay damn good money to see hard nosed football... not some **** where a player has to think twice about tackling someone because they may be fined and/or suspended.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Tomlin said the hits were legal, Harrison isn't backing down from his aggressive play...nor should she. There's no way in hell the NFL should even fine James for those hits; no flags were thrown and it's quite evident to anyone with half a brain that they were legit hits. I would suspect if the NFL does try to levy some type of punishment that the Steelers would fight it.

LatrobePA
10-18-2010, 06:21 PM
How do we suspend Goodell for being excessive???

lloydfan4life
10-18-2010, 06:37 PM

I like the way you think, my friend! :clap:

nuclearchihuahuas
10-18-2010, 07:17 PM

We make him commissioner of the national female league...the players can't touch, take pictures, or talk to girls but they are aloud to play like girls :rant2:

coach
10-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Watch the replay of Meriweather's hit, know that he got flagged and then see this article. Here's a guy who should be suspended long before a guy like Harrison who wasn't flagged. This guy appears to have aimed his helmet at Heap's head.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5699549&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadline

steelersbabex25
10-18-2010, 07:53 PM
We make him commissioner of the national female league...the players can't touch, take pictures, or talk to girls but they are aloud to play like girls :rant2:

I resent that.

Steel Trap86
10-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Tomlin said the hits were legal, Harrison isn't backing down from his aggressive play...nor should she. There's no way in hell the NFL should even fine James for those hits; no flags were thrown and it's quite evident to anyone with half a brain that they were legit hits. I would suspect if the NFL does try to levy some type of punishment that the Steelers would fight it.

Check out the Cribbs hit again. Harrisson was head hunting, it's pretty clear He lead full on with his helmet and Cribbs' head was the target. If Goodell is reviewing "dangerous hits" that's going to be at the top of his list cause a lot of people would call that dirty. A guy from Rutgers got hit in his head this weekend and is now paralyzed from the head down. don't get me wrong I love seeing somebody get layed out just as much as anybody else, lol i think we should play this type of game every single week, but not if it's going to give the league something else to bitch about or even a suspension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLXJy3dap3o

igor0190
10-18-2010, 09:12 PM
SI's Peter King "guesses" that Patriots S Brandon Meriweather will be suspended for a malicious hit on Todd Heap in Week 6.

Meriweather, given a tongue-lashing by Bill Belichick on the field, didn't help himself by saying after that he "Point blank won't change my game, period." The NFL is strongly considering suspending Meriweather and Steelers OLB James Harrison for inflicting injuries with helmet-to-helmet hits in Week 6. Source: Peter King on Twitter

If you watch the hit it is Massoquoiu who actually lowers his head. Harrison was coming full speed to make the hit. Harrison is 4 yards away from him when he catches the ball. The play was a result of a rookie QB (Mccoy) repeatedly throwing short routes and not reading the defense... He set Massoquoiui up for that hit.

I wouldn't be surprised if Harrison gets suspended though... He's just too damn powerful. He's a scary dude and Goodall would love to help out his Ratbirds and suspend Harrison. Make an example of a high profile player.

fdsannie
10-18-2010, 10:59 PM
This is going to open a whole can of worms and p.... people off because even with replays it is subjective. IMO

LatrobePA
10-19-2010, 08:34 AM
IMO if Harrison kept his mouth shut he'd be fine right now, but with his comments they are forced to take action....

steelchamp204
10-19-2010, 10:04 AM
If they cant tackle or hit hard above the belt, then they are going to be going for the legs, then guys will have alot more broken legs, then they will penalize guys for that, this league is starting to be an embarrasment, always something with the league offices on espn every freakin week.

LarryNJ
10-19-2010, 10:55 AM
The play was a result of a rookie QB (Mccoy) repeatedly throwing short routes and not reading the defense... He set Massoquoiui up for that hit.

That's a great point that is often over looked. Many of these QB's set the receivers up for these types of hits.

Hard hitting is and will always be part of the game. But the helmet shouldn't be used as a weapon and I think it is something that needs to be and will certainly be addressed. Do you think a $10,000 fine to someone who makes over $100,000 per week means anything? There's no doubt suspensions are coming.

Scorp
10-20-2010, 04:01 PM
No Fun League sucks.