PDA

View Full Version : Committment to the run still evident; perhaps too much?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Mendy was running hard today, he was busting tackles left and right. The OL was making some nice holes for him all day long despite the injuries to players at various time during the game. However having said that, I think we saw the traditional Bruce Arians "are you f'n kidding me" thought process in getting way too conservative. Multiple occasions we had chances to exploit the vulnerable secondary of Cleveland but yet we don't capitalize on the opportunity.

I know we need to run, and I'm glad to see we were able to continue that today, but seriously here, you've got to let Ben open it up some more and get that ball down field. This team is going to have some issues finding a balance where we let Ben make plays but still use the run that way we need too. Overall, I guess you could say not much has changed. A win is a win, I get that, and nobody is more happy than me today as we go to 4-1 but ya know you still have to scratch you're head and wonder how we'll be going forward.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-17-2010, 05:32 PM
I think in the upcoming weeks the play selection will lean toward passing. For today, running was a good call especially to take time off of the clock. I do believe, however, if Ben had hit those throws he missed in the second half, Mendy would have been on the sideline more -- unless of course they were all scores and then Arians would have run it.

SteelJunkie
10-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Arians doesn't understand that the pass sets up the run. He also doesn't understand that run, run, pass isn't fooling anyone.

jnes1216
10-17-2010, 05:41 PM
I thought the same way when it seemed we kept running up the middle in the second half for little gain. I don't mind the conservative approach, but a run to the outside or off tackle may prove more effective in moving the chains/timeclock than trying to run it down their throats when they know the run is coming.

Redman had some nice runs, good to see the contributions from him. Seems the training camp hero is panning out, unlike Hood. (another topic huh ktrain). If Redman can be effective in picking up the 3rd down blitzs like Moore I would be inclined to phase out Moore and open a roster spot for Brown who is more dynamic on the kick returns.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Arians doesn't understand that the pass sets up the run. He also doesn't understand that run, run, pass isn't fooling anyone.

That's what was driving me nuts today; that whole run run pass thing is so predictable. I know Mendy was running hard and the OL was opening up some nice holes today but still you have to mix it up more often. Being predictable at any time is not acceptable. I don't know why I'm surprised, and I guess I'm really not, but...ugh.

steelersbabex25
10-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Arians always gets on my nerves, but he was REALLY getting on my nerves today. Stupid play calls, one after another after another. Just ONCE I want a bomb to the end zone for Mike Wallace on first down. JUST ONCE. When you have the momentum, it can't hurt. Come on Arians. Tomlin kept you around for some reason, do something with our offense.

Real Deal Steel
10-17-2010, 05:52 PM

Lord knows I"m not making any excuses for Arians but I like the way he managed the game today. He easied Ben back in today. And..after that early interception, Arians had to make sure to settle things down.

Going forward, Ben will cut it loose more and Mendy will have big holes when he does run the ball. No worries.

WE ARE IN FIRST PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO STEELERS!! :tt02:

Farrior Fan
10-17-2010, 06:03 PM
i actually kinda liked the play calling, the run run pass could have been shaken up a little but for the most part it was ok. I still don't get passing on 3rd and 2 when you are averaging 4 yds per run?????????

Real Deal Steel
10-17-2010, 06:05 PM
You've got a point!

HUNT4SEVEN
10-17-2010, 06:22 PM
i actually kinda liked the play calling, the run run pass could have been shaken up a little but for the most part it was ok. I still don't get passing on 3rd and 2 when you are averaging 4 yds per run?????????

Yea the game plan started out good then went south as it always does, BA SUCKS seriously, if we ever get a real OC we are gonna be unstoppable, i hate that run run pass BS...But a win is a win and we are in 1st place:tt02:

DanRooney
10-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Redman is a Peyton Hillis clone. He is every bit of a bruiser but doesn't get enough carries.

steelersbabex25
10-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Redman is a Peyton Hillis clone. He is every bit of a bruiser but doesn't get enough carries.

Redman is great..I don't know why the Steelers have been holding out on him for so long. It seems like everytime he touches the ball something positive happens.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-17-2010, 08:46 PM
One of my biggest complaints about Bruce is he seems to never stick with what is working.....When Ben started to pick up huge chunks in the passing game then BA went away from it.........But I understand why the Steelers did run the ball more today........I do think Ben had some rust factor and he did have to shake it off........He missed some throws today which is expected and still threw for 257 with 3 TD's.......That should be enough evidence for Bruce that Ben is damn close to being fully ready and I would expect in the coming weeks that Ben will be passing 30+ a game......

--- Added 10/17/2010 at 06:46 PM ---

A black clone....ok sorry bad joke but I do like the comparison and I agree........

igor0190
10-17-2010, 11:08 PM
The Steelers let the Brownies hang around WAAAAAY too long today. One big special teams play for them and they would/could have had the lead and put us behind the 8 ball. Some more passing to get a bigger lead, more Redman, and running off tackle would have been nice to see.

LarryNJ
10-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Yes they let the Browns hand around but that's not BA's fault. I think You guys should lighten up on him... did you forget about the 2:00 minute 96 yard drive where Ben had 3 passes for about 90 yards? The game plan and calls were fine..Ben had some rust missed some throws..but shook it off nicely.

greennick
10-18-2010, 12:31 AM
I think we needed to be committed for 2 reasons. Firstly, Ben wasn't into it from the outset 100%, as seen by that first interception. Secondly, the commitment to the run game was required early to open up big plays, like those two passes in a row to Wallace and Miller. They needed to know we weren't just gonna go straight back to 2009 Steelers and throw the run game out the window.

Real Deal Steel
10-18-2010, 01:28 AM
There will be a better mix of run/pass going foward. But you have to factor in the rust that Ben had. Especially early. Arians was over protective. But you can't blame him..especially after the interception.

coldrolled
10-18-2010, 08:49 AM

the browns play calling made colt look good. arians in his typical way, makes our great O look average.

zero extension still for BA.. :tt02:

--- Added 10/18/2010 at 06:49 AM ---

There will be a better mix of run/pass going foward. But you have to factor in the rust that Ben had. Especially early. Arians was over protective. But you can't blame him..especially after the interception.

The INT.. In the Redzone again... Ben is making a habit of this.

Scorp
10-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Maybe they are just saving the best for going down the stretch.