PDA

View Full Version : With Ben's return,who will we be ?

jpele
10-16-2010, 10:10 AM
The pass offense went from averaging 27.6 attempts in 2007 to 33.5 a year ago. Roethlisberger flourished with more opportunities to throw, posting the first 4,000-yard season of his career and finishing with a passer rating over 100 for only the second time.

Roethlisberger's four-game suspension only strengthened the Steelers' desire to get back to running. It helped them mask the deficiencies of their backup quarterbacks while allowing their stifling defense to single-handedly win games. Surprisingly, the approach worked as the Steelers rolled to a 3-1 record despite being forced to start two backup quarterbacks (Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch) during the ban.

Link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b540a9/article/even-with-big-ben-back-steelers-must-retain-running-identity?module=HP_spotlight)

I'm thinking we'll be somewhere around 55% pass 45% run. I truly miss the power running game but as long as we win I really don't care.

airbrake 1
10-16-2010, 11:49 AM
a serious threat to win the super bowl

nuclearchihuahuas
10-16-2010, 11:52 AM
a serious threat to win the super bowl

Before Ben's return, I think our only serious competition in the AFC was NYJ and the ratbirds...now, we haven't play NJY yet so I still count them,but with the return or BR I think the ratbirds are done.

SteelDad
10-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Let's hope Coach T keeps a leash on Arians or he'll wear Ben's arm out by Week 10.

Farrior Fan
10-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Let's hope Coach T keeps a leash on Arians or he'll wear Ben's arm out by Week 10.

How about a leash a muzzle and a brain transplant.

I would love to see us run on 1st 70% - on 3rd and less than 3yds 75-90% - and for the love of GOD please do not get sacked or run for much of a loss when we are in FG position like our retared coaches did against the Ravens - which LOST us the game.:imho:

jpele
10-16-2010, 02:33 PM
How about a leash a muzzle and a brain transplant.

I would love to see us run on 1st 70% - on 3rd and less than 3yds 75-90% - and for the love of GOD please do not get sacked or run for much of a loss when we are in FG position like our retared coaches did against the Ravens - which LOST us the game.:imho:

:plus1:

nuclearchihuahuas
10-16-2010, 04:10 PM
I would like to see more of a 60% run, 40% pass kind of game--I think Mendy can break one or two against this Browns D but I would also love to see Ben get in a groove with Hines and Wallace.

DanRooney
10-16-2010, 04:14 PM
So do I start Philip Rivers vs. STL or Big Ben vs. CLE?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-16-2010, 04:26 PM
If you're winning and running the ball, then don't fix what ain't broke! Ben has shouldered the load of this offense pretty much since Bettis retired; it's time to let him still be Ben but keep the running game a focal point instead of an after thought. The line we have this year can do it, it's up to them as much as anyone.

Farrior Fan
10-16-2010, 05:12 PM

No brainer, Rivers...coming from me who won my league last year with Ben at the helm. I also have Ben this year but have been forced to use Favre until now...puke. I also won my league the year before last and came in 2nd the year before that.:banana:

--- Added 10/16/2010 at 03:12 PM ---

If you're winning and running the ball, then don't fix what ain't broke! Ben has shouldered the load of this offense pretty much since Bettis retired; it's time to let him still be Ben but keep the running game a focal point instead of an after thought. The line we have this year can do it, it's up to them as much as anyone.

I think against a really good D that can stop the run (Ravens) we do need to throw as much as run because while our Oline looks better than last year it is by no means elite and we just cannot run well against a stacked box. I think the key is to not be too predictable which is the only thing that is good about Arians. But on 3rd and short we just have to run to move the chains.

cmerrifield
10-16-2010, 05:21 PM

Rivers, Ben isnt as good his first week back. Look at his performances after sitting for a week with an injury. His numbers are always lower.

DanRooney
10-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Rivers, Ben isnt as good his first week back. Look at his performances after sitting for a week with an injury. His numbers are always lower.

Yeah I've noticed that too. But this isn't an injury and by practice he looks stellar. I'll be gutted if he throws for 5 TDs and I don't start him lol.

Farrior Fan
10-16-2010, 06:46 PM
I think the biggest risk is that both teams are playing lesser opponents and if one of them gets way ahead then they will not throw the ball as much. But, SD has not shown the ability to beat crappy teams this year so I would give the nod to Rivers as they could still be passing late in that game. HOPEFULLY we will be running 90% with 7 minutes to go.

Scorp
10-16-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm hoping we'll be a championship form team.

coach
10-17-2010, 12:03 AM
I'm hoping the home favorite that can cover the spread. I would normally take the dog and the 14 points.

All the normal numbers say to paly the dog. I see a fresh-faced McCoy, a gimpy Hillis, a motivated Big Ben and a D playing "lights out."

I hope they played re-runs of last year's game all week in the locker room.

Come out and play solid, take care of business, take a commanding lead and play the second and third team in the fourth quarter.