PDA

View Full Version : Steelers-Browns Rivalry ranked among world's top sporting events

MiamiU7
10-13-2010, 12:01 PM
I found an interesting website, called The Ultimate Sports List (www.tusl.com) that ranks the world's supposed 150 greatest sporting events. The Steelers-Browns rivalry makes the list, and is ranked #126 overall and #7 in the NFL (Super Bowl is #3 overall, #1 in NFL). Other NFL rivalries ranked are Packers-Bears at Lambeau, Cowboys-Redskins and Giants-Eagles.

Overall top sporting event in the world according to this site (which was supposedly done by fan voting)? The Summer Olympics.

Scorp
10-13-2010, 12:14 PM
It has been around for many, many, many, many, many, many, years. One of the best rivalries ever.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-13-2010, 01:40 PM
It is a classic rivalry that goes WAY back; most old school fans will consider it the best rivalry game the Steelers play each year. The Ravens are far more of a hated, heated rivalry over the last decade. Since the Browns beat us last year though, I'm sure this game will be more intense than in the past when we normally won most of the time.

Chiefs/Raiders, Cowboys/Redskins should be high on that list too.

harpo
10-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Well, it looks like the Steelers won't have to worry about Jerome Harrison this Sunday. He's been traded to the Eagles for Mike Bell:

Eagles trade Bell for Harrison (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/13/eagles-trade-mike-bell-to-cleveland-for-jerome-harrison/)

nuclearchihuahuas
10-13-2010, 03:36 PM
I am surprised this game is ranked so high as a rivalry. I haven't seen it that way since the original Browns moved to Baltimore. I am hoping last year's meltdown does not recur again but speaking for myself I haven't seen this browns team as a rival, well, ever. The browns that became ratbirds are the rival, this cleveland team still needs work before I consider it tough enough to be hated by me on a regular basis. :hilarious:

LarryNJ
10-13-2010, 03:42 PM
I have very fond memories of the rival from when I was a crazy teenager. For $35 we would get a bus from Wilmerding to Cleveland, all the beer you can drink on the bus, (great when you're 19! :) ) ticket to the game, and a steak dinner at the Brown Derby on the way home. It wasn't possible to go into the bathroom alone or you would get beat up. Some of the best times I've had doing anything. There were also fights at 3 Rivers but nowhere near as many as there were in Cleveland. Like today there were always way more Steeler fans in Cleveland than Browns fans in Pgh.

I went to several games in their new stadium after the got a team back. It just wasn't anywhere close to the same. I'm not sure if it's being old and more relaxed or simply you feel bad for the poor bastards. One thing that I will say is their fans are die hards and they deserve better. I hope one day soon they will be more of a challenge to play, a rivalry isn't a rivalry anymore if one team wins a high percentage of the time.

LatrobePA
10-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Well, it looks like the Steelers won't have to worry about Jerome Harrison this Sunday. He's been traded to the Eagles for Mike Bell:

Eagles trade Bell for Harrison (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/13/eagles-trade-mike-bell-to-cleveland-for-jerome-harrison/)

The Browns will be brown, pretty stupid move IMO!!

igor0190
10-13-2010, 04:35 PM
You would think Harrison has more upside... but they are actually both 27 years old which surprised me when I looked it up.

I know Bell has had some success in goal line situations... Can't see him having much of an impact in Cleveland

Harrison is probably a much better fit in the Eagles offense... Mangina just doesn't like the kid, period.

A Pac
10-14-2010, 09:59 AM
it's certainly my favorite rivalry in sports, even though it's been one sided recently. i love the atmosphere of the entire week before the game.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-14-2010, 11:49 AM
it's certainly my favorite rivalry in sports, even though it's been one sided recently. i love the atmosphere of the entire week before the game.

I have to agree with your atmosphere statement. Even though the Steelers have won the last 12 out of 13 games, the Browns fans never hang their heads or lose enthusiasm; which has got to make you respect a fan like that.

I do not know if any one else noticed but Sterling Sharpe actually picked the Browns in this game because Colt McCoy is the "winniningest college qb" and they have Hillis and a good D. I give him props for saying it but I have to disagree most vehimently. I think a new QB no matter how good is bound to have difficulties. IMHO :2cents:

Lunchbucket
10-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Got tickets for the game Sunday,I know the Browns are not what they used to be,but remember they really hurt us last year,can't under estimate them.But like I said ,I got tickets, I hate the Browns,I am getting goosebumps.LOL

coldrolled
10-14-2010, 01:30 PM
I have to agree with your atmosphere statement. Even though the Steelers have won the last 12 out of 13 games, the Browns fans never hang their heads or lose enthusiasm; which has got to make you respect a fan like that.

I do not know if any one else noticed but Sterling Sharpe actually picked the Browns in this game because Colt McCoy is the "winniningest college qb" and they have Hillis and a good D. I give him props for saying it but I have to disagree most vehimently. I think a new QB no matter how good is bound to have difficulties. IMHO :2cents:

how did colt play in preseason? didnt he get hurt?

LatrobePA
10-14-2010, 01:38 PM
how did colt play in preseason? didnt he get hurt?

Last game against the Bears he went 13-13, rumor has it he's looking great this week in practice...

Take it for what's worth I guess...He could have a good game if they take him too lightly!

DanRooney
10-15-2010, 04:36 PM
We're rivals with the Ravens now, not the Browns. It's not the 50's, 60's or 70's anymore. I mean c'mon, when someone asks who we're playing this week, and we respond with "our rival the Cleveland Browns," their reaction shouldn't be to laugh hysterically.

Scorp
10-15-2010, 07:32 PM
We're rivals with the Ravens now, not the Browns. It's not the 50's, 60's or 70's anymore. I mean c'mon, when someone asks who we're playing this week, and we respond with "our rival the Cleveland Browns," their reaction shouldn't be to laugh hysterically.

Browns are like a high school team compared to the Ravens....Still Steelers are far better. :cope:

JensK
10-16-2010, 07:54 AM
I do believe that this game is a whole lot bigger for Browns fans than for Steelers fans. We're so used to winning over Browns that we take it more or less for granted. For the same reasons, these games are always big for Browns, as a victory against us is much bigger than almost any other win.

BEREA, Ohio — Asked about his success against the Steelers, which includes returning three kickoffs for touchdowns since 2006, Cleveland Browns wide receiver Joe Cribbs credited the emotion he carried into those matchups.

"We really get up for this game," Cribbs said about Sunday's 1 p.m. contest against the Steelers at Heinz Field.

"I can't be out in the street or in a public place without hearing it from fans that they really want a win. You hear it all season and at camp. They're not even talking about our first game sometimes. They're just talking about the Pittsburgh-Cleveland Browns matchup. Everyone realizes how important this game is for us."

Cribbs had a 98-yard kickoff return in the Steelers' 27-14 win over Cleveland last season. In a late-season rematch, Cribbs rushed eight times for 87 yards, mostly out of the Wildcat formation, in the Browns' 13-6 upset victory.

Cribbs took offense when reporters asked him this week if the Browns have confidence in rookie quarterback Colt McCoy, who will make his first NFL start against the Steelers. McCoy has been thrust into the starting role with injuries to Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace.

"He's well-equipped to go in against the so-called big, bad Steelers and help us win," said Cribbs, who couldn't resist taking a dig at the Browns' biggest rival and toughest opponent.

As much as defeating the Baltimore Ravens means to the Steelers, that's how much knocking off the Steelers means to the Browns, who snapped a 12-game losing streak against the Steelers last season.

"It was something that we looked forward to doing in getting over the hump. It was something that we needed," Cribbs said. "It was a momentum-changer for us. We look forward to doing the same this year."

Second-year linebacker Marcus Benard, who didn't play in the first meeting against the Steelers, recorded two sacks in the second game.

"That was the first thing anyone told me when I came here, to beat Pittsburgh," Benard said. "I didn't quite understand, but that week, I understood."

For kicker Phil Dawson, the Browns' longest tenured player who joined the team in 1999, it was only his third win in 20 meetings against the Steelers.

Despite being on the losing end so many times, Dawson said Steelers-Browns week has always held special meaning for him.

"That's one of those things that makes this week fun," Dawson said. "We all have great jobs in this locker room. It's a blessing to be in this league. But a lot of us long for that feeling you had emotionally in college. When you have that rivalry, the tradition of two programs going against one another.

"As a guy that's been in this league a long time, it's fun to have that twice a year because some of those other games, you kind of feel like you're going to work. This feels like playing that game in the front yard you grew up playing, when you told your friend, 'run around the mailbox and I'll throw it to you.'"

Colt McCoy, who starred at Texas, said the atmosphere entering tomorrow's game reminds him of Texas-Oklahoma week.

"Very similar if you want to compare it to college," McCoy said.

"It's a special game for the people in Cleveland," Dawson said. "When I got here in '99, the one opponent every one seemed to talk about was the Pittsburgh Steelers. Having been here for 12 years, that definitely has continued to be the case. You can't go anywhere — whether it's a gas station, supermarket, whatever — without someone telling you, 'beat the Steelers, just find a way to beat the Steelers.'"

Lunchbucket
10-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Regardless of the Browns being the Browns, Don't ya think we owe them one for last year ?

Farrior Fan
10-16-2010, 12:34 PM
yeah, we owe them big time. As for Colt just go to 4:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCaxf_Px6Nc

I really do feel bad for the guy

BlitzburghRockCity
10-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Considering how lopsided the score was, it was really still in doubt until midway through the 3rd quarter when we went up 14-3. This game, no matter how many times we beat them, is still fun to watch and as evident by all the injuries, still a physical battle.

Scorp
10-18-2010, 12:51 PM
:goodpost: